Straps vs Mixed Grip

What are your thoughts on this?
I'm changing my routine to a more olympic style, but I want to keep deadlifts in. I feel like it can't hurt to introduce straps to one more lift.
Also, fuck off with the bicep tear bullshit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pZgxkE-2QAw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Straps - Cant use them in competition, they also are shit for your forearms and they will not get stronger.

Mixed Grip - Only for very heavy weight, even then enjoy your bicep tear.

Neither.

Quit being a faggot and grip the damn bar. Your fingers aren't going to fall off.

every day til you like it

youtube.com/watch?v=pZgxkE-2QAw

Hook grip.

Not OP, but i have a seriously weak grip
I'm ~145lb, but I've only been able to pull 235 overhand once. My DL sucks because of this. I've thrown in farmers walks and they've definitely helped, but prior to that I was just letting my dl stagnate because my grip wasn't where it should be

>can't use straps in competition
Fair point. If I were to use them, it would only be when my lack of grip causes a failed lift.

I really should try this some day, but doesn't that also not do much for your grip strength, while also being much more uncomfortable than using straps?

Your grip should get stronger as your deadlift gets stronger. Are you increasing your weights too quickly?

Double overhand.

The choice in OP's post is always assumed when double overhand no longer gets the job done.

Your right, hook grip doesn't do shit for your actual grip strength, but if you do get used to it hookgrip will far surpass any amount you can lift with a normal grip

Id only do it if you plan on being an elite level powerlifter or oly lifter or strongman

I wouldn't say so
235 after 10 months is really fucking slow
Part of my issue is that I was cutting for the majority of it and fucked around a bit as well
But either way, I can definitely pull more but my grip can't keep up. I think it's pretty normal for that to happen but mine gave out at baby weight because it was so bad to begin with

We all have our grip issues. I can pull 85% of my 1rm with double overhand, but my grip gives out before my set is done. Usually it will give out at 3 reps, at which point I quickly switch to mixed grip and continue for 2 more reps.

>We all have our grip issues.
Yeah, for sure, my point is that not switching to mixed, straps, hook etc can result in your DL suffering and stagnating

Ideally, we'd all use double over forever and get Popeye arms

It can't hurt, but using them when they aren't necessary doesn't really help either. Either learn to hook or live with using mixed grip. Beyond that it's just a matter of using straps when your hands are too weak or beat up to handle without them.

Hook grip hurts like a motherfucker at first, but it'll do as much for your grip as mixed does. Both of which do significantly more than straps will.

Also if you want a real Olympic style routine the deadlifts are going to have to go.

>tfw can do 3pl strapless double overhand easily

suitcase carries are doing wonders for both grip and obliques

Depends on what competition. Very few here probably competes in powerlifting(or anything).
Strongman allows them

Usually strongman allows them. Sometimes the promoter won't, particularly if they think that particular event should have a large grip component.

Deadlifts are the best thing for grip, farmers walks don't help even half as much.

Hold the last rep for as long as you can when doing double overhand and you'll see drastic improvements.

I don't suggest using mixed grip until above 3plate or something.

If you're not worried about competing, do whatever. Hell, even if you're competing, do whatever. It's unlikely that you'll have serious grip issues using a competition bar and either mixed or hook grip. Even if you do, you'd address that with actual grip work.

yea hold the weight as long as you can while youre tired from your workout so you can slip a disk for maximum hospital gains. so much broscience desu senpai

are you retarded, if you've already locked out how the fuck are you going to hurt yourself lmao all the pressure is on your grip.

Why not just use chalk?