Anybody here have IBS?

About six months ago I got a really fucking bad stomach infection and was in severe pain for three days. I got a bit better but then a few days later my stomach got crazy bloated. Now for six months I've pretty much been abnormally bloated and I pretty much constantly have a stomach ache, sometimes it's worse than others. I have a couple of more tests to do but doctor is pretty much writing it off as IBS which means I'm fucking screwed to a lifetime of chronic stomach ache. On the plus side I don't have the constipation or diarrhea part at least.

Apparently people with post-infectious IBS have a 50% likelihood of recovering within a few YEARS. The rest are doomed to a lifetime of a fucked up gut. Wondering if any of you also have or had this pleasant predicament. Any chance you recovered from it? What do?

Other urls found in this thread:

earthclinic.com/cures/ibs-irritable-bowel-syndrome.html
curbyourfodmaps.com/p/protein-shake.html
whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-FODMAP.pdf
everythinglowfodmap.com/low-fodmap-diet-updates/
curbyourfodmaps.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Crohn's colitis here, lived over half my life with it.

IBS is a shitty diagnosis, since it's mostly "hey, something's going on but we've got fuckall idea what's wrong".

Keep a food diary; some foods will exacerbate your symptoms, most won't. In my case it's alcohol, milk (but not lactaid, yay me), and highly-processed foods make me feel like garbage.

AMA

I got a cyst on my kidney and it has caused digestive problems since.

When I follow a lowfod map diet I'm fine. I'm actually working on a lowfod map website to share the stuff I make

I can't seem to pin it down to any foods. I tried lactose and gluten free, didn't really help. My stomach always feels a little off no matter what now, just sometimes it's worse than others. Constant bloating, it's so fucked up. I lost 10kg of gains in the last nine months! I've got like zero fucking appetite left, I'm so depressed about this. Sorry about your crohn's dude, hope you get better.

Does low fodmaps exclude protein shakes?

GOT it after a bad case of the flu and drugs. two things have helped me greatly. Apple cider vinegar and honey in luke warm water. Also try to eat foods with probiotic and no gluten

Is this shit gonna go man?

I really don't wanna live the rest of my life like this. It's fucking horrible. I used to be really strong and Veeky Forums now I just feel like complete shit all the time and have zero appetite. I'm always fucking bloated and in pain.

yes it does, however I have a lowfodmap recipe.

give me a min and I'l post it on my website/link it here

I always seem to get it when I'm dieting to lower bodyfats.

Runny shits constantly, and feeling like theres more shit wanting to come out even when I'm empty.

thanks

Had stomach bloating and constipation for past year, nothing really helped me, I believe my symptoms left after my stress left. So I recommend cutting out stress if any, here's other stuff I tried.

Fasting, only eat breakfast and dinner, this really helped with the bloating, only ate twice a day to avoid the post meal bloat and feeling shitty.

I tried eating only rice for a while, while not much of a change I found it easier to digest and left me feel less bloated.

I cut out lactose and peanut butter with again mixed results.

Bloat is generally from gas I think, so stay away from any food that ferments in your gut: beans, peanuts, milk etc... Start with rice or something and slowly reintroduce food to your diet. Also be careful with your breathing you might be swallowing too much air, breath through your nose not mouth.

Again I don't have much advice, my symptoms left with my stress, nothing else helped much (I can eat whatever I want now). But here's some advice, don't stress about it, DON"T STRESS ABOUT IT. If you get constipated from the stress you will wish you died before that day.

I have IBS or something.

I basically take two Imodium ADs every day with my breakfast shake. If I don't I guarantee I'll be shitting out liquid within 2 or 3 hours of drinking it. And then whatever else I eat for the day will also come out liquid. Sometimes its like... very soft chunks, like cereal left in milk for hours. other times its 100% liquid, sounds like i'm pissing.

Sometimes i can go a week or two with no diarrhea but then itll flair up. i dont risk it anymore, just buy a big bottle of generic anti-squirts pills and take two in the morning. seems to work out ok for me.

Try eating more fiber and less dairy. I have a friend with ulcerative colitis who went from flare ups every couple days to once or twice a month by managing his diet.

Almost completly cured now. Shits are great and regular. Only feel it sometimes, but it does not affect my day to day life

I don't get the constipation and diarrhea part, man. That's why I'm wondering why the gastro diagnosed me with IBS. I'm really hoping it's something else (that's fucking curable) but Idk. They've looked for so much shit, even had an endoscopy.

