Jobs/careers of Veeky Forums

Currently in a community college trying to decide on major/career path. So Veeky Forums, what's your job? Bonus points for jobs that keep you in shape. Advice in what to major in more than welcome.

I just work in a factory.
Might go back to college when I figure out what exactly I want to do.

Anything related to fitness. But remember it's 100% networking. Just start using peds get huge and make money

I'm CEO, CTO, Co-Founder, and executive assistant of 3 different companies and I make $1m per annum in stock options.

If you have a physical job, you might not have energy for lifting or you might have a hard time eating enough.
Get a degree in computer science or engineering if you want a good paying job

I work in a stupid fucking pizza shop and the place is so tiny and shitty. The building needs to be fucking burnt down so they can rebuild it as a real restaurant. We use a fucking butane camping stove which the fire marshall looks the other way on. Nothing in the place works right. It's impossible to keep decent help and the place has so many little quirks about it that training people is a bitch.

Wish something else would fall in my lap for $550 a week or better. Maybe without the 80 hours a week

You are going to get "Im doing this money" "My parents did this so I am following that" Bleh Bleh Bleh.

I am becoming a cop. Descent pay good bennies tons of chances for overtime and a good retirement plus it will allow me to move into federal law enforcement. If you like a fitness lifestyle do a job where you can implement it and with others who will be interested in it too. I am majoring in MIS however but will never use my major.

Dont listen to people like this retarded shit

And this is a pipe dream which is equally as retarded.

Yes join an over saturated market!

I'm a welder. Make okay money right off the bat. Maybe in the future I'll shoot for some specialty stuff, but right now I'm just doing factory bullshit. I work 4 10s and have 3 days off. I like it.

Yes yes, don't major in this

it's uh oversaturated we're full

I've done a whole bunch of low-level menial jobs. Casual labouring, cashier, IT support, whatever. Right now I'm just volunteering at some small place.

Honestly most jobs are pretty okay. Just don't ever, ever do fucking hospitality.You're so fucking expendable and inconsequential to management that it's unbearable. If I had a choice between hospitality and homelessness again I'd get it over with and eat a bullet.

Premed EMS. A job you'd expect to be super fit, but half of my peers are super morbids.

help desk

cant stop being late

have to be there in 9.4 hours

2 more tardies and i could be fired

cant find another job until finish school in june

cant get promoted because of tardies

moving home in november because afraid ill be fired and unable to pay another 6 months rent

just kill yourself before college ends

3rd year physical therapy student

there is only 1 fat person in my class of 60+, but thats because shes a nigger

I have my own small business where I get to have carpal tunnel and make costumes for weeaboos. At least I get to stay home and make my own hours, I guess. My commissions more than pay the bills. I did my undergrad in something useless unless you pursue grad school, but I didn't go to grad school for a ton of different reasons. Best advice I can give is to network, because I have a lot of friends who went to great schools and got great grades but a settling in lower paying, unrelated jobs.

>nigger
go back to /pol/
>hurrdurr im so edgy i say nigger on Veeky Forums

u mad bro?

are you actually in PT school? or just an undergrad

Found the nigger

Currently working 60 hours a week as a CNA working myself like a field nigger.

Am looking at going to college for Nursing but the more and more I watch colleges go full retard and then have the audacity to jack up their rates and force people into useless classes just to finish their degree the less I'm interested. I'm beginning to start looking at trade school because I can still live comfortably working a trade and I get to be a good little autist and work with my hands.

Grad PT school

KEK

back2africa

praise Him every day

Firefighter isn't a fit job. I'm a career firefighter and I'm fit but there is nothing within the job that forces me to stay fit. Most of the guys I work with are severely overweight. Maybe this is different for volunteers but salaried firefighters are usually lazy fucks.

so this is your final year then you have your year rotation aftrwards

Final year! My clinical rotations are dispersed over the summer breaks and in spring semester.

There are no extra "rotations" after three years of PT school unless you applied and were accepted into a residency program.

