/run/ - Running General

Old one kill

Pastebin: pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m
Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qNab5gYAf4s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Would it be a bad idea to wear a short sleeve compression shirt under a long sleeve one during fall?

I don't see why not.

I usually do the opposite though. Long sleeve under short sleeve. Ran at -8C on that with no problem

Be careful of material, some will rub your nips raw

What do you guys think of Karrimor running gear? I recently purchased some of their shorts with the built in compression layer, ran 10k and no chafing whatsoever unlike with my usual Adidas, as the netting rides up your legs.
Would it be safe to buy more stuff from their range? It's cheap as shit but I worry it will be more worthwhile just buying more expensive gear in the long run.
What brands do you guys use?

Still awaiting tits and ass from marathon training girl.

Sure if it's cheap try it out and see how it works/how long it lasts. If it's shit, at least you're not out that much.

XC practice in 50 minutes CX

Reminder that a running shoe is only built for 300 miles

I guess I need new shoes then

>200 lbs
>doesn't run at all

how did you get into the army at all? don't they have timed 1.5 mile requirements?

Not marathon training girl, but here, have a snapshot of my marathon training.

I really love slow, build-type runs where I can slowly increase my pace over several miles, it's so relaxing and enjoyable not to have to constantly be under pressure and to feel like I'm dying.

I hate sprinting and all fast pace runs, but I need to get down to a 10 minute-ish 1.5 mile by October 6th, currently at about 11.30.

My pace when I do steady 3/4 mile distance runs is only about 15 seconds per mile slower than my fastest pace when doing a 1.5 mile sprint, what is life.

Also there's some Russians next door playing the most stereotypical Russian techno music ever, and it fucking sucks.

Good on you keep up the good work
>tfw you ran a 6 min mile after bench for shits and giggles

I'm the opposite, short to middle distance runs feel great for me. long distance chafe is horrible, and it's just gruelling pain for long periods of time, while short distance just gives you that energetic high afterwards and doesn't have me endlessly worrying about pacing and whether what feels relaxing now won't end in agonising pain and a strong desire to kill myself for the last mile or so

Congrats and good job on that run.

I'm still waiting for her to post blistered feet.

I'm not a big runner, but I'm trying to improve my time a bit. If I have pronation and mostly flat feet and get an insert, is it normal to get more shin pain than usual? I know things need a breaking in period, but I'm wondering at what point it's just a wrong fit.

Is there any shoe brand you'd recommend? My friend who is a huge long distance runner has been wearing Altras almost exclusively for years now and I was thinking of maybe trying them out.

welcome to the hell world of shin splints. they can be hell for newer runners. when i first started, i naively pushed myself harder and harder, til i just had to stop. stopped running for 2 weeks, shin splints went away pretty much entirely. push yourself to keep running for a week or so with shin splints, and then rest for a week or two.

honestly, shoe brand doesnt matter too much. just get a comfy shoe that absorbs shock and fits comfortably. you dont gotta drop 400 on a pair of shoes, but avoid getting cheap trash.

I know what shin splits are and have had them before. I'm not new to running, I've just never been good or fast. I want to know, since my current shoes (though old and technically needing to be replaced) don't give them to me much, are these inserts just completely wrong, or could they be correcting form and I just have to get used to it.

My minimum for Basic is 13:36 which I can't even run yet

Is running a good way to lose weight (assuming I have a good diet)? Or is there a better exercise-related method?

how to improve your 100m speed?

I did a 20 miler last Saturday and didn't feel too rough so I'm pretty confident for my first marathon in October - Although my speed was pretty bad, 9:45 a mile.

Whole family is giving me shit about wanting to do ultra's after it but I love long distance running so will probably train for the lakeland 100 next year.

By sprinting 400

Hill sprints.

Are you getting foot numbness/pins and needles like feeling in your lower legs whilst running?

Its more of a way to get lean and stay lean
Running while overweight isnt advisable imo

what is a good jogging pace for a total beginner?
I jogged 2.20km this morning at a 6:37/km pace.

Whatever you feel like
Be yourself

Worry about completing the distance and getting your miles per week up as a begineer
Running hard for speed will just btfo your legs

not this guy but I do
I'm trying my best to strike fore/mid foot
also need to get new shoes

Depends on your height, age, weight, gendet, body fat etc

hey future AF bro. dont worry about it right now. youll be able to do a 13:36 for BMT graduation

t. me fat slob at the time and not running ever then going to basic and pounding out a 12:00

Any good youtube channels? Already know vo2maxproductions.

