/mag/

/mag/ - Martial Arts General

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and facts:
blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

LIST OF COMBAT PROVEN, EFFECTIVE STYLES:

•Boxing
•BJJ
•Muay Thai (supplement with Taekwondo, optional)
•Kyokushin Karate
•Greco-Roman Wrestling
•Catch Wrestling
•Sanda/Sanshou
•Sambo/Combat Sambo
•Judo
•MMA (cheaper and easier than studying the above individually)

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:

•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•Participants compete at amateur or professional level
•Physical condition part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

Other urls found in this thread:

horizonma.com/
buffalounitedmartialarts.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=j2M32B7BtxA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This is my dilemma:

Lift heavy weights so i get bigger, chances are gypsies won't attack me since they always go for the weakest possible target..

OR

Martial arts, so i have a slight chance of defending myself once they attack me.

For this year, i chose the first one..

Lift weights to get big for the time being (if you're tall it helps even more), walk with a sense of purpose, don't be afraid

However I also advise boxing once or twice a week for cardio, more confidence, plus self defense

And they'll respect you more because they like boxing

I am not completely sure if i got enough time for gym+boxing at the same time. Oh yeah, and money neither.

Being a student, and currently trying to complete two BA degrees at the same time + part time job + gf + College for advanced studies. Hope i can start some martial art training next year.

Opinions about MuayThai for a person without any fighting experience?

this martial arts shit sound pretty good. I dont have time to go to a gym , or something like that, and in my country, only way you can do a sport, is to start young... like 12-13 years old.
Is there a martial art style that can be doing at home? where I can find instruction for this?

It's great. It'll kick your ass first session (due to intensity of the movement and such, not literally lol) but you'll get into it quick

It feels great because you feel badass, learning all these ways to move your body that you'd previously only see on TV. You'll almost certainly progress well, start sparring when you can and train hard and you'll be golden

You don't have to start young to be good at MA. You'll never be world level maybe, but easily competent enough to kick most ass. I would heavily advise doing martial arts at home as you will almost certainly get things wrong, drill bad habits (no one there to correct you) and no sparring so you can't actually test your skills. If you absolutely must stay at home for whatever reason, I advice doing a solid 3 months minimum of boxing then buying a heavy bag and practicing combos, which can be found on YouTube/learnt at class

But I say again, I REALLY advise you to go and get some initial training at a gym first

Karate has its place but I don't think anyone should just do full contact karate by itself. You'll lose to a boxer or thai boxer every time

True, I'll change the OP around next time

Why doesn't Veeky Forums like martial arts?

Probably because narcissism and steroids won't save you from someone who knows what they're doing

Any other ex-pro fighters here?

I was pro kickboxing for 5 years and pro boxing for 7, in all I was gettig paid to fight about for 10 years all up. I had pro fights in both disciplines over that time, bit of overlap once I started pro boxing. Never made it out of Australia unfortunately

Just want to hear some other guys experiences with the fight game and retired life.

Most people can't handle actual martial arts training so they don't have anything to say in these threads.

My hands get super fucking sweaty in boxing gloves and its causing my knuckles to tear up when I punch. What do?

Wrist wraps you dongus

Where are you that gypsies are a major problem?

I use wraps

Going to get my purple belt soon boys

I had the same problem and this is what it can end up looking like. That same knuckle on both hands looks like that from punching/knuckle push ups. Some people get it some don't

Either man up or put your hands in petrol every day like that old gypsy boxer

is it better to do MT or straight boxing

or start off as boxing and then do MT?

i feel like Muay thai have worse hands

i'm starting bjj this week. will go to class at 5:30 am. dont know if i will be able to be consistent

Muay Thai has great hands for Muay Thai.

If I had my time again I would have boxed first, just so that the footwork and strategy of boxing was more natural for me. I'd say try both and see which feels more natural, but if you want to be a fighter I'd say start with boxing. A good boxing base will take you a long way in amateur MT.

It's not completely fair to say MT has bad hands, because the style is so different. You can't set up or ground yourself for a lot of punches the same way you can in boxing because you leave yourself open to elbows, knees and getting thrown by a good clincher.

But as I said, a genuinely good boxing base helps a lot, especially when fights go the distance and you both don't have the energy for non stop kicks/knees

I kinda figured it might be inevitable. Had two nice divots on my middle knuckles but I let them heal up over a vacation. Guess I'll suck it up again.

im 5'8 170lb and ive dont jiu jitsu for 6 years, im so fucking confident whenever I go anywhere. its a good feeling being able to throw around 6ft 200lb guys around like babys

You could try wrapping your hands differently, building up the wrap so it pads over your knuckles as well as bracing. Might help? Never did for me but it's worth a shot, people comment on my hands a lot and it's annoying

Dang, go hard!

