How long did it take you lads to hit 1pl8 bench?

Please only post here if your starting bench was less than 1pl8, otherwise a lot of people will post saying they started with 2pl8 bench and whatever, I'm just looking for people who started with the bar or more so I can gauge how long it'll take me!

Your bench won't go up if you aren't gaining weight. If youre stuck you need more calories.

Started from zero.

Went from zero to 1pl8 in exactly 5 months running SL 5X5. I missed many weeks in between, so ideally you might be able to do it in 3-4 if consistent.

Benching was uncomfortable so i worked with dumbbells instead starting with 30s. After a few months i was benching 60 pound dbs and i was finally able to do 135 on bb.

I started sophomore year. I clearly remember doing 95 then hitting 140 after 5 months of class. That was 6 years ago. Everybody made the same average of 35-55lb gains in max

Noob reporting in. Around 3 months? Spent a lot of time fixing form. Watch a lot of YouTube videos on form. Took me a while to find a style that I'm comfortable with and after that my bench just keep increasing.

Using microplates was a HUGE help too. Used to be stuck at 1pl8 due to 5kg increments.

I probably could have done 1pl8 bench to start so this isnt exactly answering within your criteria, but I have had shoulder issues my whole life and started at a comfortable 95lbs. I progressed with 5x5 adding 5lbs to the bar with every last set over 5 reps, and 10lbs for every LS over 8 reps. It took me about 8 weeks to get up to 135.

I had already been lifting for about a year but didnt have a bench in the home gym so I just stuck with weighted dips for that time. Once I moved and had to join a gym my other lifts were in line with 1/2/3/4 pl8/lift, obviously excluding 2pl8 bench. As it stands, this was about 3 months ago that I hit the 1pl8 and my bench is now up to 205.

Keep lifting, eating, and adding weight on each workout and you'll get there eventually. Also remember that taking a deload week when things are tough can actually help out your lifts a lot.

I started from nearly zero. Took me around 3 months iirc

I should add that Layne Norton's video on bench form helped me immensely. You should check it out

probably 35-40kg was my 1 rep max in the beginning. Now its 60kg so 1pl8 and it has been probably around 6months.

>1pl8
it's 40 kg?

Honestly getting to 1pl8 is easy

2pl8 on the other hand

When I started i could barely bench the bar in the smith machine >tfw
I reached 1pl8 after 4 months of a
brosplit and 1 month if icf 5x5. You can do it faster if you eat properly and get on a proper routine. Just keep at it friendo

60kg. Get the 'not counting the bar' meme fuck outta here

first time bench pressing the bar for three times. after 16 months hit 2 plate

summer

what the fuck is a pl8 ?

if i put 25kg at each side of the bar = 50kg

how much is that ? this pl8 meme confuses me

I don't remember as it was several years ago, however I can share tips that helped me get a better bench.

Bench at least twice a week, don't follow some routine that had you benching once a week every other week. Benching muscles will recover quicker than what will recover from heavy squats and deadlifts.

Train bench across rep ranges. One or my two days I'll do a heavy 5x5, other time I lower the weight and do 8-12, bench responds well to volume.

Work chest and triceps in accessories. Grab dumbbells and work your upper chest in an incline, and work triceps. Both are involved in bench (esp tris) but won't be trained the best by bench alone.

Form: make sure your form is good, it will help a lot, but don't go for a ridiculous arch for your bench. It will help you get the most weight up from your current strength, but the greatly reduced ROM will cripple your training. Use enough arch to be comfy and protect shoulders, and make sure your reps will touch your chest. Don't bounce the bar off your chest, have a slight pause.

Then there is the basic stuff: eat well rest well, if you stall for a week then reload 10% and crush that weight for a new rep record and progress on.

>being this retarded

20kg/44lbs
so 1pl8 bench is 20+20+bar

It should take you about 2-3 months on a standard beginners programme which is how long it took me.

If you are struggling you most likely need to eat more food. Rest is important but recovery will be pretty easy at your level of development so food is going to be the most likely culprit.

Form is critical, getting tight especially in your upper back is going to be important. You want your shoulders back and your traps to be a platform to bench from. Now if you are very skinny then you won't have the musculature to get that tight, get bigger in general and everything will come together.

Don't stress over how much you can lift now. If you are consistent you will get there. My gf benched 40kg on her first attempt and got 90kg for 2 reps a couple of weeks ago and is only 5'1". Her squat started with the empty bar and she can squat 140kg now. Over the space of around 2 years whilst dealing with injuries so if you are a healthy guy you will get there given time. Enjoy the process and easy gains for now. Assistance work can help but you just need overall strength, you shouldn't have to be bringing up specific weak points yet.

Went from 45 lbs to 135 in about a month

It took me a few years to go from benching an empty bar for sets of 20 to a 2pl8 bench, but i could probably have done it in 12 months if it weren't for a wrist injury & an elbow injury which kept flaring up

Started with just the bar, hit 60 kg as fast as Stronglifts progression allowed.
Didn't start stalling before 87.5 kg.
My best bench is currently 110 kg x3.
Don't sweat it OP, you'll get there (and beyond) with patience, consistent effort, progressive overloading, sufficient food and rest.

If you want some pointers on what to fix, take a look in the good book or watch the EliteFTS "so you think you can bench?" series on YouTube, or the episode about bench pressing Mark Rippetoe did with the Art of Manliness guy.

6 months? probably less for 1rep max

am at 2pl8 for 2 reps now

Honestly almost a year.

A few months of bulking from 5'8 125. Just have to hit the gym hard and eat harder.

started at bar, did 1 plate in like 6 months

I had a terrible routine and terrible nutrition. You can do it in like 2 months, I promise

I started out benching 60 lbs total, took me a few weeks of a fuckaround routine to get to 1 pl8

started with 65, took me about 3.7 months for 135x5

took me around 6 months of dicking around with a few routines and diets. Woulda hit it in probably 3 if I was dedicated to my innitial routine and diet.

>tfw just hit 1pl8 bench today.

Felt so fucking good coming from skelebro.

>tfw trying to get to 3pl8

Ive almost killed myself a few times to be quite honest.

been doing SS since 2012, I'm almost there

plus I'm nearly at a 2pl8 squat too, finally about to make it