Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mOf6w59jz_g
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Study
youtube.com/watch?v=ImYPAjSK8lo
youtube.com/watch?v=DoVpL_QV_sA
youtube.com/watch?v=Fe56wmYdTEo
youtube.com/watch?v=gZAsgM_BbpQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I recently quit smoking, haven't smoked weed in like 6 years, and am thinking about quitting or severely cutting back on my drinking

It's just not worth it anymore

>It's just not worth it anymore
Elaborate?

not him, but nothing good comes out of it

I'm tired of pissing my money away in order to act like a jackass, feel physically like shit the next morning, be a lazy, unproductive blob the entire next day while having thoughts of regret and embarrassment at my drunken self

Mom and dad were both alcoholics

Dad still drinks himself stupid every now and then

They left some p deep emotional scars

As for the rest of the drugs, fuckup older brother was a good example of what not to do, so i guess i avoided those too

Good answers, I can relate. I fucking hate drinking to the point that I actually hate other people drinking now. I'm so sick of drunk fuckheads and junkies and their antics. I find it pathetic really. I've probably gotten drunk twice this year and regretted it, and have only had drinks 3-4 other times which was 100% because of friends saying "hey user, have a drink!", "hey user, why aren't you drinking?", then I'd proceed to drink a single beer over about 45 mins.

Smoked a bit and drank a bit in highschool, after I smoked something bad though had a psychotic break and started seeing a therapist. Can't drink or smoke or nothing without the feelings of being litterally dead returning. Sometimes I'll have a beer with dinner but that's it

I vape, I roid and I drink milk

I can't drink much so I'm right there. Drink one beer the entire night to fit in better. Also reading about Buddhist philosophies on inhibitors had got me super straight edge. To the point where I consider users degenerates

Parents were addicts when my brother and I were growing up, watched them do crack, meth, etc. along with drinking a lot and of course smoking. Dad is still a hopeless alcoholic and mom is still an addict, of course now it's pills and not heroin, so that's good I guess. Completely ruined our childhoods, and that has turned me off all of it for life. That being said, do whatever the fuck you want so long as it doesn't ruin somebody else's life

I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, but I also don't need to define myself with some faggy label to look edgy.

I've been straight edge since I was 19. I'm 31 now. I guess I was never really into drinking or drugs and then I started listening to a lot of Minor Threat and Judge.

youtube.com/watch?v=mOf6w59jz_g
This song right here is what made me become straight edge. It still really resonates with me.

You tell me that nothing matters
You're just fucking scared
You tell me that I'm better
You just hate yourself
You tell me that you like her
You just wish you did
You tell me that I make no difference
At least I'm fuckin' trying
What the fuck have you done?

ITT losers

I'm I currently have a pretty good buzz going, though I'm not going out and have cut myself off for the night

Honestly, I probably just have a drinking problem. Alcoholism runs in my family. It doesn't help that I'm a 27 year old undergrad and most of my friends are in their early 20s

fuck yes. me and my posse do this thing where we park our car outside of mcdonald's and get pumped listening to earth crisis and then threaten the customers with violence, call them meat eating piece of shits and make them do push ups. if we see a smoker we just fuck them up on the spot.

Can't say I can relate that much.
Grandpa was an alcoholic his whole life, has had endogenous depression and been suicidal multiple times too.
His daughter (my aunt/mum's sister) became an addict at 18 or so. Has caused her to divorce, lose custody of her kids, couple of car crashed, general life and career instability, and also caused her to be removed entirely from my grandparent's Wills.

I'm starting to look at people who NEED to drink to have fun, fit in, enjoy themselves, cope with life, et al. as weak/pathetic.

Glad to hear you're not like that user. It's pretty common for children to get sucked into their environments growing up. You must be quite headstrong.

Now that's what I call autistic

OP here
Might add I watched a friend I've had since childhood turn from a person that had a realistic chance of being very successful, into (from about 17 yrs old and graduating high school) become more and more engrossed in drinking and alcoholism (and obesity), to the point of him having an alcoholic/ narcissistic meltdown last Christmas that cost him my friendship, and the friendship of 3 of his/my other friends all in about 2 hours.

