400m sprinters

Anyone here trains athletics - 400m sprint? What are the best workouts during off season(fall)? Should I start with fartleks?

i like doing leg presses.
also ohp is great for building shoulders and core (if you are standing)
for explosiveness, deadlift and squats.

just do deadlifts

Definitely continue strength training in the correct fashion, as you can't be fast/explosive without developing the right muscles. Generally, the late summer/ early fall is used to build up a base so that the transition to the track is a smooth one. Fartleks are a decent workout early on, as are hill reps with good form, and really any timed interval that is achievable with very little rest (i.e. 600 m repeats @ 2:02 with 90 sec rest)

But on days you're not doing workouts, it is important that you get in a solid 3-5 mile run to maintain what you've built, until you start specializing in the track.

Nah famalam. Don't listen to these fags. Do OLY lifts, sprints, jump rope, ergo rowing, cycling and more sprints.

Strength training will make you slower. Small amounts of strength training might help, but don't do more than 1 day of strength training per week.
Seriously, the best training for sprints is sprinting. Do a 200 flat out, then do 10 box jumps. Rest for 3 minutes, repeat until you puke.

Nigga did you just tell a anaerobic athlete to train aerobic?
kek

You're right, I shouldn't have said "strength" training in the traditional sense. Olympic lifts are better than trying to grow muscles. But running 200 all out and then jumping on boxes will not make you faster, only ensure that your next rep is slow and teach your body how to run slow with poor form. Unless the rest period is super long.

>400m sprint
>run 3-5 miles to maintain
Wut m8?

Nigga have you ever done track in high school?

t. Broke 2:00 in 800m and pr of 56.8 seconds in 400m

If you don't think Michael Johnson or van niekerk ran without sprinting for the first half of their training, you're misinformed. I'm not telling the man to get 100 miles a week. And training strictly anaerobic all year has diminishing returns. Eventually you'll see faltering times and health.

You don't do more than 4 miles in season, you usually do easier 2-3 mile runs and focus on intervals and speed workouts. Save the higher mileage for building a base pre season.

Go on youtube and search for Wayde Van Niekerk. There are interviews where they show some of his training. Copy whatever he does in those training sessions and you're good to go.

>teach your body to run slow with poor form
This thread is hurting my brain...

Bro, just trust me. I do track, read up on pylometric training. Pylometric exercises build strength and power without adding unnecessary mass. Running the 200 before fatigues the body which trains the liver to respond faster to sprints. You shouldn't train for the 400 by only running 400s as it will tire you out too much and you will need to recover for too long.

He asked for fall/preseason. We're not talking in season

HAHAA you fucking stupid cunt, you obviously went to a shit-tier school. I hit a sub-minute 400 after a week of training. 56.8 is far from impressive and doesn't require any kind of advanced training.

Are you trying to say plyo metric training here?

I used to do athletics, 400 m aka The Death Run are the worst exercise known to men and I shall be damned if I ever try to do them gain

Do you even know what the difference between anaerobic and aerobic exercise is?

And you won't tire out doing 400's if you run more than 400 meters in the preseason, which is what OP was asking about

Kek, my bad

I didn't mean I was a good athlete I meant I have experience training as a long sprinter/ mid distance runner. And I started HS track with no athletic experience. I was a skinny fat NEET until my friends got me to do sports in HS

While I agree that plyo metric exercises are beneficial, I think combining them with speed efforts on the track serves only to lessen the benefits and goals of both, rather than come together to creat one all beneficial workout.