Opinions on Diet Coke

Every time I see someone say that they drink diet soda or know someone that drinks diet soda there's a bunch of responses along the lines of, "Might as well drink normal soda!" and talk about how bad it is for you.
My question is, why is it as bad as normal soda? I'm confused, I thought that the whole point was to cut out 100+ calories from your day well still having something sweet to drink?
Opinions from either side are appreciated.

It's better because it has no calories. It's worse because the ingredients can be shady.

Artificial sweeterners and carbonation are both bad for your health

a way better alternative than regular soda, m8

drink only water and milk faggot

Never seen a thin person drink diet coke.

its fine but the ingredients that make it no calories are not as good as just drinking water and coffee with no cream/sugar of course

That's no way to live

fat fuck

hedonists aren't welcome here

>drink secretions of other animals
>2016
kill yourself already

What about carbonated water? No calories. No sweetners. Just water with the pleasent zip of carbonation.

If they could make big macs with 0 kcal, would you just sit alone at McDonalds all day stuffing your face for the rest of your life? Or if they made a chip that could be surgically inserted into your brain that made you feel euphoric all the time, would you get it? It has 0 kcal so why not treat yourself, right?

If you don't need more calories you don't need more food induced pleasure either. Stop trying to cheat the system.

>If they could make big macs with 0 kcal, would you just sit alone at McDonalds all day stuffing your face for the rest of your life?
no, but I would eat them
>Or if they made a chip that could be surgically inserted into your brain that made you feel euphoric all the time, would you get it?
yes, where do I sign up?
>It has 0 kcal so why not treat yourself, right?
right!

youre life seems really miserable m80, are you a protestant, or a german?

I wouldn't sit alone eating the big macs for the rest of my life, just like I haven't decided to sit around drinking diet soda for the rest of my life.
Food isn't a drug, you won't spiral if you indulge yourself a tiny bit.

>>Or if they made a chip that could be surgically inserted into your brain that made you feel euphoric all the time, would you get it?
>yes, where do I sign up?
Crack is available from any of your local drug dealing niggers mate, go for it.

>yes, where do I sign up?
It's called heroin, there is no sign up you just buy it online or on the street. Forget all you've heard about side effects they all just look bad from an outside perspective because you're not on heroin yet. They only stop eating and start living in back alleys because heroin feels much better than food and shelter and it'd make no sense to keep wasting money on anything else than heroin. Once you start taking it you'll understand.

It's unquestionably a great way to lose weight.

I'm with you man. I personally don't drink diet because I fit the regular into my calories. I've actually replaced all the food I eat with fast food, if you count your calories it's fine. Life is too short to not enjoy such amazing cuisine.

>Food isn't a drug, you won't spiral if you indulge yourself a tiny bit.
Of course not. Have a soda every now and then. But if you want a diet soda, isn't it because you've been indulging too much? If you have then I think it's a bad idea to keep indulging yourself.

cutting 100 calories from your day has absolutely no effect. 100 calories is nothing

My aunt is skinny as a rail and drinks it all the time
She loves it for some reason

Sugar doesn't make you fat, carb the fuck up

i heard a story that some dude drank nothing but the stuff and his vision flipped 180 literally, so i stay away from it..... also i have a natural tendency to avoid ingredients that i need to look up in order to know what it is

it is when ur daily intake is 1k :DD. low cal high protein diet brew

Interesting. Which doctor told you this story?

I don't drink diet soda because I've indulged myself, I drink it so I can eat a normal amount of food and still stay under a certain amount of calories.
When I diet, 200 calories is the difference between me feeling full and me staying awake with hunger. I'd rather fill that 200 calories with protein/vegetables/fruit and a diet soda than just a soda.

yeah well I take many drugs and don't really have a problem with it, but if I could have a chip without the side effects then it would be great

> hears one story, takes it as the absolute truth

I bet you'd love this story I have of a guy who gave me all his money and turned into a sex machine rock star

"flipped 180"
"literally"
explain, because I don't know what the fuck you mean
ok freelee

Honestly it's a good alternative for soda, but I don't drink soda so I stay away from it.

I'm a chemical engineering student and I can tell you that most of the ingredients are harmless at room tempature. Some of them decompose at high tempatures so don't heat the diet soda.

I used to drink normal Coke and Dr Pepper loads for years, started drinking Diet Coke this year instead and over time I found it was just as good, now I have about a can a day at most and drink water the rest of the time, obviously no Diet Coke is better but it can be good to get yourself off of the actual stuff.

