Martial Arts General
/mag/
Find an MMA Gym in the USA: findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

LIST OF COMBAT PROVEN, EFFECTIVE STYLES:

•Boxing
•BJJ
•Muay Thai
•Kyokushin Karate
•Kickboxing
•Greco-Roman Wrestling
•Catch Wrestling
•Sanda/Sanshou
•Sambo/Combat Sambo
•Judo
•MMA (cheaper and easier than studying the above individually)

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:

•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:

•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>FAQ (in development), MUST READ:
pastebin.com/LXHvWCZY

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
youtube.com/user/FightTipsVideos
youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
youtube.com/user/theKravMagaTraining
More to come

>BOOKS ON FIGHTING
coming soon

Previous thread:
>>>/38464771/

Other urls found in this thread:

su.nottingham.ac.uk/sports/sport/mixedmartialarts/
youtube.com/watch?v=FDnYNroUmNs
youtube.com/watch?v=rKW5lR8yG4s
youtube.com/watch?v=BBwnoxFv7co
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Let's try using a cool picture next time. Maybe something with anime in it.

su.nottingham.ac.uk/sports/sport/mixedmartialarts/

Looks good?

How about this ?

Weight divisions are weird in japan. Its height + weight. A skellington lanklet like me end up fighting dudes with a 20kg+ weight advantage

Combat sambo is mma

Das good mane

Only weight leads to strange shit too though.
In one of the Taekwondo finales during the olympics there was a 1.85m chinese guy weighing 58kg. Was a weird fight.

Add other styles of wrestling to the list. Greco is fairly restrictive and I've yet to meet anyone in the US who practices it exclusively without practicing folk or freestyle.
Fuck off, this is fitness.

Japan hates losing.
What is cutting? When were they weighted? 2 days before or same day

Or better yet, remove the entire concept of approved list.

- We get rid of the traditional MA practicers who start discussions just to get their meme included in there.
- The op shortens, making it more compact and straight to the point.

you have a literal board just for this, you fuck off
pokemon threads don't belong on /v/ because they're games, they belong on /vp/ because they have a board just for that specific reason

Hiromoot kiiled asp when he made it the rasslefag board. You got beef take it to /q/

This is a good idea.

Martial arts anime is best anime

Damian Maia is probably one of these best grapplers of our era and regardless of what your style is you should watch and emulate him, he's been able to syergize wrestling, BJJ and judo in a rule set that involves striking and has implemented his craft.

Over the last 4 fights he's only been punched 14 times

Is BJJ some kind of Blowjob Judô?
If só, i'm in

What do you guys think of capoeira? No studio or gym teaching in my area so currently self-teaching myself with youtube videos and research. It's not that progressive but hey its better than nothing.

the art is neat for what it is
self teaching yourself all your doing is teaching yourself how to dance and some tricks, which isn't bad just dont expect to be an ass beater

>tfw everything in town is bullshidos/meme-tier martial arts

What do?

I'm thinking of learning FMA cuz im currently living in the philippines, thing is they only accept students who are worthy of teaching. What should i expect if i get accepted? FMA sounds intense.

AND THIS FUCKER

It's cool if you want to learn flippy shit. Thats about it.

first for demian maia proving bjj + wrestling is goat

Go to the local ymca/pcyc/college/uni and do boxing or judo

I think there's a guy who does a boxing class at my school, I'll look into that maybe.

Getting yelled at in a filipino accent
Maybe getting stabbed "by accident"

I'm 42, 200 lbs, 6', very little experience. Pointers on where to start? I want to start training relatively hard on the regular, but I'm worried about injuries. Pointers? Share your experience?

What does Veeky Forums think of Akido? I got recommended it by a family friend who does marital arts. I had surgery relatively recently (fully recovered) but don't want to do anything stupid. He said to try akido, easier on the joints.

ya demian looks unstoppable right now with his grappling

Sounds neat.

Will update so long as im not dead or seriously wounded

BJJ Scout predicted the maia v condit fight exactly

Looks deadly

Is it worth it taking yearly trips to countries to do some martial arts training? I.e.: muay thai in Bangkok or if I had a host, Sambo in Russia?
If its worthwhile, any other recommended countries?

