Hey Veeky Forums, read the sticky

Hey Veeky Forums, read the sticky.
Buying dumbbells because gym is way to far.

Does it matter at all what bar I buy?
Can I just go with the cheapest one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-kmroCxL4y0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Get a gym membership if possible. You'll outgrow your dumbbells quickly. I started this way too.

No, because you won't make it.

Everything goes as long it has good reliable stoppers.
In any case, you shouldn't be lifting with DB for too long. At least not for your main lifts.
They are great for accesory lifts though, so invest some money if you are in this for the long run.

DIY. Can't drive for a year. So no gym for a year.
I already run 4 times a week. This is supplement.
>In any case, you shouldn't be lifting with DB for too long. At least not for your main lifts.
Well shit.

If you have the space, get an olympic barbell and plates. There are many sites online that have 300lb Oly sets for around $300-400. Buy a bench and a rack eventually. All in all you're looking at about $800-1000 dollars total. If you can only afford the bar and plates, Zercher Squats lifted from a Sumo Dl position, Deadlifts, Sumo deadlifts and learn how to do power cleans. You can start to OHP as well once you get used to cleaning the weight up. Realistically you don't need anything else.

Get an Olympic barbell, plates, and something to deadlift on (210 lbs for

>Can't drive for a year
>I already run 4 times a week. This is supplement.
You're retarded, but you're also underaged so I guess that's to be expected.

I made it to 1/2/2/3 with just a set of heavy adjustable dumbells at home
Barbells are a meme

>1/2/2/3
>literally anything

Also
>bench the same as squat

Floor press baby.

Floor press > bench press.

You hip thrust the bar and start pressing.

A $55 barbell from Amazon (shipped) can hold 300+ lbs. If you're a weak dyel right now it'll take you months to exceed that, so if you're tight on money ignore the big spenders here and get a junky 6' bar for now.

Also, get a power cage. You can get one that holds 500 lbs (more than you'll ever load it with, unless you're genetically gifted) on Amazon for $255 shipped. I couldn't find cheaper local options, and (like you) I don't have a car anyway.

I would suggest trying to get adjustable Dumbbells on the longer end, I had adjustables just like that, and could only fit on 80 pounds at the most when I dumbbell benched.
Once you get to that point where you can't fit anymore weight on, look into buying solid non adjustable Dumbbells.
Home gyms are good, you save a lot more money in the long run.

I just realized that you were asking about dumbells. I was discussing barbells here. That's likely the better option if you're looking to lift heavy.

Same as you OP.

I dunno, been using DBs for almost a year and have sub-par gains (still from skinny fat to athletic, feels good man). It's much better if you get a bike and pedal over to gym (a city one if under budget), good for legs + cardio too.

Also, I have those same DBs, can't find any plates for them. Where can I get some plates, Veeky Forums?

go to amazon and search "Standard 1" Hole Iron Weight Plates"

Dumbbells are great for beginner gains.
People here just shill barbells because of the starting strength meme.
Lunges, floor press and DB rows are all good exercise.
Curls, french press, goblet squats are all good too.
Throw in some push ups, pull ups/chin ups and a bit of cardio and you'll look better than 95% of the male population.

The only things you can't replicate is the deadlift.
And that is a real shame because it's a fucking great exercise.

>People here just shill barbells because of the starting strength meme.
Nope. Reasons:
* you only have to load one bar, not two
* you won't pull or tear anything getting into position because you can actually use a rack or cage
* you can't squat dumbells, dumbass
* you can't power clean dumbells, dumbass
* you can't row or deadlift dumbells without a platform because you need the 45 lb plates' leverage

It's therefore only reasonable to have dumbells if you also have a bar. At that point, just use the damn bar.

>Live in tiny uni apartment
>Banging shit 3/10 times you take 7' barbell + plates outside
No thanks

>Can't squat dumbbells
Wew lad, can't really tell if you're serious or not.

>you only have to load one bar, not two
And remember that if you're a non-Cro-Magnon and therefore do warmup sets, you're going to have to load the bar 4-5 times for each exercise. You almost double that work by using dumbells.

>>Can't squat dumbbells
>Wew lad, can't really tell if you're serious or not.
Are you fucking kidding me? You think you can do quality squats to near failure with dumbells? Front squats are a somewhat inferior exercise, and there's no way you're gracefully approaching failure while squeezing a goddamn dumbell between your hands. Where exactly does one procure a 150 lb dumbell, anyway? Is it easy to carry out of your tiny uni apartment?

>be me
>live in pretty small uni apartment
>get a damn power rack
>get a damn 6' bar
>use them

Are you a total dyel? If not, you're benching at least 140 and squatting and deadlifting more. Are you carrying hundreds of pounds of weights out of and then into your apartment every time you lift? A power cage's footprint is about 26" x 48". Pretty much everyone can manage that. It isn't even much larger than the floor space you need to lift in the first place.

hahaha enjoy those sweet gains with 45lbs squats bro. You're gonna get sik swole.

Go to a steel shop and get some 3 foot lengths of 1" bar. Get some collars welded on and get a bunch of 10lb 1" plates and 4 lock collars. Thats what matt kroc did before he turned into a tranny

Exactly, no way I'm going to carry all those things outside. Yeah, I realize a power cage takes as much space as a workout, but do you really think I'll put a honking " 26" x 48" " machine in the middle of the living room? DBs can be set aside or under bed. WTF you gonna do with a big box of metal?

I'm not OP, so I drive over to the gym for those, what I find ridiculous is saying you can't squat dumbbells. Of course you can, but it's gonna be high rep exercises with a mix of cardio.

>what I find ridiculous is (You) saying you can't squat dumbbells. Of course you can, but it's gonna be high rep exercises with a mix of cardio.
By that logic, you can squat salt shakers, and just about anything else too. The point is that for actual quality strength training, you can only squat a barbell.

What about for ottermode or some aesthetics? I've been told dumbbells are viable if that is your goal and strength secondary

front squat master race

You can squat heavy kettlebells for solid strength gains, try squatting 2 32s and youll be surprised by how taxing it is

Bump

Unlike a salt shaker, you can use goblet squats for:
>Warm ups
>Teaching beginners to squat
>High-rep sets for hypertrophy or endurance
>Outdoor workouts
>Challenge workouts

Eh, you get stronger by lifting heavy things and then lifting heavier things. Eventually you'll need a barbell, but it can be postponed through more creative methods (or simply more lifting, though this would be wasting time unless you're on some endurance goal), especially if you're starting out as OP who will once again drive within the year and hopefully get a gym membership.
youtu.be/-kmroCxL4y0

>Unlike a salt shaker, you can use goblet squats for:
>>Warm ups
For...? Oh, right, barbell squats.

>>Teaching beginners to squat
So that they can squat...? Oh, right, barbells.

>>Outdoor workouts
Meme, doesn't make sense.

>>Challenge workouts
Crossfit pls go

Depends on how "big" you define ottermode, aesthetics and strength go hand in hand, since more muscle = more power. The reason aesthetics guys might lift less is that they don't tend to do low rep exercises, which increase the connections between muscle and nervous system, giving a rise in strength.

Ever seen a guy squatting 100+ pounds with knees inwards? Not a pretty sight. Worse yet are guys that lift with their necks either by looking up or rounding their backs. You can't train proper squats without weight and even 20 pounds can lead to injury.
Funny you say "meme" to avoid criticism and then reply with a meme of your own.