Thanks for your post, glad you got better. I'm not really stressed, I'm the same as I've always been really.

i realize it sounds like dairy is my problem (after rereading this post) but really, dairy is a guarantee but anything seems to be a toss up whether or not itll lead to the runs. Lettuce is for sure another thing i can guarantee will come out the way it went in... i will literally poop out soggy lettuce and itll float around in the toilet (or be melded into a frothy soft poo log, which is weird because why did all the ingredients except the lettuce turn into poo? how does my gut 'dodge' a particular item? strange)

Check into something called nutrition response testing and thank me later

How long did you have it and what were your symptoms? How severe? What exactly did you do to get rid of it? I'm going six months now and feel no different at all, despite trying no gluten and dairy for a while.

Check out earthclinic.com/cures/ibs-irritable-bowel-syndrome.html

Also check out dr. Natasha mcbride and her GAPS diet.

I have IBS, recently diagnosed and it fucked me up mentally, the first problem was feeling that i still had stool to pass, which made me anxious and nervous, would always be late for work, i have literally spend 20% of my paycheck this month on cab rides to work, i usually take the bus. My shits are always smooth and sticky and require a ton of wiping which again made me anxious, i would wipe 20 times clean, relax and sit a bit and would wipe again. This is what triggered my anxiety, the worst was blasting my ass with water (in the shower) after a shit, and wiping, it was dirty as if i hadn't wiped at all. I honestly almost had a nervous breakdown, the thought of having a shitty sweaty asshole and smelling of feces really fucked me up. My doctor prescribed me a ton of pills, including diazepam for muscle relaxation and anti anxiety and depression pills. This, and my doctors "lol u sissy fag ur gonna be just fine dont think about it" attitude really toned down my anxiety and i now feel much better now. Im doing meditation and stretching and will start jogging as this is what my doctor told me to do. I stopped lifting because of IBS but ill restart it as soon as i feel comfortable. I didn't have any pain though. Sorry for the blogpost just hoping someone with a similar experience can help me out, or i can help someone who is in the same boat. Hope you get better OP, i know it sucks because i honestly wished i had colon cancer because at least there is a chance to cure that.

Right here buddy

I started getting symptoms of IBS about 18 months ago: Chronic and unrelenting gas attacks and alternating bouts of intense diarrhea and constipation accompanied by chronic tenesmus and general stomach ache. I actually missed a lot of lectures last semester when the violent flatulence was at it's worst and it severely impacted my social life. At one point I was barely leaving my dorm out of anxiety. Shit was fucked up.

Now I'm pretty much IBS symptom-free, but it took some lifestyle changes and trial & error to get here. Here's what I found out:

For me, the gas problem (which was the worst of them all) was pretty much completely cured by eliminating gluten. This was definitely the biggest improvement for me. Following this, cutting out lactose eliminated most of the remaining bouts of diarrhea/constipation and also most of my heartburn. Also, thanks to these improvements my anxiety about my IBS was also significantly reduced. In addition, increasing my intake of soluble fibre and cutting out general processed shit (in particular, processed meats) and high-fat foods really helped as well. I'm close to being vegan nowadays actually, with the exception of eating chicken/turkey and fish & seafood. Try cutting out these foods and see how it goes.

tl;dr:
try removing the following things from your diet
>gluten
>lactose
>high-processed foods and in particular, high-processed meats
>high-fat foods (even vegan ones like peanut butter)
try increasing your intake of the following foods
>vegetables
>soluble fiber (gluten free oatmeal, potatoes, rice etc.)

I have never ever contemplated suicide until IBS, i know your pain my man, exactly the same.

Get doc to give you Hyocynamine. Shit worked wonders for my IBS and pain

so you're pretty much fine now? that's good to know. would you consider yourself "cured"(provided you stick to your diet)?

what about lifting and gains though? do you still lift and have protein shakes etc?

My pee dribbles off the tip of my dick for 5 minutes after i take a piss

What do i have

I kind of thought the same thing regarding cancer. At least with cancer you either die or get better. This is just a lifetime of feeling like shit, fuck that.

>At least with cancer you either die or get better. This is just a lifetime of feeling like shit, fuck that.

Exactly the same my man, i sometimes feel like crying knowing ill carry this curse forever. And its not the stomach problems or being on the toilet all the time, its feeling and being conscious of my anus, i feel it all the time, i can't explain it. I can't relax it even if i want to. I want to die. I know it sounds funny and you can joke about it but its hell for me.

Hopefully it'll pass man. We're both recent cases of post-infectious IBS so there is half a fucking chance at least that we'll recover. Fucking sucks that they haven't been able to fix this shit.

>We're both recent cases of post-infectious IBS so there is half a fucking chance at least that we'll recover. Fucking sucks that they haven't been able to fix this shit.

