Is Squat a meme

Veeky Forums today i saw a dyel guy with a skinnyass legs squating 365lbs. I thought squat will get u big legs. Are squats a meme?

no. if you have skinny legs but squat alot of weight youre probably resting at the top of every rep. you should move like a piston up and down quickly to keep the tension in the muscle to build it.

A lot of power lifters look dyel.

why would you lie like that on the internet?

The number one factor in getting bigger muscles is your diet. You can build strength without building muscle. I got up to a 255lb squat eating 1800 calories a day as a 6'2" 220lb fatass. I know that this was stupid of me, but my point is you don't need big muscles to lift heavy weight, that's why powerlifters and strongmen who look fat or out of shape and are half the size of bodybuilders still outlift them on numerous occasions.

>You can build strength without building muscle

yo, is this person fucking retarded?

>Implying you can't get more efficient at a movement over time
>Implying you never got stronger on a cut

sorry, meant to quote

Was he quarter repping 365?
I see people in the gym around my age quarter repping 3pl8 stare at me when I only have 115 on the bar doing front squats. Feels good to have bigger legs lifting like 1/3 of that weight

>115
>bigger legs
pick one

They're a perfectly good exercise, but they're neither necessary nor sufficient for building big legs. I see skinny guys squatting 3 pl8+ all the time, and I had big legs from biking before I ever stepped into a squat rack

Dumb frogposter

>thinking 365 for quarter reps means you have big legs
Lmao

ah yes, noob gains don't real, nervous system don't real, increasing strength on a cut don't real, and of course, relationship of form to weight pumped don't real

>thanks for subscribing to DYEL Facts!

is that true? did i fall for the backsquat meme?

Nah, backsquats aren't a meme. I don't do them because I have shit posture and front squats force me to be upright. They give good carry over to deadlifts though if you use the same stance when squatting

That guy said that front squatting 115 won't make your legs big, not that guys that quarter rep 365 have big legs.

Nice meme of someone not breaking parralel with a crossfit plate, and a powerlifter who can't break parallel with 7pl8 either

>255 squat at 220
>thinking this is heavy or impressive in any way regardless of whether or not you are eating like an african child
Friendly reminder to not take advice from anyone who squats under 4 plates

FUCK wrong picture

I thought I had the other version where the guy was atg and complaining about someone squatting parallel or just below

Also you can't judge depth from the front unless it's egregious

What if 225 is almost 1.4 of my bw?

Still not much mate

Am i the only one who squats a2g?

My gym is full of guys who don't make parrallel half the time

Most of my gym is 225-315 for quarter reps and then loading up the leg press with 6-8 plates for some more quarter reps

I'm impressed only because I can't lift that much yet.

Even so, I weigh 180 and I'm squatting 95% bw so that doesn't seem to matter.

I used to but had to stop because of poor flexibility leading to a sore back

Yeah, you probably are the only person that squats atg

I dont get it famalam

Surely by now everyone knows form > weight when it comes to gains?
Then again my gym is full of those lift 30 mins stand round chatting 2h types
If i go when its quiet im out in 45-60 mins

I get past parallel, but that's about it
I've never seen someone besides one buddy of mine go atg on back squats.
There are ~3 people that I've seen properly squat 225-285 at my gym
And 2 that I've seen do 4pl8+
Commercial gyms are great

atg isn't necessarily the best way to squat for everyone who lifts

They don't know. They'll keep ego lifting until they tear a pec or their hamstring and then become that guy who talks about how much he could lift when he was younger.

Tbh i think its why i like to go the gym on my own - don't have to deal with other people's nonsense

That feel when you only feel free under a loaded bar

Would be nice to have people who come into the gym at the same time as you. If you don't know the regulars, it's like a constant stare down between sets

There are quite a few people out there who think quarter and half squats are legit exercises. And some even think they're superior.

Seriously.

Yeah its a meme. It's unnecessary spine compression and damage in this day and age. You can accomplish the same results by doing heavy leg press and planks. And you don't have to deal with spine compression and becoming a manlet.

But that's wrong you retard

You have no proof that it's wrong

> lets do fixed plane isolation exercises in place of compound freeweight lifts
> stabiliser muscles? Hgh? Never heard of them

You also have no proof that momentary spine compression makes you shorter (there are studies that prove that it doesn't and no credible studies that prove that it does).

Also, if you think leg press + planks is all that's needed to replace squats, you shouldn't be surprised you're DYEL as fuck.