/plg/ powerlifting general

bullies get out
>isley
>joe
>panzer

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/kortney_olson/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Already got a pretty good answer for this but i wanna know others opinions, what does /plg/ do the week before a meet?

Volume goes way down to basically just enough light-moderate work to stay loose, take openers Tuesday or Wednesday, that's about it.

is there somekind of universal law that you cant success with all three lifts at the same time?

squatted 2pl8 3x5 paused

deadlifted 245 lbs 2x5

proud of myself ;)

How much is Isley weighing rn?

Depends on your level.
Noob gains you can. As you start to reach the end of linear gains you'll start to see how your leverages favour certain lifts over others and will need to add specificity into progressing them.
Basically genetics and how close you are to your limit determine it.

congrats

About 105

Yeah pretty much.

>tfw reached 305lb deadlift 3 weeks back and fucked my lower back
no more deadlifts or barbell rows for me for a while. deloaded squats now at only 110lbs.

Who is she OP?

thanks!

:(
when your back gets better, really dial in your form

it feels laughable squatting/deadlifting less than I bench but I'm just happy I'm able to do it without pain. I was taking my body for granted before, now I'm concentrating on bracing hard and perfect form (filip is my inspiration)

instagram.com/kortney_olson/

So when you guys brace for a deadlift or squat, do you actually try breathing out against closed airways or what?
Because people always talk about the valsava maneuver. And that is what it is.

But it sounds weird and also contradicts to duffins video on bracing. He doesn't mention trying to breath out.

I just think about holding my breath after bracing

I feel pretty solid bracing without the valsmemea desu. I like to concentrate on not letting the breath work itself too high up in my chest - otherwise it's pinned-in-the-hole time.
How much do you weigh? How did you snap it up?

What do you know

Not as much as you. How should I be doing it?

Pre deadlift good form get?

Video of todays squats.
I can't help myself but fuck up my sheiko programming.
Meant to be 140 3x2
Did 2x2 easy
Last set said fuck it AMRAP. Previous best 140x2, 1RM 160
Aim for 4-5
I get 10.
Mind blown
>tfw camera randomly stopped recording
I'm going to attempt 180 in 2 weeks

Okay, one, you're UNBELIEVABLY stupid. That was completely moronic

Two, you are now a prime example of who shouldn't be doing sheiko. YOu should never have done it. Why are you such an imbecile? Why did you fall for Sean's sheiko meme?

The idea of me doing my 85% for a set of 10, or even a set of 5, is laughable. I should be doing it because I'm gaining 2.5-5kg on a lift in three months AT BEST.

You should never have done it. FUCK. I hate plg.

Breathe as low as possible

sets don't count if you don't film them

it's like a tree falling in the woods

Chill man. I'm in no rush to do the most efficient programs and such. Heaps of people were doing it so I figured I'd try it out.
My squat was progressing very slowly but since switching to low bar, cutting depth a bit, belt and sleeves I'm adding to my squat very quickly.

I did try to film it. I film every set of my workouts.
I'll just have to do it again.

>in no rush to do the most efficient

With that attitude you are fucked when you hit a wall

Why is that?
I haven't even been lifting for 2 years. I can have fun with my training and see what I like and what works for me.

How does that effect what I'd do if I hit a wall?

So I'm getting to the point in SL 5x5 where it seems like I've basically hit my limit as far as linear progression goes for some lifts but not others, I'm wondering if I would be better off just moving on from the program into another one or sticking to 5x5 and grinding away at the lifts that I can't easily progress linearly on anymore.

In particular the problem lifts seem to be OHP and deadlifts, OHP I got 5x5 100 lbs and then 105 lbs is basically me doing sets of 2 or even 1 reps. Deadlifts I've been able to do 1x5 of 270 lbs as the program prescribes, but I wouldn't say the set was entirely continuous if that makes sense. I tried 280 tonight and was able to get one rep.

Bench (140) and squat (195) are proving less problematic, but progress still seems to be slowing day to day, I'm not hitting 5 reps on even the first set of bench, and when I do hit 5 reps on squat the sets themselves take a lot of time and extra willpower to power through them (along with form breakdown after 2 or 3 reps, though not to the point of injury quite yet). Rows have never really been an issue, I sort of progress with those at my own pace anyhow, been able to work up to 135 with no real issues.