I have defeated countless opponents using Aikido, and they always ask me, Why are you so strong?

I answer, I'm not strong, you are.

Aikido uses the strength of the attacker back at them but 10 times stronger(estimate). Using Aikido and I can probably kill a charging Rhino using it's force right back at it, of course, I'm not going to try it, way to dangerous for any sane person.

I recommend practicing Aikido for every Veeky Forumsizen, as you are all physically weak, and Aikido is specialized for the weak to defend against the strong.

youtube.com/watch?v=FDnYNroUmNs

A 50 year old man with cerebral palsy doing Aikido, very touching.

forgot the link
youtube.com/watch?v=rKW5lR8yG4s

>a family friend who does marital arts
>does marital arts
>marital

So, does he want you to ntr him?

>be me 20 yr univfa
>do bjj at univ and its the only thing I enjoy in life
>home for summer and the brit cousin are visiting
>wrestle my older brother and tap him a few times
>show him and my cousins the standing kimura
>wrestle my larger cousin and he grabs the kimura.
>manage to keep my arm in front of me but land with him in my guard
>thought my arm was safe but he keeps cranking on it and then theres a pop
>son of a fucking nigger my shoulder came out (i have dislocated it once before but i got drugged up by a doc to get it put back)
>so i tap and go inside
>my whole extended family is there staring at me
>explain that my shoulder is fucked and proceed to crank it back in like they do in the movies
>it snaps in. great all good my shoulder can move around normally.
>my mom and overly protective aunt tell me to stop do bjj at Univ
>bjj is literally the only thing i enjoy. I would probably neck my self if i had to stop

>

You're 20 years old. They're just going to have to put up with it.

It's the memeist of memes

I am constantly reminded of why I started BJJ when I watch him fight. It's a shame that wrestling season is almost upon us, because I won't have any time to train for anything but that.

keep doing it and see if ur uni has wrestling too, take it and become demian maia

demian trained also with the olympic brazilian wrestling team , so just combine it with your bjj and become uber grappler

Who you guys got for overeem vs miocic?

Easily one of my favourite combinations ever

well maybe i can use it as a party trick

they do it on the same nights ats BJJ, so ill stick with my subs

Cowboy just called out Lawler, its stuff like this that keeps me from killing myself

Just do krav maga

Has anyone actually tried that Lifting for MMA routine? BJJ blue belt here been rolling for about 2 years.

Man that's some horrible shit to laugh at

damn forgot competition pic

>they do it on the same nights ats BJJ, so ill stick with my subs

is there a way to sub in wrestling 1-2 days a week? or reverse during the season?

wrestling is a great supplement to bjj.

it's easy on your joints because its a complete joke and will require zero physical effort (hint, because it doesn't work)

i could only go one other night but i breddy bizy with sku and pumping iron. does wrestling often give you bad reflexes for bjj? (giving your back and such?)

not if you train both desu

Honest question here: how many of you have been in a street fight? A real one, as in drunk thug slaps your gf's ass and stuff.

How it went?

Been in a lot of fights thanks to the old crazy eyes and attitude

They all went about the same, win or lose. I was hurting the next day and it didn't feel alpha, even if the fight was justified Nearly killed some guy when his head hit the footpath and cracked his skull. Now I just don't go to pubs/bars anymore

pretty sure this is a troll post, but I'll answer anyway. Aikido is an ineffective art by itself, it's much too limited. its best use is as a supplement to a superior art like jujutsu. otherwise, don't even bother.

I personally think O-sensei should've dropped martial arts entirely and focused on the spiritual/meditation aspect.

btw, I appreciate the list of recommended styles. I was asking about that on /asp/ and they were not very helpful.

Of course not, your question wasn't WWE related at all

lol, I've noticed that WWEfags have completely taken over that board.

So BJJ can actually do something even when your opponent is allowed to punch you?

I watched a lot of Gracie and it always looks like the positions they chill in would be deadly if the enemy was to punch them.

It's horrible. I don't get the appeal of it either.
I guess one has to be American to understand.

I'll admit, I watched it when I was young, but as I got older it lost its appeal. it's an adolescent form of entertainment.