Treat anything like a job and you'll never be any good at it.

what environment do you plan to go into? inpatient, outpatient, skilled nursing, what other bullshit is there, sports?

I work on ambulances and do daily checks on them.

I make sure they are maintained and stocked to go out. It's alright, shitty pay($11) but I'm looking into getting my EMT cert soon.

Eat shit, nigger

Well just got accepted into the apprenticeship program for a union job where I'll be making $31.10/H doing easy work so I'm stoked for that

Used to do computers but I hated the job. Now I am a High School teacher. 2nd year and I make $70K with good bennies, that goes up consistently. Work just 180 work days a year!

Whatever, honestly do what you like as long as you can get a job and it pays enough to keep you happy. People told me Computers would be so awesome and I ended up fucking hating it. I'm sure it's a great job for some people, it really depends on who you are. Money isn't everything.

Go join your cousin Harambe

work at a big4 public accounting firm, they overwork you to death, it nice though since my school is a non-target and my perceived status has increased because i got a job offer there among the accounting girls. Still need that body though or else i won't be happy.

do you try to implement memes and other internet shit into your teaching/lesson plans to reech the keeeds?

Im still undecided to be honest as I have only completed several weeks rotation at outpatient ortho and outpatient neuro. I have two more 11 week rotations, one in an acute care setting and another in inpatient rehab. I am waiting until I complete all my experiences before I decide.

Between ortho and neuro, they both have positives and negatives. If you happen to work in private practice OP ortho, you will have to manage 2-3 patients an hour as many places are being run like mills. In neuro, you have just 1 patient an hour for 5-6 total daily, but the patients are much more complex and the pay rate may not be as high.

As far as other settings you can do women's health, sports, pediatrics, geriatrics, cardiopulmonary.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask

Why do people assume the word originated from /pol/? Are they unaware there are actual racist people in the world?

How'd you go about doing this? I want to get into one but I'm not sure where to start, did you get the cert for the labor right off the bat or were you fresh out of highschool?

i did an internship at an outpatient PT clinic and it seemed like such bullshit. it seems almost like "fake" physical therapy to see these normal people come off the street and just get some stretches and exercise then leave.

inpatient hospitals and nursing homes (at least short term care) seem to provide way more actual "physical therapy". doing transfers, actually helping people to walk again, helping the older people re-integrate back into normal life

i know i'm just grossly stereotyping shit from a few years of volunteer work,but thats just what ive seen

I started as a intern with an engineering firm doing construction materials testing and, realizing that I was making the same with the degree or without, I stuck around.

Since then, I have moved on to doing other things and am the interim manager for one of the offices, but I can't complain too much about basic technician position.

Your mileage may vary. There are some shit PTs who do alot of passive modalities, like E-stim, hot packs, cold packs and put their patients through generic exercises. These are the clinics that are run like mills. If you see alot of PTs doing stupid non evidenced based shit like lumbar traction, PNF stretching, you can be certain that the clinic isnt run well.

As far as "legit" PT you will definitely see better treatments in the acute or neuro setting. I had to create some rather unique, creative, and engaging treatment plans that wouldn't be of much use in the ortho world. Also, the treatment plans were much more functional based as you are describing.

In the acute setting, your initial evaluation is to help decide discharge destination: home with caregiver, SNF, IP rehab, etc. This is where you will really focus on functional training such as gait, transfers, bed mobility, etc

The same could be said in neuro in some cases as many pts are focused on fall prevention, balance, activity safety.

yeah the outpatient clinic i was at seemed to basically be run like a "mill". it would get a number of interns from the local university (i.e. me) and we would basically do e-stim, cold packs, hot packs, ultrasound on the patients

and then they had "advanced" interns who would basically do entire exercise programs with patients in addition to modalities

and after graduating from college i was looking at getting a job as a physical therapy aide in local outpatient clinics and they were basically all the same. the aide would do modalities and run an exercise program so more patients could get seen, which is apparently illegal to even do

are all outpatients run like this?