Basically it seems like the program has run its course but my numbers don't quite seem like they're where they should be at the end of the program, at least if the results of others is any indication. Any tips?

>10 reps at 85%
Wew nice. Must've had some secret power stored somewhere

why does this bother you so much

If i could go back id maximise my first two years, ive spent years having to work out imbalances and weaknesses caused by not having a clue what i was doing and thinking i knew better

The base is important, dont fuck about

guys

why does someone going off program for a day trigger you all so much, I don't get it.

People do programming written by far more knowledgable people, programming thats tried and tested and works, then you get novice-intermediates thinking they know everything after their year or two of lifting and change things then moan the programme is shit

It is stupid to do that, I get it, but why does it make you so angry?

You wana fuck about do a 'go by feel' programme not rigid to the kilo russian science programming

Doing more can fuck with recovery, bad session, bad week, bad cycle. Its all meticulously done so it takes you to the edge and you rebound for comp, dont go over the edge and shortchange yourself

I'm not an advanced lifter or anything but if I had to guess it's because if you can do 10 reps of your 85% there's probably a way more efficient way that you could be upping your lifts. The reason for the amount of volume on sheiko is that your numbers are too high to do 10 reps of your 85% so you have to do a shitload of volume to find a way to keep gaining strength.

Basically just the idea of doing sheiko when you don't have to is inefficient and unnecessary for gaining strength

Again this is just my best guess

with ohp I found 5x5 progression stops quite quickly, but if you progressively drop it to 3x5 then 3x3 it should help, got it to 70kg for me by lowering the reps.

deadlift stalling that early sounds like you need to eat more though

I'm doing Sheiko which is a tried and tested program. It's not exactly fucking around. I focus on good form and gaining strength.
I don't think I know better nor think the program is shit.

I haven't changed anything. I originally had my sheiko squat max set at 155. I found it way too easy so the first week I maxed out my squat at 160.
A week later and I'm meant to do 140 3x2 and it's still too easy.
So instead I do an AMRAP at 140 and get 10. Clearly if I'm hitting 85% for 10 reps it's not a true 85% 1RM.

Would it not be more beneficial and the best course of action increase the weight I'm doing to get the most of of the program or am I wrong?

If he can hit 85% for ten, he's so far under the assumed strength levels (or has super under-estimated his 1RM) that it's not going to matter as much as you'd think. He's not going to be accumulating anywhere near the intended amount of fatigue from the regular sessions. Which is a problem in its own way.

Or do something else that lets you progress quicker as clearly you arent strong enough for the sheiko % as some people even recommend LOWERING the % because it gets too much, if youre finding it easy its cause your maxes are so low the sub maximal work is nothing

You probably should be fucking around! Or doing DUP or 5/3/1

Having done 140kg for TEN it's literally time for you to stop sheiko right now. There is nothing for you in it

> originally had my sheiko squat max set at 155. I found it way too easy so the first week I maxed out my squat at 160.
A week later and I'm meant to do 140 3x2 and it's still too easy.

THIS IS WHY. Why are you doing the "Add 5kg to my squat in 3 months" program when you could be doing the "Add 5kg to my squat in two weeks" program

Yes i agree, dont fall for the memes, do programming and progression fit for your lifts and experience

Drop down to 5x3 for reps, progress for a while. When you stall again, remove 20% of the load from your wendnesday session.
Your problem is either with the program, not allowing enough recovery, or with you not eating enough.

Yeah I most likely haven't been eating enough

I have been having some issues regarding form as well which make me sort of cautious to be pushing my max weight every session (particularly on squat and deadlift, my squats take a turn towards good mornings too frequently for my liking) and the strain I feel in my lower back from deadlifts is confusing and sort of discouraging.

I'll try to change it up as far as OHP goes though

there never were memes to fall for in the first place, isley spergs out about intermediates doing sheiko at least twice a thread, that an idiot like that could go through with it anyway confounds me ngl

I'm not listened to as much as I should be.

