/mag/

/mag/ - Martial Arts General

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

LIST OF COMBAT PROVEN, EFFECTIVE STYLES:

•Boxing
•BJJ
•Muay Thai (supplement with Taekwondo, optional)
•Kyokushin Karate (supplement with boxing)
•Kickboxing
•Greco-Roman Wrestling
•Catch Wrestling
•Sanda/Sanshou
•Sambo/Combat Sambo
•Judo
•MMA (cheaper and easier than studying the above individually)

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:

•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:

•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>FAQ (in development), MUST READ:
pastebin.com/LXHvWCZY

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
youtube.com/user/FightTipsVideos
youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
youtube.com/user/theKravMagaTraining
More to come

>BOOKS ON FIGHTING
coming soon

Other urls found in this thread:

mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/
bullshido.net/
marciosimas.com/Gracie-Barra-Instructors.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Found a good mma gym near me, signing up next week. Not a total beginner in combat sports, but how will I know when I'm good enough to compete?

what are your go to moves? mine usually involves triangles from guard and kimuras from everywhere. i also love hitting reverse triangles from bottom side control and finishing with a kimura.

Your coach will tell you. Usually for MMA a solid six months is base to compete

Any way I can delete the other /mag/ I made?

Just in case it won't die on its own.

There is already one there:

cant you delete it?

Only OP/mod can.

Extremely adaptive, I'm as slippery as an eel in a bucket of snot due to years of gymnastics when I was younger.

Armbars from absolutely nowhere confuses people when there's no reason to think I should be able to bend that way.

lol, i fucking hate armbars. i always end up fucking up my bawls. so i just settle for kimuras from ever where. also if im on top its all americanas and arm triangles

>LIST OF COMBAT PROVEN, EFFECTIVE STYLES:

By who? According to what standard? How have they been proven?

What are the best shinguard brands?

probably from mma

Shouldertrows for days.

sup fags, you may want to add this site to the OP: mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/

also for books, Jiu Jitsu Complete by Nakae is legit.

This is pretty good, whoever does next OP should add this link

Second degree black belt in Tang Soo Do reporting in

Rich Piana vs. Kali Muscle

who wins?

also this:
bullshido.net/

King, Twins, Booster

About to start bjj tomorrow

>6 flat
>10 years of wrestling, tkd and muay thai

What to expect?

Kali would go ape frenzy slingin' haymaker nigger on Piano and sadly win in the process.

The Wealthy Organ has lost its shine bois

Good exercises for punch power?
Right now i've been doing pushups as fast as I can.

Push press. It doesn't seems like it would be, but you are transferring lower body power to the upper body. Ibviously doesn't carry over like literal punching motions would, but I like it.

Depends in judo
my go to throws are seoi nage, tai otoshi and ouchi gari

newaza my go to subs are rolling juji and kata gatame

Wrestling wise my go to shot is a swing single
ankle pick, knee block

Explosive push ups are good.
Like other user said push press is good so are and lateral medicine ball slams. Also try getting in your boxing stance, hands up and everything, with a moderate weight medicine ball in one hand. Then launch the medicine ball as explosively as you can at the wall, around head height, using a punching motion. Focus on powering through the legs, hips and core, fully rotating through with your shoulders and getting full extension with the arm, Catch ball and repeat. This helps you practice generating power from where you'll actually be positioned when you're boxing

Just hit the bags

Core exercises, non isometric ones.
legs and especially glutes exercises.
Plyometrics legs exercises plyo push-up, gif related.
Punching power is mainly coordination

If you want to train like it's the 1920's then yeah, just hit a heavy bag endlessly.

Enjoy your prematurely fucked joints

Your training in tkd and Mt to be absolutely worthless.
Some wrestling will transition.

I came up with a solid conditioning routine to get back into boxing a month from now when I move.

I did it for the first time Monday and skipped every day since.

I'm a sadcunt with crippling depression and adhd. Looking forward, everything seems impossible, even the simple task of starting a workout. Then it feels impossible to move to the next set or exercise after each one.

But once I /do/ start, then looking back I realize how easy it was to do what I set out to do. Unfortunately, even knowing this doesn't make starting any easier.

My motivation doesn't last, but working out consistently at a gym was a lot easier because there were other people watching my progress so I had accountability, and wanting to avoid getting hit in the face too much is a strong and acute motivator.

I've really let myself go, how do I bounce back on my own?