I'm the guy you replied to, mine is 9:20.

Why did I have to choose PARA's :'(

>got my interview in two weeks
>got to get sub 10:30

fuck my life desu

DC Rainmaker does very good reviews of GPS watches/other tech, if you're into that.

compulsory

Is the Mizuno Wave 8 a good shoe?

I've been running in ZX8000 for the last 10 years or so. I've bought a stash of them over the years but I'm running out of them and they're becoming harder and more expensive to find online.

Is there anything on the market today that I should try out? I've tried a few different pairs of nikes, new balance and ascics over the years but they're not as comfortable to run in as my ZX8000s

Numbness yes, I don't think it starts with the pins and needles though. They just...thud into numbness. It sucks but honestly when it happens that's how I know I'm going at a decent pace. I'm aware I'm a heel striker too, btw, if that's why you're asking.

How do I know which running shoe to get? There are so many from asics alone

newfag question should I run every day or every other day? I've seen workout plans that recommend every other day. But would like to hear some other opinions

This chick does this Gross Science show for NOVA, I follow NOVA on normiebook...anyhow, this just came across my feed. lel. What do you guys think?

youtu.be/qNab5gYAf4s

Go to a local running store, try shit on, run around the store/around the block, have them analyze your gait.

Day 335 in the books. 313 miles in August thus far...

Just signed up for first marathon in 6 weeks. I'm a little scared.

If you're brand new to running stick with every other day for a few weeks. It gives your tendons/ligaments/etc time to adapt to running and strengthen.

Doesn't affect me except for once when I was out of shape and doing a 10k. Made it to the toilet thank god

IMO their shoes wear out really quick, the gear is usually comfy but also suffers from quick stress and tearing. It's Sports Direct, so you get what you pay for, user. Cheap and cheerful.

I've been running for a few weeks now, used to be able to run two miles but I took a week off and can only run 1.5. Should I run everyday?

I ran at boot camp, by "never run" I meant "never as a hobby".

I'm in the Navy, senpai. My 1.5 mile was 11:45 when I ran it last thursday, which is 1:45 faster than the bare minimum.

How many miles should a noobie new to running be looking to run a week?

This is in addition to a calorie deficit + lifting

Trail running shoes can last for over 1000

Don't go by mileage. Go by minutes. Run 20 mins a day, 5 days a week for a month.

Have a running store look at your foot and gait, they will put you in the correct shoe.

Start off 2 days on 1 day off

I run 70-80 miles a week, 7 days a week but don't incorporate any strength or core training.

I can't really do an elaborate workout on top of the 10 hours a week I run. I'm not interested in taking rest days either.

What should I do as a starting point?

startbodyweight.com basic routine 3 times a week. If you run in the morning, do it in the afternoon. If you run in the afternoon, do it in the morning.

i also run between 70 and 80 miles per week and i used to have this complex core routine, but since increasing my mileage ive simplified it to: ~80 pushups, 200 situps, and 2 minute side planks on each side after every run (excluding long runs)

>313 miles in August thus far.
Why are you scared? That averages and rounds up to 11 miles a day. You have cumulative fatigue on your side and the adaptations will be phenomenal when you finish your taper. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a BQ without even trying.

This, but add plyometrics and hill sprints.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident in my base. I'm just pretty inexperienced in most races. I have never raced further than 5 miles. My long runs are around 20.5 miles lately though.

I'd probably be more nervous if it was a 5k, really.

I've tried running but right after I get a pain in my calves that won't go away and gets triggered at odd angles or when I'm lying or sitting down. Tried foam rolling. This happened on two attempts, weeks apart, of trying to get into the running habit. And I wasn't even exerting myself, just a moderate 10 min jog. I don't heel strike, I used to do cross country in hs, I'm a twig but I can't run anymore. Should I even bother? I get my cardio with an elliptical machine. I don't know if it's worth the injury and discomfort.

Maybe try making an extra effort to stretch out your calves prior to running next time. (Dynamic stretches of course)

It's not a "rest days are for the weak" thing, it's a rest days are so you can recover to be stronger the next time, overtraining gets you nowhere. unless by strength you mean bodyweight exercises, then go ahead do them everyday, but please don't call it strength training. it's cardio.

I was not referring to running as strength training. I am not overtraining while running during this streak.

I just need to incorporate something for my upper body and core, without reducing my running load.