The way you carry on and sperg doesn't exactly exude confidence in what you say

You know your stuff but you are very unyielding and not open to other opinions which makes people switch off

>yes i get the irony of that statement

you have some good ideas but your presentation of them turns most people off
(this is a subtle way of saying you act like a douche)

maybe autist would be a more apt term

>worked up to 175kg to pretty big block
>advised to go 185-190kg next time and then gradually use smaller blocks
and im using a very worn old as fuck F6 with seams barely in place, feeling good lads

Just finished sheiko 3 day large load, weights were flying up like nothing in the end.

I got 10 weeks until next comp, should i test my max now and start the next or jump straight into sheiko again with a few % increased?

Yeah you're a cunt mate.

How dare you share common knowledge that's available via Google in a moment's notice on a Cambodian cartoon masturbation convention website. And how dare you have a little bit of Personality about it :-)

I like that you are a dick. Anybody taking anyone's word for gospel around here deserves their just punishment of running Sheiko until broken dick and death :-)

But seriously, around here there's a lot of great information, and a lot of terrible information just like in the real life world of the fitness industry.

People looking for answers need to find it on their own through experience and just be moderate and selective about what they listen to on the internet in general.

Didnt mike t also say "its just lifting weights"

Filthy hypocrite

People hate differing opinions

I'm looking at 5/3/1 BBB

First day has squats
65%x5
75%x5
85%x5+
then BBB
50% 5x10
Then 5x10 assistance

So it has you doing 8 sets of the core lift?
Isn't 3x5+, 5x10 shit tonnes of volume? Is that safe to do deadlifting?

8 sets once a week (really six, since the 65 and 75% sets are just easy warmups) isn't a huge amount of volume.

I think that's essentially the same sentiment, though.

Your personal interpretation of your own strength training journey (no gay) is a work of art unique to yourself.

In the end, though, it's all just sets reps load recovery repeat. It's just lifting weights. And we all already know that the athlete is often the most important variable as compared to the programming:-)It's better to do your alternate upper or lower body lift for the big but boring volume. So you'll do your sets of fives threes or ones first Squat, then you'll do the 5 by 10 with deadlift or a lighter deadlift variation.

Its 50%

A lot of people do the 5x10 swapped over ie
Squat/dead
Bench/press
Dead/squat
Press/ bench

Better frequency

Ok thanks

how's this sound?

Squats: 5x10 front squats 50%, 5x10 leg press, 5x10 row

Bench: 5x10 incline DB, 5x10 dips, 5x10 pull ups

Deadlift: 5x10 good morning, 5x10 paused squat, 5x10 hip thrusts

OH Press: 5x10 CGBP, 5x10 tricep push down, 5x10 face pull

Who's that lesbo?

>5x10 front squats
kudos to you if you can actually do that and get the quad benefit out of it
a lot of people keep front squats low reps because oftentimes your back will fatigue before your legs on higher rep sets

Didn't even have to ask to find my answer

read the thread baka

If you can handle it I'm sure it's fine. But you may want to ease into those 5 by 10 sets by starting at 3 by 10 for the first month.

Also the old big but boring template is decent but it's easy to go stale on it after a couple of Cycles. If you haven't read Beyond 5/3/1 it's available for free if you Google it.

A lot of Wendlers old templates were just stupid proof shut up and lift type layouts.

Beyond 5/3/1 is really the up-to-date version of his programming and there are tons of options and modifications to make sure that whatever template your running can be periodized and can be run for a longer period of time. For example he has a big but boring transition which is really nice. Which basically goes from 5 by 10 Kama then sets of fives threes and eventually singles, changing every cycle or two cycles.

All 3 lifts are doing great for me right now. Just hit a 25 lbs squat pr last night, bench has gone up e1RM of ~47 lbs in the last 4 months, and deadlifts are feeling great and I'm maxing them tomorrow.

I'm also eating like a madman and up from 77kg to 82kg in the last 4 months.

Speaking of Sheiko, I just had my squat skills test yesterday and got a 25 lbs PR. If my deadlift skills test goes well tomorrow would it be okay to maybe take a deload week then just start the cycle over with new maxes? I don't know how much use it is for me to run the competition block since I'm not feeling super fatigued. (Intermediate medium load if that matters)

Also, even though I'm still really weak I feel like Sheiko is doing wonders for both my form and strength. I think at my level, 9 weeks for a 25 lbs squat PR isn't bad at all.