>be me, skinny white high schooler.
>mom wants me out of the house
>tells me I need to join a club.
>tai kwon do or wrestling are the only ones with openings left.
>decide to join based on how well it'll transition in the real world.
>memekwondo teaches basic punching and kicking, then a bunch of retarded dances and performances.
>wrestling has endless rules that won't let you punch, kick, choke, or do anything realistic in a fight and is based around grabbing a bunch of sweaty guys from behind for points.
>MFW I join an independent boxing club.

what about Savate

Is Chun Kuk Do a meme martial art? The most highly regarded martial arts place in my area is Chun Kuk Do but I'd rather just do boxing or MMA but I can't because it's too far away.

Have you got a friend you can ask to help you out? Just someone to yell at you when you start giving up. Or maybe do something different, train for a different sport for the month, maybe feeling like you're learning/doing something new will help your frame of mind. I'm assuming you can't go back into a boxing gym at the moment?

Wrestling is one of the most dominant arts in MMA, you goof.

Boxing is amazing too though.

Submission wrestling is dominant, you memer, it's centered around being ready to get a punch or kick to the face if things go wrong.

Folk style, freestyle, and Greco barely transfer anything but double leg and single leg takedowns, and are mostly memes.

If you're on your back in any of the above, you've just lost the match. If you're on your back in sub, you're in guard and can do any number of things. If you're on your knees in above, it's "down" position. If you're on your knees in sub/real life, you get rear naked choked into night night land.

In real life you probably just get kicked in the damn head

most people who do BJJ or no gi jiu jitsu but don't have a freestyle wrestling base have a fuck ton of trouble getting it to the mat.

You just don't know what the fuck you're talking about either, saying all it gives is a good shot. Strong underhook/overhook control, sprawling, and the explosive, grinding nature you attain from freestyle wrestling is something no other art really has.

Can you guys tell me if this Gracie Barra looks good from the teachers credentials?

I live in Orlando

marciosimas.com/Gracie-Barra-Instructors.php

not sure if I should go here or ATT

No, I'm in my hometown by myself. No gym here, no friends.
Boxing is the only thing that got me moving, having tried other sports. Training was mostly stressful, but the benefits from working out were worth it. In my current situation, most benefits would be pretty diminished.

Isn't ATT where a bunch of UFC/Bellator guys train?

Gracie Barra has marco simas who got his black belt under Carlos Gracie sr.

VERY legit place. ATT is also good but if you want gracie jiu jitsu its as legit as you can get really.

Looks qualified for teaching it, just odd he has no tournament records posted.

I train with Gracie Barra in Houston. The head professor and his partner are both multiple competition winners and still compete.

>most people who do BJJ or no gi jiu jitsu but don't have a freestyle wrestling base have a fuck ton of trouble getting it to the mat.

No shit. They're used to grabbing on to nice little martial arts robes and don't know wtf to do if they can't gui you into guard since pro fighting is mostly topless.

How does under/overhook help you while getting punched in the fucking face? Sprawling only matters if someone else shoots on you. You can get the "explosive" nature from a good coach. You don't need high school level wrestling for that lol. Face it, in a real fight, 95% of wrestling is memes.

yeah the same one but those guys are mostly at the miami location

oh thats impressive I'm leaning towards BJJ beacause I want to go as far as I possibly can with what I can invest into this I feel like if I go for a striking art im gonna get my brain fucked up a bit. Is that foolish?

>I dont watch MMA: the post

I train everything, but my base is wrestling.

I'm just a striped white belt in BJJ but in MMA sparring I fucking dummied two purple belts when it came to the stand up grappling.

Get over yourself you fucking goofball. Its hard to punch somebody in the face when they jab you and grab double underhooks. The fuck are you gonna do, punch them while you're flying?

95% of non submission wrestling*

BJJ is constantly evolving. At the Gracie Academy I train at, we incorporate wrestling and judo techniques into our training and drills because as time goes on it's becoming more and more necessary to stay viable.

You can get concussions from grappling a lot too, go into any art expecting to get concussions. I competed on a national level of wrestling and I got 3 concussions over 5 years. I've only been concussed once from two years of boxing. Basically, it just depends.

In terms of linear progression, Gracie Jiu Jitsu is well programmed and will keep you feeling like you're constantly improving whereas MMA is a lot harder to tell sometimes.

100%, BJJ is the best, most evolving MA in the world. However, we both know it's fair to say a very high amount of BJJ gyms don't work on stand up grappling enough my man.

