QTDDTOT

you know the drill

Cutting ex-fatty: 5'11" 173 18% BF been cutting at 1200cal/day

I had a shit day.

Got up for a free job that was only supposed to be 9 hours (which they asked me to come to early anyhow) and was basically unneeded the whole day. My fucking rest day wasted. Wrapped two hours later than scheduled and just sat around bored for most of it.

My folks didn't even cook dinner that night so I didn't have anything to eat when I got home at like 9:30 PM so I just ate to my maintenance in junk food from the local 7/11.

If I did go over my maintenance it was only 100 or 200 calories. Will this fuck me up this week?

>progressing on squat
>progressing on DL
>progressing on OHP
>bench has been stalled for two months

im heading out to the gym in a few hours and would love some advice on getting through this plateau

Running or swimming for cardio gainz?

Also, dinner then sleep or should i eat last meal a couple of hours before, then in the morning should I eat breakfast then go to the gym or go to the gym then breakfast?

How heavy should I lift if I went on a long hiatus from lifting?

It won't fuck you up but that doesn't mean it wasn't stupid to do. You should keep a few tupperwares in the fridge of stuff you can microwave like beans, chicken, etc.

really want to lift today but is rest day.

Yesterday was pull day (skipped deadlift though, maybe i can deadlift today??)
Day before was push day, but it was an emphasis on bench.

Can i go in and do deadlifts, delt work, and maybe some calf and trap isolations, or will that fuck my gains?

I usually do, my folks ate them. And yeah it was dumb, I'm back on 1200 a day tomorrow morning, followed by working out 6 days a week.

I'm cutting and only eating around 300-800 calories daily.

I've heard it's dangerous to cut on this low calories but i feel fine and have been doing it for 2 weeks now.

Will something bad happen to me eventually if i keep eating like this?

I'm 180cm 74kg (skinnyfat)

>If I did go over my maintenance it was only 100 or 200 calories. Will this fuck me up this week?

Not really, just add an extra 200 to tomorrow's deficit. It happens to all of us sometimes.

Start small work big, if you aren't sure, scale it back a little.

Never eat right before bed, and never skip breakfast. Just give it a while after you eat so you don't have a brick in your stomach while lifting.

If you figure it out let me know, I'm having the same problem. Not entirely sure it's not mental though.

depends on what you mean by hiatus.

If you mean 3 weeks, you'll probably want to deload by 10 pounds or so just to be safe.

If you mean 3 months, probably start at half your 1RM and work your way up from there.

If you mean 3 years, the bar.

Anything wrong with taking creatine in pill form?

>3 months

I guess it's time for a bit of calisthenics then..

Don't do that

>Will something bad happen to me eventually if i keep eating like this?
yes, don't eat that low dumbass. You HAVE to eat at-least half your TDEE if you don't want to seriously fuck up your metabolism and energy levels.

What you're doing is a crash diet, and it's not gonna work. Just do a normal deficit and appreciate the fact that you're losing anything.

The price? Creatine is creatine.

>its time for the my kind is better than your kind shitshow

It's probably technique. If your press is consistently going up then you're getting stronger in the muscles required for a better bench, so the issue is more likely related to the actual execution of your bench press than your training.

Why are you cutting at 180cm 74kg?

> you don't want to seriously fuck up your metabolism and energy levels.

What happens exactly when you fuck those up?

I took creatine in (self-made) pill form since my mom has a machine to make capsules.

It worked pretty well. I got the pump. No ill effects that I could sense.

your sleep schedule gets worse, you don't have the energy for normal activity and workouts, you lack nutrients, etc.

don't fucking eat that low dumbass.

Is it possible to lose 5lb of muscle mass in a week of not goin to the gym?

no unless you're literally starving yourself of any and all nutrition and even then I think 5 pounds of muscle is a bit excessive.

how bad is working out everyday?

Fine if you program it correctly and have your non-lifting stuff in check.

Most people won't do that.

Coolio then I guess I've just been over estimating my weight a little too hard

Does creatine mono help bulking?

It gives you a little bit more muscular endurance.

>found out about creatine - beta alani magic for the first time
>hyped as fuck, can't wait to buy them
>realised that you can go bald from that shit
>scared as shit

im not going to make it

if you don't have a history of balding in your family you'll likely be fine.

Even then the results are not conclusive towards or against creatine effecting hair loss.

>It's probably technique.
possibly - ive decided to deload a bit and will work my way back up gradually. its frustrating that im making OHP gains but cant put a single pound on my bench.

