/run/ - Running General

Pastebin: pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m

>Hey, user. What's the best thing about your favorite route?
edition

Why is coming in and stretching with a mug of cider the comfiest?

Other urls found in this thread:

runsmartproject.com/calculator/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'll start. Just got back from running on one side of the local river, across the bridge, and down the other. It's a gorgeous view with some offshoots to practice trail running, and it comes back through campus, so I have to stay fast to impress the college kids.

Old one at 300. Where are you guys?

Favorite route is along a local canal. I've been running there since I was 10 (I'm 23 now). It's a nice flat trail and usually it's shaded. I get to see a good amount of ducks, geese, frogs, etc. on my runs and occasionally a blue heron or two. It's quiet in the mornings when I usually go.

>pic related

Anybody else map out their runs on google maps before hand? Shits fun

can I run away from my feels?

gf of 15 months broke up with me today. we were amazing. she was amazing. but my new career has me gone a lot and it didn't take long for the issues to start. kinda felt like she wanted it to end but was softening the blow by being so nice so I just basically told her to say it was over and it would be over and so she did. at the point where I think she may have cheated or at least wanted to and wanted to clear her guilty conscience since she was saying shit like "I'm not sure if I would even be angry with you slept with someone while you were gone."

I'm not sure if it hasn't hit me yet or if I'm just too broken from a past relationship to let myself feel as bad as I think I should. I'm kinda just feeling really bummed out that I lost my best friend.

how far should I run tomorrow?

I like that there are very few normies there because it's a cycle path with nothing of interest next to it, and it also helps that I run in the dark, I can barely see what's in front of me at some points. It really helped at the beginning when I was conscious about others seeing me. Now I don't really give a fuck and just walk home in my sweat-stained shirt after I'm done.

Yeah I did that too to see how long my runs are. Fortunately, the path is 5 km long, and there is a bridge at 2.5 km, so I can measure my time every 2.5 km during my daily 10k.

Just wanted to point out something for you running newbs about 92 miles (73%) of Mo Farah's training plan are run at his easy/recovery/warmup/cooldown pace, which is a 6 minute mile. His long run, another 22 miles, is only a little faster than that pace. He does this to run the 5k at a 4:09 pace and marathons at a 4:53 pace.

If you wanna get fast, you have to run lots of miles. If you want to run lots of miles, they have to be easy. The actual hard miles should be a small part of your training plan, not the main point.

thanks professor runnerman!

>tfw started running 3 miles on my off days
I'm probably a lightweight compared to you guys, but I'm feeling good so far!

Distance running at a constant pace vs Interval Sprinting

Which is the superior training method?

Just bought a pair of Nike FS Lite Run 3s, havent had a chance to try them out yet but i was wondering if anyone else had worn them?

what are goals

Do you guys just run in normal athletic shorts or do you get "running shorts"?

i tried a pair or two on a few days ago when i was out but they felt so weird, am i supposed to wear anything underneath them since they have the liner thing, or are they like swimtrunks and im supposed to go commando?

im running my first 10k in 3 hours,wish me luck!

-fat bastard whos not trained for it

If the shorts have that liner I don't use underwear. I don't give a single fuck if my dick gets noticed. Once I put on the headphones and get out of my house I sort of go into a different state of mind and I don't mind about people. I only focus on my running experience.

Best of lucks breh! Tell us how it went when you come back.

If you're trying to increase your beep test score, then you practise the beep test at least once or twice a week + interval training to increase your VO2 max. You don't just jog m8, that's not gonna get you anywhere. I got my beep test up from a 6.5 to a 10 in just 4 weeks of training by doing this.

How do i fix my running form? i feel like i'm "pounding" my feet and it leads to a lot of calf/shin pain

I use onthegomap a lot.

couple days ago posted my time of 3 miles at 41 minutes.

today i did week 5 day 3 of couch 2 5k and saw i could beat 40 minutes for my 3 miles. sped up and ran like a kenyan and did 3 miles in 37 minutes 20 seconds.

that's with the 5 minute warm up walk. we're all gonna make it brahs.

Iktf and really proud of you bro

Seems like you'll be one of the few people who will be able to run 5k in 30 minutes after week 8 of the program.

Don't get me wrong I like the program a lot but it triggers me to see people think they adequately finished the program because they ran for 30 mins straight, but only covered 2.2 miles in those 30 minutes.

does anyone on /run/ do that kind of mileage? How did you work up to it? How does it....feel?

I'm working my way up to runnning a 100 mile race.