>I went against meme martial artists in a competition in meme holds and won because I had a less memey background.

What the fuck are you on about rofl. That doesn't prove anything. Have you ever even had an actual MMA match?

you think BJJ is a meme martial art? What in the fuck lmao

Its alright bud, you don't know what you're talking about, I forgive you.

Also I haven't yet, I'm only 21. Working on my striking before I actually fight.

You're right about that. It's why I highly recommend joining Gracie Barra for anyone interested in BJJ. Sure, it's more expensive than other places, but they know their stuff and you can train at any location globally.

I'll go to this Gracie Barra for a few months and reassess then

thank you

Have fun man, be willing to be really anxious the first few weeks, its tough! Good luck.

Just got back into mt after a break over the summer (had to move to bumfuck nowhere for work) and once I use the few weeks left on m membership I intend to get into bjj as well. Will this be enough to get me into an amateur cage fight by next summer? I'll be going 3-5x a week and training with coaches that also coach a couple ufc fighters, so its legit.

Honestly any martial art that doesn't directly incorporate striking from the get go is a meme. It's not going to hold up 100% in he real world or a real fight. That includes bjj. The reason you're not fighting right now and would get your ass handed to you in a cage is because you can't punch, but you'll still pretend BJJ is 100% viable in all situations. All of my keks.

L2Box

Hey has a point.
Plus wrestling is dominant. Single and doulbe are not the only takedowns in the world.

Nice job putting words into my mouth, you fucking retard. I've been boxing for two years already. I've had amateur boxing fights (Record is 5-1-1)

I never said that wrestling or BJJ is 100% viable in all situations. You're backpedalling hard because you know you look stupid.

>Also I haven't yet, I'm only 21. Working on my striking before I actually fight.

>I've been boxing for two years already. I've had amateur boxing fights (Record is 5-1-1)

Which one is it, memer?

You asked if I had any MMA matches, and I said I haven't because I'm working on my striking.

I've been BOXING for two years already, and had amateur BOXING fights.

All these years of boxing with no talent has clearly done a number on your brain.

So let me get this straight, you've had plenty of boxing matches, and are a nice strong striker, but your bjj matches are lacking because you can't strike? I'm not even arguing with you anymore, I'm starting to think you b8ed me.

I half know how that feels, nothing involving exercise interested me until I started MT/boxing classes when I was an obese 16yr old and no other sports have interested me since.

It sucks that you've got no-one to help you out, I wish I had some more ideas for you but I've never really been in your situation. Sorry mate

Judo has it. It transfer very well into nogi/mma, Sexyama and ronda are proofs, another is gif related. Who started with judo.
>No shit. They're used to grabbing on to nice little martial arts robes
Another is Karo Parysian, but he's old story now.
The lack of judo based fighters come from the IJF that strips you from all your medals and titles if you compete in MMA.

My issue with Judo is most places near me don't have a SINGLE non gi night.

Fuck that shit. I respect Judoka but fuck that Gi shit man.

I'm not a "strong striker".

I had 7 amateur boxing matches, which is barely anything. My boxing is DECENT.

My Kicking / MT game is fucking weak right now.

Again, MMA matches, not BJJ matches. Why are you trying so hard to pretend you're not retarded? is it bait?

Actually what makes wrestling proeminent in MMA today are the rules: No kicks to a downed opponent.
It allows a fighter to just lay a finger on the ground to prevent a kick to the face. So it opens up the defender to single/double without the possibility to retaliate with a knee. Worst it prevents punishing a failed double with soccer kick.
.gif very related.
>How does under/overhook help you while getting punched in the fucking face?
Implying you need them to close the distance.

Except that wrestlers did amazing in PRIDE too.

Remember Rampage's prime?

>single or double leg takedowns
>Greco-Roman wrestling

Wanna know how I know you've never wrestled?

>Honestly any martial art that doesn't directly incorporate striking from the get go is a meme
This is why "Hoyce" Gracie won the 3 first UFC.
There are actually strike in bjj and judo, not just in their competition format. The point is still valid though.

he referred to "submission wrestling" as dominant but then called BJJ a meme. He's either a troll or a fucking retard.

Alright buddy. Have a great rest of your day.

That's exactly what I'm implying, unironically. Hooking in a fight with striking allowed is fucking retarded.

wanna know how I know you like to take words out of context to be a pedantic fuck?