I wouldn't mind people discussing it, but it's like 90% of the threads there.

This is my new favourite gif.

if only problems could be solved that easily.

they used to actually discuss alternative sports on there. as it is, they might as well rename it /wwe/

With Maia and the MMA context yes.

I am going to use the following analysis as a reference point

youtube.com/watch?v=BBwnoxFv7co

Now starting at the 3 min mark, part of Maia's game plan is limiting his opponent's options so they are force to react in a certain way, because of this Maia has a relatively simple move set, but he has insane good timing and "feeling" knowing when and where his opponent's will react.

So going back to the video Maia will use both hands and grip/tie up one of his opponent's hands as they sit in his half guard, an obvious reaction is they try to punch him in the face to free their arm. Maia uses the motion of them raising their arm to punch him, as the whistle to start his offensive chain, here using it as a half guard sweep, to either stand back up or take their back and choke them

3:00 to 3:31

Not to take away from the Gracies or oversell Maia, but his itheration of BJJ/grappling is what grapplers should strive for, when it comes to self defense, using ground and pound to supplement their grapples, and being able to minimize damage from getting punched while launching your craft's offensive set

I coach wrestling at the highschool level, and even though Maia's single leg is sloppy on a pure wrestling technique level, because he uses the cage, because he synergizes it with his BJJ (half guard)

What he's doing isn't very complicated but he's doing it absolutely flawlessly and it's perfectly tailored for MMA and a lot of the moves are even more applicable for self defense application

>would probably neck myself
Like suck your own dick?

I've been in 6. and I'm a 5'6 manlet. I initiated maybe 2 because alcohol. but in my defense, skinny assholes tend to single me out for being short and I can only be the "bigger" man for so long until my embarrassment gets the best of me and I drop them on their heads. it's not even like they call me on being short so maybe I'm just paranoid that that's why. typically it happened because I do decent talking to girls in public and drunk guys seem to have no problem trying to tough guy me and my guess was because of my height they feel more confident.

in 2 of the 6 fights I didn't even get hit. I dropped the guys, one I punched, the other I slammed. both were knocked out. regrettably the guy I punched I didn't let up on and just teed off on him another dozen times because of blind rage. again in my defense I tried backing out of the fight, he got cocky and slapped me in front of a bunch of people. in the moment I felt untouchable standing over him just screaming while he laid unconscious and bleeding. happened the Friday Easter too and the campus was clearing out to visit families.

in the one where I slammed the guy, I punched him and he went down and when he stood up he was wobbling and had his arm cocked back with a fist. so I just ducked that inevitable punch and came up from underneath him gripped up his shirt and shoulders and slammed him in the sidewalk.

I don't think I lost a fight. closest was this fat fuck. probably close to 300lbs, 5'11. he beat the shit out of the crown of my head, I naturally keep my chin tucked and I haven't been knocked out yet so there's that. anyway I knew I wasn't doing any damage as close as I was, basically had him gripped up like a hockey fight, so I just took him down and started swinging off on him. but then it got broken up and two guys pulled me off. so technically I guess I lost but only because it got broken up.

that's really it. haven't fought in years. don't like it, and I don't advocate it.

if you find yourself in a street altercation though my tips would be to

>keep yourself at a distance to where you can't get sucker punched
>don't get outnumbered ever, just leave
>take the fight to the ground, it has the best chance of being broken up and minimal injury

That's actually a pretty scary webm.
Any context?

>Books on Fighting
Pic related is a must read

If you want a contact sport, go for bjj, you'll practice longer. I have never see a more than 50 y.o. in muay thai last more than 6 months. In bjj you can add technique to balance your age.
Pic very related.

I've been stalling with strenght gains since i started doing MMA. Our gym doesn't have weights so all the phisycal prep is just circuits, when i go to the other gym with weights on odd days i find myself too tired from circuits to do strenght programs that require you to be well rested.
What can i do?

Do it anyway. You're at uni, so you're an adult.
Grow a pair of balls and use your brain for fuck sake.
For bjj you need no more than this:
Hiit once a week
Liss once a week
Pull-up, bridges, ab work, push-up.
deandlift, squats (at a 5-3-1)
Yoga for flexibility.
This is what bjj is know for.

