Chiropractors - what do they do?

What do these guys do?

You pay £50, he tells you you have a tight upper back.

He manipulates your back and you hear a few cracks

You feel better

He tells you to come back every few months.

BUT what is happening? Is the cracking of joints actually helping or is it smoke and mirrors?

Other urls found in this thread:

whatstheharm.net/chiropractic.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>visiting a back shaman

My brother went, told me this story and I thought it was a waste of money.

People think they're having their spine realigned but I reckon it's just stretching the joints and cracking them.

Yeah, the cracking means fuck all.

I thought as much, if the vertebra were out of alignment, you'd be in pain or paralysed.

They claim it resets the muscle tone.

In reality your tight muscles do pull your joints out of alignment. However, cracking them to realign doesn't solve that issue. Hence why you then have to go back to have it redone over and over.

Chiropractors are scam artists. Go to a physical therapist if you actually need to get fixed.

Yeah, so people won't do some basic stretching to for their upper backs, but pay £50 to have some guy give them a placebo muscle crack.

>What do these guys do?
Peddle pseudoscience mostly. It's made up bullshit that at best has minimal effect beyond placebo.

There is zero conclusive proof that it's better than placebo.
But placebo is good: If it works for you, do it.
If you have back pain and this heals your back pain, do it.
You should probably change your lifestyle so you don't have a tight upper back anymore, but whatever.

> tight muscles
So getting a massage would be better.

So I actually saw one today. Free.

Pulled a muscle (I assumed) in my neck and shoulder. Hurt like hell to turn my head and everything from the neck to my right deltoid was super bunched up. Tried rolling it out but no Bueno.

Chiropractor adjusted my neck, spine, and shoulder. Instant relief and 100% within the hour.

I've got great help from one, but I'm also live in Northern Europe where the certified ones actually need to learn for something like 5-7 years and aren't quacks who claim to cure cancer.

Anyway, I got pretty bad back pain and pinched nerve that caused pain all the way down to the calf. I couldn't even walk or run properly. I got sorted in one session, pain was almost gone immediately (and get better over the next week). He also filmed my back during some exercises and pointed out the muscle imbalance that caused the problem in the first place. Now doing heavy squats and diddies again after sorting out imbalances and feeling great.

Also, the muscle tightness isn't a meme (at least not entirely). During the session he had me do an exercise and then adjusted some shit in my back and then repeat the exercise and then some more of that. My mobility got noticeably better and muscle engagement improved as well. He put markers on my back and filmed it and showed me the how it looked from behind. It made it very clear what is working how and where and what's lacking.

tl;dr - got piriformis, chiro helped me out

same here I got a lot of muscle tightness and a pinched nerve on my elbow and ankle after an injury in martial arts

live here in the philippines so we don't have certifications here we usually just go to the ones my family knows and they usually do it as a family trade which makes it a lot more trustworthy

it works I guess there are just a lot of fake ones out there which is pretty uncommon here desu

>all those people thinking the cracking are bones or muscles and not the little bulbs of gas

Smd guys

Nothing of value for you is what they do.

Had a seizure and was unconscious in hospital for a number of days. Woke up in the worst pain I've ever experienced. Discharged and chronic back pain for months making it impossible to stand for any more than 10 minutes. Decided to see chiropractor, who pretty much fixed it on the spot.

lol what happend?

Surprised chiropractors are even legal. It's a clear scam.

Just because you gotta repeat something over time doesn't make it not useful.

I mean, you do wipe your ass, right?

It's a scam. Cracking doesn't do shit, you have to stretch and that takes a month. Cracking just means you haven't had the flexibility or done that kind of movement. Everyone can crack their knuckles because they push it in, everyone can crack their back from turning it. My biggest pop was my shoulder because i was in a sling fr two weeks. It kept popping for a month when I was rehabbing it

>He actually wipes his ass

Anecdotal evidence-wise a chiropractor fixed my chronic lower back pain caused by a trip to snap city in 2/3 visits, sure I keep going back to see him every few months, but not because the pain is back... more just because he made me believe he knows what the fuck hes doing.

side note, the guy I see is the chiropractor for cirque de soleil/boston ballet/some famous actors and stage performers... so he may be slightly more legit than most.

