/run/ - Running General

New /run/ thread, old one reached the bump limit. Discuss/ask questions about running, injuries, training plans, goals, shoes, etc.

Pastebin: pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m
Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1724199/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23310924
watchfit.com/exercise/12-week-marathon-training-schedule/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are treadmills and ellipticals acceptable for gaining endurance?

Treadmills can ruin your knees, ellipticals are to running as a big wheel is to cycling.

What is this protrusion on my heel

which one of them really

Daily Reminder that endurance training can lower test

Is it hard and bony-like?
It looks like an extreme heal spur
Try to get it x-rated if it doesn't go away

God-mode running:

Morning
Outside on a trail near a canal or lake
Alone
No shirt

Or just before the sun is going down. Had a great run just a couple of hours ago, I went between 6:30 and 7:30pm. Shirtless, along the river with the orange sun still shining on my body. Felt like a fucking God

Yeah its hard

Just found out that apparently you're not supposed to run on concrete. Is it true? Is this why I'm always sore from the knees down?

So what should I run on? There's this stony sandy path beside the concrete runway that I usually run on, is that better?

Yes. Avoid concrete if you can. I make sure to use every front lawn or other softer undergrounds like little paths

asphalt is better for your joints than concrete

You should avoid asphalt as well in the long term. Always run on softer ground if you have the opportunity to do so.

I still hate marathon training. Got a really bad blister now. I think it now goes down past 4 layers of the epidermis.

I haven't ran w/o a shirt yet. I always do tanktops. Because I run around residential neighborhoods in general. Sounds amazing though.

I run along a path next to a canal, shirtless. But this week I didn't put my shirt back on when I reentered the residential neighbourhood. Too fucking hot and there is people walking around in a fucking burqa here so why wouldn't I be able to run shirtless.

Sup /run/

I started the C25K program today. My question is I have this old recumbent bike that I usually do my warm ups on (10 min or so) for lifting, and tomorrow is an upper body day for me...

My legs feel sore, but not bad, is it acceptable for me to continue using the recumbent bike to warm up for lifting of my off days of the C25k program?

Thanks brehs.

Perfectly fine. Cycling is a good form of crosstraining especially since it's low impact.

Got hip bursitis from road running. What do?

Been painful for two months now. Stretching and physio for last two weeks is sort of helping.
Anyone else had this?

Cool, and thanks again. I know you guys always say "listen to your body", which I certainly will, just wanted to make sure there wasn't any obvious advice like "NO DONT STRESS OUT YOUR LEGS TOO MUCH!"

New to running so want to take it easy, do it right, and minimize the risk of injury etc.

Get it examined asap.

Treadmills are never acceptable unless there's 4 feet of snow or -17F (-27C) outside. Ellipiticals only if you need to crosstrain while healing from an injury. However, waterjogging is much better and you maintain most of your aerobic endurance while also being low impact.

Don't care.

This.

It's okay every once in awhile. But if you're doing it all the time, it's a good possibility. Maybe try varying your terrain and see if it goes away after awhile. If it doesn't, you just have poor form.

Go for it.

I'm assuming that you do squats and standard leg exercises on a regular basis? If so, even better. The soreness is most likely you not used to the consistent high impact from running.

Good luck on continuing C25K!

Thanks!

Thanks! Indeed I do, and you're probably exactly right. Always stayed away from treadmills, and never particularly liked ellipticals, so I've always done cycling machines for cardio and warm ups.

But, just getting tired of always seeing the same crap. Thought I'd get out and get some fresh air and get into some running. Plus I now live innawoods in the mountains by a lake so plenty of trails and what not to see.

>not running exclusively around a lake as the sun is setting, seeing the beautiful vanilla sky and all of the stars beginning to appear

If you can't run on grass or dirt, at least run on the road instead of the sidewalk. Asphalt is softer than the concrete on the side walk

Source senpai?