You're still addicted to, and paying for garbage. If you stop for a while you'll realize it tastes like shit.
A can a day? Add up the money you spend over the years for the soda jew.

Freelee is so hot

180 as in his vision was reversed, idk how to describe it what dont u understand. like everything ur looking at if its 180d it now defies gravity lol..
the guy that experienced it i guess i dont think hes a dr tho
truth is stranger than fiction i guess lmao

I think it comes to about £155, as a can here costs just under 50 pence, I spent double that on t-shirts last weekend so I'm okay with it desu.

Yeah I deffo used to be addicted when I was drinking he proper stuff, back when I was obese I was on about 8 cans a day, I know a guy who eroded his stomach lining from drinking 3 litres a day for about 5 years straight and had to go to hospital, I wouldn't say I'm addicted anymore, i often go without.

do we know that it was soda related? i feel like if getting your vision flipped was a common side affect of drinking too much soda dumb kids would do it for kicks

>bubbles are bad for you

Yall have dr pepper in england?

They are total asshole retards

Diet soda is fine, drink literally gallons of it, it won't matter

Except, some diet sodas have a lot of sodium like regular soda, so if that's the case it could lead to some slight loss of definition if you're pretty shredded

But it doesn't cause cancer, it doesn't do anything, it's bubbly flavored salt water with no nutritional value and no risks.

Drink as much diet soda as you want, don't believe every wives' tale you hear

this except I occasionally drink green tea if I want something warm
underage b&

I used to drink soda as a teenager too. Then I grew up and realized water tastes better. Not drinking soda has nothing to do with "self-control" or "denying pleasure". That shit is disgusting and I wouldn't drink it even if it wasn't unhealthy.

I'm skinny and I like the taste of diet soda's better
>194cm & 75kg

>still having something sweet to drink
This is why you're still a fat piece of shit.

>I drink it so I can eat a normal amount of food and still stay under a certain amount of calories.
What? Drink water. That's the normal thing to drink. You're acting as if the choice is between regular or diet soda.

It's not food's fault you're fat. Food is supposed to have nutrients, it's not doing anything wrong. You're the one with a tendency to overindulge, and that is what needs to change.

But if I talk shit about diet soda then I can feel smug and superior. I'll even tell them they're the same as heroine addicts!

>why is it as bad as normal soda?
It's not, it's worse than water and "better" than pretty much everything else you can drink.
If everyone that drank soda switched to diet it would be wonderful from a public health standpoint.

this post has fat person logic written all over it.

it's fine to drink it if you're a heavy coke addict

but its showing weakness

>8 cans a day, I know a guy who eroded his stomach lining from drinking 3 litres a day for about 5 years straight and had to go to hospital, I wouldn't say I'm addicted anymore, i often go without.
i don't know how someone could drink this much fucking soda, I'll have one every once in a while but water is just so much more refreshing to drink.

I can tell you're American just by this post.

You're implying that he is ONLY drinking regular or diet soda's.

You know you can drink water and diet soda's right?

>but its showing weakness

Literal autism

lifting is about discipline

if you need coke zero then it shows you have lack of discipline

don't call someone an autist just because you feel guilt over drinking 20 cans of coke zero or whatever

>180 as in his vision was reversed

So you completely believed this story because some dude told you, never questioned it or the fact that it may have been an extreme exaggeration or had to do with diet soda what so ever.

Any you now tell people not to drink diet soda because it may "flip your vision, literally 180"

I want you to think about your life user and the choices you make in it.

Your need to post on Veeky Forums shows a distinct lack of discipline.

My parents are 90's health freaks (a.k.a. joggers, fat is bad for you, eat farmed fish). I grew up drinking diet soda, and really prefer it over regular. After I moved out of their house I started drinking 2-3L of diet coke/pepsi a day. I've quit smoking, drinking heavily, eating junk food, and being stoned all day, but can't quit the diet soda.

I drink a bit of diet soda. Quite like Pepsi max cherry.

The key to that is that I LIKE it. So I have it with a meal or something and in moderation.

How exactly is that a lack of discipline if I am well within my nutritional goals?

You genuinely have autism.

wont make it

You're genuinely never going to not be fat.

One of the few things that tastes good without being bad for you, people just wantto put it down because its so popular. Its the common "everybody does this bad thing but i know its bad wake up sheeple

Scientific proof?
Scientific proof?
Everyone would get a version of that chip you dumb shit

I drink it occasionally, sometimes makes me feel a little bad.
I just have a rule to drink at least an equal amount of water as diet sodas.

>doesn't know what carbonic acid is
>doesn't know what a gas is
kys

I do drink water, I drink tons of it. That's like assuming because someone has dessert at the end of the day then all they eat it is cake.

