Rarely see anyone at my gym bench >100kg

>Rarely see anyone at my gym bench >100kg
>Guys who do bench a lot are usually massive, look like they're on steroids
>Have never see anyone bench more than 140kg in my entire life, not counting videos online
>Meanwhile everyone on Veeky Forums claims to bench at least 120kg

What is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have mates that bench 160+ kilos. Looks pretty cool

Tfw bench 150 kg and all the other gymrats in my gym bench around 60-90kg
Bow for the king

Depends on your gym. I generally work between 100kg and 120kg, but I'm one of the smaller guys. I see regulars load up 4pl8 and then just slam it home for perfect reps like it's nothing.

How's the first month of lifting? I bench 200kg for reps.

My buddy benches 140kg and he looks like he could maybe do 90kg max, its surreal.

Saw some homeless looking black lanket come in, throw on 3pl8 no warm-up with his skinny arms then bench it for 7 reps for sets without an issue. He left after that.

>first month
kek, you fucking dyel shit, i was repping 220 on my first day

>200kg

nice, I bench 201kg 4reps

How do you fags bench so much? Is this some sort of meme?

>alone with a big guy in gym
>he asks to spot him on bench with a grin on his face
>whatever, go for a spot
>100kg
>does 10 reps easily
>throws the bar forward over the bench past his legs
>"sorry, guess didn't need a spot"

my 1RM is 120kg

Veeky Forums is a collection of autistic nerds, of course you're gonna see a collection of strong people here.

Average gym goer is weak as hell.

Why is anyone benching that when you can actually do push ups, cuz your lifting your body and bodies are usually 60-90kg?
I mean, push ups are even better cuz they work a few other muscles too besides pecs.

3 inch rom due to back snapping arches

weak Bait

Kek@believing what people claim on /fit. Half of the people here are fat and never touched a weight

that is because you train at a commercial gym, I used to think the same until I moved to a real small strength gym where everyone benches at least 120kg

pushups are like 70% of your bw and besides that its harder to load, you need some guy to put weights on your back

I used to bench 300kg a year ago, back before you came to this gym, but I messed my shoulder up

I always love when people make claims like this.

>yeah I bench significantly more than the IPF memearch bench record in my weight class

Of course you did, champ. Of course you did.

I've got only one pec and I bench 102kg 3x5
If I can, do it, homie you can do it aswell

I go to a uni gym that has a lot of "oly lifter" types and I've never seen any of them bench that much even though they're ridiculously strong.

All of my friends do this shit.

One of my friends claimed with a straight face that "back in the day" (when he was 17, which is apparently the prime if your strength according to retards) he used to bench 140kg for 8 reps but he can't now because he's "older" (he's 26) and he hasn't been in the gym for years.

Oly lifting is trex mode the sport

Jesus, you're dense

>I've got only one pec and I bench 102kg 3x5

How did you get it up that high?

>one pec

You can't just say this type of shit and not explain yourself.

Oly lifters generally train press over bench if they train either seriously. If you don't train a lift like that, you probably won't get very strong in it.

2 years of lifting
also poland syndrome, was born like that

>mfw I barely lift 1.25pl8
>mfw over a year in the gym

what is this terrible meme
this board is depressing

eat more

Been on Veeky Forums for years, first day i knew people e-stat out the ass.

It never changed.

Because the Internet is for lying, bubs

my diet has enough red meat
don't wanna gain excessive fat when it is already considered a good diet

>found the weak faggot

I used to think the squat stats were made up. Then I learnt proper form and stopped being a pussy

enjoy benching 1.25pl8 for another year then, weakling

1/2/3/4 should take you a year or less to hit. No estating. If you are under that you are fucking up

Oh is that the secret then? Are all of you obese?

No, you just can't gain strength if you don't eat enough protons

While it is fairly easy to reach a 3pl8 squat, I'd estimate about 50% of the people who claim it on Veeky Forums don't hit depth.

Bench cheating is a lot more blatant, though. On squat, people don't hit depth because they don't understand what 'parallel' means (they assume it refers to any part of the leg parallel to the ground rather than THIGHS parallel to the ground.)

With bench, you see people stopping a good 3'' above their chest and claiming they do 100kg for reps. There's absolutely no way they can't realise that's bullshit.

