What is the most common mistake you see people make at the gym?

What is the most common mistake you see people make at the gym?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gJPGub6u2pg
youtu.be/ttf9Kd_MbhQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

not pinning dem gluts

i dont watch other people and note what mistakes they're making

Show up.

> Not squating ATG

not lubing up the bench press

Doing starting strength

Not doing starting strength

not having a home gym.

Found the guy who messed up

Mixed grip deadlifts, 3pl8s or less

Not using squat-plug.

having bad genetics

>mfw doing that rn

Half anything

Getting between me and the squat rack.

I like squats, man.

Half/quarter squats

Oddly, the guys going to proper depth invariably move more weight than the guys who half ass it

doing squats

big butts on men are gay and i lol at any guy who has one

Bitches love it, though

Why do you think baseball games are full of college sloots?

don't care if they do, that's not the look i want

i don't want to look like some kind of farm animal

leg press once a week is sufficient for aesthetics

To each his own, I guess. I want to look like a Clydesdale

I've been helping my skinny brother get into lifting and I told him to show me how he deadlifts.

He locked his knees, leaned down with a rounded back, tensed his arms and shoulders and then pulled it like a row before it bounced against his legs. He had no idea why I was so aghast.

I agree with this user. Always using the overhand grip until I hit 3pl8.

One of the biggest mistakes I see is people having a slight bend in their arm on the palm-facing-forward hand while switch gripping. Torn bicep here we come!!

Browsing Veeky Forums

>What is the most common mistake you see people make at the gym?
Going

If you're gonna be fat and just sit there being fat doing 5 pound curls 30 reps for 9 sets, then go home, don't fucking come.

Probably dating non whites

>not doing JoJo presses 5xMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA

Be indian

This

>Dating a white women
>picofanimegirlpuking.jpg

Not doing full ROM. Wow so impressive 2 pl8 bench but quarter repping. Confirmed for not making it.

you will never look powerful without a huge muscly ass

what a little bitch lol, prolly couldn't get a big butt if you tried anyway

>Behind the neck shoulder press

Using momentum to complete their lifts

people that take over an hour to do all their lifts

big asses and tree trunk legs look retarded

this is where i wanna be at

Why though? I recently hit 3pl8 dl and I've been using mixed grip

OHP with a bench/squat grip. I try and correct people for that if I am pushing close to their weight.

Powercleaning the bar by reverse curling it instead of pulling and getting under it.

drinking water in between sets

>mfw I see someone using his stand to help him lift more

Not getting a wheelchair to save gains between exercises
Way to lose gains

not doing compounds. lots of people will bench press but never squat, press or deadlift. if t hey squat most people will squat like shit.

don't do high bar squats if nothing's stopping you from low bar squats. if you for some reason prefer high bar squats to low bar squat, atleast get the ankle flexibility or shoes required. 99% of people i've seen half squatting are high bar squatters.

That's probably because 99% of gym squatters are highbar squatters. You're not going to know about lowbar unless you've either gone looking for info or have someone coaching you.

High bar is what people instinctively do if they don't have someone to coach them. This is literally the only reason they're as widespread as they are.

Everyone I know who high bar squats hates squatting, because it's given them persistent lower back and knee pain. Everyone who switches pretty much instantly recovers and rarely gets injured again.

That said the single biggest mistake most people in my gym make is doing any type of squat in running shoes.

at my gym it's more like 2/3 high bar and 1/3 low bar. i think it's because low bar squats are not that taxing on one's flexibility. most people who can't do them properly can after having done the bottom position stretch a few times. (the one where you squat down and push your knees out with your elbows)

oh yeah. once i forgot my chucks so i decided to squat in my normal shoes (adidas trainers type shoes). i've been squatting in these flat shoes for so long that i forgot how it was before i got them. i thought poeple were exagurrating but holy shit. never again. they where so flimsy under a load.

dipping in the OHP rack

Who do I believe?

range of motion

ATGlets who squat 2pl8 with their knee wraps and compression shorts while looking down on everyone who doesn't let their femurs touch their heels are the worst
>H-heh... He wouldn't squat that much if he was using REAL form like me!

Literally did that today so I just lost the shoes, fuckthe rules. None of the gym staff saw me or bothered to comment.

Oh yeah. Number one offender right here, followed by cheating on their form to achieve reps

When people put the 15 pounders in the 30 pound slot. Curlbros plz leave

Depends, are we talking high bar/front squats for oly lifting? Then yeah get ATG. Low bar for power lifting? Then no, you don't need ATG.

Of course one or the other can be better for people training for a specific goal in their athleticism. However for gymgoers any type of squat is fine as long as you break parallel. My post was meant for the guys who think ATG is the only way to squat because of memes on the internet

Not trying.
A lot of people just fart around putting in medium effort when they could have great bodies if they actually tried for the duration they've been coming to the gym.

Probably the dudebro attitude of not keeping track of progression.

>Lol lets just curl this random weight until it burns or something idk
>What are calories
>Lets do massive volumes of triceps before benchday, gotta get the pump brah
>Nah legs once a week is enough
>Still got DOMS so that means its growing

>WHY DONT I PROGRESS
>everyone else is on roids prob that must be it

being in my way

No, literally what people do without coaching is a stiff legged Deadlift with a rounded back.

post body shitlord. How're those leg presses coming along?

leaving their fucking paper towels/water bottles on the equipment.

das me the first day. ayy

>implying doing leg press once a week will ever get you there

Move that shit, mate.
Unless it's a five minute thing, it's the right thing to do.