Well I applied for it right out of highschool and didn't get it but they have intakes for applications every 2 years and I applied again a few months ago and luckily they accepted me.. Best bet is to look up local unions in your area and go down to the union hall and talk with someone.. I applied for the teamsters and I got in so I'm lucky. Shit I'm only 20 and the benefits are great along with the pay and work so I'm pretty excited.

Alot of outpatient clinics will be run like that, but there are some that really focus on the patient as an entirety versus only impairments. With reimbursements for treatments remaining static, many private practices are pressured to take on higher caseloads to meet their bottom end. As a student and future PT, your responsibility is to make sure that even if the clinic mandates such productivity, you still try your best to provide more optimal evidenced based care.

The legality of whether a volunteer or PT aide can run patients through exercises is dependent on state rules. Generally, this would be the job of a PT assistant and your responsibility would be clerical or cleaning work areas.

Fear not though this isn't pharmacy! While the majority of PTs will enter op ortho, PT is one of the fastest growing and demanding career fields so you will be able to be selective about where you want to work.

Aw well good for you man, good luck I hope It goes well for you and thanks!

I am a server at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

>PIZZA
>CHAD CONFIRMED

I majored in Math & MechE w/ a focus on AeroE and I help build rockets now. My work isn't particularly physical but our main building is a few hundred thousand square feet and we're one of the few (maybe only) launch vehicle manufacturers who's engineering and production floors are all housed under the same roof, so at least I get a chance to walk around a lot during the day rather than just sit at my desk. Plus, I get to travel to launch/test sites for inspections which gets me outdoors fairly often.

I can't give you much advice on a major without knowing what your interests are. If you have any interest or aptitude for STEM, that is something worth pursuing. At the very least you should be able to land a decent middle class job unless you're totally incompetent or an asshole. Also, you should take advantage of the fact that you're going to CC. It might not seem like an advantage right now, but it's actually much easier to take a large variety of classes at a CC rather than a four year institution to get an idea of what you're passionate about.

I also work with tons of very skilled trades people who are pretty well compensated despite not having a college degree. I know a lot of CC's have great trades programs. If you want to get into MechE and you can pick up a trade skill like welding or machining along the way, it is an enormous advantage against other engineers.

Im a school teacher. Kid drew me up on the board

> tfw old enough to come to the realisation all jobs are unfulfilling are require you to execute protocol rather than use any of your own critical thinking.

fuck

I'm tutoring several kids for $1,000 to $1,500 a month, depending on hours. Usually about 10 hours a week of tutoring.

Living with my parents rent-free, so most of the money goes right into the bank. Going to return to college to finish the last 1 1/2 years of my engineering degree, then move the fuck out of this town.

>the top 3 cities in the nation with worst air pollution are in my county/adjacent, my city is one of them
>my city is also top 3 in the nation for teen pregnancy
>my state ACTUALLY elected the governator into office above the 3rd largest economy in the world
>illegal immigrants hop the border and work hard, then their kids turn into cholos and shit all over everything
>everything costs too much for the place being such a shithole
>natural flora is scrubs and brush, semi-arid climate with a shitton of dust
>only nice place to live in california is on the coastline, and it's infested with liberal yahoos

If I stay in the states, it'll probably be Oregon or Washington. If out of states, probably Western Europe.

how can you pick up a trade skill like that while you are in school, or while you are beginning your career?

Can you pick up a few welding certificates/machining equivalents during summer break?

are you a pirate user?

It's definitely not a quick thing to do while you're already in school for a degree or working. You can do a good intro course in welding or machining during the summer but to pick up the more valuable certs will take 1-2 years at a CC doing night or weekend classes.

It's worth it imo.

Fuck off you stupid nigger loving piece of shit
..|..

What subject do u teach?

Joining the police too, better pay than military..
Also training for tree surgery fucking chop this fuckers into fucking pieces

Going to community college for free, working on accounting associates, want to be a crooked bookkeeper like Frank Reynolds. Wolf cola type shit.

Kys nigger

I think that physically demanding careers can interfere with your training.