How long have you been training?

I joined my gym just over 5 years ago. I was out for a year though as a white belt with shoulder surgery. Did a small amount of training before that, but I would barely count it.

was shoulder injury bjj related

I don't think it was. Was preexisting, just got worse. Might have been from skiing.

bullshit. "full contact" isn't full contact to begin with. UFC without a cage

im 40 and am taking up bjj, but am unsure about boxing and muay thai because of head punching probably not good at my age (or any age) , but some people seem to be able to take it

nice bjj is literally the only thing I enjoy in life

If you do taekwondo don't even bother posting itt

what is fits opinion of wing chun kung fu?

I practiced it for 2 years before I had to stop for grad school and am looking to get back into something

>mfw I work at my gym

thinking about joining the judo club at my uni

problem is i broke my collarbone last year playing rugby and had to take a few months off lifting

are injuries common in judo? i understand the first thing you learn is how to fall so i feel i may just be paranoid

hey that's how i feel about oly lifting

Shoulder injuries extremely common. Give it a shot though.

Meme kung fu.

lol jk, it's great for reflexes, you have to get a really good instructor though. I wouldn't recommend it as a primary martial art, but supplementary it can do wonders and it's really fun.

Go for it, but don't believe those stupid Donnie Yen movies

Don't stress about it, I trained plenty of guys that age for their first fights and as long as you're smart in training and don't go to war in sparring every day you'll be ok. People seem to think you take a punch and turn into Gerald Mclelland but it's not anything like that

Unless you're impossibly unlucky

i want to do oly or powerlifting soon; but not sure how to organize with my bjj

maybe i'll lift oly lift 3 times a week and do bjj 4-5 and take sunday off

Basically what this guy said

thanks

yeah yen movies are fun to watch, but when he chain punched that jap into the ground it was not realistic

I would say if you are REALLY into bjj this would be beneficial, since there's a lot of strength involved, but it may be too much for your body.
What you could do is split your days so you have some to rest

I always admired the speed and control required for wing chun, it's some next level shit

ya i may have to take more rest than i'd like

How much brute strength do you need in bjj? I know technique is king but it seems like you still need to be bloody strong

you build your own personal game based off what works for you, but it takes years to develop, you dont have to be super strong, you build great stregnth in gi training with all the grips

It's good to be strong, but endurance is more important. Some moves are really hard to do against stronger people, and some aren't that much harder. A lot of it comes from technique and movement.

I will say that our best grappler is inhumanly strong. I feel like a child when grappling with him. He was a high level D1 wrestler in addition to being a a former UFC fighter.

For instance, the current champ Tyrone Woodley said to Rashad Evans after saying he wanted to wrestle him: "He will crumple you." He had beaten both of them in college.

He's the sort of strong though that you don't get from lifting. I don't know how to describe it.

Anyways, an example from today might help. For instance, one of our guys is very strong from lifting. He is a personal trainer. He is a purple belt. I am a blue belt. We went live twice today. I submitted him once and held him down in side control for most of the rounds. I was able to do that because I am better than him. The submission was a leglock which tend to require less strength. I wasn't able to perform any upper body locks though due to his strength. However, on all accounts you would say that I won mostly because I was better. I am a bit bigger, but he is definitely stronger.

PLEASE MAKE THIS THREAD A REGULAR HERE!

I fucking hate /asp/. they just suck WWE dick and ironically recommend systema and kungfu

>I miss old /asp/

Go to the alternative sports board, we don't need yet another general

idk much aboot old /asp/ but its fucking cancer now

horizonma.com/

McDojo?

yeh my bullshit detector is going off. isnt there any legit bjj schools in buffalo?

>Buffalo
>legit
Pick one. Easily the worst city I've ever lived in.

buffalounitedmartialarts.com/

This looks much better though, no?

...I miss Miami.

any other wrestlers here? Struggling to find a place around me. Its hard, grappling is one of the few things i truly enjoy.

fuck off m8 /asp/ is full of faggots

oh yeah your right. i was thinking albany, they have a 10th planet school.

that one looks way better, at least its not aimed at kids

Who is the dindu? That kick was fucking surgical.

Kys faggot

Uriah hall

How many times a year did you usually fight? What was the pay like?

