/mag/

/mag/ - Martial Arts General

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and facts:
blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

LIST OF COMBAT PROVEN, EFFECTIVE STYLES:

•Boxing
•BJJ
•Muay Thai (supplement with Taekwondo, optional)
•Kyokushin Karate
•Greco-Roman Wrestling
•Catch Wrestling
•Sanda/Sanshou
•Sambo/Combat Sambo
•Judo
•MMA (cheaper and easier than studying the above individually)

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:

•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•Participants compete at amateur or professional level
•Physical condition part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6UlAh9rnkYM
youtube.com/watch?v=9RExg1xOEoI
youtube.com/watch?v=oFtTh_N9dN8
youtu.be/gXYrp8EWU3U
youtube.com/watch?v=0D2ldyBJGWM
youtube.com/watch?v=DbMITmDeNCU
twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/768484844250681344
bigbrandboys.com/lifestyle/georges-st-pierre-return-ufc-206-toronto/
instagram.com/p/BJf88XmAnRS/
youtube.com/watch?v=lhRSCEYtSVU
youtu.be/_Opy6KejAnQ?t=207
mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Huge shout out to the user who made this and I just copied and pasted it it .

Got a fight against a traveller in October, wish me luck lads
Also good job for the guy who went through hell day..

MT + BJJ
Or
Kickboxing + Wrestling?

Learn some bjj then pick a striking discipline after

That's me famm ! I got another one coming up Thursday some more sparring with the Mexican coach. I can barley close my jaw right now bro but I'll make it. I got some heavy conditioning to do tomorrow

>I can barley close my jaw right now
that's a good sign, that's how we learn

That's the only way to think of it. I feel such an adrenaline high in there. I just want to get better and better. Thursdays my next sparring day.

amurkans fully know nothing about muay thai

•Muay Thai (supplement with Taekwondo, optional)

LOL

anyway i am SICK as a DOG and im still gonna sparring tonight wish me luck fellas

np famalam

I do hope this becomes a regular thing

How old are you?

It is hard to find a place to wrestle past college age, whereas BJJ is fucking everywhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=6UlAh9rnkYM

I'll do my part breh.

18, also live in New Zealand

A lot of bigger gyms have a little wrestling program. Like a class or two a week. Go to these+bjj+bjj open roll. You'll get the best of all possible worlds, and will be unstoppable on the ground. Ground skillz are good skillz cuz the average street fight goes to the ground in like 3 seconds if I remember correctly, plus you'll never get raped again... unless your trainer fancies your boipussy. Coaches can rape whomever they want, it's the law.

>LIST OF COMBAT PROVEN, EFFECTIVE STYLES:

So, how exactly did this list was compiled?

I mean, I don't see a lot of martial arts in there, and while I know mcdojos are to blame, I'm curious to know how did you choose which ones to include and which one to exclude from the OP list.

I started boxing a couple weeks ago with a former Olympic boxer. At first I was interested in doing BJJ but those gyms were at least $120/month.

I managed to bargain boxing down to 80/month which is why I went with it. It's been really fun and I plan to start going regularly now that I'm back to the school routine. But I still think the price is a bit much considering I'm a student that only works during the summer. What do you guys think of the cost?

Check out this Nick Diaz interview.

Makes me want to drop some hours of Muay Thai and focus on boxing

youtube.com/watch?v=9RExg1xOEoI

How many hours will you be able to train per week for 80?

If there are good fighters there, that at least means good skill worked there. So while you might not ever refine your game to even that of a top amature, you can still build up your hand game

I can train at least 2 hours per week and sometimes 3 (an hour per day).

Most of the regulars are older dudes who seem to just do it for fun, but they're pretty alright. The trainer himself trains amateurs 1 on 1 who compete. But doing that would be really expensive.

hes some motherfucking inspiration
youtube.com/watch?v=oFtTh_N9dN8

>tfw you beat your black belt master with a gogoplata

>tfw he let you have it

just a question. in boxing we are taught to punch straight cause that's the quickest way to reach your target but why are they doing sideway punches? does it still have any damage behind it

flyod mayweather is honestly a really good boxer and who cares if he's running away? sure, its not macho and bravado but at the end of the day if you hit and don't get hit that's the aim fo the game in boxing and he does that to a superhuman level

3 per week is good enough to get started and learn basics since you'll just want to practice basics to start.