Yes, less than a year on steroids or if you come from manual labor background and are strong as fuck allready.

You fucking delusional fuckwads, I never heard of anyone who would achieve 2pl8 bench natty in under a year.

This whole place is absolutely retarded.

I'm just approaching 3 months in

85kg bench
60kg OHP
60kg sqaut
140kg Diddy

5'8 72kg

Why is my sqaut so shit guys.

My dick is 10". True story.

When you're benching it's actually like doing pushups with weight added because of the normal force being exerted on your body from the air.

If you bench 100kg at 80kg bodyweight, you're actually doing pushups at 180kg. It's simple physics

>unequipped world record for superfats is 275 at 150 bw
>highest record for sub 105 is 52kg below that and hasn't been broken for 50 years
>form used to achieve IPF records best described as 'suspect' and at worst describe as 'involves arching the back to the point where ROM is about 3 inches'

And I'm the dense one. You enjoy telling people you used to bench 300kg back in high school, though.

Most of you guys have been low power level humans for most of your lives and you expect not to be weaklings when it comes to lifts
ha Ha ha

You go to a gym filled with pussies.

The early morning guard in my gym are fucking monsters, it's a whole gym filled with guys deadlifting 5pl8 and benching over 4pl8. Everybody lifts or talks competition.

The evening discussion club is a buch of 28-32 year old dads, who discuss lifting, eating and routines. Nobdy does any lifting, proper dieting or progress in their routines, they just talk about it.

It's fucking sad, that I cannot go in the morning anymore, I enjoyed being the weakest a lot more than that I enjoy push pressing other people's squat.

Because oly lifters don't train bench

>The evening discussion club is a buch of 28-32 year old dads
>28 - 32 year old

It's blatantly obvious that some Veeky Forums posters are under 18. Do you really think 28 is "dad age"? really?

In my gym I have the strongest bench and its only 80 kg.
>tfw most of the regulars are 60-70 year old grannies or some high school kids curling 10 kg.

>85kg bench
>60kg OHP
>3 months in
>72kg

Sure thing, kiddo.

I can bench 140kgx8, but only if I use straps.

>OHP the same as your squat
Dude you gotta check your form, if you diddylift 3plate you should be able to squat close to that as well.

We are stat bros btw my lifts are exactly the same except I squat 120

the bench part I believe, but OHP 60kg? maybe 1 rep max

>3 months in
>manlet 72kg
>thinking he will be over head pressin 60kg even for a rep

Sure thing. This is why this board is a joke.

144p bait

it's more like 50% than 70%

>not benching 2pl8 on your first day

I'd say it's a combination of e-stating and selection bias. If you got 8 people in a thread who can bench less than 2 plate, and only 2 people who can bench more than that, it's likely that only the 2 people will post, since they won't be embarrassed of their bench. This will make it seem like everyone on Veeky Forums can bench over 2 plates, but that's not the case.

Yeah, I find this hard to believe. Maybe if you did a lot of manual labor or forgot to mention that you've been doing brosplits for the past 3 years (which people here have a tendency to not count as ''lifting'' for some reason), but otherwise I'm going to call bullshit.

6 months lifting:
>bench 75
>ohp 55
>squat 107.5
>dead 120

how am i doing lads

Of course it's hard to believe, just a complete limp wristed moron probably from /a/ or /r9k/. Claims to be able to Dl 140kg yet is stuck on 60kg Squat.

Yeah.. only if DL worked your legs and lower back r-right?

T-rex godmode

I'm 17, 2% bodyfat at 6'1" 225lbs and I can bench 3 plates, completely natty with full ROM.

i have a 120 1rm while being 5'8 and get called dyel

really high OHP to bench

Did you pack the weights up yourself after him?

Any claimed numbers are irrelevant anyway. Do you bench with a flat back, how wide is your grip, touch chest or not, lock elbows or are you half repping, natty or juicing, are you bounce repping, etc, etc.

I am doing 100kg for 8-10 reps per set as we speak.

I lurk between sets.
I dont think you see it much because many strong bros use dumbells over barbell.

Forgot my pic.

100kg isnt that much ro be honest.

Im more impressed seeing solid sets of 40kg on the dumbells.

Dubs dont lie.

this

I bench 100kg for 6 reps

35kg DBs are hard as fuck

>ohp same as squad
are you sure you're doing the exercises right-side up?

