Hi guys, DYEL going to the gym for the first time tomorrow to do SS

Hi guys, DYEL going to the gym for the first time tomorrow to do SS.

Rerack shit, use a towel, mind my own business. Anything else? Pls tell gym etiquette.

Wear shorts and a t shirt.
Don't wear something too tight or too loose. It should feel comfortable to wear.
If you're fat, please tuck in your shirt. When doing lifts this prevents your gut hanging out, especially during OHP and bench.

Otherwise have fun.

be nice and polite, try not to steal or hog equipment

if its a small gym you can greet people, firm handshake

if its a big gym then you would have to run around the facility like an idiot, big no no

I read a thread another day and I cant remember the exact point of it but it was something along the lines of this

If you are doing deadlifts at low weights dont use the bar, use the dumbells instead? Is that gym etiquette or was user just being voicey?

>deadlifts with dumbells

it was just user being an idiot

That's retarded. You should be practicing with the bar.
If you can only do 45lb deadlift, which I doubt unless you're a woman, that's still fine. Just use the bar itself. No one will get mad at you for low weights.

Unless there is only 1 platform in the gym. If there is, simply take a barbell to another location (if there are extra) and do your deadlifts off the platform. Just stay out of other people's way.

if you cant at least deadlift with 45 lb plates on the bar, you need to start with dumbbells. starting with smaller plates will cause you to have to bend too low to pick up the bar which can injure your lower back.

Don't think that if someone offers to spot you he is just being polite. It's common at gyms having to suck the closest guys dick whenever you fail your set.

Everyone is busy doing their own shit, no one cares that you're doing light weights. Keep going, it gets easier.

also, by "use a towel" it means just lay the towel on the seat so that theres no direct contact with the cushion, r-right guys?

if you're gonna deadlift check if theres a trap bar, its like a cage with a space for you to stand in
it'll save you trashing your back through poor form and not knowing the difference between good and bad pain

no it means wipe down the equiptment when you're done
just take a hand towel

start with bar + 10kg on each side dont deadlift bar

you have to understand that as the new guy it's your responsibility to suck the shredded dude's dick in the shower

>Because you won't have to bend low to pick up dumbbells

Put a towel on places otherwise your sweat would go on to

if you see someone doing shit in an open area (ie. deadlifting), try to avoid walking in front of them even if there isn't a mirror

sometimes you can't avoid it, but it can be distracting and it's just courtesy

Don't worry about how much weight you're lifting, focus on your form. The weight will come later.

Look up correct form for absolutely everything you do

Even for shit like bench press where noobies might think you just lay flat on your back and push it up, that's wrong and it's not going to make your chest grow. So always look up proper form.

This is a meme, no one uses a towel

Be sure to thank the regulars. Just walk up to the big dudes, say "thank you sir" and shake their hands.

It's aminor thing but it'll make a big difference on how they perceive you.

Couldn't you just keep holding them instead of putting them on the ground??

This. New guys at my gym that don't at least recognize the fact that I've been there for years pisses me the fuck off.

This is extremely important if you're at a small gym. Somewhere like Gold's Gym or Family Fitness it isn't going to matter.
Chances are they might approach you. They're not trying to intimidate you, they want to know who they're lifting with. If they aren't busy introduce yourself first.

Obviously don't do it in the middle of their lift.

holy shit guys op is autistic have some decency and dont troll him

>Implying we're trolling
I joined a powerlifting gym for the first time not long ago. I went in with the mentality of a commercial gym. I'd wear headphones, do my lifts, get out.

That was wrong of me. When I got there, the owner instantly knew I wasn't a regular. He approached me and we did introductions, and some huge guys came over to say hi as well. They're all super friendly but it's just that kind of atmosphere with a smaller gym.

Yeah in some PL gym where half the guys are either complimenting one another while counting their reps half the time and bumfucking the other half of the time. This dude just wants to beginner lift, I think he's pretty far from the PL scene.

I'm dyel as fuck and joined a PL gym. It's the best motivation I could ask for.

Just be humble, always. Try and avoid looking at others when they're doing their thing, don't walk infront of someone if they're mid-set (if possible), wait for the person to complete their set before you ask if you can borrow equipment or use a rack or whatever. If you're using a bench or rack don't walk far away from it and expect people to know you're using it, stay right next to it and don't fuck around inbetween sets unless you're switching music, drinking water or noting down your lifts.

Oh, dont worry its a unigym. Thanks anons