OHP thread

OHP thread

>Get 50kg 3x5 easily
>Over next two weeks can only get 3-4 reps

Why? I have been eating and sleeping well.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L8azuavwS9M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Are you warming up properly? Are you shifting it into OVERDRIVE?

Think strong!

Inconsistency in form maybe? My OHP would yo-yo like that for awhile until I really nailed down the form.

I used to get this alot with all of my big lifts.

One week i could do 180kg diddlies for 5, the next i could just about squeeze out 160 for 1. The week after I could do 4pl8 again etc.

It's probably fatigue.

stuck at 90kg

You mean you got 50kg 3x5 easy, and then failed 50kg 3x5 next time? This happened for 2 weeks?

How often are you OHP'ing?
How much do you add to the bar each time?
How long are you resting between sets?
What lifts do you do before you OHP?

I OHP twice a week, one heavy day 3x5 then another day where I use lighter weight (after I've done heavy bench).

Adding 2.5kg a time. I've got micro plates so could add 1.25kg a time but don't want to look autistic taking them to the gym.

Rate

At some point you won't be able to make 2.5kg jumps anymore:

2.5kg jump on a 140kg squat is a 1.8% increase 2.5kg jump on a 60kg OHP is a 4% increase

At 50kg you can probably go heavy twice a week. So either do another 3x5 or do something higher intensity like a couple of heavy triples. Triples work great for OHP.

You probably can still make 2.5kg jumps but not with just 5's. You'd probably have to rotate rep ranges. So do 3x8, then 3x5 next time, then 3x2 after that. Example:

Workout 1: 45 3x8
Workout 2: 50 3x5
Workout 3: 55 3x2
New cycle
Workout 1: 47.5 3x8
Workout 2: 52.5 3x5
Workout 3: 57.5 3x2

Are u standing or sitting?

Standing

Thanks will play around with rep ranges

Change it up and do OHP seated and play around with the warm up weight, it'll go up in no time

For shoulders and ohp, learn the form, warm up with the bar and 60% max focusing on speed and form, change the rep range every week from 5x5 to 4x6 to 3x8, and add only one other shoulder workout that day. I do paused Arnold presses with light weights but focus on the tension. Another good tip is to do thrusters during leg day. It'll over train your shoulders and decrease your lifts but one day when you cut out the thrusters and Arnold press from your routine youll see an increase in your lifts

Broken Shoulder mate...
> Learn to stretch and foam roll

> youtube.com/watch?v=L8azuavwS9M

Instead of increasing weight every workout you can simply do it every other workout. i wouldnt fuck up the rep ranges first thing. Stick with ripple's plan. Maybe get some 1 lb plates

Also, eat more

OHP is all about minimizing the lever arm between the weight and the shoulder joint.

Even a few inches could drastically increase the force on the shoulder.

Are you abusing the stretch reflex at the bottom of the lift?

If so, stop doing that for a few weeks and start all OHPs from a dead stop.

Pause your bench reps for these two weeks.

Go back to TnG on both of them.

???

Profit.

Central nervous system fatigue. As a natty you can't Max out every week.

>cns fatigue from 50kg
lmao

reminder that russian weightlifters do ohp every day and press +120kg

for ohp pressing very frequently is very optimal. Just try it mate, you do ohp now 2 times, up it to 3 times or even 4 times and do high intensity but not much volume

This.

Some people are under the mistaken impression that the shift from beginner to intermediate ie. linear progression to periodization happens simultaneously for all lifts. This is not the case. Most people will stall on OHP before their other lifts on LP. Introducing a volume/recovery/heavy cycle to your OHP is a great way to avoid those fluctuations in weight which (in the absence of problems with nutrition, rest and the other basics) are a hall-mark of having exhausted LP. The other likely problem is making jumps in weight that are too big - get some 0.75kg plates and take them with you to the gym (they are a couple of bucks and won't weigh down your gym bag that much) or go for rep progression.

*fluctuations in strenght

What this does is teaches intensity out of the hole.

The tightness required to drive the weight overhead from a dead stop is different and will change the way you lift.

c'mon

Two things
Do 1x5 on the heavy day and 5x5@80-90% on the light day.
Progression on heavy day: Do 1x5@ some weight. Try to get more reps. If you get 6, you should be able to do a 2.5 kg jump (and go back down to 5 reps for 2-4 weeks)

Also, dumbbell presses are great for training your stabilisers, push presses and jerks for extra lockout strength, pause bench for strength off the bottom and dips for overall assistance. Do these after the heavy OHP set(s)