Very basic footwork
Punch form
stance, balance

Any off time you could put into cardio. That's basically what I've been doing (+BJJ)

How soon is too soon to take boxing lessons? I'm 6 months into lifting on PPL with two sessions a day. Thinking I could possibly switch a PPL to learn boxing.

MT + BJJ

After a couple years, train boxing if you want better striking, kickboxing if you want better kicking, judo/wrestling if you want better takedowns.

Alternatively, starting with Judo/wrestling for a strong standup grappling foundation is also fine, both styles also train groundwork.

Well those are hook punches, aren't they? You lose some of the power that would have come from your arm and shoulder, but that isn't a whole lot compared to the force you get from twisting your torso and legs. You should have that twisting power whether you're throwing a hook or straight.

They are martial arts with proven effectiveness in the ring and in street fights. Until we see someone using Wing Chun or something consistently to win fights either in the cage or on the street, then it shouldn't be included.

Same is true for RBSD styles.

I'm so fucking glad they put a decent ref in the ring for the Mcgregor Diaz fight.

guys im weak, skinny and have no condition. in 2 months i will start going to judo gym.
how can i best prepare myself in these 2 months? no gym
currently i do:
pushups trying to reach one handed pushups
situps
single leg squats
pullups
swimming+running
is it fine? anything i should add/change?

Don't expect to be the best at sparring right off the bat with that baseline.

Start lifting if you're weak, do a 3/week program like SL or something. It'll get you a small strength base that you will need.

After you start training, keep an eye on recovery. If you can still train and keep a lifting regime without dying, do that. You have some catchup to do before you can compete with the others, and that's fine.

Marathon, not a sprint.

Eh, missed the "no gym" part.

Do Starting Bodyweight, it's better than nothing.

>situps

Replace with plank, single leg plank, plank rotations, ab crunches, bicycle crunches. Situps are dogshit.

Try starting bodyweight, or follow one of those calisthenic infographics that sometimes get posted around here. How tall are you? Being a lanklet isn't always a disadvantage in judo, you don't always need strength if your legs are too long for someone to step off.

sounds good. I'd focus more on pull strength (wide pull ups) and core strength, particularly rotational (russian twists and woodchoppers)
just remember that you are still going to be shit in the first few weeks, no matter how hard you train.

>only day this week I am able to go to jiu jitsu
>it's no-gi
>mfw

porra

So kickboxing doesn't work in the ring? Or something like muay thai just covers kickboxing +++?

Just curious.

No, planks and crunches are shit.
Situps works the front hinge of the body and are unbelievably useful in day to day activity.

Planks are only if you have back issues, and crunches are more for vanity.

Kickboxing absolutely works, as long as it's full contact, just look at Andy Hug. Muay Thai is too different to KB, so it should be listed by itself.

Actually, planking is really bad for your lower back, as are sit ups.

im 180cm 65kg

Then really don't worry about strength, cardio right now is more important, because if you can't finish a session from gassing out too fast, you'll never improve.

Look up these drills for judo on YouTube:
Shrimp
Reverse Shrimp
Bridges
Mat Pulls

Also, working on your hip flexibility will help prevent injury.
youtu.be/gXYrp8EWU3U

Planking is only bad for your lower back if you do it wrong, i.e. planking with APT.

You should pull your ribcage inward when you plank and hold straight like that, i.e. with PPT. Even squeeze your glutes if need be.

This is something people fuck up a lot which leads to the meme that planks are bad for the lower back.

>Actually, planking is really bad for your lower back, as are sit ups.

sauce on that plis

Here is ex.

Why is that a bad thing? No gi looks based and more difficult tbqh

or

how do I know whether a Krav Maga dojo is a good or bad one?

Do they have sparring? Or anything to offer that can't be found in a good MMA gym? Also see list in OP

It's Krav, therefore it's inherently bad.

nice memeing

Krav is nearly always shit

why

The OP prerequisites are good, save the whole competition/athlete side of it.

