Swimming

What's your opinion on swimming? I fancy a change of pace from going to the gym all the time and with this weather I thought I'd go swimming three times a week.
Is it really that good for you? Any training routines I should know about?
I'm thinking one hour of swimming in lanes, fifteen minute break, another hour of swimming.

Anyone here swim to get fit?

bumping for interest

Been thinking of hitting the pool as well. Dunno about muscle, but it's a great cardio workout

i f you are new to swimming an hour of laps will destroy you

Started swimming like 2 weeks ago, I swim for an hour every day

Swimming is a good workout

Make sure you can do the technique right and don't swim slowly in the middle lane like a fat old lady you cunts!!

how many laps do you do?

Don't count but it's probably 60-80 lengths of a 25m pool

I'm gonna start counting now that I'm getting decent.

I haven't swum since I was a kid, is it like riding a bicycle, as in, will I remember how to do the proper forms and techniques? Or should I book a little refreshment course?

Also, I'm basically only looking for cardio here, so will swimming three times a week for an hour or so help in any way? Or am I better off combining it with regular trips to the gym/jogging?

>2 weeks in
>swimming 750m-1km in an hour
standard routine should look like what this guy is doing, it's great for cardio but be sure to do it after your lifts it helps with doms

Well I used to swim leisurely as a kid and was pretty shot. Didn't swim very often after like age 10, and haven't swam at all for 2 years since I started again recently. I'm better than I was originally I think

cardio should be 4-5/week, also you can HIIT, LISS and whatnot swimming, go balls out for a lap on freestyle rest for 30 seconds and repeat for HIIT, for LISS just lap at 1 breath every 4 strokes for laps

When starting just follow some guy at a comfortable speed, he will probs be about 60 and a bit fat. Keep to about 5m of him and let him set your pace. Don't jump out in front of people. Best start with breaststroke, it's easier. Look up the proper technique, don't do the fat lady stroke with your head above the water.

Move onto front crawl when you feel good

Try to keep your arse on top of the water, don't sink. Especially When doing front crawl. Technique is important

its a good way to achieve ottemode if you're not into lifting

people forget that ottermode in the first place was based off a swimmers body

What is ottermode and the other modes?

I'm kinda new to Veeky Forums. Came from /pol/ to Take iron pill after I realised iron is the true red

Something similiar to pic related

Basicly little bit musculature but very lean, basicly ripped actually, very desired look among women

I have no idea how long it would take to achieve it without weights and just swimming though. But with weights maybe 4 months if you start out lean already

meant
for

another example

That in 4months of lifting? Yeah okay with what gear m8.

Swimmings great. I'm going to be swimming 4k this evening. It's excellent cardio and low impact too. Pretty hard to fuck over yourself injury wise too.

2hr swimming seems like overkill desu unless you have good technique already. Swimming is about technique so spend plenty of time trying to perfect your strokes.

You can go on swimsmooth.com to get some tips on technique and there is a thing on there somewhere to give you what you should do once a week at least depending on your 200m/400m times. For workouts I have no idea how much you can do so can't really offer any.

>implying that's not achievable by just dropping body fat

>What's your opinion on swimming?
It's the only workout I genuinely enjoy and that doesn't give me social anxiety. Ironically so, because you would think being half naked in a pool should make me more nervous than working out at the gym fully dressed.
Maybe it's because most people at the pool are casuals and dyels, whereas people at the gym are all jacked.
>I fancy a change of pace from going to the gym all the time and with this weather I thought I'd go swimming three times a week.
Yes, that's a great idea.
>Is it really that good for you? Any training routines I should know about?
The front crawl is better for cardio, whereas a properly executed breast stroke and the butterfly stroke can be hard strength-wise.
>I'm thinking one hour of swimming in lanes, fifteen minute break, another hour of swimming.
When you start out, swimming for a whole hour is harder than you think.

> What's your opinion on swimming?
Great fun, great workout. Personally, I enjoy open water (lake, ocean) swimming even more than in a pool, maybe because I don't get to do it often enough.

> Any training routines I should know about?
Learn proper technique! There is just no way around it if you want to truly enjoy it. Ideally you have friends who know how, or you find a group you can join. For the beginning, just swim, get used to being in the water. Learn to glide.

> I'm thinking one hour of swimming in lanes, fifteen minute break, another hour of swimming.
Swimming steadily for an hour is very ineffiicent training. Most serious swimmers don't do anything longer than 400m in their workouts. Ideas:
o Technique drills: Good after warmup, when you're not fatigued yet. Just kicking, exaggerating parts of the stroke you want to focus on, exaggerate the glide phase.
o Intervals - go hard, pause, go hard (1 length, 2 lengths at most).
o Intervals 2: Alternate going very fast with going slowly to recover.
o Different strokes
o For later, do some pyramids: 1 length fast, 1 slow, 2f,2s, 3f,3s, 2f,2s, 1f,1s. Make sure there's always a notable difference between fast and slow.