Nothing good comes from drinking

I appreciate it, other user.

I just get reminded of en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Study

Literally the biggest difference between dudes who had happy lives and those who didn't was just how much they drank

My older siblings were cooking meth when I was in high school. One of them ended up dead from heroin. Discovered the local hardcore scene after being an emo fag. Found the straight edge kids and fit right in.

In college, after I turned 21, I started drinking. Still listen to hardcore in the gym, but stopped going to shows. Also have never done drugs. Too degenerate.

ifyourenotnowyouneverwere.mp3

Why would you stop going to shows? I dunno where you're at but there's at least four where I'm at in the next month that I'm excited for. And I've been doing this for well over a decade.

I fucking love James Pligge and Harms Way

>Who here straight edge?
Me, sort of. I take suboxone, diazepam, and various other prescribed medications. Nothing illegal, no alcohol, tobacco or firearms. I also take antabuse which makes me feel like I'm dying if I drink.
>Why are you straight edge?
I basically switched my drug addiction(s) to a gym/diet addiction. It takes up basically the same amount of time money and obsession, but at least its health(ier)
>What made you become straight edge?
My life was a complete mess. I was suicidal, depressed, no job life or future my life revolved around nothing but drinking (constantly, need a morning drink for the hangover), opiates, and meth. Basically all my life was reduced to was a constant drug binge. I also racked up 4 dui's and I'm now on 'half house arrest, which means from 6pm to 6am i am confined to my house. I also was recently involuntarily psych warded. Constant smoker as well.

Essentially I just transplanted my obsessive nature and addictive fiending personality due to severe anxiety/depressive issues from drugs/alcohol to gym/health/diet/exercise.

My life has been improving greatly. The gym helps with social anxiety by forcing me to be around people, plus people chat to you. It's actually like one of the worst places for social anxiety (like the supermarket) for me at least, but it's like CBT where you're forced to confront and endure it. Improving my body aesthetics improves my self esteem and it gives me a hobby to fill the perpetual void that is this existence.

I feel better, am saving money, getting healthier. looking back the drugs were just like treating the symptoms, masking them really, or just making me so fucked up I forgot they existed. But they weren't actually addressing the underlying issues. Self medication basically.

Before anyone says I'm not truly sober, I agree and i don't label myself or identify as straight edge. I don't look down on people who don't or do take drugs.

/blog

Wasn't true 'till death. Guess I couldn't cut it, so I fucking left.

I stopped going to shows because I stopped hanging out with people who did. They were going no where in life despite being good dudes. I moved to Cali after college and just haven't really tried ever since. Did go to a TUI show last year for fun, but that has been it.

>ifyourenotnowyouneverwere.mp3
Reminds me of this

youtube.com/watch?v=ImYPAjSK8lo

OP here.
I've said to a few friends and my girlfriend that I'm thinking of going edge because I hate drinking, smoking, and drug/alcohol culture (especially among teen-20's Australian population) and this is the usual response I've found:
>You don't drink or any of that anyway, why do you need to say you're straight edge?
>Straight edge is just full of elitist assholes
>It's just an edgy label
>etc. etc. etc.

How do you respond to that?

didn't even know there was a word for this?

i mostly just stick to my outdoor hobbies, camping with mates, skating and snowboarding are my ideas of a friday saturday night, so never drink. Smoked weed once when i was younger, but after watching it turn my mates into lazy assholes i stayed away from it.

i wouldn't call myself straight edge, but I do enjoy the alternative lifestyle I live. I'm glad I have a solid group of friends who are into extreme sports and hiking on the reg.

I dont associate myself w any movement i just dont drink or drugs

your friends are 100% right, sounds like you're just looking for a new identity to be honest, man.

can we please end this meme that alcohol is NOT a drug? Or that it's somehow different or exempt from 'drug' status? ETHANOL IS a drug. One of the hardest drugs you can take at that.

Alcohol would probably be up there in legality status with meth and heroin if it were illegal. It's a hard drug. Its withdrawals can literally kill you. It is a poison. You can overdose and die from it. Long term use is physically extremely damaging (in high amounts). Contrast this with opiates where long term use doesn't really cause direct health problems.