Eg you join the military
You get shit food and way too little of it, you have to run and do calisthenics, get little to no rest/sleep at times etc

This can kill your gains or at least make it harder to achieve training success

So I would decide what is more important for you: A physically demanding job where you do manual work for a living that may harm your training
or a Job thats not Veeky Forums but lets you train your own way and doesnt interfere with your gainz eg boring office job or whatever

Or you combine the too, and join the military/ the police/ the firefighters for a limited period of time like the 4 year standard contract and decide after that what to do next

Im talking about Bodybuilding/strength Training here
If youre a runner or whatever it doesnt matter at all

Im a student right now, but i will probably throw down, because im right now in the process of enlisting

At uni I just met a combat controller in the airforce a few days ago. Dude was 5'6 tops, 40ish yrs old, an the strongest looking dude I've ever talked to. Seriously considering a similar career right now.

Country?

I'm in Consulting.

It's good work, kind of forces you to keep your life in order if you want to live well.

Then go for it

But consider that he may be roiding and that you are not him

Some guys have a easier time getting big, even under harsh conditions for training like some professions in the military

If youre a genetic failure for lifting, than making it even harder fucks your gains

But anyway, just go for it and adapt accordingly
Like cutting down on leg work if you run 5 times/week

There enough swole guys in the army to prove that it doesnt fuck you up that bad

City letter carrier I make 60k a year and walk 6 miles through out the day so bulking blows but cutting is a breeze.

What kind of consulting do you do ? And why does it force you to keep your life in order ?

>High School teacher
How can you handle being around all the sweet teen puss, breh?

Germany

thats because cct is airforces sof, and their unit will have very little oversight of what he is doing

I'm a god damn oral hygienist kek

currently studying comsci but i'm currently looking for a school that offers PE then take a master's degree in Sports Science

im a mechatronics engineer for cryogenic technology.

its always fucking cold and i have to work in winter when its raining and shit.

but good money and i hate office jobs, so yeah

I'm a firefighter but I'm going to retire soon. I had my moment of fame, the thing I trained for body and mind, and it left me scared shitless.

Found out real quick I probably don't have what it takes to be a firefighter.
>generic fire in generic building
>so cliched I can't even
>landowner states there might be 1-2 more people inside
>this is it
>this is what I trained for
>find out real quick actually charging in to a building on fire is fucking insane
>heart feels like it's going to explode despite tons of cardio and weight lifting
>make a stupid mistake of opening a door and having a heat wave blast me on my ass
>piss myself
>find the some old lady passed out
>getting ready to go, hear a cry
>it's a fucking baby
>no one else with me
>decide to take both lmao2ppl
>awkward as fuck and only make it to the door
>bro comes and helps out thank god, tell him to take the baby and run
>carry grandma out
>realization hits, extreme disassociation, feels like I'm not even on this planet anymore

I don't know if I can do it again. I felt good about what I did but holy shit it scares me thinking I'll willingly charge in to a building on fire once more.

forensic investigator

>go to scene of unnatural death
>collect evidence
>photograph scene
>prepare cadaver for transport to morgue
>drive back to morgue
>paperwork
>wait for MD to call me to suite
>scrub up
>do autopsy
>paperwork
>repeat

>consulting
>good work

Unless you are at a niche firm that caters to one specific industry with deep experience in that industry (I mean veterans, not some MBA that worked biopharm for 3 years and is now an "expert"), it is deluded to call it good work. Good money? Yes. Requires discipline? Yes. Adds value, does good? No.

don't give up a cs degree for that

You're an actual hero, and that's why you get paid,

Holy shit.

I'm currently doing a pre-apprenticeship course at college which could get me a job placement in a construction company within a year, assuming everything goes right.