>left knee swollen and aching
>left achilles heel is aching
>left arch is sore as fuck

Fucking help

I'm gonna run on grass tomorrow guys

>Constant mosquitoes

Cut the lake, paste in a back country road. Sign me up.

Your knees? I thought the treadmill felt gentler to run on.

>start running with bit sore muscles
>high temperature outside
>cant make 5k

just

Treadmills have always been shite.

Funny thing is in today's age you would think someone would come out with some NASA type soft rubber invention that rotates around that could potentially be better on your joints than soft ground itself. Gold mine waiting to happen there.

I got runners knee pretty bad this past winter from running on a treadmill at the local gym. it's shit to run on

I started running a few months ago as a former smoker and fatty. I ran a 5k in early July and I've been upping my distance so I'm now doing over 7 miles like 4 days a week, and a 5k once or twice a week with a running group.

I'm feeling pretty good increasing my distance. My question is: how much will mixing things up with a few days here and there with track sessions or hill runs help me prepare for my next race--probably a 10k or half marathon? Is it critical or not a big deal, and how often should I do that?

r i c e that shit man

It's not absolutely the most critical thing to do, but it will definitely help. Speedwork/track workouts once a week, and running on some hilly terrain can go a long way.

There isn't any unless you are running 40+ miles weekly, which that is to the point where it gets unhealthy. Any lowering of testosterone is a result of very high levels of cortisol that results from really long bouts of running.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1724199/

Running actually increases testosterone, but more so when doing intervals.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23310924

The rumors about "running decreasing testosterone" came about from Ryan Hall retired from running due to low-T. Of course, all the bodybuilders who are afraid of cardio jumped on this and spread it around just like the "cardio ruins gains" myth.

So I've gotten in much better shape over the last year, I've lost about 65 lbs of fat, I have been lifting 3x per week consistantly, and I plan to keep doing so.

I have been running for one week.

I have ran everyday, and I have ran as far as I could muster.

I have tried to increase distance a bit every day.
So seasoned runners, is this a good strategy? Should I run everyday? Or should I just run everyday that I don't lift on for best results.

I would like to lose excess fat and better my cardiovascular system

thanks guys

Oh idk if it matters, but it has been about 15 degrees celcius outside when I have been running

What makes sprinting different? Short bursts of running with all muscles and then stopping then repeat?

>I have ran everyday, and I have ran as far as I could muster.
Enjoy your injuries. Take a day break before you run again. The only time you should run multiple days in a row is when you have built up your aerobic endurance enough to do cumulative fatigue half-marathon or marathon training.

And slowly build up your miles, not as far as you can. Building up too fast can put so much stress on the muscles and bones from the high impact that running is.

It's more an anaerobic exercise that builds better strength and resilience in your muscles. This leads to better injury prevention, better form and higher VO2max. It's why even long-distance runners should be doing sprints (specifically hill sprints.)

Thank you very much for the advice user, I have felt much more sore the last few days, I'll definitely take breaks in between.

As I said I have only been doing this for a week, so I don't think it will lead to any damage so far.

So would you reccomend running every other day then? I'm sorry if what I'm asking is very basic, I have never really ran before.

Not baiting here.

I'm signed up for NYC Marathon this fall.

I'm 30 and my peak weekly mileage was in college at around 70 mi/week.

I'm about the same weight now as I was in HS. 160lb.

Here's the catch: I have not run more than 5 miles/week since spring. How much of a health risk is it to run the marathon if I continue this weekly mileage level going into the marathon in November?

I'm thinking in terms of heart health, but most likely something like a fracture in the leg somewhere.

Post tits

When you begin resting a few days between runs you'll find that you can endure much longer runs. Give it a day or two and and at the end of the month you will probably cover more distance than you would if you ran every day. Atleast that's my experience.

>So would you reccomend running every other day then?
Yes. If you feel really sore, then two is also okay.

It's possible, but you'll have to push hard in the next two months since you want to have at least 2-3 weeks to taper. The best thing to do is maybe add 2 miles every week to your long, slow run starting with 6 miles until you reach mile 20. By mile 20, you should maintain at lower miles at 14-16 until your taper. Then during the week, run 3 hard miles 2-3x/week with intervals and hill runs.