Alcohol IS a drug, and a 'hard' one at that.

Also do straight edgers drink coffee or is that not allowed as well? Caffeine is a drug so I suppose not.

what about tylenol? doctor prescribed medications?

Do antidepressants disqualify someone?

why is this subculture so cringy?

If you don't drink alcohol you'll never make it

>Also do straight edgers drink coffee or is that not allowed as well? Caffeine is a drug so I suppose not.
Yeah, it irks me when I see these edge people proclaim how edge they are, but you won't see them go 5 mins without a Red Bull or coffee. That being said, it is JUST coffee. It doesn't really alter your perception or decision making abilities, so it's not really breaking edge unless you're incapable of functioning without it.

>>>identity politics

I'd say your friends are right. if you don't want to take drugs then just don't. Don't see why you need to tattoo it on your face so everyone knows.

It's like that joke, how do you tell if someone is a vegan?

>don't worry they'll make sure to let you know

just don't take drugs, no need for this label/identity.

plus a lot of people will think you're judging them, and it's confrontational.

for example I used to not eat any meat and when people found out ( i never really told anyone) they'd ask all these questions confrontationally Hurr FOr every animal you DONT eat I WILL EAT 10 FUCKING PLANTS FEEL PAIN FUCKING BLA BLA

like shit I never even implied it was an ethical thing

you're just going to piss people off or alienate them with this cringy teen label

Maybe you're right. But I really do hate drinking and drug culture, and I can honestly say I have less respect for people who don't have a handle on themselves and their bad habits (not even non-edge people, just degenerates/ vagrants)

You all sound edgy as fuck.

I trip balls on Kava Kava tea and Chamomile. I even use Gingko Biloba and Vinpocetine on occasion to have psychedelic experiences. Plus whatever is in Jarrow's Neuro Optimizer is fucking amazing.

>It doesn't really alter your perception or decision making abilities

yes it does. it's a stimulant drug. you're probably just addicted so don't notice it because you're always 'high' on it

Also

Yeah, I agree, alcohol is technically a drug, but it typically isn't lumped in with marijuana, acid, cocaine, heroin, meth. I personally don't think it's anywhere near as dangerous, but whatever. I don't drink it too often.

You'll find a wide range of persons who claim straight edge and abstain from different substances or life style choices. But I've always seen the core as no drugs, no alcohol.

alcohol tastes shitty so i dont drink

>But I've always seen the core as no drugs, no alcohol.

There's this, but I think it's supremely weird when I encounter someone who doesn't have a connection to the hardcore punk scene who says they're straight edge.

youtube.com/watch?v=DoVpL_QV_sA

Yup. I think it's also pretty bad if you're someone who just bought a Minor Threat shirt from hot topic and that as far as your knowledge of straight edge goes.

If you ain't in the modern hardcore scene or actively listening to modern hardcore you may as well get the fuck out.

I was thinking more along the lines of
youtube.com/watch?v=Fe56wmYdTEo

I dunno if I'd go quite that far, but I'm old now and the only reason I actively identify as straight edge at all is because I still go to shows. So maybe. I dunno. I'm willing to give something of a pass to other old edge dudes who stopped following new hardcore (even though there's even more great stuff out there now than there ever has been in my opinion).

But if you've never been to a show and X'ed up your hand? Like what the fuck are you doing saying you're straight edge?

I'm edging all day bb

>ruin every venue
>literally the edgemasters of hardcore
>only bound together by things they don't do

You normally grow out of straight edge when you turn 21, then you realize that you can just not drink or smoke and enjoy music without calling yourself some autistic label that should have died in the early 2000's.

That being said, I don't smoke or drink, haven't had alcohol in probably six years, doesn't appeal to me. Never smoked. I just hate the straight edge faggots

Depends on what they're coping with user.