>5kg in 4 months

You are not eating like a madman

In a month then sure

I've been thinking about adding RTS elements into the Texas Method, which I decided to do since I want to focus on high bar squats for a bit. Was thinking of something like:
M: Squats Work up to 5@9 load drop 6-9%
W: 3ct Pause Squats up to 3@9 ld 6-9%
F: Squats up to 3@9 Rep drop, work up to RPE 9 doing 2 rep sets

Am I doing it right?

anybody tried the nuckols' 28 free program? any idea how to calculate the 1RM for next week when a program doesn't have an AMAP set?

for example, in previous Bench pic it's clear, but for this squat program there's no explanation about when to increase the 1RM for calculations

Your new 1RM for week 4 is the weight you use for the next cycle

>tfw have a shit week of sleeping and training
>know intensity day is going to be shit
>tfw fail on the 5th rep of the squat

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Anything @9 is a hard fucking lift m9. It's not one more good rep in the tank, it's "probably" one more tough, ugly grinder. Keep VD work in the 7-8 range, RD work no heavier than 7-7.5, ID looks okay but again, be careful going up to a true 9, that's potential injury territory.

>I'm also eating like a madman and up from 77kg to 82kg in the last 4 months.
How much bf did you gain?

Do you guys prefer flat shoes or deadlift slippers for deads?
Been thinking about buying a pair of slippers but they dont seem to have very good grip or support for your foot.

Used both, shoes def better for grip and support

Not much, but definitely some. At 77kgs I was maybe 11-12% bf. Now around 12-13% maybe? I can see my top 4 abs when I flex in okay lighting. I don't think it matters too much though. Cutting is really easy for me so I'm just going to bulk to 88 kgs or so then cut back to 83 and do a meet.

Lads. If I'm dicking around with Prilepin's table and INOL, how does 2/3/1 weekly INOL sound for volume?

>93
>93
>93
>93

He did, but the context is often completely lost

He said "powerlifting doesn't take any great strength of will; it's just lifting weights for fun"

After cutting to 83 I'm going straight to 93. That's the long term goal. I just don't want to get there too fast and end up 20%+ bf.

In other words "you aren't a badass iron warrior"

Thanks man,I'm also thinking about gaining weight fast.
In my case I can only gain ~8kg without being too fat (that would put me at 5'5 -74kg) so I'll probably end up doing it slowly.
>tfw not 5'5 shredded -83kg turbomanlet like Gibbs

im around 5'6 and scared to leave 74s Tbh
its the only thing making my lifts at least half decent

>74forlyfe
ive put on like 1-2kg per meet over 3 years lol

Yeah, at 5'5 I think it's hard to get over 74kg without getting fat. I would just aim for around 1kg a month for a while and see how it's going. If you feel like you're getting too fat, no problem in slowing it down to around 0.5-0.75kg/month. Just remember that it's way easier to cut fat than it is to build muscle, so if you get a little chubby it isn't the end of the world.

Yeah it sucks.
I was 67kg fatass when I didn't workout.
Lost weight till 57kg and then bulked up to -66kg.Cut again to 63 pretty fast and right now I'm ~67kg and leanest I have ever been.
I'm not super fat,I can see abs under good lightning or when flexing but I'm also very small.
You read of people that gained 20-30kg from when they started working out but with this tiny frame it's just not possible.

Hungover speed deadlifts today. I feel this is a recipe for vomiting.

Joe isnt a bully hes just going through a tough time.

I can take whatever he throws at me. For the sake of friendship.

>new sport shorts arrive
>XL
>fit waist perfectly
>try to squat in them
>quads to thick
REEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm interested: what are some of the imbalances that you had to deal with?

matt ogus is 5'5 and 81kg lean

>wear old rugby shorts squatting
>too tight to get deep

why must legs get bigger those shorts are comfy

I'm natty tho

>anybody tried the nuckols' 28 free program?
This nigger serious?

Biggest one was i didnt have a squat rack for 3 years

Second was i decided it would be a good ieea to drop bench for push press for like 8 months

I know but what I meant is that you should definetly be able to be lean in the 74kg class

yeah iktf i cant squat in any of my old rugby shorts

Who is this snu snu ?

My lifting belt leaves bruising above my hips and hurts when I squat.
Is that normal?

Reminder that you should try harder. Both in the gym and in your social life.

>your social life.
whats that

Yeah its supposed to be stiff