Weird insect energy bars on Kickstarter

I found a kickstarter campaing offering 20g protein bars with protein coming from crickets. I found few more companies offering this. They say it is healthy, sustainable, good for workouts. That KS campaign company is saying that it is moral to kill crickets because it is better than to kill cattle. Do you agree? Could be trolled, right?

don't they already add bugs to stirfry in some southeast asian countries?

You don't have to kill cattle to get protein (you can get it from milk), so the moral argument is stupid.

Aside from that, insects are pretty much all protein so I imagine that cricket protein has got to be pretty effective.

If they're cheaper than normal brotein bars I'd go for it

>You don't have to kill cattle to get protein (you can get it from milk), so the moral argument is stupid.

You'd be saving cows from a lot of suffering, tho

Who gives a fuck. I love burgers

>so the moral argument is stupid.
No its not. Compared to cows stuck in cages on Auschwitz tier farms while they are being pumped full of hormones and all kinds of shit, you would decrease suffering. Which makes for a good moral argument.

>it's ok to kill several millions of insects but not ok to kill one cow

You monsters.

>living beings with about a year life span

who gives a fuck

I fucking wish this could be commonplace and people wouldn't freak out about it because 'icky insects'

Great source of protein and cheap as fuck, but the consumer base just doesn't exist yet to make it a viable product everywhere

That, and cattle farming the the extent the human race does it is fucking terrible for the environment

Have had crickets before, pretty crunchy. Would definitely eat these bars if they didn't cost an arm and a leg, I bet they'll have a similar taste to those chocolate and puffed rice bars-- but healthier of course.

Insects are cheap as shit to produce, so if these things got popular they wouldn't cost too much

>You don't have to kill cattle to get protein (you can get it from milk), so the moral argument is stupid.

>implying that buying and consuming dairy proucts isn't contributing to rape and murder.

Ok.

>you can get it from milk
oh yeah all that protein packed with all those estrogens are so good

in theory, production of insects for human food is cheap, but the current reality is that the western producers of insects & insect flour charge a large premium for their products. it is (or was last year when i looked at it) more expensive to consume insects than it is to consume farm animals if you are in europe or north america.

these bars aren't a bad idea, but currently a lot of people who produce insects for food use the novelty argument as their main marketing ploy. sustainability and the relatively low amount of resources needed compared to farm animals are the main benefits. compassion isn't a great marketing tag either.

the time will come when crickets and mealworms are a mainstream food, but the products and the price aren't their yet.

i'd try the OP product. i've ate insects before, they're nothing great or nothing bad.

>snowpiercer

I fucking hate The West and their rejection of insect protein. People eat insects all over the world and they are good for your health. The reason I can't go to the store and buy a $1.50 protein bar that has 22g of insect protein is because snooty fucking white people won't eat it, even if it has a good taste, because "omg it comes from insects that is gross xD" so no company can become successful doing this.

Insect protein would solve 100% of all the shit "vegans" and other tumblrsluts claim to care about. Insect protein is 100% cruelty free, unless you actually believe bugs have feelings, it's sustainable and doesn't cause global warming, it has tons of protein and it's healthy. The West should be all over this shit especially with how popular these gay vegan "documentaries" get.

>it's immoral to kill and eat a breed of animal that's sole purpose is to be eaten

They might cost a lot because its a niche item that hipsters will buy up because no: >cow torture

And as society accepts insects as a viable food source more and more it will become less of a niche product. Competitors will pop up and can compete with each other, lowering overall prices

Well it's more environmentally friendly to farm crickets (aka locusts when they enter their gregarious phase). It takes 5-10x less energy to raise 1g of protein from crickets than beef.

And far less ressources, like water for example

Ok,This shit is starting to get scary
I am actually afraid for the future now
Actual chef here

At Uni and almost every cooking/garden forum i browse you see people shilling nonstop for incorporating insects into the human diet,i mean a huge influx of people shilling that weren't there last year or known at all in the local cooking community.

At Unis the same people who shill marxist bullshit are the ones who are telling people how "insects are the future"

Even Culinary arts is not safe

Bullshit

Someone,somewhere WANTS YOU,THE AVERAGE PERSON TO EAT NOTHING BUT INSECTS

DO NOT FOLLOW THIS NARRATIVE

This thread got me thinking I might support them...

There will still be room for "real food" in the world

How about you incorporate these into your own food creations? Stop helping kill the world faster because you're stuck in your old ways

Was on the tip of my brain the whole thread good shot comrade

If it's reasonably priced, the macros are good, and doesn't taste bad, I'd buy it.

All that matters.

It's ((them)) trying to discredit the idea as a whole.

nothing more beta than eating bugs, except maybe a dick in the ass

Nothing more beta than caring about what is beta.

Insects are definitely good for you. Theres just a taboo against eating them in the west. They are easy and cheap to raise, and are very nutritious, tons of protein, and when cooked correctly fucking delicious. I think adding insects will help vary anyones diet. As long as the bugs are raised humanely and ethically, and they are killed as humanely as possible, it will be a good addition to the human diet. Do I think we should replace beef pork and poultry with insects? No. Variation is important. Anyone who is shilling insects as a complete replacement to the meat industry is an idiot.

Enjoy your insect gains, while I'm fine dining on chicken nuggets bitch

We know eating cow barely even gives you cancer but we don't know shit about eating insects. Eating insects American-style might give you super cancer because bugs are bugs. The science isn't there yet.

I was going to start a business selling insects as food a few years ago. Ended up bottling it because most people I gave samples were unenthusiastic (simply because they didn't want to eat bugs).

But insects have a great amount of protein and are far better for the environment than cattle because they convert their food into protein much more efficiently.

Yeah but how does it taste?

If this is cheaper than the bars they sell at cosco I do not give a shit.
I do not give a shit if I get my chicken from non-hippie approved farms
I do not give a shit if my beef comes from slaughterhouses where they aren't gently lulled to sleep before being killed.
I do not give a single shit if the animals that end up in my stomach are killed inhumanely.
Farm animals were domesticated to be eaten; most of the species of farm animals today will literally die if released into the wild because they were bred like that for thousands of years.
Fuck you niggers I'm triggered

I tried some exo bars. They weren't that good and cost too much and have to be ordered online.