Weightlifting shoes

Alright. I've finally hit a 315 lb squat, and I think it's finally time to get some lifting shoes.

I have wide feet, and I'd like them to be as cheap as possible because I'm a poor college student.

Any suggestions?

Wei Rui Warriors

Power perfect 2s for your first pair
Someone /thread/ me

/threnigger

are either of these wide?

They'll be fine. Do-wins are also worth looking at if you're, like, EEE wide.

Make sure you try them on before you buy. For me I had to go 1 size under my usual size to get a good fit for my Adipowers.

Yep, wei ruis run wide.

should I go with the Warriors or the wooden VX3's?

I bought Powerlift 2.0s during a sale for around $60. I've used them for a year now and they are just starting to show very light wear. For around 9 months or so they looked brand new like they just came out of the box.

Shoes like the Adipowers will last you like 10 years though, so technically they'll be cheaper in the long run.

>Finally won a match, and I think it's finally time to get some wrestling shoes

>Finally made a touch down, and I think it's finally time to get some cleats.

>Finally hit below par, and I think it's finally time to get some golf shoes

You should have just gotten some fucking shoes the moment you were serious about going to the gym and the investment wasn't going to be a waste. I don't know why you dumb niggers think a slight raise in the heel and a solid flat sole is some magic thing you've got to earn. It won't even make a difference unless you've been squatting in horrible shoes, and at that point it's a wonder that your dumb ass didn't hurt yourself.

This. I bought a pair of Adipowers as soon as I started squatting, despite everyone screaming LMAO3pl8 MINIMUM 3 SHOES. They've made progression so much easier considering how horrible my mobility is in my ankles/legs. Don't let a bunch of broke NEETs bring you down, remember that most of them actually think $200 is a lot of money.

jesus christ where did this butthurt come from

ahlie

can I use the same shoes for squatting for deadlifting?

literally no advantages to powerlifting shoes over bare feet

can someone shortly explain the difference of say an adipower shoe and a regular adidas training shoe like pic related?

I was at the adidas shop recently and these were on sale for dirt cheap (39€) and there was a "running" variant and a "training" variant and I asked the guy what the difference is and he said literally only the material the top is made of. leather (or "leather") for training, a mesh for running.

now obviously adipowers are much more expensive and higher quality but how do they differ from something like this? is the heel more solid?

Just looking at them you can see that one has a flat sole and the other is more contoured. The Adipower also raises the heel higher than the rest of the foot.

forgot mah pic

since we're talking about shoes

i know chucks are pretty decent liftan' shoes, but will they hurt me in the long run as my lifts advance?

Except for the raised heel

Running shoes like your pic have squishy shoes meant for absorbing the impact of a heel strike. They get deformed under heavy weight and are not ideal for lifting. That's why shoes with flat rubber soles like Vans or chuck taylors are preffered if you want something good on the cheap, or something with flat soles and raised heels like the adipowers but they're pricey.

I squat with my shoes off. Hit 475 for a double this week.

Good lifting shoes' soles don't compress even if you have quite a lot of weight on the bar. Running shoes are quite the opposite.

You can do anything you want

A lot of people suggest not doing it because the heel is raised on a lot of shoes
You can DL barefoot if your gym allows it or be a turbo sperg and bring two pairs

You may be able to get away with it, but it's not preferable

Fuck that. I've been wearing the same bowling shoes for the last 3 years. I don't need any fancy fucking status shoes.

>You can DL barefoot if your gym allows it
this is my problem, that's why I am asking.

I always lifted barefoot and now my new gym warned me and said it was prohibited for some reason.

thanks I was confused becuase I heard about this whole heel compression thing but when I looked at the adipowers they looked just like running shoes not realizing the heel part was totally solid. guess I'll start looking for some adipowers then

yeah my gym doesn't allow it either. are there any good lifting shoes that are maybe lower on the heel or something and could be worn for everything?

You can always get some non-lifting shoes with a solid heel

I lift in some adidas sambas
I'm pretty dyel, but so far they're exactly what I've needed
If you do get them, make sure you get the right version. There's one with a weird arch in it if I remember correctly

I've always squatted barefoot atg, and have extremely flexible ankles. I've only just realised how underdeveloped my quads are when I tried with plates under my heels, holy shit the biomechanical advantage makes it so much better. Buying a pair as soon as I can get my measurements right.

Do not listen to barefoot puritans. The exercise is far more hamstring and glute dependant. My quads are still sore from 2 days ago for being used properly for once. No quad gains at all.
(realised something was off when I could diddy 5.5 plate and only squat 3, and front squat 2 plate for 1)

You would run in hiking shoes/boots would you. Those training shoes that you posted are mostly for compression when force is applied to cushion impact. However for weightlifting you are for the most part stationary and need to be balanced for the most part. Lifting in these shoes is like lifting on a pillow, doesnt feel like it but for squats and deads its considerable.

back squats aren't really quad dominant senpai. If you want that tear drop your going to need to do front squats.

wouldn't *

Unless your feet are crazy wide, it's doubtful that this is a huge problem.

A lot of people say the Adipowers have a narrow toe box (the actual shoe itself is not much more narrow than the Nikes), which is sort of does, but once they break in, the shoes feel like slippers.