I just got into running and it's all I think about doing now. Why do I get so obsessed with things? now it's going to be all I talk about.

What do you guys do with shoes when you put 400 miles on them? Keep me just for walking or casual, or throw them in the dumpster?

Just run till you're tired. And then sprint till you can't move anymore.

let the lest digit tell of todays km distance...

>What do you guys do with shoes when you put 400 miles on them?

Check the wear-and-tear on the external of the shoe - the sole especially. Of course they'll be no good for running, but after that stage i'd just throw them away anyway because I have dedicated walking boots for walking and trainers for running.

The last two digits you mean.

Actually I think it would be quite fun to do what they do in the pushup thread and let the last two digits decide distance (miles or kilometers). Put a decimal between the first and second digit though unless you're that hardcore.

400 miles isn't a hard cutoff for me. I'd say closer to 500 but of course if the shoes are just dead before then I'll replace them. Old running shoes become lawn mowing shoes for me.

having not trained for it,at all,and running occasionally i finished 204th/383 at 55 min.

my friend who was with me finished at 45 min,and around 40th.

I am happy that i was under 1hr,which was my intention from the start,but it kinda sucks being the worse 50% and finishing so long after my buddy.

But i really liked the run,i didnt keep a good pace,i was running erratically,going fast,then tiring and going slow,and repeating that circle.For the first 5km i went too fast i think,and when i finished the first lap (the race was 2x5km laps) I felt like walking so i can rest,but then i thought i didnt want to look pathetic,so i kept jogging.Somewhere at around 6to7 km,there was music and many people cheering us on,and a girl i knew who shouted encouragements to me..so i felt very psyched up and for a while i felt no fatigue,and picked up speed and passed some people,that didnt last for long and i got tired again,it was pretty shitty till around the last 100km when i sprinted till the end,at the point i passed the finish line i felt pretty sad the race had ended,cause i was mid-sprint and wanted to run till i was exhausted,but there was a line of people with cameras infront so i had to stop.

Generally it was very nice,and im motivated to start training to improve my time for the next race i do.

Also sorry for blogging and shitty english :D

After mine wear out, they become my everyday wearing shoes. I usually get another year out of them before they start becoming uncomfortable to wear.

it would make more sense to do the minutes of the last two digits. then again, below 20 would be boring and 90s might be too much for some

so I cheated and instead of of 2km or 62km decided to do a boring 9k (52min)

for physique HIIT is certainly best.
But which is best for health?

Both are unless you consistently do extremely long periods of LISS e.g. marathons.

other than injuries,does it fuck you up in any way?

Tried googling, can anyone help me find a good calculator for what pace I should be running my tempo runs and intervals? My easy running pace is around 8:00 min/mile.

>100 km sprint at the end

damn, nice job man

???

for maximal training effect, you should be choosing heartrate zones.
High intensivity: 90% of max HR
Intensive: 80% of max HR
Normal running: 70%
Low intensivity: 60%

then again it varies in different persona.

tempo is just how fast you are moving, it has somewhat little to do with improving your body in the end, because what you want is to increase your endurance with HIIT. if you want tempo, do sprints.

Maybe I'm just confused, so what do you actually want? What's the aim?

I've never been into heart rate training, but maybe it's worth looking into.

My aim is to improve my 5K time. Current PR is 18:35 but that's old. I should run a time trial to get a more recent time.

How does one go about finding out their max heartrate?

Jack Daniels' Vdot tables are pretty useful for that. Try to use a recent race performance instead of plugging in an easy pace. Training at a higher pace than what you're capable of really sucks
runsmartproject.com/calculator/

In that caculator, tempo runs are at the threshold pace, and the interval pace is for VO2max work.

well, if you want the best possible 5k time...
run a shitload of 5ks and keep doing it faster and faster.
it's such a short distance you don't need any fancy programs tbqh

of course you might try some longer runs to improve your long run endurance, but that itself does not guarantee better 5k time. or you could do a few 100m sprints for muscle power increases, but that too carries little bonuses to 5k distance.

just go to your nearest track and run 5km 3-4 days a week as fast as possible.

there is some common rule about 220 minus your age, meaning as you get older your peak capacity decreases. but every body is different, so it might vary a lot.

However I am 24, and the highest heartrates I have seen on my watch are ~190 (and very rarely, like sprinting a hill), which might be like 85-90% of my max, simply because I do not know what my theoretical max heartrate might be.

Excellent. Thanks user.