Friends have smoked weed and done various drugs, including but not limited to , cocaine, lsd, shrooms, molly, heroine(once) , and meth(once). I smoked weed with then ince and got drunk with them once. They werent bad experiences but people that use shit like that to "relax" are just retarded. I think my friends have issues with depression so they abuse drugs on the reg because they dont know how to be functioning adults. I see how mentally slow they currently are at the age of 25 - 30. I learned from their examples and instead turned to fitness.

what the fuck are you even saying

>haven't taken drugs in about a year and a half now, and even then it was just weed.
>never smoked (well other than weed)
>last drank in august because it was my birthday, but kinda regretted it because the next day made me feel like shit.

At this point I'm very tempted to just start taking preworkout for nights out instead of drinking, I'll get the same upper buzz that acts as a social barrier only I won't be hindering my progress at the gym and I'll feel fresh the morning after.

Straight edgers are the most pathetic bunch of sadfucks I've ever come across. Everything in moderation, you stupid fucks, as long as you accept that you are responsible for your actions why would you be against drugs? Kek. I haven't even consumed any drug other than caffeine and alcohol (and I've never gotten drunk off my ass, never more than slight dizziness) but this display of retardation is just too much to bear.

Literally a bunch of faggots that lack the discipline and self control to be their own masters, so they completely separate themselves from abusable substances since they can't consume responsibly.

>most pathetic bunch of sadfucks
>you stupid fucks
> bunch of faggots that lack the discipline and self control

Why are you so angry? Did a straight edge guy fuck your wife or something?

been straight edge for about 6 years, way before i got into lifting. grew up around drugs and alcohol in my family and im saving tons of money and braincells by not touching any of it.

i love it.

That's just how I speak, breh. Living in the 3rd world means I have to swear a lot or look like a cuck aka you.

>why would you be against drugs

Stopped reading there

>providing actual arguments is too hard, I've never gone through any actual thought process in order to motivate my decisions and doing so would make me question my cookie-cutter identity as a hardcore boi

Wew lad

>bunch of faggots that lack the discipline and self control to be their own masters

straight edge is literally about being disciplined enough to abstain for various social vices for self betterment

hypothetically speaking if I do no drugs, dont smoke, dont drink but am a roidhead am I still straight edge ?

when i stopped smoking cold turkey and started eating right an sweating daily, the hair on my head started to grow back gradually.

drugs and alcohol, never again, i'd rather have a head full of hair. i guess im vain and thats my reason.

>I fear that I am unable to control my consuption of certain substances
>I will cut it out completely out of my life, a decision based on my fear
>Discipline

W E W
E
W

You say no when they offer your something you don't want....

They're right

>I believe that I am above wasting my time and money of things such as alcohol, cigarettes and party drugs
>I will cut such things out of my life in order to live better
>Discipline

WEW
E
W

Gay

>I am a binary person with no concept of a middle ground

You guys think it's about self control?

It's about not wanting to support an industry that makes profit off selling poison to inconfident cucks like a lot of those in this thread.

Cigarette's is an addictive product that poisons and cripples your body.

Alcohol is the worst drug in the world. Not just because of drunk drivers, but because it's legal. Doing "dumb shit when you're drunk" is accepted by society. Our attitude against it is flawed and ass backwards. I'm not saying you're a dangerous alcoholic if you take a couple beers or glasses of wine every now and then but people abuse this garbage poison every day and society just looks the other way.

Illegal narcotics destroys families and brains. Prove me wrong. Yes there are people who handle their drugs and can function in society but the majority end up in prison or the streets.

Weed is probably the only substance I don't care if people dabble with or not. I feel gross smoking it though and weed culture is cancer.

I hate drinking (but have one or two in social settings) and pot, but i can never be SxE since psychedelics exist.

If you're young and choose a drugfree life for health and moral reasons, that's great. HOWEVER, if you've never smoked pot and laughed with friends for hours or never ate some shrooms and felt connected to the people around you, you can't fault others for their decisions.

Basically, i'm saying that life is about having experiences, so don't be elitist fucks because you choose or don't choose to do something. Do it for you and stay openminded regardless.

>there are thousands of dangerous substances
>taking them produces zero benefit to you
>because alcohol was labeled as "for human use", it get special treatment

Nihilism is great to wedge yourself away from things that were bogged down by culture and other crap, to take a step backwards and to analyze it from a more neutral standpoint...