Brazil for BJJ, Japan for Judo.

Yes it is for the fun, but do it only if you speak the language or have somewhere to fall back, i.e. an academy you've been recommanded to by your current instructor/school.
People in japan or brazil don't usually speak english, or another language.

>tldr train muay thai or bjj?
Tested 1 session of both last week but can't decide which to stick with. The academy is built around bjj, but their MT offer is pretty good. I can't afford to pay for both as that would require me to pay for a full out yoga, bjj, mt++ premium sub shit and i'm a filthy poor student. Both bjj and MT have 2 beginner trainings a week, but they're at the same time so picking both also leads to only 1 session a week of the specific art

Guys, i went to a martial arts gym and they told me that i can chose between:

-Muay thai
-Boxing
-MMA ( are they trolling?)
-BJJ

Which should i chose to start with martial arts?

Wich will be funnier? i dont like grappling, i just want to learn how to use my fists and legs.

Is Muay thai similar to kick boxing?

Boxing.

You can play around with the others but a base of boxing will make you invincible in most real world confrontations.

Do Boxing and BJJ

I know, I thought I'd be overwhelmed at first but you get adjusted quickly.

Isnt BJJ about grappling all the time and rolling on the floor trying to lock the other?

How can we defeat Demian Maia?

Yes? And boxing is about only punching all the time and never learning how to deal with someone to tries to grapple and lock your shit.

If you want to be a well rounded fighter you should do a little of everything

I'm thinking about doing aikido. ANyone has greentext or opinions to share?

Jesus Christ did the poor lad die?

Do it if you're a 90 year old lady with hip problems. Otherwise go learn a real MA.

Did San Shou for 11 years and Chin Woo for 12 years.
Coach gave us fuck all contact experience so I know how to hit a pad over and over with power and accuracy.

The actual though of hitting a person's face is daunting. I feel like I wouldn't be able to actually knock them out...even though I've nearly broken people's hands through focus pads.

Anyway, going to start MMA and No-Gi BJJ soon just as something to add on to my bodybuilding.
Might actually show me that when I hit someone they do get hurt.

You can only train either BJJ or MT twice a week? That sucks

It's been done to death and the memes are all true.

>"""""sensei""""" showing technique
>"you take my arm... not the other one... yes and turn it and throw me"
>I take his hand and twist it a little, he does a roll backward
>calls it a """throw"""
>"you know falling quickly is important or you'll hurt yourself"
>rolls even before I apply any pressure
>if I hadn't let go of him during his roll I would've seriously hurt him
>despite emphasizing how important falling is they don't actually teach or drill it
>no one teaching you how to tap either
>just throw yourself to the ground and all is good

Aikido doesn't have any sort of quality control and if it did it would be Judo. It's a dead martial art.

I'm most impressed by the ref who already realized what's happening when the guy was still on his way down. Compared to some other reffing I've seen in low level bouts he seems like a good guy.

b-but NotAllAikido is this shit

t. aikidofag considering switching to BJJ but afraid he might be not good enough

Yeah I was asking because I did judo when I was a kid and enjoyed it and there is only a aikido thing near me. It's aikido or boxing. The problem with boxing is that I need to wear glasses and not using glasses for like one hour or so make my head hurt like hell. But I guess I can manage it.

Nigga, I'm wearing glasses and do boxing as well. Buy one of those rubber thing that keeps the glasses on your head like pic related.
You won't spar that often anyway and if you do take the glasses off.

>You won't spar that often
I won't? Oh, so that i snot a problem. Boxing classes came up free with the gym membership so I'll try them out.

Go for Judo. Or preferably JJ if there are people actually practicing anything that ain't BJJ. JJ blackbelt myself, a lot of the "faults" in aikido are fixed in JJ.

>I won't?

No, most of the time you'll be running, shadow boxing, rope jumping, working on your technique and maybe 5% of your training you'll be sparring

>Do it anyway. You're at uni, so you're an adult.
>Grow a pair of balls and use your brain for fuck sake.

But my mom paid for my uni and living cost, if she finds out I will be fucked