Eccentric Reps

In his latest video, Jeff Cavaliere recommended eccentric bar curls to encourage bicep growth. I thought I'd give them a try at the gym, so I loaded up the bar with slightly more than I would rep for 12, cheated to get the bar up, and then lowered it slowly, aiming for the negative portion of each rep to last about 4 seconds. I did 3 sets for 6-6-3 reps - much lower than I expected - and by the end my arms were much more fatigued than they'd ever been before. I also felt a huge amount of forearm recruitment, so much so that when I went to fill up my protein shaker, holding down the button on the fountain was enough to make them shake.

Overall I'm both pleased and surprised at how much they kicked my ass.

What's your experience with them? How good/useful do you think they are? Would you apply them to any other exercises?

Also related: What do you think of Jeff Cavaliere?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9CNsaGlzMBY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump

Most of his stuff is very based. I believe he coached some baseball teams, which means he is a proffesional. I really like his stuff tho. People on Veeky Forums cry that his words are " too complicated"

His titles and thumbnails are clickbaity as fuck, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the high quality of information in them. He really knows his stuff Is he natty though? His skin looks to be in good condition, which can't always be said for roiders, and while he has a very low BF he isn't gorilla-huge, so I'm thinking he probably is.

Hard to say, he has been lifting for a long time so he is most likely natty. If he was roiding he would look a lot bigger. Jeff is in my favorite fitness youtuber along with elliot t b h

eccentrics are also very good for pull ups. If you cant pull many I would recomend you jump to the top and slowly let down.

I've been using the assisted pull-up machine but I think I'll try that, thanks.

So now what? You managed to exhaust your arms, what at great proof.

You could do 50 reps of 12 and you spirit end up exactly the same feeling. It doesn't have any meaning whatsoever.

There is one scientifically and experience proven approach to optimal muscle growth for natural lifters - and that is liberally overloading muscles.
That's all you ever have to do as natty. That should always be your first priority, always.
You don't need drop sets, super sets, pyramid whatever bullshit. And you don't need super slow eccentric shit.

Assisted pull up just feel weird on the body. i try to avoid them

>TUT doesn't effect muscle growth
Kys SS memeboy

>Not watching it before.
Dude its literally what he says. Science right back into working out. I've honestly found great results by watching his videos. It also helps me get bwtter range of moton because his Washboard Wednesdays show how each muscle contracts and gives me a good idea of what ranges of motion are good or bad for you, and the best exercise for maximum hypertrophy.
Tl;dr he's the real deal with good high quality advice if you're willing to learn big terms to understand what he's talking about.

It's a factor amongst 2 others and with them it's probably the least significant.

Jeff is my boy, helped me with a lot of stuff. Would recommend.

eccentric portions of reps are better mass builders than ismetric or even the concentric, Jeff, and many other fitness youtubers who actually know their shit advocate this
I trust Jeff, since he's an actuall physical therapist and not just some gymrat or supplement sellout, with a semi.decent body
If I'm not to trust a doctor, then who the hell am I to trust

this

Work your way to bodyweight curls for high reps and youll have big strong biceps

doing more reps gives more TUT too

tip: normal reps already have eccentric portions to them anyway

>using eccentric reps for anything else than building strength

you are doing it wrong you retard, eccentric reps are done with higher than normal loads that you couldn't complete a normal rep so you do the eccentric part to get strength gains

then you use those strength gains to get better aesthetics gains

you retard, try to do 50 pushups and see if your chest doesn't feel like what you did

If your forearms were that fatugued then you just transferred the workload from your bicep muscle to your forearms muscle. Not really what you want if you are doing an isolation exercise like curls.

youtube.com/watch?v=9CNsaGlzMBY

>Veeky Forums still arguing whether or not cheat reps are effective if you have a controlled eccentric
How are you guys still arguing over this? It's one of the best ways to overload your muscle in a safe manner on any lift where it's possible.

OP is not talking about cheat reps, he is talking about doing eccentric with really light weight to "overload" the muscles with fucking air

Oh. Well that's just bullshit.

No I'm not. I clearly stated that it was heavier than I normally rep for.

>heavier than the one i use for 12 reps

you aren't using cheat reps, just doing some meme TUT bodybuilding steroid shit

if you want more of that, do arnold blueprint for mass routine, i'm sure you will get more toned and bigger :^)

Not really sure what you're arguing here desu lad. It was heavier than I normally curl, I cheated to get it up, the eccentric was slow and controlled, and I was fatigued by it.

There have been a bunch of studies that show the slow and controlled negative or eccentirc portion of an exercise increase hypertophy more than focusing on the concentric phase

ITT: fags that don't do negatives apparently

the eccentric portion of a lift is important for both strength and mass. training negatives has always been a standard in routines.

the only issue with negatives is that you are more prone to injury.

Sergio Oliva was a fan of slow eccentrics IIRC

I like his videos.

> the only issue with negatives is that you are more prone to injury.

this is the only problem.

>the only issue with negatives is that you are more prone to injury.
Really? I'd assume the opposite. Why is this?

>makes a topic on something he TRIED once
come back in 3 months ffs
sick of you faggots who hop from program to program every week and a year later end up injured with no gains
kys

Hey I drank some protein and couldn't lift any more than usual. Am I drinking the wrong protons?