There is a distinction between chiropractors that practice holistically (and tend to be based in America or taught there) and chiropractors that go through 5 years of university, have CPD expectations every year and are registered to an organisation like the BCA.

I agree that holistic chiropractors are shit and I wouldn't go to one in the states. The chiropractor I know in the UK did a neck adjustment on one of his patients and cured their tinnitus.

chiro fixed my shoulder impingment its legit

Don't they need to study to practice, like any other kind of doctor? There might be some legitimacy in that case. I haven't seen one without qualifications yet in my country though.

>implying licensure isn't a total fucking scam for most professions

Barbers require licenses. In some place DOG WALKERS need licenses.

But is it for this one? T b h I'm not sure which occupations which require licenses aren't a sham anymore after being told by a doctor that I had a a hairline fracture in my wrist to winding up requiring implants and bone grafting, and still winding up permanently losing flexibility.

>cured their tinnitus
how does that even work

It depends on the country. See post Often if people fail getting their degree in the UK (the AECC is the top chiro uni with it bring made up of 80% continentals or so) then they may go to the states to practice because the states is less regulated. That's why a lot of people bitch chiros out on this forum since there's a heavy american pop here and they deal with holistic chiros, not qualified, accredited ones.

Chiropractors are mostly scams

Cracking a joint provides temporary mobility boost in that joint, but it quickly fades

That's why some physiotherapists crack joints. They crack the joint and then capitalize on that mobility boost to provide lasting treatment (massage, stretching etc.)

Chiropractors cracking people's necks unnecessarily has been linked to causing strokes

Also the main theory chiropractic treatment is based on was debunked a long time ago

Only go to chiros based on personal recommendations from close friends/family. If they're tightly involved with a higher-tier sports club they're probably very legit and will genuinely help you. Some are just pure scam tho.

I asked my partner and he said it can be to do with cervical nerves, they can be pinched or inflamed which causes the ringing/tinnitus. Same can happen for headaches or constant migraines that he's done adjustments to fix. They're known as back doctors but they do a lot more.

As good as they are, a lot of chiropractors develop god complexes.

Can a chiropractor fix my leg length imbalance?

That's the job of an orthopedist you tit

I thought they only did mouth and jaw?

whatstheharm.net/chiropractic.html

They're scam artists. Chiropractors aren't actual health professionals and their work isn't regulated or based on actual science like for example physiotherapy, medicine, nursing, psychology and such.

You're a fucking retard

I go to my naprapath because he can usually tell me what's causing my pain and what I can do about it. If the cracking itself does anything fuck if I know.

Can a chiropractor fix that?

Glorified massage with a risk of lifelong paralysis.

I am satan

Fuck wait now I'm satan

Shitty balls just let me be satan

checked

>Entrusting your health to someone who isn't a certified medical expert who spent multiple years studying the human body on a high level at a good university
>The year of the lord twothousand and sixteen
Might as well do crack

Hi double Satan

Thank you for for acknowledging my power.

Also reminder: God is a gainz goblin

checked

how have chiropractors been able to cultivate this illusion that they are real medical professionals and basically back-doctors when they in reality are little more than crystal healers?

based satan

but a massage fills that need while also having real benefits and being more relaxing.

plus no one gets injured unlike with chiropractors

>entrusting your SPINE to said person
if some rando with no degree wants to put crystals on my head and "heal" me thats alright

if some guy is messing around with my spine that's different.
my cousin's brother in law had a stroke because of a chiropractor fuckup.

LEAVE İT BEHIND
C'MON

When I've gone, they've always done the cracking thing and then hooked me up to that massage machine where they attach electrodes to your back. It feels fucking godly after, but I'm pretty sure it's just a cheap massage and I could probably simulate it at home if I bothered looking for the machine.