I know, we can put man on the moon and discuss our IBS on a magical unicorn jousting tournament field half way across the world through magical wires but nooooooo we don't know how to stop you from farting and feeling liek shit all the time. Stay strong user ill pray for both of us.

take care anonkun. never meant an online hug more than this one ever in my life ;_;

here you go

ignore how shitty the site is. dont have any pics yet

Try to reduce sugar, dairy, caffeine, and anything that tends to make you sick (fast food restaurants). I spent a lot of time looking for what was wrong, and it ended up being a lot of things. I thought diet soda was fine, but it really fucks up your brain more than anything. Its usually the whole deal.

thanks, good luck with the site bud

>take care anonkun. never meant an online hug more than this one ever in my life ;_;

t-thank you user, me neither hope you get cure and can live your life freely ;_;

Got diagnosed w/ IBS, GERD and chronic gastritis in 2015. All of that shit happened shortly after I had to take a shitload of antibiotics due to a tooth infection. Pretty much killed all of the good bacteria I had in my stomach and bowels and all the other nasty shit took over.

Even though it was fucking terrible in the beginning, I'm kinda happy now. I was a fat fuck back then and I couldn't really eat anymore. Pretty much everything gave me instant diarrhea, terrible pain, horrible farts and cramps. Meat, sugary foods, fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods, acidic foods, dairy, bread, alcohol. All I could eat was cooked vegetables.

Lost 66 lbs that way since Dec 2015 and exercising frequently helped me get rid of most of my symptoms. Apart from meat, acidic and fatty foods and alcohol I can eat properly again.

Colonoscopy and gastroscopy both came out okay, apart from GERD and gastritis.

Crohn's never gets better, it gets treatments.

Anyway, your doc should be ordering at least a gastroscopy to see what's going on.

I have IBS I avoid oats and muesli. Few t other things. I eat a lot of red meat which has really helped me it takes 72 hours to digest. So I eat good meat whenever I can. IBS has ruined my life, can't join the army or police or anything that might not have me able to go to the toilet at any time. I've come very close to sitting myself. Very very close. I tell doctors I have anyway that's how close I've been. Um. A lot of it was panic induced as I have social anxiety anyway. Anti depressants have got me free from panic attacks and constipated me for a while initially which was like a relief until I started pissing out my ass again. I just make it obvious and tell people I shit a lot casually, so when I do shit a lot Noone is surprised.

Nothing has helped tho, those potato only diets etc are bs as far as I'm concerned. Haven't tried that colese or whatever med it's called yet.

Yeah that's my 2c. I shit at the gym every time I squat (every 2nd day really) between sets lmao gotta keep lifting

try low fodmap diet

>Apart from meat, acidic and fatty foods and alcohol I can eat properly again.
Sounds horrible desu

interesting to see this thread here as i've just been googling loads of stuff and now worried i have IBS

basically I've had red hot, dense, pure sulfur farts for like a week now. out of nowhere too. nothing has changed in my diet since january. these farts are so frequent though and 1 tiny speck of fart that escapes is enough to fill the whole room with a rich, old eggy smell. i'm sat with the windows open and feeling really self conscious about it. normally i'm proud of a deadly fart but it's worn off over the last few days, it's embarrassing.

Lel. Having smelly farts does not mean you have ibs. But u knew that u troll

nah m8 these farts are disgusting and unrelenting for an entire week. it's not a case of eating a curry and busting fat guffs for a day or two. legit self conscious about these ones

I have both IBS and UC. It's pretty horrible desu. But to contrarrest the effects of IBS I take a teaspoon of Psyllium, and a pill that contains Bromazepam and Trimebutine

btw m8 i've done 4 farts since your post with enough volume to fill a carrier bag, stomach is still making noises, arsehole is rumbling like a kettle that's just boiled. it's been like this for a week. windows wide open turning my room into a moth sanctuary

Pls respond

do kagels

lol you're just a britbong that ate some indian food recently

shut up fag. if you dont have any stomach pain/bloating/discomfort chronically then it aint ibs.

>if you dont have any stomach pain/bloating/discomfort chronically then it aint ibs.
it has to start somewhere though right, also my mum has it but i dunno if it runs in families (or just in ur underpants lol)

you think im trolling but i'm honestly not. will be seeing the doccy soon if this persists

>on toilet now

good luck. hope it went swimmingly.

my friend is just like you. he ate chipotle every freaking day
now he's pretty much close to killing himself

>chipotle
what a way to go, I suspect half old people who off themselves do it cuz they can:t shit normally anymore.