I am a retard and peeled skin of a blister that drained it self. Had to put new skin on it, fucking burns like Hell

So like a retard I bought 4mm drop shoes without researching about low drop shoes and fucked my knees. But I got some athletic shoe inserts and was wondering if using these inserts would help me out at all?
Also I've been running with proper form and taking things slow because now I kinda need to get used to these shoes since they're all I have.

The greatest shoe I have ever worn was a saucony

2 questions:

1st; I'm doing c25k, is it a good program? what i want to know are if it has any major flaws

2nd; Glucosamine, i've decided to get some for joints and cartilage, do any other runners use this? is it highly recomended?

Have you considered wearing a stability shoe? If neutral running shoes give you shin splints, you may need a shoe with more structure.

bump

Is 30 minutes of the bike close to the treadmill? I ask because the treadmills don't have platforms for phones/tablets and I find it effective to cardio while watching something.

C25k is a heavy recommended program that many will vouch for. It's gotten millions onto running.

If you got proper form, a good pair of shoes that fit your running style, and don't over do it, then you will never worry about it. The "running ruins your knees" is a popular myth thrown out by lifters who are afraid of doing cardio.

Hello /run/, I'm doing SL. Would it hurt to do 30 minute cardio before or after?

Before: Warm up muscles, increase flexibility, get the heart rate up

After: ???

god i love hill sprints

no endurance, no pains from long term running, no blisters, just fanging it until you see god

How do I prevent ankle joint pains?

After. If you just want to warm up, 30mins is too much. Do dynamics stretches before if you want.

Don't run unless you are a lanklet and want to loose some height

Was 6'2 before I started running 2 years on I measured in at 5'11 fml

ultrasens nip fag here, I literally have to tape my nipples before I go running
is there some sort of material that will obviate this need?

i love the wave series, so nice on my knees

I don't run at all, but it's funny reading all the hate against barefoot running being dangerous, yet literally every second post is about blisters, shin splints and joint pain. Makes you wonder...

Check your form.
Buy better shoes.
Take fish oil tablets.

What do you use to get that info. Specifically stride per minute.

Go run 5+ miles w/o shoes and tell me about how you don't have blisters or ankle and knee pain.

does anyone here have experience training both outdoors and on treadmills?
which do you prefer, is one more beneficial than the other?

As I said I don't run, but there are people that do and from what I read they don't suffer any injuries that other runners do. It just sounds like "oh I got knee pain again" is normal to runners, but when someone barefoot says the same, it's "serves you right for being a moron".

Outdoors is best. The only thing a treadmill is good for is when extreme weather is out and you can't run outside e.g tornado, 7 feet of snow, -40 degrees outside, etc.

Still waiting...I will repeatedly post until she does it.

Can't wait to go for a run when I get off of work, only thing that eases my suffering.

>tfw intersections

Having to stop for cross traffic detracts so much from a nice run. It's much nicer on a trail where you can just space out and run seemingly forever.

God this. Coupled with a nice mile long jog there and back, ideal workout.

It's part of Garmin Connect, so you need to buy one of their watches for it.

However, most of this data is available anyways in apps like Strava, which you can use for free if you don't mind running with your phone.

13:36 for 1.5 miles?
So you are saying they just let anyone join the army nowadays huh. You could be decently fat and run that

I might need new shoes, I'm just using the ones I used to walk around outside with but they're a good one and a half years old. I'm not the most active person but they were the only shoes I wore for that time.

What does the fish oil do?

I think I broke my heart.

My resting heart rate is now around 40, my max heart rate during a recent race peaked at 199 with a 192 average, and training peaks rated my lactic threshold as 174 bpm. I'm 35 years old. My zones are all screwed up.

Zone 2 (Friel) starts at 156. I just did a 9 mile recovery run in which I couldn't muster more than 122 bpm at 8:30/mi.

Am I broken? Do my zones suck?

Give it a few days and you wont feel it anymore. If you have duoderm put that on there.
If you have some areas that are prone to blisters on your feet, then tape them up before running. That way the friction will be negated by the tape and not your skin.

>but it's funny reading all the hate against barefoot running
>As I said I don't run, but there are people that do and from what I read

Remember where you are..

Veeky Forums is not the best sample nor most representative of opinions when it comes to fitness and sport related activities.

How are you measuring your HR?

I wouldn't rely on just one device for the measurement especially when inter-device measurements in comparison studies find inconsistency.