Any NZ bros know a good place to learn?

Only have time forBJJ or MT, which one?

Hungary

>Veeky Forums
>not /aes/thetics
>not /bb/uilding
>not faggit board
Leave, my boy.

/mag/ sounds good my dude

What is this move called?

Bump

deadlift

I'm a lazy piece of shit, cycle a lot and do some running. I can never get myself to the gym though. I'm considering joining a Muay Thai gym and go their beginners classes. I have basically done no strength and conditioning for 4 years. Will I just embarrass myself? I am not a fat fuck or anything, I do have some stamina.I just think that working out while doing a martial art, with a consistent group of people, might actually get me to stick to something for a change. Or am I delusional?

Please, PLEASE keep making these threads. /asp/ fucking sucks dick and /sp/ just shitpost about ufc, no training threads or actual content.

I did MMA last year, will continue from September after exams, trying to build a solid strength and conditioning base until then.
Would love to do straight boxing or bjj additionally but no time and money.

I was probably my most fit doing track in high school when your a part of a good group you won't want to miss out on being there.

>tfw Monday, start of my 6 day workout week

Feels good brah. Get to spar twice this week. Going to get my bells rung but I'll make sure I ring a few as well .

Airing out the wraps since they smell like death

oh god, Mackenzie Dern.... she knows how hot she is

Been doing BJJ more than a decade, I'm mid 20s, and I tweaked something in my lower back while rolling that felt like a siatica attack.

Any way to prevent this in the future, was it just back luck,

Old asp was the tits, it was this thread but the whole board

We even had our own supermang called Wu Style Tai Chi

It was great, fucking gook hiro

Anywhere between 3-10 a year. depending on how badly I got hurt in each fight. Some of those were 4 or 6 man eliminators so you're fighting two or three times in the one night there

I got paid fuck all, the least I got was 200 bucks for showing up to this absolute shit show of promotion. The most I made was 2k

Sparring is the best, I miss it a lot. Light sparring, working on tricks and feints and angles was the shit

Go for it. You'll probably feel uncoordinated and useless next to the fighters and regulars at first but stick with it for at least two weeks and give yourself a chance to get your head around some basics.

I guarantee you, 100 fucking percent, that you will not regret it.

Fuck I miss old /asp/ nowadays you get one grappling general and nothing else

I was looking into Judo because I heard that its the boxing of grappling, in that its cheap and effective.

All the judo places near me are like $10 a session and that works out to be the price of some of the MMA places near me. I just wanna learn to throw people fuck

So it is decided that manlets should grapple and lankets should strike yeah?

same here. I like all the grappling sports though.

supplex
This looks more like a dl.
gif related

how big should I be before I take up kickboxing?

I'd feel like a bit of a tit going in there in my current state (6'5 skelly)

Everyone should grapple and strike

youtube.com/watch?v=j2M32B7BtxA

Don't, you'll be GOAT if you train and compete in small weight classes

Literally train as you are now, if you are worried about strength don't be, it'll all be covered.

BJJ

Hey Veeky Forums, next summer when I have more time and money I was thinking about starting martial arts training. I'm relatively strong (500lb deadlift, 405 squat, 300 bench) but I got some bodyfat, I'm certainly overweight.

I was thinking about learning either Boxing or MMA, not only because I want to learn how to fight but also I hear it's a great way to get into and stay in peak physical condition.

Any recommendations? I'm a complete noob to martial arts

Boxing !!

MMA m80

if your a complete noob then doing MMA will expose you to all the different aspects of fighting and you can find what you like the most

Any of you fags could pull this off in a street fight?

>WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
>•Cult-like atmosphere

What did he mean by this?

Against some guy on the streets ? Yeah

Against a pro fighter ? Fuck no.

I wasn't going to, but I feel like now I have to.

fuck man, that combo was incredible. That's some IRL daigo shit.

he literally looks like someone who slowed down time to land those punches.

In this clip,Cerrone fights like most guys imagine they would fight in real life

dogmatic

Fuck off the /asp/

I went and tried a Gracie Barra JJ gym that didn't allow you to use gis other than theirs to promote their own company. They would also bring in guests from their HQ and charge like $50 to go and attend their "lecture" which was likely all geared towards promoting their shitty brand.

Needless to say, I went and found a local boxing gym run by a former Olympic boxer from Guatemala. Way cheaper and he coaches guys that actually compete. I'm still interested in learning JJ just not with GB.

That sounds epic famm .
My trainer used to do mitt work with Jermain Taylor