Because alcohol usage is a social construct. If you were to introduce people with zero knowledge of alcohol, and give them an assortment of many drugs. They would probably come to the same conclusion as I have, or just kill themselves by consuming them all. But they wont give alcohol a special place in their hearts as you do.

The only reason that you do this is because of your dumb learned behavior from society, culture and family.

But the leftists dont get to claim the word "social construct" all for themselves. It applies much more to us and to this concept.

Alcohol is a thing for edgy faggots.

I drink a beer or have sangria once in a while, really rarely though, I never get drunk.
I drink coffee before lifting because it drives me nuts and makes me push more weight

Outside that I don't really use more "drugs"
And yeah, most of straightedges are faggots

Oh, so you're an uneducated neanderthal, kinda like a monkey. Never mind.

>most of [insert group that go against my shitty habits] are faggots

>tfw went to a rave with nothing but a few energy drinks inside me
>had an amazing time anyway, wasn't as intense but still enjoyed the lights and music a lot
>can now go to multiple raves a month without killing myself on MD
Would still not drop drugs entirely tho

I choose the red pill. Forever training for readiness

straight edge because I have no opportunities

doing drugs/drinking alone at home is stupid and I have no friends to invite me anywhere so I have no reason to not be straight edge

I'm straight edge by definition but I'm not a faggot about it.

I'm straight edge minus beer. Beer is okay, I never get "drunk", I just have a litre or less every other evening, that's a slight buzz for me, I'm sober by the time I go to bed. I can't think of one good reason to cut that out.

Smoking is absolute bullshit though, I wasted 10 years of my life smoking tobacco and weed every chance I got. It made me even skinnier and more nervous than I already was, it amplified my pre-existing weaknesses. I will never ever smoke anything ever again. Haven't smoked anything in 2016, feels great. Got my sense of smell back within weeks, slightly more endurance, not as much as I hoped though. And best of all I can just sit outside and enjoy the fresh air without nicotine cravings or not knowing where to put my hands if I'm not holding some burning paper object. It's not cool, it never was. It's just a crutch for insecure people. It allows you to maintain your insecurities, quitting is the only way to move forward in life. I know that now because I've gotten a lot more socially confident.

youtube.com/watch?v=gZAsgM_BbpQ

YOU SAID YOU ALWAYS BE TRUE BUT YOU'RE A WEAK MOTHERFUCKER AND YOU NEVER HAD IN YOU!

one of the best sxe bands from the 90s. and fuck that user who posted liferuiner. get that hot topic shit out of here.

I'm straight edge but not by choice.

I never liked smoking or drinking but i did enjoy weed.

I just don't have any available to me and i'm not gonna go out of my way to get it.

I'm natty because my health is more important to me than aesthetics and i never wanna lose hair.

I plan on trying mushrooms once in my life but i would never do anything more hardcore than that.

and my boyfriend wants to smoke some weed with me. No homo

I'm not straight edge but I refuse to do anything that would put my life or mental and health at risk. The idea that "you can do what you like with your own body" is just plain selfishness. If I became a loonatic or dead I can't imagine what that would do to my family.

You also have to consider what you're doing when you purchase drugs. You're increasing the demand for all the crime that comes with it.

I wish the police would actually throw people caught in possession of drugs in prison to deter other kids from ruining their parent's lives with drugs.

I'm not actively making an effort to be straight edge out of principle, I'm just a bitch who's scared of drugs.

Lol, this happens in America. Nobody is deterred. You can also get drugs in prison.

>You also have to consider what you're doing when you purchase drugs. You're increasing the demand for all the crime that comes with it
And that's why the war on drugs sucks donkeyballs

I don't drink a lot but every once in a few months I do xtc/speed/4fa/ whatever at a party
I feel sorry for people who's only experience with drugs are negative ones
Drugs are pretty cool to enjoy every once in a while

whos not who's*

Who here slightly bent edge?

>get drunk zero to a few times a year, and even then never enough to vomit, pass out, or even get hungover
>otherwise drink at most 2 drinks per weekend
>never done any other drugs, not even weed
>willing to have monogamous premarital sex in a long term relationship
>act generally moral in hope that there is some kind of God and heaven

You go to prison for possession, even if its your first offence? Find that hard to believe.

