/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>Is someone here in the Olympics edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspot.sk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq

>helpful blogs:
yashathoughts.com
pentupwl.files.wordpress.com/

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

>youtube stuff:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLfIeSgSBSoCJpz57KfVoqp4K4AeSFAfD
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLotmoPX6Kq0WJH2uws60250m1YTtg3j8Q

>prev thred

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fMJ0oYy8iuE
instagram.com/p/BKIwg8sh7LL/
instagram.com/p/BKIxRkghogu/
instagram.com/p/BKHoRQyANXD/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

hey pas what was wrong with your hip when you couldn't lift for like a year
asking for a friend :^)

idk, it just went away after a while
something to do with SI joint i think

ye
did you rehab it at all? how long were you out of action

ye, i did everything i could find related to pain around there and tried relearning squatting technique, idk what if anything helped it in the end
6 months i think, id recommend him just stick to his training plan and whenever theres any kind of bad feeling change or skip the exercise causing it

thanks
wasn't actually asking for a friend btw, I just have had hip pain for a couple months and can't maintain lumbar extension under load

:)
maybe stop trying to maintain lumbar extension

Where the sticky stuff

If I snatch at my hips, my wrists eventually start hurting from having my grip too wide and my hands bending inwards.
If I snatch at my upper thigh, my wrists don't hurt since my arms under the bar are closer to perpendicular and can support the weight better, but it's harder to bring the bar up compared to hip snatching. What do I do?

bend arms

dont hyperextend ur hips
dont sit so much
get glutes firing

ye been doing this annoying exercise where I grip a medicine ball between knees and thrust hips to full glute flexion

hoping it does the trick

>full glute flexion
????????????

As opposed to extension.

Today i talked wiht my new oly gym and i'll start asap. i haven't been so happy and excited in a damn while. OLYMPUS HERE I COME!!!

I'll take a weightlifting course next month and see if I like it

Same here man.

anyone have their USAW cert?
is it worth it?

CUMMING OUT OF MY DUCK AAAAAAAAAAAH

i'm going for some records soon hehe

it'll be cutting it close though

Retarded question : do you grip the bar in your fingers or your palm in the first and second pulls?

stay strong commi

use hookgrip

As I get close to masters age, if I can't fix my creaky hips shall I just get strong as fuck and just get a beast power snatch?

Of course, but does the bar rest in the palm or in the fingers? As in do you let the bar rest in the base of your fingers, or above them more twowards the palm.

what's wrong with your hips and what have you done to fix it

i literally don't know why you'd waste any time thinking about this. as long as the thumb is hooked in nice and tight, it's fine. i've never thought about anything other than the thumb placement

Just very inflexible and I've had a lifelong imbalance in them making them twist slightly. Mobility is getting better so I think I will be ok. The biggest issue is I've ingrained a high catch because I didn't take things srirously when I started so when the weights get heavy I go back to powering which is counter intuitive.

Stop going heavier than you can do with the technique you want
Do unilateral leg work
Stretch

you can pay me later

Pas what do you recommend for someone who can only train 3x a week

>inb4 find a way to train more than 3x a week

My biggest goal is to just get raw strength up, squat, pull, and build muscle.

no more loli

this is blueshoes

what ever happened to trappy

youtube.com/watch?v=fMJ0oYy8iuE

going to restart oly lifting in like 2 weeks. havent had a set routine for months since i havent had time to commit. thinking of following pic related for routine. had doesnt gainz the the first time i did it, but i want to run at least 3 times a week and not sure where to work it in to maximize my gainz

i also was thinking rest days where i dont hit the gym at all

what the fuck are you getting at?

are you implying that the bar might rest in the curl of your fingers and not touch your palms at all?

nigga, take the bar in your hand, tuck your thumb, and squeeze it tight. There's your grip.

