/owg/ Olympic Weightlifting General

ded thread eddition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qVaak__Zpkk
youtu.be/_52htpg8pTE?t=175
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf9MwAgG4QCVedhHvJRYPyKFQdDZWbStwDYbB9eFwbdXWM6rg/viewform
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Guys, the only coach near me is a meme tier coach who I've been told by you guys and Reddit is bad, so now I have two options.

Do I wait for a couple years until I move and there is a good coach to where I'm moving? And in this time, do parts of the lifts and strength work but not full lifts(like pulls? Or is that too technical?)

Or do I try to teach myself and constantly post videos to here and WLforums?

go to a seminar that teaches you technique and programming. then train on your own.

Got my Second ever comp on Saturday, and my first 'proper' comp (I did one in November but I'd only been oly lifting once a week for a couple months)

My numbers are pretty crap but I should be opening my snatch with what my last c&j was in the first one lol

Aiming to go 6/6 rather than hit any crazy (for me) numbers

Anyone else competiting soon?

it's certainly possible to teach yourself but it comes down to what kind of a learner you are. what would benefit you a lot is mastering high bar atg squat, front squat and over head squat. I would recommend this channel for learning his snatch tutorial is 10/10 youtube.com/watch?v=qVaak__Zpkk

That's why I wonder, are drills or different movements instead of the full lifts less technical/room for error?

Even with a my current coach that you guys didn't like, I can't clean 60kg. I can squat 140kg and FS 110kg. Which is why I'm really unsure, maybe I'm just terrible at learning the movements so doing them myself would be an even worse idea?

I'm also incredibly slow at everything and every transition for some reason it's like I can't be fast at all.

with a 140kg squat you should be able to clean 60kg with ease even with bad technique. you have to treat learning the snatch or clean and jerk like learning how to back flip. you cant just jump in at the deep end you will get hurt and it will be difficult. imo you should start with cleans pulling from blocks so the bar is 2-3 inches below the hip crease. and for the snatch start with and exercise called the "snatch balance" these 2 drills will compliment each other and when you feel confident on those 2 then you can start thinking about learning the full lifts

Thank you I'll try getting good at those, is it ok to do it from hang if no blocks?

Also, my arms will start bent at elbows right?

Man you aren't ready for snatch balances, I highly doubt you have the flexibility in the shoulders or ankles if you can clean properly.

Here is a special drill that might work, once it clicks for cleans it will for snatches. Attack two bands to heavy kettle bells or weights and attach them either side of the bar. Make it so the bands are a bit tight when you stand up in the top of a deadlift. Perform some hang cleans like this, but consciously pull yourself under the bar into a full squat. Obviously don't stand up in the squat or shit will break. I've done this with cleans and jerks separately and it really helps to cue you to get UNDER the bar.

Hope that helps a bit, but listen to your coach before you listen to us.

you need either blocks or you could use safety bars on a power rack or squat rack. because this will force you to pop really fast since you only have 2-3 inches of room. arms will be straight for the initial pull.

Hang is good for beginners because you have a chance to feel the position and balance more than on blocks.

who exactly is this coach?

Mark Rippetoe

So does like oly lifting just mean clean and jerk or am I missing something

Snatch and clean and jerk

If you're serious, I think Wichita Falls has a barbell club that's run out of Texoma. Hit up their coach and if he's shit, just try and teach yourself. Rippetoe is definitely a meme-tier coach, he'll have you gain 50lbs and low bar shit squat.

>Rippetoe is definitely a meme-tier coach, he'll have you gain 50lbs and low bar shit squat.
Fuck you. I deadlift, squat, and clean more then you. All thanks to ripptoe

And thats without looking like a fat milk sumo

Wanna know how I know your lifts are 90/120?

I can tell you that Rip has never coached a lifter beyond those numbers, considering he's not a weightlifting coach. The only successful lifters out of WFAC were coached by Pendlay. There's a post online where Rip even straight up says his total was around 90/120. Only a retard would want to be coached in the olympic lifts by him.

not even the poster you're replying to but

wtf does that even mean

This isn't me. No I just explained his methods here once and posted a video and you guys said it was bad.

There's a coaching video on YouTube of a kid at his gym with a clean and jerk over 150.

Numbers alone don't mean much in terms of coaches. A talented lifter can hit big numbers on their own. The real test is where they were at before they were coached.

first heavy day off a deload lads. I'm so excited

Is my position any good? Lowest point of snatch

Looks pretty good

learn to into commas

I'm jelous

what are blueshoes powerlifting stats? he looks like he hasnt changed since I started lifting 3mo ago

I can power snatch better than full snatch right now

29yr old, lanklet, inflexible. When I full snatch I often catch high ride it in and with heavier weights I get all wobbly.

I've been told to allow myself to catch it high if I can so not to worry about going under during the lift, and over time chip away at the mobility issues etc, sounds legit? I wish I could fix my mobility issues overnight.

Do not have a problem in the clean so guessing it's upper back/shoulders?

rip's entire career has been making weak people strong

the people that bash rip are dyel internet hipsters mate. if you actually read his book the diet recommendation is literally 'maintain the upper end of 15-20% bodyfat by adjusting caloric intake'.

it should tell u something that 80% of this board thinks 1/2/3/4 in a year is impossible while rip produces multiple per year since the '80s

this is owg, if we were talking about general strength training, Rip is definitely legit. he's an expert at getting lanklets strong, and that is definitely admirable. every word that comes out of his mouth about olympic weightlifting is total bullshit though, especially his complaints about how "weak" American lifters are. Kendrick Farris is at least as strong, if not stronger, than a lot of the 94kg weightlifters in the world when it comes to squats and pulls, the dude just has shit technique. Low bar squats and high hips in the pull are not going to solve our shitty infrastructure and support for weightlifting in America.

so much this

It's not about weak vs strong. You can be strong as fuck but terrible at oly lifting.

Rip is good at getting people strong in the squat, dead, bench and press. He's not a weightlifting coach.

youtu.be/_52htpg8pTE?t=175

>And that's a Snatch

(3 min in)

pretty sure he squatted 4 plates and pressed a little over one, other than that no one knows

rumor has it he's on the juice

Aside from the immensely unimpressive weight, what is wrong with the OP webm?

Hey me, how's it going aged 29?
Still haven't unfucked your shoulders yet?
I'm guessing those Overhead squats we did wasn't enough then.

Hey /owg/, wannabe powershitter getting into olys for fun.

How the hell do you set these?
I put on a weight that I can easily OHP 5x5 with, for C&J, and it beat the crap out of me.
I am guessing 5x5 is just not the way to go, should I be doing something like 7x3 or some other mutant numbers?

if you're doing just the bar you can do many sets of many reps

if you're doing with weight a good guideline is to not go over 4 reps and like 6-12 sets is good

Hello frend
It's going ok desu I think I will hit 200 total this year and also hopefully maybe even 100sn
If I go 6/6 with any thing over 180 total on Saturday I b happy

Even tho sn keeps improving I just power everything, frustrating knowing if I had a good receive my numbers be a lot more

oct 22

>weight back down to 67.5
thats what i get for going on this trip aswell as food poinsoning

first listing sesh back td, light sn cj and some bb shit

>pic of him in the bottom of 3 plates

ill believe it when i see vid

hey fgts

last chance. I'm going to be taking the survey down in about an hour or so to start working on the results.

docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf9MwAgG4QCVedhHvJRYPyKFQdDZWbStwDYbB9eFwbdXWM6rg/viewform