>just did 20 minutes of DBs
>feel sick
How do I stop feeling so sick after exercising

skelly who started lifting here
I have pectus and I think it looks like shit
should I even train chest? I don't want it to look like boobies. I think it already got worse...
no $$ for surgery.
looks different depending on the light

What are the absolute easiest vegetables to cram into me that will cover general nutrition isn't spinach/cucumber/fucking sweet potato.

How necessary are refeed days on a cut?

Is lifting in converse a meme? I've been squatting/deadlifting in socks, but I don't think my new gym allows that.

Nope the flat bottom of converse helps with things like squats

Training the chest is what you need to be doing. Do lots of push ups and deep breathing exercises.

99% sure that your form sucks. I was in the same position until I fixed my form and now my bench is my best lift.

What do you do when you stop progressing?
I'm just doing some exercises so my frail programmer body doesn't atrophy so I mainly do body weight stuff, mostly pull-ups and chin-ups. At first it was easy to progress, I couldn't do a single pull-up when I started, now I can do about 10 but I haven't been able to increase my reps for a while now. What should I do?

Thanks. But also, I squat high bar 2pl8, and everyone recommends raised heels for high bar. Will I get into trouble later on with a flat sole?

When it comes to squatting with raised heel or flat heel it all comes down to preference more than anything. Try out both and see how it feels.

>lindybeight is an acadamic and hates vegans
Never thought I'd find out about this on Veeky Forums.

>*lindybeige

Bench more and check your form. Practice makes perfect.

By 'the pump' you mean you had a slight increase in water weight right?

If you're recovery is good then nothing is wrong with it. Eat well, vary your intensity across the week and make sure you get plenty of sleep.

It generally just helps you lift more at higher intensity when fatigued. Basically it'll help with the last couple of reps of your final working set.

Depends if you are stalling despite sticking to your calorie deficit. Cutting can cause water retention which a refeed will stop.

Do a proper callisthenics program which details progression.

Flat shoes are fine for squatting if your ankle mobility is good. Raised heels help if you have less good ankle mobility.

I have lost 20 kg through hardcore diet, and today I'll start gym. Do I achieve anything with no supplement, only fruit, vegetables, eggs and chicken meat?

Also I'm starting gym with my gf. What exercises to do to make her think I'm hot?

I have hidradenitis suppurativa in my groin/thighs. I was waiting until i was able to go to a doctor, which is either tomorrow or after it because it's when i ''might''' receive my wage, but i want to lift. Thing is, a huge abcess has formed in my groin and it's painful as fuck to even attempt to walk. Should i even try to go to the gym? I just now tried to open the thing myself with a nice to drain the pus, but the pain was just too much and i felt like i could get an infection this way.

I only eat oats, bananas, rice, chicken, sweet potatoes, brocolli, and a protein shake each day but I'm still gaining fat at an unproportionate amount. I work out nearly every day but I still feel like I'm gaining more fat than muscle. It just sort of builds up around my abdomen and is starting to cover up my V cut.

What am I doing wrong?

I've got a cold but it's not that bad, should I still go to the gym or sit this one out?

Thanks for the response I am and in regards to the water retention I'm doing keto and also taking creatine, would that extra water retention happen without the carbs and would it add onto the creatines water retention?

I want to start eating more beef because it boosts test and im getting sick of chicken, what's are the most economic cuts i can get?

Didnt lift all summer because I didn't have time. So I've been doing 5x5 again for a while to rebuild. Squats caught up fast and went past the point where I had previously stalled and switched to 531.

So last saturday I hit a new 5x5 Pb. But for one rep during set 4 and 5 my knees caved in a bit. Felt no problem at the time but standing up 2 hours later the pain was horrible. Inside of my knee hurt like a motherfucker when bending much or loading while bent. Today the pain is almost gone, fortunately. I will rest it for a week then deload.

So what I wanted to ask is what I can do to strengthen whatever caused my knees to cave

Eating healthy won't stop you gaining fat if you're eating in a caloric surplus, just drop your calories to a little below maintenance for a month and that fat will disappear

The water retention from creatine wouldn't stall weight loss progress as far as I know, it would just slightly shift your baseline water weight up a touch dependent on your lean body mass. At least that is my understanding of it.

A carb refeed is used in cyclic keto diets. I'm not massively up to date with the details of how best to do that though. Last I heard was a carb refeed was scheduled every fortnight but so many people do keto now I wouldn't be surprised if there's evidence that changed that number.

