It's impossible for me to keep balance in the proper squat form. I fall backwards

It's impossible for me to keep balance in the proper squat form. I fall backwards.

I've watched all the videos and practiced with a light bar or even just a stick but I just can't do it. If I were to extend my arms all the way forward I can find a balance but not with my hands on the bar. I can also lean too much forward to be proper form to achieve balance. The low bar squat position I find doable but trying to reach high bar just makes me fall on my ass.

How do I fix this?

Other urls found in this thread:

breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/a-weak-foundation-how-to-screen-your-ankles-improve-performance-and-decrease-injur
youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

stretch

Idk man. How strong are you?

what's a good way to stretch my chins/front of calves? I think they're the issue
idk not very I can squat 5x5*60kg just fine and don't feel pain anywhere and I thought I had ok form and was going to up the weights but then I heard you're not supposed to feel it in your lower back so apparently my form wasn't so good because that's where it hits

there will always be some forward lean, even in a high bar squat. how much depends on your body type. post a video

how is this supposed to be balanced? it's even worse in real life because your arms add to the rear half too which doesn't show from a side view like this

if you find low bar more comfortable, then fucking do low bar. stop listening to memers on Veeky Forums

You most likely have horrible ankle flexibility, which pushes your knees and hips backwards, resulting in all of your weight being behind the balance point. Try putting small plates under your heels when you squat, I'm very certain this will fix your issue. If so, start working on your ankle flexibility too.

Start on smith machine, put feet far enough forward do that bar supports you upright and without it, You'd fall backwards.feet in front of you, nit under you. Think standing leg press

Because the center of mass of the system is the barbell and its weights

The issue is general flexibility
probably tight hips should be your focus

Shit advice, don't use machines, OP

but it's not at center
I was thinking this. Smith would make sure I'm going straight up and down (only as practice until going back to freeweight) but also I could develop a bad habit of leaning on the bar without noticing.
You're probably right. I wonder if there are good ankle flexibility practices I could do while sitting down.

actually I got into "optimal range" on all three of these tests so I don't think the problem is ankles but I will keep working on them regardless

breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/a-weak-foundation-how-to-screen-your-ankles-improve-performance-and-decrease-injur

my appreciation physician

I think a key might be to push the whole foot into the ground. I had a similar problem when I focused on just having the heel stable in the ground, but then I worked on ankle mobility and flexibility, and started focusing on having both the heel and the big toe as well as the little toe stable on the floor. Now it's much more natural.

Video your lift and see what's wrong.

You have fucked up shoulders senpai

I find my form is piss poor when there's shit all weight on the bar, but improves as I get to lmao1pl8. Maybe that's just because I'm warming up though...

Is it normal to feel squatting in your lower back? Not painfully like an injury just the burn of using those muscles.

I'm 100% sure I do NOT bend my back like a cat but I think all of my back is way too horizontal compared to the proper form. It's just the only way I can stay upright while going that low.

Squatting actually comes down to proportions and not flexibility per se.

youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk

Video yourself and you might be able to see where you're going wrong. The bar should LOOK like you're on a Smith machine (i.e. going straight up and down) even though you're not.

If you want to, you can post video here and we can give you specific pointers on your form.

I found proper bracing removed all lower back pain.

Calves: stand about 30 cm away from a wall, facing it; lean forward with your heels touching the ground. If you don't feel the stretch, just take a step back and attempt the stretch once again.

Hips: slavsquatting, gymnastic bridges, hip circles.

Hamstrings: hands to toes, legs straight.

That's all you need for proper squat mobility.
If you will still have problems, try doing yoga in general. If you will still have shit mobility, then go see a doctor.

O L Y M P I C L I F T I N G S H O E S

>It's impossible for me to keep balance in the proper squat form. I fall backwards.
>
>I've watched all the videos and practiced with a light bar or even just a stick but I just can't do it.

A loaded bar will provide enough counterweight to put you in balance. I can't squat without falling forwards or backwards either unless I put my arms in front of my, lose all tightness in my torso or put weight on the bar.

I did and I know what the problem is. My form looks like the one on the right, the low bar squat form. But I place the bar high and want to do a high bar squat yet I just simply cannot balance like that. I know exactly how I should adjust my stance (ass lower, angle of torso less horizontal) but I'm already at the edge of my balance and any further movement towards that desired position sends me on my ass.

I know my problem, I just don't know how to fix it. The bar (or in this case the hockey stick) does go smoothly up and down in a straight line at least.
Thanks a bunch

You're right I definitely feel more stable when with weights (even though I'm just doing 60kg) but I'm worried about hurting my lower back if I keep doing it wrong(?)

Ok now listen, ignore the proportion fags. I have what is considered to be bad proportion and long femurs but my squat looks picture perfect and feels it.

You need to stretch, a lot.
Ankles/Calves, Quads/Hip, Upper Back/Lats.

Stretch everywhere really but they have the biggest effect, it's totally possible, I've done it and my squat was disgusting. It takes time but you will see massive improvements if you can stretch 1-2x day everyday.

I recommend searching "Emmet Louis Head to Toe" and working towards that. The stretch in your calves is huge and your squat will be amazing.

>and long femurs but my squat looks picture perfect and feels it.

t. PhD Layne Norton, PhD.

thanks I'll check those videos out

Kek seriously though, if you have long femurs and good enough ankle mobility, you can get pretty upright and your squat looks much deeper because of the length of femur. Also, make sure weight is mid foot and not heels.

If you're not stretching the body parts involved in your lift that day you're missing out on gains

>weightlifting shoes for that stance

As long as you mean after you lift.

I stretch a couple hours before I lift and before bed. It's fine to stretch for 10-15s if you need to immediately before you lift, I'm not sure how that meme keeps getting spread. It was a study and involved intense stretching literally seconds before a lift was done.

What matters is that you hit the positions you want, if you have to stretch a little, that fine.

I was stuck at just over 2pl8 for ages before I fixed up my flexibility which led to form gains and everything just clicked.
I'm now squatting 180kg for a max at 72kg BW.