What does the '+1' in 5x2+1 mean?

solid lift today lads. I've been working beltless more and more, and I'm starting to get a lot better at it. finished with some clean pulls and front squats

2 reps of the first lift, 1 of the second.

so for clean & jerk; 2 cleans and 1 jerk

5 means the amount of seconds it should take per lift. Twice plus 1 cuz your coach hates you

something like
week 1
mon sn/pull/press/bb
wed sq/jerk dip or rack hold/core
fri cj/pull/press/bb
week 2
mon sn/sq/press/bb
wed pull/core
fri cj/sq/press/bb
or
m/w/f alternate sn/cj
sq 2 days then pull 2 days or something
press mon/fri
bb and core reasonably often

The biggest issue is even with light weights I'm still catching high and riding it in. My body just doesn't allow me to move that way

catch high and riding it down isnt rly bad, you just need to smooth it out over time

Did power cleans for the first time ever today. Tried with empty bar and 10s on each side. How do I get around the feeling that im going to launch the bar into my chin? Im getting too much action from my arms because I feel like I need to control the bar to avoid hitting my face.

Gonna join weightlifting gym today. How fucked am I?

On a related note, should I get 3 times a week or 4 times a week membership as an untrained beginner?

SS is 3 times a week, but I don't know how weightlifting differs from strength training.

Thanks.

I was thinking of
day 1: cj/sn pull/another pull for highrep/all the rest
day 2: snatch/front squat/another squat for higgrep/the rest
day 3: snatch/cj/back squat/clean pull/the rest

then next week switch them and do

day 1: sn/clean pull/another pull/the rest
day 2: clean/back squat/another squat/the rest
day 3: cj/snatch/front squat/snatch pull/the rest

The opposite kind of pull is done as the lift on that day so you practice the pull more often. Seems reasonable.

Not sure I'll do regular press heavy because of shoulders. I'm comfortable doing push press however.

I tried this and didn't really enjoy it
felt way better when I put squat/fs on non-classics days and put classics/pulls together instead

id prefer doing the same pull as the lift i just did
overall it doesnt really matter as long as you sn/cj squat and pull

I'm v smooth now with 70-80ish% just gotta get quicker under and as tspine flexibility gets better should stop me missing bigger weights... Shoulders tend to round over in the bottom when it's heavy

PRs keep rolling along famalam.

145.5 for cnj PR
instagram.com/p/BKIwg8sh7LL/

Then hit 152 for a clean PR but couldn't quite stick the jerk
instagram.com/p/BKIxRkghogu/

Also bodyweight has finally filled out to 105 which is real fucken neato

>owg
>Olyboos weightlifting general

Due to shoulder problems, I can't bench press. Would split jerks be a good replacement for them? I just unrack it from the squat rack. I have been lifting for about 3 weeks, doing
A:
Overhead Press 3x5x75
Front Squat 3x5x165
Chin Ups 3x5x2.5
Rear delt flies 3x12x15
B:
Front Squat 3x5
Cable Rows 3x8
Dips 3x5x2.5

Deadlift one day a week 3x2x240

All weights in lbs

I was doing Bench press on B, but once I get to around 150 lbs it makes my shoulders hurt. I have been using linear progression, no stalls yet. I weigh 170-175 lbs, and I ran starting strength about a year and a half ago, but havent lifted since. I tested my max for jerks the other day and hit 185 lbs, but didn't feel like I could go any higher.

no
fix your bench tech
see a physio
do rehab work

I have no problem with any other exercises, it is only Bench press.
Is Bench pressing absolutely necessary?

Bb is what

Bb is what

Not him but probably bodybuilding.

What is your vertical jump /owg/?

Any of you test that for shits and giggles?

Idk but I out jumped everyone at my gym but then again most of them were chubby people doing circuit classes

Can box jump to atleast my nips maybe my shoulders not tested properly for a while

I think my broad jump is more impressive

only use as much strength as you need to.

also, this exercise helped me learn how to use my arms and not pull too high.

instagram.com/p/BKHoRQyANXD/

whats your broad jump u fuck

60" with approach
54"ish seated