Stay strong everyone, and don:t give up hope.

yo mate just to keep you up to date i drank a beer and they guffs have stopped. will let you know if they return tomorrow

This thread gave me lots of feels. Really glad I'm not the only one on Veeky Forums struggling with ibs.

Was diagnosed as a catch All. It's basically a diagnosis of "we dunno tf is wrong with you, so good luck nigger"

Was in and out of a hospital for tests and surgeries for two years, lost 80 lbs and was basically starving to death. Lowest weight I hit was 103 lbs, and I'm 6'2". Learned to deal with it, and make the best of the little I've got. Some foods make it worse, some make it better, but it's mostly tied to my depression and anxiety. The catch is the pills that treat depression/anxiety also make me more constipated and bloated.

Fucking blows. Hang in there anons.

dont take pills dude.

you need an anti inflammatory diet

try the whole 30 lowfodmap

whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-FODMAP.pdf

I posted my website earlier itt that should help you too.

yo dude it's me again. went to eat some of that chickpea pâté that's in my fridge. took the lid off it and noticed the aroma was the exact same as the subtle undertones from my recent red hot guffs. think i've found the cause of those scorched holes in my underwear

leave me alone pls

>Lowest weight I hit was 103 lbs, and I'm 6'2"
shit nigga. how did you even breathe? or walk around in the wind?

just keeping u in the loop man relax lol

I know the feels. Ulcerative colitis here for 5 years now and going through a shitty flare up at the moment. Blood and mucus, constant bloating, pain and some flatulence. So delightful. Also no gym for a month now because it's just too hard with all this. Tried to go for walks but that ended up with a emergency poo in the bushes :C
Worst foods here are sugar, dairy and alcohol also anything with too much fibre just hurts so damn much to pass during a flare. Been living off rice, meat and smooth smoothies lately.

>Ulcerative colitis here for 5 years
does that shit go away?

Is it serious? Like isn't it really fucked up that you're pooping blood?

I'm sorry man...

Never goes away (well does if they decide to cut out your colon, but not otherwise) But I have meds that keep me mostly in remission, then there are these flare ups now and again that usually need some form of corticosteroids to clear out, for me atleast.
The blood comes from many tiny kind of like wounds on the wall of the colon if I understood right.

goddammit. fuck everything. well i really hope you get better man.

am I allowed to eat rice on lowfodmaps?

what carbs am I able to eat on this apart from potatoes?

Thanks! I'll just need to get a doctor who knows something about this as the doctors in my work health care don't know shit and want to just give me sick leave. Last time I needed to ask myself for the meds that usually work on a mild flare from the doctor and well those didn't work. Now they are referring me forward but it takes a while to get an appointment, so I'll just suffer through!

>Pretty much killed all of the good bacteria I had in my stomach and bowels
That's normal for antibiotics, you were supposed to take probiotics and fecal bacteria to fix that. I heard some stories about murrican doctors and pharmacy avoiding them tho because treating IBS for the rest of patient's life is more profitable but it sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

IBS is borderline meme-tier. Get a feel for triggers and eat right and you'll be fine.

t. lifelong patient

Father has it from being a huge fatass after he stopped lifting.
It can be pretty severe, he has actually shit himself because of it and when I lived there I could hear him on the other side of the house using the bathroom, just insanely obnoxious gas and tacobell like shits none stop.
Medication, weightloss, better diet help quite a bit (since they all reduce irritation and inflammation).
It never goes away, he hasn't shit his pants in years if that gives you an idea of what the positive side of treatment is.

on whole 30 they're not allowed but they're allowed on the standard lowfodmap diet yes

everythinglowfodmap.com/low-fodmap-diet-updates/

>IBS, GERD and chronic gastritis

That's my diagnosis too. We're all gonna make it.

t. guy lying in bed feeling the acid refluxing

Public toilets are horrible because of the noise and the smell. So so embarrassing and usually unavoidable if you don't want to shit yourself.

Can anyone here point me to a weight lifting low fodmaps diet? Like a good meal routine for low fodmaps weight training? Thanks

Can you have protein shakes with low fodmaps?

do protein shakes contain lactose btw?

I used to have IBS and gastritis. I just stopped consuming milk, cream, coffee, chocolate, and Indian food. Now I feel great.

I'm halfway convinced that IBS is a meme diagnosis that doctors use because they can't be arsed taking an in depth look into a patient's diet and possible reactions to what they consume.

>I'm not lactose intolerant btw.

>lactose
if you use cow milk yes, maybe not if you use almond/soy etc.

I put the protein shake in water. so thats fine then? protein shakes are fine with low fodmaps?

