Anyone fighting addiction of any kind with lifting?

Anyone fighting addiction of any kind with lifting?

Does it work?

Asking because can't stop playing vidya and the only thing that interests me other than that is lifting.

Anyone with more serious problems like booze or drugs fighting it with lifting? Does it help?

I just want to have some sort of willpower to do some productive shit. Anyone else lifting to conquer their own weaknesses?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/l4yMz0TAdK4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Willpower is a myth, you have to let Jesus inside of you.

shameless self bump

i did, but now he wont stop offering to cut my grass again

I don't want to be the fuckboy of a mexican gay wrestler.

>the face of pure hate of women
>the bois are happy
why women can't understand how simple the male mind is?

cause they dont have that ass and are jelly

The word addiction implys you have no free will.

There are people with genetic predispositions to "addition", who had abusive parents, no money, shitty lives etc etc who chose to stop taking heroin.

You can chose to do whatever you like.

But yes, lifting will help. I used to enjoy binge drinking on the weekends, but now I have lifting goals I want to achieve I chose not to ruin them with drink.

I stopped smoking, but thats about it. I still play video games on rest days..all day long.

>Anyone fighting addiction of any kind with lifting?

yes, i'm addicted to lift heavy weights and putting them back on the ground. lifting helped me a lot to get over it.

i'm addicted to female bodies
yeah it works but not that well

It helps if you really care about gains and keep believing you will improve your life with it. If you've lost all hope nothing will help except Jesus.

the actual word addiction means an physical condition, and is an actual medical symptom so you are just looking like an idiot with that big boy attitude

But since the OP is talking about video games, I agree on that point. If you are not physically addicted to a substance, it's really just ironing out your bad habits into more productive ones

Do you have an objective definition of this "physical condition" known as addiction.

How do you explain the millions with "addiction" who stop doing whatever it is they're "addicted" to?

I'm just lazy tbqh pham.

>How do you explain the millions with "addiction" who stop doing whatever it is they're "addicted" to?
not him, but are you implying that "addicition" is only real if it is literally impossible to stop? do you not believe in addiction?

It depends on the substance. But lets say for caffeine and alcohol, it creates a physical addiction if it creates physical dependency at the GABA chief inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system.

Source: Kozell L, Belknap JK, Hofstetter JR, Mayeda A, Buck KJ. "Mapping a locus for alcohol physical dependence and associated withdrawal to a 1.1 Mb interval of mouse chromosome 1 syntenic with human chromosome" July 2008

No, I do not believe in addiction, in so far as it is used to excuse free choices.

What precisely do you mean by "physical dependency"? Do you mean someone who is physically unable to stop drinking and therefore has no free will, or someone who would die if they did stop?

There are people chose to stop drinking, whose "inhibitory" neurons are affected in the same way as others who keep drinking. Is it hard for a chronic drinker to quit? Yes. Is it impossible? No. So they aren't "physically dependent" and they aren't "addicted" -- if you define addiction as physical dependency, which you did.

Alcohol does happen to be one of the few substances where withdrawal can actually be fatal for a long-term drunk.

>can't stop playing vidya
what games? I have the opposite problem I wanna get into gaming again but all recent games are shit. I wanna feel how it is to not be able to leave the computer because I'm having so much fun

>willpower
That's the problem. You don't fight addiction with willpower because addiction is so ingrained in you. You instead replace it with healthy habits like lifting. I conquered my alcoholism with exercise. Eventhoygh I still get the cravings and urges, they don't bother me anymore since I've learned to associate te urges and cravings with a proper behavior to cope with it. 12 step mettings (if you need a support system) can be a decent start, but don't rely on them fully.

At first it is a choice. But it becomes a survival mechanism afterwards due to the rewarding effects on the brain. It replaces it as a want into a need. It starts "needing" thst externsl chemical to create a dopamine flood. Due to the extremely high and easy way drugs and alcohol does this, it becomes an automatic behavior for survival that doesn't truly go away wven after we extinguished or reinfoeced better behaviors. This is why it's considered a disease.

youtu.be/l4yMz0TAdK4

this....I feel I am constantly trying to get back into it for the past experiences. It's just not the same any more. Even when high I find it boring af

If you stop video games will be boring after a few months. You will occasionally feel a pull to come back but don't do it.

Except this doesn't apply to the 99% of chronic drinkers to whom the label "addict" is applied.

I know you think you have science on your side but you're being deliberately vague with your language.

What exactly do you mean by "survival mechanism"? There are only a tiny minority of people who literally can't survive without their chosen poison. Then you say it becomes an "automatic behaviour", but, as I've said, people can and do quit, despite the dopamine floods, GABA inhibition or whatever.

You are trying to subtly suggest that people who are "addicted" to something *can't* stop -- which obviously isn't the case for the vast majority of people whom are labeled as "addicts".

Addiction is a woolly term used to excuse free choices.

used to be addicted to opiates

they lower test, literal gains goblin

luckily i am not a total degenerate now and i had some nice rebound gains

physical dependency is clearly defined

It simply means that the user will have physical withdrawal symptoms upon cessation of their drug of choice

How is someone "physically dependent" on a drug if they can physically become independent of the drug by deciding not to take it anymore, even if they have to go through "withdrawal"?

Like I've said, the vast majority of "addicts" will survive if they stop taking their drug of choice. So how are they "physically dependent"?

you mean you used to like taking opiates because, at that time, the pleasure outweighed the social and physical damage you were doing to yourself?