I wear Adipowers. I own Romaleos and Power Perfect IIs as well. This is my opinion:
The Romaleos are the best mainstream shoes you can buy in terms of quality. However, the heel height is substantially higher than the aforementioned Adidas models. While the effective height may be the same, the shoes are pitched very differently. If you're trying to snatch or clean and jerk as much as possible, this matters. A higher pitch/heel height is not always better... it's why you see a lot of Nike sponsored athletes wearing Adidas shoes with the stripes taped over.

I've cracked the heel on two pairs of white Adipowers. My jerk is very violent but my feet don't even leave the floor in the snatch and clean. I really don't understand why this happened. I since bought a pair of black Adipowers and they have outlasted both individual pairs of my white ones.

The Power Perfects are, in my opinion, the best shoe you can buy for the price. I only don't wear them because they're ugly. But they are legitimately good shoes, especially for just general use, ie squats and maybe some power cleans. They don't cup the heel as much as Adipowers do which is my only.real gripe with them. I think they're better built than the Adipowers though, and if I crack.the heel on my black ones, then I'm fucking stocking up on Power Perfects.

I have also used a few versions of Do Wins and I destroy those consistently. I oly lift four times per week.

While we're on this topic what's Veeky Forumss opinion on using indoor soccer shoes as gym shoes.

sorry your ankle flexibility is so trash that you cant do a slav squat with flat feet.

My lifting shoes got stolen out of my car. I can only assume some nigger though they were dunks because they were fly as fuck.

Power Perfects are also cheap (relatively speaking).
Only those heavy-ass Do Wins and Powerlifts 2 are cheaper

get power perfects OP

Thanks for the advice senpai bam

np

Those Romaleos that Lu has on there look dope as fuck in person. my body can't handle the extra pitch of the shoe, otherwise I'd wear them.

Just another warning, the pitch of the shoe can matter for squats. I remember I had knee pain from squats when I met my coach (I was wearing the Nikes). He watched me snatch and squat in them, then barefoot, had me take the soles out of the shoes, then repeat the process, then closed the day telling me to get Adipowers.

Since I switched I have zero knee pain.

My thoughts on applying this information, is that if you currently squat in say, Chucks, and have zero pain, getting an Adidas shoe (besides the new one... aggressively pitched shoes are en vogue right now) may not be the worst call.

Literally can't recommend the PPIIs enough.

I like these ones

I can actually, I don't even own shoes with a raised heel, I just recognize the benefits

Check for an anecdote

Rippetoe has said lack of weightlifting shoes is the biggest mistake he sees at the gym.

It's just so good for your balance and health. Makes it a lot easier to maintain form and to be safe.

>yeah my gym doesn't allow it either

just take your shoes off right before you deadlift and put them back on after you pull? i doubt anyone will even notice.

>If you want that tear drop your going to need to do front squats.

i don't think this is true at all, my vmo's got huge with just high bar squats before i ever started front squatting.

only pair in the world and their his. I heard Antas are fucking amazing

I read the "daily feedback and responses from staff" things on the wall between sets and there's literally at least one complaint about incorrect shoe usage every fucking week.

>>I like these ones

they're the wrong color this year though :^)

>I read the "daily feedback and responses from staff" things on the wall between sets and there's literally at least one complaint about incorrect shoe usage every fucking week.

what

do you go to some kind of fancy fitness club or something?

he donated them to weightlifting museum

A lot of people who're just starting out know they have problems with willpower so they set themselves goals to hit before they spend money on shit.

If you actually know what you're doing it's easier to deadlift in weightlifting shoes than it is without them.

Damn Lu God

Wish I can get my 45lb bumper signed by him.

>>If you actually know what you're doing it's easier to deadlift in weightlifting shoes than it is without them.

to be fair, it could be depending on muscular imbalances and build. there's a powerlifting gym out here and some big dudes pull heavy ass weight in weightlifting shoes. i'd assume their coach told them to for whatever reason.

i think max aita does as well

no it's just a regular 24/7 gym. I have noticed that there seems to be an uncommonly high number of people doing squats, deadlifts etc. and very few middle aged people sitting on machines. on average I'd say people are usually split 40/40/20 cardio/free weights/machines. so maybe more tryhards? I can't say.

But actually yes.

Just ordered these as babbies first gym shoes. Not feeling the gold text, probably gonna scrape it off somehow.

How'd I do lads? Am I going to have to burn them on arrival?

i just really see no advantage in your heels being higher up when doing a deadlift. cleans and snatches sure, because you have to catch the weight, but i feel like you're at a disadvantage with raised heels when deadlifting. for me the higher up i can get my hips at the start of the pull, the more power i have off of the floor, and weightlifting shoes would force my hips down a bit lower, limiting my power.

if you're a weightlifter though it might feel better to just pull in weightlifting shoes.

i really don't think you're going to be able to make a convincing argument that a lower starting position for a deadlift will put you at an advantage, feel free to try though.

standard chuck taylor is what u guys are looking for, for deads

i a a weightlifter, and i don't ever deadlift unless i'm fucking around. but if i am fucking around, i pull barefoot.

i ain't saying it's common, but maybe quad dominant people just like the heel.

i suppose it's the same reason why my coach makes me wear adipowers instead of romaleos. my legs are really quad dominant, extensively so, and we want the weight in the hamstrings, and it's easier for me to do that with a lower heel

how to look like a faggot anywhere in 1 easy step

If you have the money for it and youre sure you wont quit gym in 3 months, then go for it!
Otherwise just regular vans with a flat sole are good. Or you can join the bare footed master race.

thanks senpai if it wasn't for this thread i wouldn't have seen that the powerlift 2.0 were on sale on the addidas site.

