Redpill me on crossfit

Complete newfag here. I've read the sticky and already bought a copy of Starting Strength.

I expect to build decent core strength in about 6-8 months and I'm looking for a good program to get into after I'm done with SS. I'm curious about CrossFit but I've noticed it gets a lot of flak around here, any specific reasons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M8up6A4QesU
youtu.be/wszGVIeIlRs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

LIGHTWEIGHT BABY!!

youtube.com/watch?v=M8up6A4QesU

Jesus. Is it always supposed to be that terrible?

Lack of understanding. Social media shows only the worst. Yes there are some shitty gyms where no one should go, don't fucking go to those. If you find a gym that preaches form and safety and you follow their rules, you won't get hurt. If you're a retarded faggot and get hurt doing something stupid that you clearly weren't supposed to do then you deserve it. Follow crossfit football, get strong as shit while simeltaneously getting conditioned as shit

Holy shit i've never seen anything like this... How heavy are those plates?? And what are they even made of, polystyrene?

Hey it's that video of continental presses again.

Crossfit is a conditioning program which becomes counterproductive after about six weeks. After that your risk of injury skyrockets and your returns begin diminishing.

If I see this fucking video posted one more time I'm going to lose it.

The exercise they're doing is a CONTINENTAL clean and press. That's how you lift an axle. Just because it looks stupid doesn't mean some teenager on Veeky Forums knows more.

It's not a "clean". "Clean" means you don't touch your body.

Shut the fuck up you don't know what you're talking about.

Better yet, go tell Zydrunas or Thor he's doing it wrong.

It's not a clean. It's never been properly called a clean. It's a continental. So named because it was popular with French and German lifters back in ye olde days. Calling the other version a 'clean' came about directly to contrast it with how the continental worked (and to take a shot at everyone else, because English gonna English).

CrossFit is great for fitness; but that is something I and many other people care nothing about (despite the name of this board). If you are interested in bodybuilding/building a physique in general then bodybuilding is the way to go, if you are interested in strength then powerlifting/strongman is the way to go, and if you are interested in all-around fitness then I suppose CrossFit is a good way to go.

It seems really expensive for what it is.

You're a fucking idiot. "Clean" means you lift it "clean" from the body. A "Continental" lift can not be a "clean". Calling it a "Continental clean" is fucking retarded.

Wrong and stupid, go watch the Olympics fucktard

> Be paramedic
> Get called to a school for an asthma attack
> Pretty standard job
> Arrive on scene and directed to the gymnasium
> Find kid having asthma attack
> What the fuck
> There's three other kids who look fucked
> One holding his back crying
> Two others on the floor barely conscious panting
> "What happened here?"
> "Oh the new coach Mr Peters tried a new activity with the kids - something called crossfit"
> I nearly had to declare a major incident

The Olympics changed the rules back in the 70s (IIRC, around the same time they tossed out the press). Prior to that, the lift wasn't allowed any body contact until the rack. That's a large part of why old oly form looks so different to today.

The no-contact rule itself was brought in specifically to ban the continental.

Who the heck touches there body during the clean portion of the clean and jerk (and gets away with it)? Pretty sure it's a rule that you have to go from the ground to the rack position.

What am I missing? When do these faggots touch their body before the rack position?

youtu.be/wszGVIeIlRs

The old no-contact rule wasn't just the torso. It was pretty much everything bar the shoulders. A lot of modern lifts (particularly the americans who really love the hip bang cue) wouldn't pass under the old rules.

Watch how they ride the bar up their legs on the clean. That wouldn't have flown prior to the rule changes. When they said no contact, they meant no contact.

Gotcha. I noticed that when you said "hip bump". I get it, they're still not turning the lift into a zercher squat in the middle though.

Thankfully.

The continental actually sucks a whole lot less than the zercher squat, speaking from experience (while both lifts are painful bullshit with very limited carryover to anything except themselves, they're also both still common events in strongman so I'm stuck learning to be at least competent at them). It's weird, awkward and will give you the odd case of belt bite but I've encountered very little that sucks as much as zercher anything.

And I just like talking shit about the history of lifting, particularly oly since hardly anyone ever seems to realise just how much the lifts have changed over the years (for good and bad reasons).

>zercher
>little carryover
Not sure if I agree with you there. I think the upper back strength is pretty transferable to deadlifts, loading, front and SSB squats

Loading events are where I'd agree with you. The other stuff, I find it doesn't help half as much as other lifts.