Sounds bullshit

Lone babies is the most unlikely scenario I could ever think of

Like a mother wouldnt grab that shit first and get out

I get that. I really do.
Being a firefighter was my dream. In elementary school we had firefighters come and show us their gear. The let us put the gear on and try to run as far as we could without stopping. Had a huge presentation, it left a deep impression on me.
I asked one of them after what it takes to be a firefighter. Was expecting to get a generic answer he probably always gives.
But he leaned down and said "a lot of determination and a big set of balls". It just felt so genuine.
I trained for years, all during high school and after. Did everything to hone myself. But it didn't truly prepare me for reality.

Baby was with granny friendo. Probably watching for mom.

Security at a hotel

Just got a job at a daycare. Hoping it'll look good on my resume when I finish up my bachelor's and start trying to get a government job working as a social worker.

stripper

The baby was with the old lady (baby sitter/grandma?) mother could have been out

I have a similar plan but am debating if I should do EMT over CNA for work experience, which would be better to secure a job as a nurse as soon as a finish school?

Lots of veteran firefighters propably felt similar feelings about their first fire. Maybe you could talk to your coworkers over a beer or something?

I think you handled yourself fantastically. Someone with less integrity could have let his fear get the better of him and just run away from the victims.

Cheers to you mate.

I'm thinking about switching from uni to leo-school. Most likely gonna apply next spring.

I was thinking the same thing. I might get around to doing that. Really on the edge of staying or not, but I feel I need to find my determination since it's literally a matter of life and death for others and myself.

dude my parents are from mexico and it's fucking atrocious to see how many of my hispanic american classmates turned into wannabe cholos
> WHAT I DO I DO FOR LA RAZA
>WHERE'S MY WELFARE HOMES?
I fucking swear, our parents left those shithole countries to give us a better life and then some of us went and tattoo'ed our faces and became disappointments.

lmao you will get plenty of food in the military, and the US government has spent shitloads of money making sure it's exactly what you need to stay in shape

If you actually do something cool like go infantry/specops, yeah you might have some rough spots in training or deployments with poor access to weights, not much food, lots of cardio... but on the whole, there's no easier place to get fuarkin huge

I'm Brazilian living in the U.S. Lived here my entire life, since I was 1 yr old. Not a citizen but i'm allowed to work and such, just get no benefits from the government.
>tfw have to work to pay for school
>tfw no FAFSA or anything else to help
Then there are Americans with all of that who piss it away, makes me so fucking salty. Whatever, if Trump actually wins i'll probably get booted, all my hopes and dreams down the drain and i'll just end up killing myself. Fucking bullshit if you ask me, I can speak Portuguese but not as fluent as I should, plus Brazil is a shit hole anyways. Not looking good familia.

Liberal detected

>plumbing
>making 70k
>mfw people think its bad pay

I pick up dead people with plans to go back to school for embalming. Jobs plenty physical, but slow in the summer. Pay is decent as a removal tech, and gets better at embalmer. You can live comfortably, but you'll never be rich. Considering joining the military to get the GI bill as well and go back to school for ME.

I'm an electrical lineman. We climb poles and towers, and work live high voltage power.lines. Can't be afraid of heights, and can't be afraid of horrific burns / death.

I just had a pad mounted underground transformer expload 3 ft from my face.

A dude at the next service station just make contact with 7600 volts, in through his elbow and out his knee, will likely lose both, but probably will survive.

I.make roughly 60 to 90k a year, and lead men make 130 to 200 per year, depending on overtime. I've worked 90 hour weeks this year, but average 50 hours per week.

When we have to climb, it's physically hard, but a good amount of the time we work out of bucket lifts. Oh, but we wear rubber gloves and sleeves, in humid 97 degree heat. That sucks. I've been hit with 120v like, 50 times lol.

What do you look like? I'm a US citizen about to move to Brazil, we could swap identities senpai

Occupational therapist. Make just under 80k.

Part time farm hand.
It's alright, some various gains to be had, but a bit too tiring and calorie burning on certain days as well. I like the animals (pigs) though, they're pretty fun and qt.

EMT gives way more options friend. CNA is only good for becoming LVN/LPN. Go straight for RN if you want nursing. I just got laid off as LVN, they are replacing us with the much more affordable Medical Assistants.