What's your bf%?

Wait to see a doctor

Calculate your TDEE and count your calories.

Don't be the cunt that infects everyone in the gym with his cold.

More quads accessories, make sure you cue your leg drive to include an outward rotation of your quads to stop the knee caving.

Deloading should help with that but you can do accessories such as single leg squat and lunge

Read the sticky.

It doesn't matter how clean your diet is or how much cardio you do, if you're not in a calorie deficit, you won't be losing fat.

It's called an adonis belt, and it's mainly down to 3 things.
>Abdominal and Oblique muscles
>Low bodyfat (important)
>Genetics (very important)

If you don't have the genetics for a visible adonis belt, you can do as many ab-wheel-rollouts, cut to 5% bf and still not have a visible belt.

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm 188cm / 100 kgs, on SL 5x5 and I'm wondering, should I firstly focus on losing weight or eatbig-getbig?
I don't feel /fat/ or out of shape in general, but seeing my scores on symmetric strength and calculating my BMI of 28 were a downer to say the least...

What's your bf%?

100kg at 188cm suggests you're already big.

Just switched from treadmill to street running. Fucking hell my times/endurance have gone to shit. Is there really that much of a difference between using a treadmill and running on the street?

Too many calories

You could be eating only oats but if you're having too much you're still going to gain fat, you need to calorie count and figure out your bmr

Yeah, treadmills aren't accurate

Streets are more tiresome for me

How good is rowing for cardio ? My gym has such machine but im afraid ill fuck up my gains doing that along SS program, im total beginner. On other hand it could help with my core.
I already do running for cardios

I don't know my bf%, but I would think around 20%.
You can see the contour of my core in the morning, but I still got bellyfat and tittyfat. Would love to send a pic to show but I'm on my phone at the library...
Thing is, I've just gotten back to squatting lmao1pl8, with deads just ahead of that, bench at 45kgs and OHP at 35kgs.

AM I JUST WEAK SHOULD I KEEP ON TRUCKING WHEN WILL I BE STRONG I CAN RUN A METRIC MILE IN LESS THAN AN HOUR BUT I'M STILL WEEEEEEEAK REEEEEEEE

Should i do OHP with the long bar that i use for deadlifts or is that overkill and i should be doing it with the shorter lighter one

You do it with a standard barbell, same as you should be using for pretty much all compound barbell lifts. Big one that should weight 20kg.

Some people are telling me i have good potential in becoming big
So i decided to go with SS and some cardios
Im 190 cm 83kg atm

Thoughts on gyno? Will it go away with bodyfat or will i have misshapen pepperoni tits after ill get big that wont go eithout surgery?

Does it make a difference whether the caloric deficit is made from diet or cardio? Results wise

A week off the gym doesn't cause any harm right? My body is exhausted and feels like it need a rest. I've read about rest weeks. Are they legit?

i'd consult a doctor about those tiddies, most "gyno" i see on fit is just fatties with man titties, but that looks like actual gyno

yeah rest weeks are legit, don't worry about it

No, but cardio will tire you out more. It's usually easier to just eat less.

Do GSLP instead. As for the gyno its impossible to tell and it shouldn't influence your decision.

Exhausted could be a sign of under recovery. Are you cutting? Bulking? What's your normal workout schedule?

You could just be coming down with an illness too

Are squats alone enough for legs and lower body? Or will I eventually have leg problems by doing only squats?

The only part of your lower body squats dont hit is your calves. High bar will focus more on your quads and low bar will focus more on hamstrings and glutes. Combine with deadlifts and you're golden.

Ahhhhhh thanks. So am I right in saying that deadlifts sound more optional? Also the muscle groups you mentioned are all but calves also hit when squatting with dumbbells? Just curious

You'll need accessories at some point to continue to get better at squats. You should easily hit a 3 plate squat though just with squat volume.

Not really true, muscle activation for highbar and low bar is roughly the same across the kinetic chain when lifting with high intensity, the real difference comes from stance width and individual proportions.

Calves are hit by very heavy calf raises (or being fat and going for a walk)

Sweet thanks man. But no leg problems or major imbalances? Since hamstrings are slightly hit anyway?

Hamstrings are a prime mover in the squat

I am at 17-19% bf but only slight definition in my muscles. I plan to lose 20 lb more so I'm cutting. However people tell me I'm getting thin (which is not true, as seen in the pic) for my own good.

