Advice for an amateur personal trainer

I work with and live opposite a guy who is trying to get back in shape, at the moment he is relying on me to convince him to work out, what are some good ways to keep a trainee motivated?
I'm not particularily massive myself but I try to stay in shape, however my friend let himself get kinda fat (roughly 28% bf) and without someone to guide him he's worried that he'll get even worse. He visits his family at the weekend but monday-friday I can typically get him to do phys once a day.
So far I've been taking him to do exercise for 1 week, I got him a wall chart and scales, I calculated his TDEE and gave him some basic advice on nutrition and supplements. I'm planning on getting him to do a weekly routine of back+shoulders, legs, core, chest and with some cardio in between whenever possible (I haven't tried getting him to do a morning run yet). I get him to maintain an exercise diary to hopefully see some recorded measurable improvement in his lifts and try to keep him motivated with some fitness philosophy that worked for me.
Is there anything I can do better? Have you guys tried something like this before?

>what are some good ways to keep a trainee motivated?

Not your job. Motivation comes from within

If he ain't motivated he doesn't care enough.

Full body 3x a week (prolly bodyweight exercise, then the lifts), cardio 2x or 3x a week, then normal lifting. Thats what i would do. Mind you, im not a PT. I think he should focus on getting started and learning about rest and propper nutrition before going all-in with the lifts.

People motivate themselves, but it helps termendously to have someone push you for that extra mile, or rep, or to reach that goal time. Constant encouragement I great for when someone is about to give up. And when they give up tell them good job, we'll try to push further tomorrow.
It's the mindset that you're giving them, they have to learn how to use it.

True, however sometimes people can so amazing things if you have faith in them and genuinely want them to succeed.
Also, at some point in my career I might have to become an actual PT so I figure this'll be good practice.
Well he's not an absolute amateur as such, he used to be much fitter before he got injured playing rugby and spent a year and a half fighting his ex in court for visitation rights to see his son. I'm mostly just rebuilding him to his former strength.
Yeah I figure that giving a shit about him is helping somewhat, but I do try to emphasise to him that he's got to meet me halfway to enjoy the benefits of fitness.

I've heard from a guy running a succesful gym that mixing effective training (squats, deadlifts, etc.) with more fun/broish training like curls, shoulder work etc. works well. that way they actually make progress in the gym (because of the heavy compounds) and they get to feel the "burn" in their biceps which is that they THINK is effective training.

Initially he wanted to do some isolation exercises for vanity muscles but after some explanation I think I've convinced him that tackling a rugby player requires more than big biceps and pushing a car requires more than big triceps.
I'd rather not be inconsistent unless it'll genuinely help him, he seems to respect what I say and it'd negatively impact my ability to help him if he lost faith in me.

thats a nice doggo you've posted right there, kinda looks like mine

good form, pupper

Just go to the gym with him every weekday ?

good form, pupper

Good form pupper

good form, pupper

good form, pupper

Good form, pupper

Good form Pupper!

good form, pupper

>trying to fix other people
lol

but thats shit form

That's how social animals work. After all, what's the point of having power and knowledge if you aren't using them to help your friends?

The problem with the halfway thing is that when they don't meet you halfway they start beating themselves down. Try to avoi over emphasis and focus more on the encouragement.

Shit the fuck up does it look like he's started lifting it yet???

Outstanding form, pupper

I'm reminding him of the potential benefits whenever I think it's appropriate (without beating a dead horse) but just today for example he wanted to bin the run we were planning because he had to pack for tomorrow. I managed to make him feel guilty enough to come anyway though. I see what you're saying about avoiding putting him in a position where he demotivates himself but he's the sort of bloke who hates letting people down or shirking his responsibility so I'm using that to help with the motivation.

going for a pr today,

good form, pupper

I think it depends person to person on how much motivation they need. I had a friend that "motivation" basically meant me telling him it was time to work out and then dragging him to the gym. Once we got there he'd get better but the issue was getting him there in the first place. Just find out what gets him going and go from there.