Most effective exercises for improving calves?

Most effective exercises for improving calves?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167998193
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

being a fatass x F

/thread

seriously OP I was obese for most of my life and my calves are the size of melons

Running barefoot/minimal

bulgarian split quats with toes tucked

high reps

Ex fatty here, everyone complements me on my fat boy calves

some guy on BB.com had some amazing calf progress:
forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167998193

Jog a 5k daily.
/Thread/

I've always been skinny. Calves have always been a weak point for me.

running on soft sands

Calve workouts every day. We're built to walk. Also if you don't have a job which requires you to walk around you're already losing gains. If your job requires you to stand at a register just walk around it so you can work calves.

How do you think most asians have big calves, those fampais walk all day for commutes

Also, do anterior tib exercises

Work requires me to walk around constantly. It's rare for me to not be moving.

Calves are used every day so you need to hit them with high volume to be effective.

The easiest way is to be a fatass, since as they get heavier their calve muscles have to grow to make sure their fat ass is still mobile (to a degree), but if you dont want to go epic bulk built fat mode then I suggest a lot of running (see pic related) or rucking long distances, or maybe even wearing a weighted vest for daily walking about the office or walking to work.

Wear 40kg weight vest every day all day for months/years to simulate being obese.

If I can't afford a weighted vest can I throw some bricks in a backpack for similar results?

Walk everywhere on the balls of your feet.

I don't want to look like more of an autist than I already do

bad idea, you need to work the shin as well.

this is actually a good idea

yes

I recommend just weights, running doesnt really help and just wastes time

You really just need to target calves everyday, heavy weights.

biking, no joke.

>start roadbiking every weekend for 6 mo
>calves suddenly outta no where

>this is actually a good idea
goodnight, sweet joints

actually laughed, thank you.

this is like saying you cant carry your backback full of books that ways 15 lbs. If you ever been on college campus you walk for at least an hour with all that shit

Legit. Have been a fat fuck for most of my life and my calves are godly.

I can confirm, as long as you're clipped in your calves will be pumpin

Riding bike.
Hiking.
Not as good as isolation exercises if all you want is visual improvement, but for general calf fitness, hiking a lot will be best. Faster improvement and best range of movement will be steep hikes with lots of stepping up on and over things. Add a pack for even better gains.
Riding a bike is lower impact, and if you use higher gears than you ought to, you will be pushing harder on the pedals.

Pushing a prowler.

There are North Face sneakers? WTF?

I never understood why autists spew this retarded shit in Calves threads. Like thats literally not a realistic way for someone looking to grow their calves. Cool, you were fat and got skinny now you have big calves...that doesnt help anyone. Great advice.

Using them very frequently, it seems.
Calve walk up an incline.
Hill sprints.
Prowler cart pushing.
Super setting your squats with calve raises or whatever.
Cycling, with the little shoes that lock into the peddles.

Try to work it into your day.
Walk up and down your drive way or any other incline 5-10 times with your calves every night or something.
Stairs might work too.

Sprinting
Jeff Cavaliere has a couple calf videos also
Never tried his shit though

There's a lot of good info in this thread but nothing consolidated and there's a couple points missed:

1) Yes, high volume, high frequency is great.
2) There are two muscles to calves, and one is activated more than the other with varying exercises; the gastrocnemius and the soleus.

To hit them both effectively you should do two exercises. One in which your knees are locked out (standing calf raise, more gastrocnemius) and another in which your knees are bent (seated calf raise or donkey calf raise, more soleus).
3) For joint balance and stability, you should probably also work your tibialis anterior as well.
4) Also note, your soleus tends to be mostly slow twitch by a lot, while your gastrocnemius tends to be about half fast/half slow, so when programming your calf routine, mix in some explosive movements for knees mostly locked stuff. I find jump rope to be good for this. Conversely, don't bother with attempting fast/explosive stuff with knees-bent calf stuff. Not even sure how you'd do it, lol.