In the UK drugs have been effectively decriminalised since the late 1960s. If you're caught with a small amount of drugs, you get a informal caution. No criminal record, no paperwork, no nothing. Guess what has happened since we did that? Massive increase in drug use.

Look at Japan or South Korea, they have harsh, well enforced laws and drug taking is relatively low.

But of course this doesn't follow the liberal conventional wisdom that there's some "war on drugs". At least in the UK, it's a myth. To reduce drug use you have to tackle the source of demand with strong, reliably enforced punishments (like all crime).

I drink coffee, does that count?
I also like to take acid alone a few times a year to reflect on my current life situation.
So not really straight edge but I don't smoke or drink alcohol and I'm sober 360 days a year.

I'm straight edge as fuck, my squad refers to me as x Greefer X aka XG of Deadlift Mafia. S/O to the ill boys and all the homies in the scene (if you are a fake then go suck our cock just like your bitch did last night ar the party, all we gets twisted on IS pussy)
I'm into it mainly to smash straight edge pussy but I fuck around with normie sluts too if I'm feeling depraved. I also like to fight, so I'll call out a bitch ass nigga for smoking near me and lace him up in front of his squad. Sellouts too, if you sellout and we find out about it, we'll ruin your fucking degenerate life.
One last thing, PSA fuccbois, if you arent inked as sxe, YOU ARENT SXE you're just a fuck boi poser and we'll never accept you, even if you make the vow.

The problem in the US is that our black population uses and sells a disproportionately high amount of drugs, which causes anti-drug measures to be labeled racist and decriminalization to be hailed as social progress. I couldn't give a smaller shit about weed but reducing sentences for dealers of anything else is retarded.

>otherwise drink at most 2 drinks per weekend
>willing to have monogamous premarital sex in a long term relationship

What makes you think that you're even close?

Oh yeah forgot the whys.

Alcohol makes you low energy. If you don't admit it you're a borderline alcoholic in denial. It's like with fat people, they're so used to feeling like shit they think that's the norm. Same with alcohol, go for 3-4 weeks without it and you feel so much better. I enjoy good whiskey and good beer but it's just not worth it. Not simply the hangover but the low energy state it leaves me in. Also empty calories but that's a secondary reason.

Weed I used to smoke daily as a teenager and it wasn't very good for me. Made me lazy as fuck and like they said in that old South Park episode it makes you too happy doing nothing. I used to think I had ruined my dopamine whatevers since I could only enjoy video games and TV high. Turns out video games and TV are shit and weed just made me dumb enough to enjoy them. Threw away my TV years ago and stopped playing video games, suddenly didn't feel the need to get high either. I would probably still enjoy the sensation of being high, but it's all instant gratification. It's also not very suitable for my current hobbies.

I've tried other stuff but those are the only two I used regularly. I have no history of alcohol or drug abuse in my family.

that's not "almost straight edge" that's called "being an adult"
>even then never enough to vomit, pass out, or even get hungover
these things are for kids and uneducated trash

Maybe, but I'm still in college so the people I'm surrounded in make my values seem pretty extreme.

>my values seem pretty extreme

I think weed is more dangerous than people think. Smoke it from an early age and you increase your chances of psychosis/schizophrenia by 6 times, which is similar to the smoking/cancer risk. Smoke it chronically and you lower your IQ and increase your risk of violent behaviour.

Your point about the US seems legit, that is why I can't speak for the US because we don't have your racial issues (we have them, but they're different). The key is to interdict on supply *and* demand. We only do the former, which will do nothing to stop people taking drugs.

weed and psychosis is a meme.
it's true it makes you lethargic and lazy and stupid in the short term but the phycosis bit is just for weak minded people.

When I say extreme I mean on the traditional side of the spectrum

Weed really isn't that dangerous. It is linked to lower intelligence and bronchitis, which combined with the smell and lack of desire to be stoned all the time is why Ive never used it, but compared to any other illegal drug it's pretty safe. I think it's worse than moderate alcohol use, but getting drunk frequently is worse than getting high frequently.