A competing athlete is a good sign, but don't write off clubs that don't compete. Train with them first if you can.

It's just dumbed down jujitsu.

Every Krav training session I've ever seen and every practitioner I've ever trained with just does these bullshit rehearsed combos, standing toe to toe and never really moving.

They trust that their groin and eye strikes are enough to instantly win a fight, which is idiocy.

Not a meme. Krav pulls things from other arts that do things better, the absolute vast majority of Krav places never spar, the whole "poke the eyes, twist the nuts" thing is utterly shit and never fucking works.

Krav is the worst of the worst, because it advertises itself as 2brutal, but it's just a cover up to show that none of it works. They ingrain a confidence in the students they don't deserve, because they don't pressure test anything, therefore when confronted with any kind of actual self defence situation, they could get themselves severely injured or killed when the shit techniques they've been practising for the last 5 years don't fucking work.

youtube.com/watch?v=0D2ldyBJGWM this kind oif shit doesn't work, slap the balls, slap the eyes, then what will you do for the remaining 5 seconds it takes for you to go out when that doesn't work?

But if you want to learn shit like this then go ahead youtube.com/watch?v=DbMITmDeNCU

inb4
>my Krav gym trains full contact sparring

Congrats, you found the one in one million gym that does. Pity you're learning sub par punches, shit kicks with no power, and aikido level grappling skills.

Good mobility work for hips/legs? (should this be incorporated in the OP?)

Not the guy you replied to, but now that the topic is bad fighting styles, what's your opinion on wing chun?

Check Catalyst Athletics mobility 101

Pretty shit, you'd be better off learning boxing. Stances are mostly static, straight punching like that is easy to dodge, they don't generate much power either.

You're best off keeping away from anything chinese that isn't Sanda/Sanshou, but even then you're better off with muay thai or full contact kickboxing.

I'm going to disagree with you a little on the eyes and balls stuff.

They're good strikes to use as part of a technique. If you need that little extra leverage for a transition on the ground or to distract someone in a clinch while you live for a throw then sticking your thumb in their eye for a bit of extra grip works wonders. As does a groin strike if you need to open someone up for some better targets.

They are absolutely not fight enders though.

>white belts thinking they beat their instructors when they let them get a submission

Every time.

There's nothing INHERENTLY wrong with krav. Of krav was done right it wpuld be boxing and wrestling (which is what the founder actually trained) plus nut kicking and eye poking.

The problem is that krav is nearly never done right.

>inb4 WELL MY KRAV SCHOOL

That's cool man but I literally have never, not once, seem a good krav school so I l cant for that reason endorse krav maga in good faith

we make this part of the MAG original post?

Closes judo place to me only let's you get in 2.5 hours a week it looks like.

This sounds bad.

Meanwhile, the closest boxing gym to me costs $600 a year. The fuck is up with that.

Rory MacDonald has signed wih Bellator.
>twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/768484844250681344

George St-Pierre to possibly return at UFC 206 in Toronto.
>bigbrandboys.com/lifestyle/georges-st-pierre-return-ufc-206-toronto/

Big Ben Rothwell is undergoing head Surgery.
>instagram.com/p/BJf88XmAnRS/

Dillashaw still being a little bitch
youtube.com/watch?v=lhRSCEYtSVU

Dana white also said something to the affect of: "Rumble vs Jon Jones would be pretty cool

See

>Like to watch martial arts movies
>Kung Fu is present in most movies
>Looks real cool in movies
>Doubt it has any real world value

Anyone here tried it? I imagine it's not very useful if you actually got in a fight, but it seems to promote good body control, which is really what I would want out of a martial art. I would never learn it for self defence because I would much rather run from a fight every time than actually participate in one. That also goes for any kind of tournament, but I understand that to advance you have to take part in competitions or tests.

Is Kung Fu really just a big meme and a source of publicity for China?