This involves a lot of running many days in a row, but it can help you out. However, the risk of injury is high.

watchfit.com/exercise/12-week-marathon-training-schedule/

I've run 2 sub 30 minute 5ks the past week since my gym is closed and running and bodyweight is my only option. For someone who normally only jogs 3-4 miles a week is this good? My fastest 5k was today at 27 minutes, and that included about 2 minutes of walking after I hit the end of mile 2. I don't plan on actually running in a 5k anytime soon I just wanted to know if this was a decent time for someone who has never trained in actual running

I'm 6'3" 205lbs btw

Good job. Those are average times.

Thanks. I might actually try to run a 5k since I actually have been enjoying running more recently since I do it outdoors, the treadmill is just awful, but once I head outside running is pretty fun.

What is generally considered a "good" time for a 5k?

I'd say sub 20 is good. Sub 18 is great. Sub 16 is elite.

Two newb questions: How would I train to increase my mile time? Does the strangling feeling of a constrictor wrapping around my chest ever go away?

That doesn't sound good user

Ex-smoker. It's weird because I can do an hour on an elliptical, or row a 5k...but a quarter mile into a run and my chest feels like it's going to explode and I can't breathe enough.

How many times a week do you do weighted let exercises of you run 40-50 miles a week? I usually do one heavy squat day and then do a single leg day workout (lunges, split squats, etc)... But sometimes I'm tired and the first thing I skip is lifting

not everyone is fucking elite runner you dipshit...

a good 5k time is whatever time you initially get. once you have initial time you can start running towards your "good time"

ex. run first ever 5k in 28min.
now you have initial time and now you can train for YOUR "good time".
ex. run 5k in 23min
now you have a better time and a good time. still not good enough? keep training for that better time.

tired of people telling new runners that these elite times should be attainable as if it were nothing...

>I ran a 5k in early July and I've been upping my distance so I'm now doing over 7 miles like 4 days a week, and a 5k once or twice a week
That's quite a jump.

Treadmills killed me. Got bad tendon problems from it. 2 months of treatment on my hamstring tendon and I could start running and sprinting again...

Never ran on treadmills again, ran out doors, never ever had overuse problems again.

if you're indoors, stick to the bike man.

It's all on your left side, you should massage your calves and the muscles near your shins with a foam roller or golf ball. Then you should pick up a towel with your toes 3 x 20 times ( it works the muscles/tendons that support the achilles, so less load on achilles tendon).

left knee is swollen probably cause you have really tight and weak hamstrings, glutes and quads.

Also use orthotics

its horrible bro. fucking horrible. stay away from treadmills.

Hearty kek

I'm taking my 5'6 220lb dad running tomorrow in the morning. I got him some Mizuno wave connect 2's and decent compression stuff to stop his legs chafing and I'm putting him on C25K on a flat grassy area to avoid knee damage. Any tips I can give him considering his weight? He walks about 15-20k a day at a decent pace because he has dogs so I actually have a feeling the first day of C25K will be too easy for him but I don't want to rush it. Obviously I'm helping him sort his diet out too, he wants me to start making his meals for work when I do mine.
Feels good when a family member wants to get fit and asks for help from you rather than spouting mom science everywhere.

Post feet.

I just got back from a long run. Set a new PB and felt good at the end, but really dehydrated.

Then... tiny amount of blood in my urine after. Is this the end, am I doomed? Or just the result of being dehydrated?

it's called an ankle mate

What do you expect from Veeky Forums? These are the same people who give shitty advice and are afraid of cardio yet give the excuse that it "ruins your gains" while forgetting that many of the bodybuilders they admire do cardio.

Red urine isn't always blood. It's a common sign of dehydration. Keep yourself hydrated during runs.