>just go to your nearest track and run 5km 3-4 days a week as fast as possible
So you're saying you should train for a 5k by doing an all-out 5k multiple times a week? Seriously, this is an unsustainable way of training, and you'll just burn out after a few weeks or get yourself injured..
You need a solid aerobic base for a 5k, and you build that by lots of easy running and proper long runs for several months. Higher intensity workouts are crucial, but they constitute maybe max 20 % of your total weekly mileage, the rest is easy running

My current PR is 23:11 for a 5k so it's nowhere near as fast as that user's, but I can tell you from experience that running 3-4 maximum effort 5ks a week will give you no progress whatsoever after a certain point.

>That Marathon Winner today ran at a pace of 17.5 sec/100m and it looked like a Stroll in The park
>mfw I look like I'm trying to outrun a wild boar at that Speed

I had to skip my running race today. I felt fatigued and had a mild headache so I didn't feel like running a 10k. Especially at race pace.
I didn't expect the amount of guilt I would feel though. I felt like such a loser.

Would cycling be good to increase running performance? On top of running of course. Nothing beats the real deal.

So I'm just a beginner and I want a sub 30 minute 5k. Im at 33 now. My plan was to just run 5k 3 times a week. Should I increase my distance every week instead?

Run 5 miles a day 6 days a week at 8 minute pace. Change your route every couple of days. Do this for a month and you will run a sub 30 5k.

Yeah I'd just do that, and also increase the number of days/week when you run. Then I'd later start doing hill sprints and tempo runs and long distance runs on different days of the week (at least that is recommended by online running magazines). I'm currently running 5×10 km/week. I may go fast tomorrow to see if my new schedule has had any speed benefits yet.

A person who wants to run a 5K in 30 minutes has no business running that long at 8 minute pace. Run at a comfortable pace instead, and incorporate some other tempo runs or speedwork on some days.

> feel a little sick
> That's okay, just gonna try to go run easy-mode, that will make me feel better for sure
>Now laying in bad literally dying and sipping hot tea

T-thanks

compression clothing

meme or super meme?

uh what?
have you tried running +20km or +30km distances in cotton underwear? feels bad man. like real bad. compression running underwear doesn't feel bad.
(also I have managed to grind half a dozen normal cotton boxers into oblivion on longer runs, they are not meant to last long)

and for tights, real useful when running in freezing temperatures. because you need several layers of clothing at certain temperatures.

but I guess all the professional athletes using compression gear just do it because of the meme :^)

well yeah compression boxers and such are great, but how about compression socks or compression calf sleeves?

I'm not sure you really need them, but if they feel good, then why not?

running socks/compression socks provide far better feeling for longer runs than basic cotton socks (which like my cotton boxers simply wear out). the material differences are enough to make me avoid even using cotton on longer walks now that I have spoiled myself with running socks.
they are designed to keep the foot dry, whereas cotton is basic cotton shit. they have far better grip, so the skin suffers less (blisters)

of course, if you run just irregularly and usually below 10km or 1h runs, maybe it doesn't make a difference, but if you are serious about running than the socks make a huge difference.

calf sleeves I don't have, so dunno. unless you mean tights that reach all the down to ankles? good for cold weather, it gets freezing here.

proper running gear exists and is sold and bought because it make a difference. hard to believe stores and professionals would be having random meme gear.
of course if you run like once a week, then getting lots of gear might be a bit weird.

I need a 12minute 1.5 mile time. (8min mile/7.5 mph)

I can currently run 6.7mph for 12 min on treadmill (1.3mi in 12 min, about 9min mile). Two weeks ago I couldn't run at 6mph for 10min without stopping.

How should I improve? So far I just boost speed by .1 mph on treadmill every time I run. Should I keep doing this or add more time/distance. Now that I can run a mile without stopping I can train in different ways.

Please help, I'm brand new to running and have no idea what to do. Just doing progressive overload right now. I run 3 or 4 days a week after weightlifting.

go out and run on 4-6 days a week
do long runs with slow speed
do shorter runs with high speed
walk a lot, it also improves your legs

just keep adding a few minutes or a few hundred meters run after run, eventually you will reach your goals
it's a slow process, especially in the beginning. your body will take some time to adjust. especially if you start with low stamina.

and before your feet start hurt, check that you proper shoes that suit for feet. (pronation vs supination vs neutral, and proper cushioning for the terrain you use)

don't push too hard, don't give up too soon. it'll take time.

had to miss my 10k yesterday because i started feeling a pain in my achillies during my long run last week and hasnt fully gone away

>have a half marathon coming up in 2 weeks
>mfw it hasnt healed by then