Here's my diet

curbyourfodmaps.com/

op i have IBS

things i found that help with it is, cut out onions, dairy, and wheat and super processed foods.

i also take a probiotic shit expensive pill before eating meals called Bueno, helps cut bloating and gas feeling.

also take a fibre supplement and helps get rid of the rot gut i get.

found when i was cutting and doing keto it helps cause most of the food i was preparing myself and it was clean for the most part.

how long have you had it? what are your symptoms like now? do you feel 'cured'? do your symptoms come right back if you switch to a normal diet? thanks

probably since i was 15/16 about 10 years now.

i dont feel cured but i defintely feel better since switching to that stuff about 3 months ago. the Beano pill i take definitely cuts the gas and bloating down, before it was all day i could fart for hours, now i get the regular amount of feeling and just in the morning I am super gas until my morning shit.

doing this it seems to regulate so I usually only shit in the morning and gets rid of the feeling that im going to shit myself through out the day and settles my guts so that if i have to I'll go again at night. I hate public washrooms and not showering when I poop so it works well for me.

I know stress plays a huge factor and im stressed to my max so right now i feel lousy and my diet has been complete shit filled with soda and fast food. I feel 100x better when I eat a clean meal.

dont think ill ever feel cured but its manageable and I can eat most things as long as they're not heavily spiced with gaseous foods like onions and garlic and such. clean diet definitely solves a lot and managing stress. but i found fibre supplements helps to regulate and diet helped to be consistent

also proper sleep/ if i dont sleep a lot or well my guts are rolling all day

Did you have a colonoscopy? I'm having one in two days and I'm nevervous

Also does anyone else have joint pain muscle pain and fatigue?

Fatigue is quite common for me with ulcerative colitis atleast. And had joint pain also, but that might have been related with my hypothyroidism. It's not unheard of though to have joint inflammation with colitis though. Don't know about other things.

What comes to colonoscopies, for me it was horrible and hurt like hell every time (I've had 4 so far), but my brother had one and he didn't feel much. I've heard it's often worst for skinny women and fat men, but don't know about that.

Ah shit sell thanks anyway man. I went to a specialist in Georgia the other day to treat my mysterious illness. I hope it helps. I hope we all get better soon guys.

>so you're pretty much fine now?
I might have the very occasional day where I'm a bit gassier than usual or some days my poop isn't a perfect, smooth sausage with a following ghost wipe, but when you've had proper IBS symptoms for a while whatever minor issues I still may occasionally be subject to is totally managable and fine by comparison. Provided I stick to my diet, my quality of life is just as good as before my IBS symptoms started to appear.

>what about lifting and gains though?
No problems at all with either. In fact, a lot the foods I mentioned that you might want to cut out are also incidentally ingredients in a lot of calorie dense junk foods, so I'm actually eating healthier now and so my gains has been better lately.

>do you still lift
of course, and my lifts have gone up while my bodyfat has dropped. I'm closing in on 10% bodyfat and I'm very close to doing 100 lbs weighted dips to give you an idea where I'm at.

>have protein shakes etc?
never had them so this isn't really applicable to me, but remember how I said "stay away from processed shit" ? I think this applies to protein shakes as well. For me at least, the protein shakes made out of casein or whey or whatever that contains lactose is immediately a no-no, but I probably would go for the vegan ones either just because, again, it's processed and it's very harsh on my digestive system. Btw protein powders aren't necessary for gains, they might just make things a bit more convenient.

Meant to say "I probably *wouldn't* go for the vegan protein powders either."

I cut:
>milk
>anything carbonated (especially energy drinks)
>anything spicy (especially red chili or anything with chili extract, started making me break out in hives head to toe)

I try to mostly stick to fruits, vegetables and meat.
Now I'm more or less on an even keel.

sort of, doctor was more of like >no idea but ibs my friend
bloated all the time
cut out wheat
found out its dairy as well causing it
rip

i had a stomach problem too , bloated and constipation and hemorroids all the time , when i started eating oatmeal in the morning , all went better.
no more bloating , no more heavy stomach , no more pain shitting.

why dont you install a bidet in your toilet , its a water hose you can spray after shitting .
old custum BUT is it very effective.

what he said. with fibre supplements i usually am regular enough to go in the morning and i just wait to have my morning shower. i too have a phobia of having a sweaty ass and shit smell.

wait ...BROCOLLI is BAD ???
every muscle book i read they are pushing brocolli in my troath . WTF .

am i eating the wrong stuff or what ?

broccoli is hard on the digestion for people with sensitive stomachs

My father had it and got a surgery. He has no large intestines now but manages to live a normal life.

Soy lecitihn helped me when my intesties jsut stopped working