Should I bulk, maintain, or cut?

gym noob that just started lifting a few months ago and my bench has started to get weaker.

2 weeks ago i started attempt benching
50kg for 4x8

i couldn't make the full 4 sets so i just trained till failure the first 2 - 3 times i hit chest till i just scraped 4 full sets with no assistance

the last couple of times ive worked chest since then my bench has regressed to the point where i can barley complete 3 full sets at 50 kg which is where i was at when i moved up to 50 kg

i think lifting to failure has something to do with it, i usually take 1 to 2 days off between workouts and had even taken a week off when i started to notice my bench go down so i don't think its a rest issue. i also think ive been eating well enough, im bulking atm and my weight has gone up from 65kg at 180cm to 74kg at 180cm and still increasing consistently

i'm planning on de-loading to 45kg bench and instead of doing a 4x8 hypertrophy program switching to a 5x5 strength program like strong lifts and focusing heavily on form and taking proper rests between sets to try and get my lifts up again, does this sound like a good idea?

I finished a cut a few weeks ago which was quite horrible towards the end. I'm also going through a lot of stress money/work-wise and just ache everywhere. I lift 3x a week, Texas Method.

Though lifts are going up and I sleep/eat enough I just "feel" like I need a break.

Do GSLP and follow the progression laid out by that

>100 or 200calories
>fucking up a week

-500kcal/day means -3500kcal/week, how could 100 or 200 be a problem

Take a break for a week and see if it helps then

I've got this constant ache and pain in the musculature of my lower back, should I be worried about this as a precursor to snap city or is snap city more of a horrible crack followed by paralyzing agony?

Do not lift for someone who will kick your ass soon.

Pick a Beginner routine and start lifting weights without giving a fuck about "HURR DURR WHICH MUSCLES WILL MAKE ME HOT"

are dropsets a meme? if it is. why?
positives
negatives
experiences

post em

...please respond

You should be worried. Have good posture.

Go to a doctor about your tiddies, they're small now and if you get some pec muscles, nobody will notice them BUT if you have an endocrine disorder they could get bigger and then you'd need surgery to remove them.

100kg with those lifts I guess you have higher bf, not 20%, cut a bit till 15% or smth then cleanbulk.

They just seem like a shit way to get more volume in my experience

At the beginning of the Summer i strained my lower back and picked up tendinitis in my knee. Just started squatting again and managed 1 plate with no discomfort which is good news.

I used to squat three plate, but I'm keen to take my time to build up to it since being injured sucks. Should I just do a linear progression type deal to get back to it?

Can I do cardio in lifting shoes?

I find cycling and rowing fine in lifting shoes.

Running and swimming not so much

Tbh i think they got smaller, less noticeable with thr 12 kg fat i dropped during the year. But yeah i should consult doctor anyway i have barely any facial hair and girly hips kinda idk
Im 24, wondered if lifting anf dropping fat could help me raise test levels

I squatted for the first time today, doing Stronglifts 5x5. I started with the bar then added weight until it felt difficult (60kg) and tried to do 5x5. I only managed 5, 5, 5, 3, 1. But I reckon if I try it again on Wednesday I might be able to make 5x5.

However my legs feel like jelly! The third exercise was the barbell row; I could barely keep myself in position to row the bar without my legs giving way. Driving home felt weird and climbing the stairs was work, but not half as much work as climbing down the stairs (I ended up sliding down on my ass to make sure I didn't fall).

My legs don't hurt but they feel weak as hell right now. I assume this is something that improves as you get used to working out?

Enjoy your pain tomorrow and through the next week lad
I had the same feeling with same weights

Kinda new to lifting, I often see people talking about, say, making a gainer out of milk, stuff and oats. Do I just drop dry oats into milk and drink that?

It's DOMS, it'll stop if you keep exercising. Also if you squatted 60kg on the first day you were either doing it with an awful form or most likely were doing half squats. Did you break the parallel?

I tried to keep my form throughout and used the mirror to make sure my hips were going below my knees. I didn't have anyone watching me though so I could have been compromising form elsewhere without realising.

I'm 6' 0", 75kg and have never lifted before but I do cycle from time to time. 60kg is probably too heavy for me at the moment (which is why I didn't make my 5x5). Do you think I should keep going at 60kg until I can do it, or deload?

Looking to add c&js into my routine.

Right now I'm running a PPLxx, but where do c&j fit into it?

It's the ultimate compound. Should I add a day for just OLY lifts, or add it to push or pull?