>not using a hoverboard in gym

come on guys! walking is cardio and cardio kills gainz!

Half squats, half bench, deadlifitng with squat form, arm days.

Using a belt for 2pl8 half squats.
Just got back from the gym and saw four different guys doing this.

Today at the gym

>me doing close grip bench
>hear the guy next to me, "you're doing it wrong, bro, gotta use a wider grip"
>ignore him and finish my set
>see him benching 1pl8
>Ayla Mao
>bar doesnt even touch his chest, also lockouts at the top
>almost fails at twelfth rep

Fucking dyels, I swear to God.

I am doing SS, 4 months in. Sometimes I hate you all.

Not touching your chest is correct though. If you touch your chest you are going to blow out your elbows.

youtube.com/watch?v=gJPGub6u2pg

>hoverboard squats

Ohp in the squat rack

4 months is plenty time to have been on SS it's time to switch routines

With proper form, bar should touch the chest, or at least really close to the chest. Full ROM, my friend

Do you have a suggestion?

Yes. Do SL.

Nice job explaining yourself

He's right, though.

Do your research. We don't spoonfeed dyels.

do indians knowingly put effort into looking as ridiculous as possible?

It's not that you "don't spoonfeed" it's just that you don't know anything. You can't justify yourself because you don't actually know what you're talking about.

I gave the reason why chest-touching is bad and will lead to injury in the long run. You shouldn't do it regularly, and what's more, you don't need to. Partial ROM is healthier and trains the chest.

I have past injuries that prevent me from squatting or deadlifting. Not everyone can afford to get injured again.

I try not to sperg over whether or not I actually touched my hamstrings to my calves, but I always try to go really deep. even parallel feels like cheating

Not bringing their own plates lmao, I bet they don't own their own bowling shoes too

this guy is memeing, don't listen. stay on SS until you get to a good point of strength (depends on your goals) then switch to a more push/pull type routine

There are people who actually do 0 cardio, like what the fuck

Mostly bad bench form honestly, in fact I don't think I've seen anyone use anything approximating proper form (besides me obv). There are a lot of young lads in my gym (16-20 yr olds) who do accessories almost exclusively, and when I have seen anyone do compounds it's invariably upper body stuff and usually in the smiths. When they do use the oly bench though, they just sort of... lie there, like with a neutral spine and their legs all relaxed out front. I'm not saying everyone should use competition form but benching is a full body movement. You at least need to be able to exert a bit of leg drive. I don't understand? There's no excuse to not google this shit, information is at everyone's fingertips nowadays, nothing like when I was a teenager.

Ladies, please! It depends on your individual morphology/mobility. If your shoulders are in any pain at all, you probs shouldn't touch your chest

They are called cowards

ego lifting, not resting enough, supersetting while natty

>What is the most common mistake you see people make at the gym?

People not making friends despite being surrounded by total bros.

Just come and talk to us. We just want to be bros and learn from each other but we can't if you're acting like an autist.

As a gymbro, nothing makes me sadder than having to watch a millenial not become one of the bros, of his own accord.

I've been benching with planted feet/arched spine/ full rom for so long now, and I still have no idea what people mean when they talk about leg drive when benching

Can confirm, i fuckin hate cardio so i never do it. I dont care about my health so theres really no reason for me to do it

fucking griplet

>I dont care about my health
You probably will once your body starts working against you every day, living in fear that it's gonna croak soon

Not listening to this song whike PRing
youtu.be/ttf9Kd_MbhQ

>not training the full range of motion
>not gaining the full benefit of the exercise

>50 people in the venue
>3 have pen and paper with them

its like they hate progress

I have a friend coming to the gym with me tomorrow because he's been training for the past couple months with these two guys, and they've done about 2 leg days so far and totally avoid lower back work like deadlifts, not even rack pulls or lmao bar only good mornings.

Fucking criminal considering his #1 concern is love handles and lower back fat, and despite not being able to spot reduce fat you can still achieve better results training these areas.

>any type of squat in running shoes

Oh yes, I used to squat in Nike RN5's, an awesome running shoe, best I've ever had, but terrible for squats, I couldn't bend my knees far enough and it was almost impossible for me to drive my heel in because the shoe is designed to pitch you forward so I was practically tip-toeing, switched to some hard' flat-bottomed old school adidas trainers I picked up on a whim and my squat form literally improved overnight.

Two friends of mine are obsessed with hypertrophy, yet have no idea about sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy, they just do 4-6 sets at 15-20 reps on everything, meanwhile I'm doing 3x5 followed by 2x12 and I'm catching them up on pretty much everything, despite them having about 2 years experience on me.

I know about leg drive, basically I bench with my back flat on the bench, the whole back on the bench, no arch, and once the bar is at chest level I have to use my thighs to drive my feet into the ground to give myself the drive to extend my shoulders, it's a crappy way to bench and I'm starting to fix it properly now I take bench seriously, but I find it so hard to arch my back and tuck my feet in.

>using a pen and paper to look more committed
>not using your 500 dollar smart phone
Everyone I ever see with a notepad is a full fledge autist

>i don't want to look like some kind of farm animal

if you aren't hitting below parallel on a squat then you're not doing full ROM and are only failing yourself.