No offense but I seriously doubt most people would be able to go from 5 per week to a full marathon in 2.5 months

It's doable, but extremely risky as the injury rate is most likely 100%. The plans available are to help people do it without injury.

how in gods name to I get 1.5 miles sub 10 minutes oh lord I am so unfit I wish I was just squatting

With time and rest. It will make you squat better lad don't worry

when I begin my cut I intend to do C25K on soft beach sand

good or bad idea?

but the interview with the army is in two weeks and I've been stuck in this 10:10 - 10:20 hellhole for near a month noww

It's just harder man soft sand is just irritating unless you run right next to where the waves wash up
Do HIIT then lad it'll help
What is your schedule like currently?

I want it too be harder, good for strength and bigger calves. Unsure if it is bad for the joints though.

Nah it's nice and squishy you shouldn't hurt your joints lad

Do you guys do harder, vo2max type workouts during the last few weeks of your training before a race?
My plan is to run 4x1km repeats once a week on track (excluding the final week) in preparation for my 10k race and I've got three more weeks to go
This week I ran the repeats in 4:19, 4:14, 4:04 and 3:51 with a 4min rest in between
I run ~35 miles per week in total
My goal is to finish the 10k race close to 45 min
Thoughts?

>tfw live in big city and nothing but concrete and asphalt to run on

This. I bet you have fantastic small tits from all the running you do, and good sized ass butt from that occasional strength training.

pretty awful really. do cycling for 5 minutes warm-up, practice 1.5 mile time, do bodyweight exercises while I recover, then practice shuttle runs, then go for a 5-10k run on a route round town at a relaxed pace. doing this 3 times a week.

lifting 3 other days (not an issue now, I'm definitely good for strength, onto madcow for squats & bench, still making sl 5x5 progress on dl, at 50/110/150/170kg), then resting on saturdays.

I know nothing about running training, and you're probably about to tell me I don't run enough. the standard for entry is 10:30, but really I should be getting well below that. I wasn't expecting them to give me an interview so soon really, so I really haven't been running as long as I'd like to have been, and really don't think my stamina levels are up to it. plus I'd put on a bit of weight to help with weight training, that's not helped too much either.

I guess if you're going for 10km then 4min kms aren't that bad but I'd be much more comfortable if you were well below 4. You should do it in 45 fairly easily based on those times if you have a good base

Where do you live?

What makes you guys think I'm a girl?

The question is not running enough, it's running intelligently. If you do the same session, week in week out, then of course you're not going to make huge gains in speed, you're going to plateau. Try doing more long runs to build up your base, like 40-1hr runs non-stop @4.50mins. By the end you should be fairly knackered.
Honestly that session looks like it should be split up over the week and made harder.
Warm up for longer silly, are you doing dynamic stretches beforehand? May look stupid but they really work, and if you're super sore then static lad. Hope it all works out for you

Yeah you should warm up for at least 15-20 mins, 5 mins will just get you injured. Keep hydrated etc and eat good food beforehand

>started running in march
>been making steady progress
>last 2 months my times have been going up instead of down because of the heat
>losing all motivation to keep running

Drink water and eat enough food, run when it's cooler. You'll make it if you want to

>have 10 miler in october
>can run about 4 miles currently
>hate going outside and running in 90+ degree temp every other day
i feel you

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like it's a duck, then it's a duck.

>womanly feet
>neatly trimmed nails
>advert that uses your demographics to put out best recommended ad (in this case, dresses)
>times are on par with average female
>run way more than strength train
>posting photo to attention whore

Now post tits and ass. Also, London?

Guys, do you have any methods to keep mosquitos away?

Run faster, I guess

the funny thing that it works

It does even with all bugs.

>be on trail
>walking to warm up
>bugs everywhere
>start running
>bugs don't bother me at all
>stop run
>walk to cool down
>bugs flying everywhere

same as soon as i stop bugs all ovar the place start running one or two hits my face but thats it

>run
>get exhausted but still run
>bug into eye

FUCK

>not eatting bugs on the run for the caloric boost

Learn how to breathe better and slower. That's why your chest feels tight.