Low bar and front squat master race reporting in. I do both alternating.

yeah I've been lifting for 7 months now and feel confident I'll keep it up so I don't mind investing a little. but I'm worried since some guy above said they shouldn't be used for DL. are they purely designed for squat? what about OHP or cable exercises where you also stand up? my gym doesn't allow bare feet so if I buy a pair of lifting shoes I'd like to keep them on for my entire workout every time.

Looking pretty dope my man.

They're largely just for squatting and the Olympic lifts (plus variants on them). Some guys like to OHP in them, others find it throws off their positioning. A few people bench in them but its not super common.

Also not everyone benefits from squatting with them. It depends a lot on your form and proportions.

why do you still need a trip? to post funny reddit pics?

ok I guess I'll just look for some shoes with a hard flat sole. are all the "lifting shoes" like the power perfect or powerlifts the same way just for squatting?

we really need a good guide to shoes for weightlifting

haha yeah reddit

I'm only squatting 100kg, and i've been thinking about getting weightlifting shoes (Cheap ones) would it be a wise decision?

I squat 3 times a week and DL twice. Right now i just use my plain shoes.

Buy nice or buy twice

For deads, no. The raised heel of proper shoes will help you hit depth and avoid other issues with your squat.

I have those adipowers. Cost me about 200 dollars but the heels are harder than the bone in your femur and provide an incredible stability and balance. I've been using them for almost a year now I reckon and I get shellshocked whenever I see someone squat in regular running/training shoes. I can just picture their little ankles snapping in half.

>caring about what you look like in the gym

never gonna make it user

bought some chuck taylors this year, really happy with them, used to lift in running shoes

>It won't even make a difference
>you MUST get them as soon as you enter the gym

Lad is reebok crossfite nano 5.0 good for squatting?
I know it's better to buy straight weightlifting shoes but I want to do more exercise than just powerlifting/weightlifting stuff and I don't want to swap shoes every 30 minute

Powerlift 2s or should i get something more expensive?

are you an actual retard? look at them

Powerlift 2s are absolutely fine, had a pair for a while now, absolutely no issues.

is it ok to squat barefoot too?

Fuck my shit country only has 2 models

Adidas Crazymove Bounce W or Gymbreaker Bounce.

Are those decent or should I just lift without shoes

Not him but imagine being exposed to the same dumb shit every day for years

Those are not weightlifting shoes, don't get them.
They have to look something like in OPs pic

>ctrl+v "risto"
>o results

fit, you make me sad. Handmade shoes and they ain't that pricey

ctrl+f*

god I'm retarded

>they're the wrong color this year though :^)
savage

Get Wei Ruis, cheap and durable.

Lifting barefoot is strictly worse than squatting in weightlifting shoes.

just front squat for quads then?

They're both good. I have the VX3s and my friend has the Warriors. I dig the wooden heel, but the veneer has started coming off after 2 years of use. Doesn't actually affect the shoe's performance, just a blemish.

>It won't even make a difference
>you MUST get them as soon as you enter the gym

No, you should get them as soon as you aren't wasting money. It's fucking proper footwear. It really won't make much of a difference in the weight you lift, it will however keep your stupid ass from hurting yourself. But don't let logic get in the way of you firing off another shitpost.

There's been some egregious anti-weightlifting-shoe memeing on /fit lately. I don't agree with 's vehemence, but it is kind of annoying.

Very mixed reports on durability and customer service, literally everything from "best I've ever used and the owner let me take her daughter's virginity" to "they spontaneously combusted in the middle of a set and the owner did nothing but fart into the phone when I called to complain."

The concept is cool, they have some sweet-looking weird/retro designs, but I'm not really feeling the love.

For all you people claiming you can't dead lift in weight lifting shoes, you can. The entire notion that you shouldn't comes from the idea that the heel makes the distance the bar has to travel slightly longer and thus can be detrimental. There isn't a single fucking one of you that pulls enough weight that needs to worry about that while training.

"Needs to worry" elides a lot of variability. There's a lot of shit we don't need to do, but do anyway.

Personally, I notice a much tighter setup and better position off the floor when I pull barefoot vs in lifting shoes, and I pull 440x3 at 210 or so, nothing impressive or unusual. At the very least, it's worth trying both ways.

That's the most retarded logic I've ever heard. Why don't you do everything at a disadvantage then, since you're not strong enough for it to matter.
Why not Deadlift from a deficit with a pause always?

i have super wide feet and purchased the romaleo 2s

they perfect and roomy but theyre like 170 - 200 usd