RANGER

So Veeky Forums I've got the opportunity of a lifetime to go to ranger school, basically one of the toughest schools in the army. Just found out I have a slot to go today, but I have to qualify on the Ranger Physical Assessment aka 49 perfect form push ups in 2 mins (I've heard guys say they'll end up doing 100+ and still will only have half of them count), do like 59 sit ups in 2 mins (easy), run 5 miles in under 40 minutes, and execute 6 metronome chin-ups.

So my shitty situation is I can only do about 30 perfect form push ups (I can do more half assed ones for normal PT tests, but they're strict as hell at ranger), 6 chin ups on a good day, and last time I ran that distance a few days ago I was hitting ~8:50 mile pace (though I ran during the heat in the afternoon, not in the relatively cool morning). The Ranger Physical Assessment is just over one month away. Is there anything I can do to improve myself in that time to hit Ranger standards or am I just screwed? I've been doing a lot more push ups sort of sporadically throughout the day and I think I'll start trying to run 5-6 mile easy runs to try to rebuild some of my aerobic capacity. Anything else I can do? Nutrition? Obviously can't put on a bunch of weight because all the exercises are bodyweight and that's counter productive.

Thanks Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

hundredpushups.com/.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also I've ran like 5 miles at 7:30 pace on a treadmill recently, but obviously that apparently isn't translating to outdoor running.

Bumpin cause I'm concerned for my future

Holy shit that assessment sounds easy as fuck. Those are the bare minimums i'm assuming? I'm in the DEP for CCT right now and the ranger school test sounds like pussy shit.

I have passed a similar school in my country and fitness wise they ate the same. Here is what you do:

- look up stew smith . the guy is the absolute guru when it comes to military fitness.
- for pushups work them in a reverse pyramid 2 times a day. Start with 25 , 22, work to 3. Also try to do 50 pullups a day.
- cut back on the weights, lean out and run a fuckton. Try to do 10 km a day.
- do not ruck. You will blow your knees out and it wont prove your rucking. Instead do a shitton of ab work, im talking about 300 situps and 400 flutter kicks daily for example, look up stew smith programs.

You need to run in a course. If you can run on dirt even better. Do not run on pavement.

You better hold back get your ass in shape and try pre-ranger. Some of My btn buddies got the patch and still bolo-ed the course.

But if your going to try, pushup every hour, timed and drop your max add one more everyday. Eat protein, water, fiber no partying. Ruck your balls off with 55ibs and get proper recovery and sleep.

Good luck, learn the creed before you go. I assume you are 11b, if not better lead some patrols with your bros.

best thing you can do is find someone with a tab and ask for them to mentor you and not ask on a mongolian bbq sauce trading board

If you can't max that shit don't even bother.

Right now I'm just trying to get in shape for the RPA. If I do pass the RPA, my commander is gonna okay me for the school which I'd be attending probably early spring around March so I'd have plenty more time to work on maxing.

What you do out field is wayyyyyyyyyyyy harder.

Run every morning.
Grease the groove with push ups and pull ups: multiple times spread throughout the day, smash a set of your max-or more.
You better git gud at pack stomping too fgt. If youre this unorepared, im gonna assume youre not even infantry.

Best of luck

>o my shitty situation is I can only do about 30 perfect form push ups (I can do more half assed ones for normal PT tests, but they're strict as hell at ranger), 6 chin ups on a good day, and last time I ran that distance a few days ago I was hitting ~8:50 mile pace
You aren't very fit bro are you sure you want this? Do intervals to get used to running the pace you need, start short distance then build up, practice push ups and pull ups as often as you can but maintain perfect form and with the chin ups try to do them to the count because the pause at top and bottom takes getting used to.

I'm not infantry, I'm just a fat tanker. I know I'm in piss poor shape right now but ideally I should be in decent shape when I would actually attend the course. The trick is getting my CO to say he's willing to send me.

Lmao this.

6 chin ups? Wtf? I do 6 chin ups in 70lbs of gear

Bust your ass to top the score. The real bare minimum is to have max score

The assessment is the bare minimum. If you are not able to complete the minimum standards consistently, might as well hold off and prepare yourself for another chance in the future.

>Black and Yellow board
AnCap?

That's just so you can class up. Ranger school begins when you actually go in the field.

OP should be worrying more about opord's, landnav, and lack of sleep.

Go to Ranger school. Make friends with people who went to wizard school, rogue school and priest school. Form a party and go adventuring.

>nobody ever care about bard school

Go to Ranger school. Make friends with people who are going to wizard school, rogue school and priest school. Form a party and go adventuring.

First congrats. Ranger school is hardcore.

Second, I'm amazed how lax your commanders are in administering the APFT. My pushups were always required to be good form (what a fucking nightmare), I had never heard Ranger standards were different.

Third, you can improve a lot in a month. Get a plan and stick with it. This guy is right: , get guidance from someone who's been through (I have not).

But if you insist on getting your info from fit here are my tips:
1. Eat a ton of protein, 1g per pound per day max. But try not to gain too much weight otherwise.
2. Do a FUCK TON of push ups, like do them whenever you have time, throughout the day, AT LEAST 100 per day. Try something like this: hundredpushups.com/. Though you'll need rest days and strength days so figure that out.
3. Do strength training. Something like 5x5 on bench, three times a week, starting at a challenging weight and adding 5lbs each session.
4. Find a running plan online for a 5 mile race or 10k and follow it.
5.Do your cardio right after your strength whenever possible.
6. Take a few days of total rest before the test.

I am assuming you are not currently enlisted because if you were already through your basic and AIT you wouldn't be asking.Unless things have changed in 20 years. When they tell you ranger school or ranger contract that doesn't mean shit. What it really means is after you go through Basic, AIT, and Jump School you will be assigned to a Ranger Reg and then if your a total bad ass you might get to go through Ranger School and your fitness level will be the least of your worries. Also speaking from someone who also thought 59 sit ups would be easy it is not when half of them don't count because your ass moved 1 mm. At any rate I would recommend you run 2 to 5 miles a day and do push ups until your are comfortable doing 50 or more, same with sit ups. Do lots of burpees and flutter kicks for your abs. I would recommend experimenting doing all of these on less then 5 hours of sleep. Good luck

Fucking lol. Moar

Yes idiot, you can read the fucking sticky and start fucking training. If they test push ups, sit ups and pullups, then fucking train those. If you are still a fucking idiot the im glad, i want foreign armies to be full of idiots for when we take over the world.

Alloha akbar