Can I really learn some moves from that blackbeltwikia on my own? I do boxing atleast once a week but want to learn more in my free time

Is it possible?

kung fu is memery. sure it may have been done right at some point but now it is one of those over saturated mcdojo arts where unqualified people teach it. see

No, if you're learning something unrelated to boxing, then you need an instructor to show you how to do things right. Otherwise you'll just end up drilling bad habits that will take months to break.

How memey is it? Say I were to find a good dojo/school/instructor, would I just be learning about inner peace and Bruce Lee, or would I actually do something? How does sparring even work, please don't tell me it's one of those "get in one or two hits and then reset".

there is no ruling organizations or competitions in Kung Fu, so there is no strict standards to teaching it. most schools do not even do sparing so theres your biggest clue its a weeaboo martial art.

I only do no gi.

same, no gi master race repperting in

Krav students are usually skinhead assholes, in my experience. People who actively want to kill or maim with their bare hands but don't know how

Is kickboxing + bjj a good combo?

lol good thing they dont actually know any effective moves. I just dont want this place to end up like /asp/ with all the ironic recommendations of meme martial arts

Is Wrestling and boxing a good enough combinination? Gonna do other stuff when I get good enough on both

Those are both solid choices if you put in the effort

Kudos user. I started the /run/ or /running/ threads to get more people into running. Glad to see other people are keeping it going.

I don't think they're ironic. I'm like, 90% positive it's cross posting from the wrasslefags fags amd that they are actually retarded enough to believe kung fu movies are real.

Ironic considering it was developed by and for jews.

Spread da woid.

>Ironic considering it was developed by and for jews.

Kek

>what about wing tsun user-kun?

Starting BJJ in September, what should I expect? Its some school in Chicago thats pretty highly rated so I'm hoping to learn some good stuff. Whats the progression like?
How long does it take to get each belt/do belts even matter?
Is lifting even going to help me?
Would it be better to be a box of quarters or a room of pennies?

already have about 3 years boxing and tae kwon do experience but that was about 10 years ago.

They are. The wrestle-boxer is not a meme. Ask Hendricks for more details.

Almost all the mma fighter use this styles... they don't use kung fu or aikido...

Expect to get submitted by people 10 times less strong you are

Explain this to me: German Kommando Spezialkräfte (like Delta force), Kampfschwimmer (like Navy Seals) and the GSG9 all learn Wing Tsun.

Look at the Sifu, the guy who's training those guys.
youtu.be/_Opy6KejAnQ?t=207

He learned Karate and WT.

I'm not saying MMA or Muay Thai aren't as good. Quite the opposite, I've trained MT for 6 years now.
But why do the elite commandos learn WT instead of MMA or MT?

I'm looking for another sport since MT is starting to bore me and I looked into WT. Just looking for opinions

Im ready

Help me out here folks.

Judo place is run by a former Romanian national team member, and was a coach of the month on USA Judo, which seems like a stamp of approval.

But the place only offers 1 hr on Wednesdays, 1.5 hrs on Saturdays. Is that enough? Admittedly have never done a martial art/combat sport, but in most other sports that would not be considered enough practice time.

Is $50/mo. reasonable for boxing gym? I would likely have to ditch my normal gym membership. I am getting quotes from $15-$80 looking online, so it seems to be somewhat standard.

But the owner is likely going to prison for being a heroin supplier so I don't even know if I'm down with a place like that.

>/mag/ - Martial Arts General
>no mcdojo faq
Add this
>mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/

Never go in shady gyms, they tend to close overnight and disapear with your monthly fees.

Germans speaking people have a hardon for WT I don't know why.
WT got a big base in Switzerland Austria and also Spain.
Some part of WT are cool, but if the gym doesn't do hardcore sparing, it will be shit. Source, me as I went to a WT school and the best student could barely see a takedown comming without punches, had never see one cut the corner or slip throug and were open to their own obliques kicks.
A shame.

It leaves a lot to be desired. And MMA is absolutely not the end all be all of martial arts
>No shit like Pradal Serey, other full contact Karate, other styles etc.
Those styles worked long before they were done in MMA. As I said above not the end all be all

So a WT school with a lot of sparring is valuable as a sport?

who gives a fucking fuck? those guys all have guns. the martial arts in their training is nothing more than an ego boost.