It's because Powerlifting and strength training is getting more popular on the internet.

And you must train at some horrendously shit commercial gym, because every gym I've been to that isn't planet fitness tier has at least two guys benching over 120kg every time I visit.

Also I bench 4pl8 squat just under 6 and deadlift just under 7.5, and nowhere near as strong as the strongest guys i know irl, just go to a decent gym and you'll find non weaklings there.

I bench 105kg for 1 and OHP 80kg for 1.
>tfw dislocated my shoulder 9 months back and it still prevents me from progressing my bench.

Honestly I think if you cant 1/2/3/4 for 5 reps each you are weak. Not piss weak but i would not be impressed. 105kg 6'2 16%bf 20yo hit those numbers easily

>hit those numbers easily
maybe it's because you're over 100kg dummy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias

assuming everyone is telling the truth, the explanation is that the people who have a good bench reply, the people who have shit bench usually don't.

t. 62kgx6 bench press, lifting since June 5.

the average fit adult male weights around 75kg

I would fucking hope you can bench 100kg for a few reps if you weigh 105kg

This is simple, a combination of 2 things:
>most people at gyms don't lift seriously, they're weak.
>most people on Veeky Forums actually dont lift and/or are just skeletons wishing they looked like zyzz or adie.

Honestly, if you cant do 15+ pullups you're weak. Not piss weak but I would not be impressed.

65kg 5'5 12%bf 16yo could hit those numbers easily.

You're implying that handstand push up with 100kg extra weight needs the same force as bench pressing, nigga u cray.

My gym is full of dyels and old people in khakis and dress pants playing on machines with confused looks and doing cardio. I'm the strongest guy that I've seen there and my max is 245lb for reps. My old gym was a powerlifting gym and I miss it dearly. I don't want to be the strongest, I want to see other people do more and work my way up to them.

You must go to a shitty gym. I can think of at least 10 guys in my gym that can bench over 3plate, myself not included.

Honestly I think if you cant do 160kg bench for 5 reps you are weak. Not piss weak but i would not be impressed. 82.2kg 6'4 8%bf 22yo (with 9.3/10 gf) and i hit those numbers easily

handstand push up is a vertical pressing moving, the fuck you're on about

This doesn't look right user pls. If i weigh 200 kg and do 50 kg benches am i doing 250 kg pushups? Why does my bodyweight factor to lift things UP?

>the 'average' 'fit' adult male is a skinny manlet

What metric are you using for 'fit' there?

the problem with bench/push-up comparison is in the fact that you have your feet supporting some of your bodyweight.

incline planes is a good way to explain why leg presses are so much easier than squats, but it doesn't apply to pushups.

>Did you pack the weights up yourself after him?
Sorry not a native english speaker. You mean did I lift the same weight? My bench max is only 90kg

that's weird. i can do 37.5 x 5 dumbbell chest press but only like 85 kg bench

On the other hand

>alone with skellington teenager in gym
>benching 4 plates just for 1 rep, should be nice and easy but I'll just get a spot for reassurance
>he looks like he knows enough to spot me
>ask him for a quick spot and tell him he probably wont need to touch it at all
>start benching
>pause on my chest
>he panics
>grabs weight
>leans backwards
>pulls it over my neck
>I can't press it from this position and he cant pull it off me
>fuck me I'm going to die having my throat crushed by a barbell
>manage to push just one side so it starts to tip
>he finally catches on and starts pulling one side
>wiggle my head out
>throat feels crushed
>every time I swallow feels like being punched in the throat

Fucking hell lads I'm scared to bench heavy now

Had this happen to me recently but no spotter. I rolled it to my chest and feet aka the roll of shame. This seems much safer.

> they assume it refers to any part of the leg parallel to the ground rather than THIGHS parallel to the ground.

dumbass, proper depth is BELOW parallel. crease of the hips below the patella.

you can't do that at higher weights though, because you'll seriously bruise your abdomen.

was hillary your spotter by any chance?

Laughed

Everybody says shit like that to me when I squat.

>oh, yeah i used to squat 400 pounds back when I played football.
>what? How much do I squat? Oh, no, I can't squat, I have a bad knee :^)

Every. Fucking. Time. I squat.

I can bench the closest star to this planet easily.