My friend is pretty Veeky Forums and uses it to get rid of cravings during cuts. I tell him he's have less cravings if he gave it up, but he won't listen because it is working for him.

Did Dr Pepper tell you not to drink coke?

How the fuck do you people drink so much soda. I'll literally drink soda maybe once a week? If that.

I drink a lot of fruit juice tho

is seltzer water bad for you too?

Carbonation is acidic and bad for your teeth.

He meant your own milk user

100 calories a day is 10.5 pounds gained every year

spreading some actual information

I want to thank Pepsi for making Pepsi Max taste better than regular Pepsi. Shit's great.

havent tried it yet
does it just taste like really flavorful pepsi?

It's a crutch. Just learn to drink water.

Shekkel

Why drink it when water is way cheaper and better for you
>Be me 1 year ago
>Drank 4 liters of soda a day plus surgery energy drinks
>Felt like shit every day low energy and bad hearth burn
>One day decided to get lean and cut soda as the easiest way to cut calories
>Dropped weight hearth burn gone and fulk of energy
>Drank only water and soon loved iced cold water
>Decided to try some soda again as reward for dropping 20 pounds
>Almost puked on how sweet it was
>Got immediate craving for some water
>I also was spending 25+ dollars a week on soda know I spend 3 dollars on filling up a 15 gallons of water jugs that last a week

Funny, I have drank diet coke & diet Pepsi since I was a kid

I'm 41 and shot this last week with iron sights at 300yrds without glasses

Anything bad associated with diet soda is anecdotal imo

At the end of the day it's not "bad" neccisarily it's just fuckin stupid.

It's like getting a tattoo. Not bad for you, but when I see people with them I think, "there goes another idiot".

Diet coke makes me feel like I'm about shit my drawers, and the taste is like sweet carbonated manure. I hate it with every extant fibre of my being.

I don't understand. I'm a Type 1 Diabetic, so I don't even remember what regular coke tastes like, but I just don't see the problem. It's not going to really detract from a healthy diet, and it has 30% more caffeine than coke, which is a plus for me.

Moreover, every argument I've ever heard against it have been the most meme'd out arguments I've ever seen. "Artificial sweeteners cause cancer!" "It will make you hungrier than real sugar and make you want to eat more!" Seriously?

It tastes like battery acid and you shouldn't be a bitch about "muh calories".

>you shouldn't be a bitch about "muh calories".

what happened to calories in calories out?

Depends on what you mean.

You seemed to be implying that a person shouldn't care about their caloric intake

If you do cardio, swim and exercise regularly, then soda won't do shit.
>inb4 - muh natty gains meme

You don't need opinions, you need research. I don't got any but I'm just saying opinions won't tell you anything and that's why you're asking in the first place.

>spending 25+ a week on soda
You can get 24 packs of soda for around $6, no need to exaggerate.

I wouldn't know, I'm the type 1 diabetic from here
so I don't eat sugar anyway. But I still think it's safe to say that dropping soda is a positive thing for most people looking to be (or at least to appear to be) fit

If they made 0 cal burgers i'd just eat them on cuts to feel extra full. Your logic is shit.

Yes, dropping soda and stuff like sweets is the best thing you can do health-wise. And it's a good way to drop weight if you don't want to exercise.
But I'm a human, I exercise regularly, I'm a very active person, so I don't give a shit and eat that stuff with no regrets whatsoever.

Oh ok, that's cool. But it seems weird to encourage it though. And I still think that drinking diet soda is a fine alternative. I'm glad your lifestyle is working out for you as well. Although I fucking hate diabetes, I'm actually kind of glad to have a reason to leave these things out of my diet

I think that a person should either drop that stuff completely or just enjoy it to its full extent, that's just my way of thinking.
And good for you, stay healthy breh.

I'm skinny as hell (6'3" 160 lbs) and drink 3-4 20 oz. Diet cokes a day

The problem is that the science is divided, because the data is shit.

Diet soda may increase your desire for sugary foods, or it may not

Diet soda may increase your chance of getting cancer, or it may not

In truth, diet soda is a good idea if you can't stop drinking soda. However, the healthiest choice is simple water.

The only thing wrong about diet coke is the fact that you enjoy the taste of diet coke.

This.

Aspartame is one of the most studied food additives and has been shown countless times to be completely harmless.

i mix my milk with nesquik.

B-Bulking r-right guys.

what's the difference between diet coke and coke Zero?
desu I like the taste of coke zero better than regular coke but Diet tastes awful