>jab somebody who is untrained
>they dont know what to do and do random, wild haymakers
>grab underhooks and body lock them so hard they can barely breathe
>throw them onto the concrete

HUHU YEA ITS SO DUMB

>untrained
>untrained
>untrained

Are you trying to be a moron, or are you actually just that autistic?

Do you think you're highly likely to get into a street fight with a trained fighter?

90% of people are untrained and don't know what to do.

If you get the basics, blue belt level you'll have plenty to do with, it transition very well to nogi.
There real problem are the judo federation (national and intern'l) who are strongly opposed to MMA.
It's not the rules that made him strong in PRIDE, we all know it. plus he got stomped a few times in pride by shogun.
lel!

Alright yeah you're actually a fucking retard.

Didn't read past street fight. Take your cry post to someone else.

>MUH, MUH MARTIAL ARTS ARE VIABLE

You just spent 20 minutes replying to an mma fighter calling mma and BJJ a fucking MEME SPORT and now you're bitching when we talk about street fights

tell me, what fucking context do you want to talk about?

>That's exactly what I'm implying, unironically. Hooking in a fight with striking allowed is fucking retarded.
Now days EVERY pro mma fighter has the basics of head movements.
Jab-cross to single/doulbe is also one of the basics. You had the head move, shoulder move, level change and footwork and you see many fighters still using it nowdays. Hooking is used a different way, but J. Hendricks made good use of it as a wreslte-boxer perfect sample.

I went to my college orientation today and learned theres a boxing club which im interested in(although they didnt have a booth so i couldnt sign up today)
My question is will joining a college club be any good or is it just a waste of time? As far as I remember clubs in high school were just something people did to fuck around in a class so they could look good for uni applications.

>MMA fighter
>hasn't had a single MMA fight

Wew lad.

What do you all think of caged MT? Same gloves as UFC, same cage setup just fighting under full thai rules. Here in Aus we've got the CMT fight shows that do it, is there a similar thing over in the states/europe?

I think boxing with the small gloves could be an interesting idea, run similar to mma format (3 rounds, 5 round title fights just with 3 minute rounds instead)

Opinions?

depends on how many times a week you can train and if the trainer is good.

could be interesting but its a good way to fuck your hands up

Naw I didn't hit it endlessly I hit it for 6 rounds with wraps and gloves on. I did more head movement than anything today

And I hit the double ended bag for like 2 of those rounds and the body snatcher for one. I don't push my punches either for the joint reason I snap them.

What's going on here? Ref guy seemed to be having a bit of a headache; was it mind control?

Oh nice, what sort of shit do you run on the double end?

Jumped to a conclusion before, my bad

Its all good famm. I'm the dude that always tells you about my sparring. I just hit the ones and twos with a left hook every now and then and trying to keep my head moving and my feet in position to hit it again. I'm still kinda new with the bags in general. The double ended bag is much tougher than it looks. If I do push punches on one bag though it would be that one so I can get it to snap back to make me move my head.

Ah yeah good shit.

The double end is nice reality check for guys who think they're pretty slick. If you can't aim and time your punches properly then you're not that good! If you're getting the distance right you should be able to have it snap back at you without pushing, but that'll come with time and shitloads more practice.

What weight class are you aiming for again?

I'm trying for 122/126. I wiegh anywhere between 136-140 depending on how hydrated/full I am. I started at 150. I'm trying to get my walking weight at 130 so I don't have to kill myself to make weight.

Weigh*

Yeah man for the amateurs you really shouldn't be cutting at all. It's not like pro fighting, you could end up in tournaments and stuff almost every other weekend.

See what weight you comfortably sit at when you're at peak fitness and maybe go a few pounds under that.

I know that's what my trainer was telling me, saying that 122 might be hard to go down to. The weight cutting process sounds pretty miserable. I wouldn't want to do it like Canelo Alvarez or Kell Brook or Ricky Hatto who cut like 30 pounds to make weight (obviously not the ams but still).

I already have sone experience in boxing from junior year in high school and very confident in my grappling. Its just since i stopped wrestling and bjj my confidence hasnt been very high and i think boxing will help me especially for my stand up.

>wanna know how I know you like to take words out of context to be a pedantic fuck?

Breh you listed folkstyle, freestyle, and GR and said they had little to offer except single/double leg takedowns.

Either you don't know what GR is, or you lumped it in there because you think it adds nothing at all.

If it's the second one, you're still a dope. Suplex is rampant. Clinch game from GR is a major transfer.

Guys, why can't I throw a left hook? I twist my left ankle but I have no power and lose my balance.