This way, you'll get some distance in, and it won't be boring.

Good as long as you actually do a workout with some sort of structure instead of mindlessly swimming laps.

I can swim 1.5km in 16 minutes, and I've been swimming competitively all my life. Granted that's my race speed, but I make around 20-25 minutes in training. Doing 1km in an hour isn't unbelievable if you're already pretty fit.

Thanks, that's good info. I'll most likely go to the pool tomorrow and get a feel for it.

Swimming is the best OP. I feel so much more at ease in the pool than at the gym. Great exercise and very refreshing.
Do it in the mornings and you'll feel great all day. Do it in the evenings and you'll sleep like a log afterwards

I took a swim class at my university, have a great stroke and can swim at a decent speed but I just can't for the fucking life of me do proper breathing. I'm literally out of breath after 50-100kms

I can run forever, have pretty good cardio. But for swimming, which happens to be my favorite version of cardio, I just can't do more than a few laps and it pisses me off. I want to be able to just go back and forth effortlessly, like I do on the track. I get an awesome runners high and feel like I can run forever but I don't know how to breath when swimming

Any advice?

I have the same problem, I just can't get the hang of exhaling underwater and taking quick breaths on each side

>I'm literally out of breath after 50-100kms
Well... You should be. That's like 10 hours worth of swimming.
Jokes aside, one thing about swimming is learning to pace yourself properly. If you only swim 50m, go all out and do a full sprint (just like you would while sprinting on land), but 200m+ and you should slow it down a bit, so you're able to keep a steady pace that you can pull off for the entire length (like you would when running a marathon).
Breathing really just takes practice. I had some difficulty at first too.
What I normally do now is, warm up by sprinting 50m a few times.
Then rest 2-3 minutes. And then swim 500m but not at full speed, just kind of casually. You will notice your breathing should be much better.

And also, I breathe only on one side (my right side out of habit).
During the first few 50m sprints, I breathe maybe once every 6 strokes (so every third time my right arm is underwater). But when doing the 500m I breathe every other stroke (so every time my right arm is underwater).

>exaggerate the glide phase
No. Something should always be moving apart from maybe for a tiny but in breaststroke. In front crawl for instance your arms should always be doing either recovery or the stroke. You're looking for a smooth continuous motion not stopping and starting. Sun Yang may be a cheating cunt but if you look at his stroke in the 1500m in London 2012 it's damn near perfect.

Get used to exhaling underwater first as it's key. Doing it through your nose or mouth doesn't really matter but I exhale through my nose. Just stand at the wall and lower yourself in and out of the water and start exhaling as soon as your nose is under the water. Moving onto doing it while you are swimming assuming we are talking about front crawl then you should be exhaling all the time while your head is underwater right up until you are about to take a breathe. Don't force it out just let it out at a steady rate. Then rotate your head to the side until your mouth is out of the water keeping it in line with your body, ideally that is, better to learn how to breathe and then correct over rotation than otherwise. Anyway that's where you take your breathe. The point is that if your lungs are empty then you don't have to waste time exhaling when you turn your head. Your breathe doesn't actually have to be that quick, if you feel you don't have time lower your stroke rate, just breath in move your head back and then repeat.

I recommend learning to bilateral breathe. Sure in a race you don't give a fuck and breathe every other stroke so always on the same side but if you are always breathing to one side in training then you will develop wonky muscalature.

>16 minute 1500m
I am so envious.

I swam for 12 years and it was a great time. I still do it sometimes and it is the only form of exercise that makes my lungs feel great for the entire day.

aobut 3000 in an hour is a good workout.

do 1 set of SKIPS
>100 swim
>100 kick
>100 IM (all 4 strokes -- 25 fly, 25 back, 25 breast, 25 free)
>100 pull
>100 swim

Then 10x50 on under a minute. Under 50 seconds if yards

then do 5x100 under 2 minutes or under 1:30 if youre feeling ambitious

3x200 You can do IM or a single stroke if you're feeling it

8x25 sprints

4x50 pull
4x50 kick

one or two 300s

then a cool down

Fuck its been a while since I swam. Loved it so much. It makes you feel euphoric for hours after the way you have to control your breath while exerting yourself.

I thought about doing it but my local pool seems really expensive and I'm still too fat for tight fitting clothes anyway.

>SKIPS
Could you elaborate on this?
Does kicks mean that you only use your legs? And pull only the arms?

Not him but yeah. Only legs and get a pull buoy so you can do pull using only your arms. They're cheap so it's not some massive investment. With kick put your arms above your head to get into a streamlined position then start kicking from the hips and keeping your ankles flexible i.e. you shouldn't be bending your knees or at least not going for the full range of motion. If you want you can get a kick board as then you don't have to worry about breathing but I don't like them that much and they aren't needed unlike a pull buoy for pull.

Thanks