Any other phd students here? Or people that work in technical jobs?

Any other phd students here? Or people that work in technical jobs?

I'm about to start a low carb diet but worried about compromising mental gains.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations
youtube.com/watch?v=akbJIH8FAoo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

your main concern with the low carb diet should be the implications of time travelling to the 90s. Make sure not to run into yourself as a child, and don't alter history

Thanks for the words of warning. I'll be careful.

Physics PhD checking in. Can't say I've noticed any mental drop when eating low carb, though I do feel pretty shitty all the time and I drink a lot more coffee.

I get avocado urges when on low carb too, no idea what that's about

>tfw brainlet
at least i'm jacked fuk u

srsly what the fuck does that even mean

Thissss

Also if be concerned with the time restraints that come along with cooking and eating all that shitty food.

How long have you been doing low carb for?

>not posting tensor form of Maxwell's equations
>restricting yourself to Euclidean spacetime

Are you doing a PhD in history?

>writing maxwells equations in the tensor form

sure is autism in here

I've had 2 x 1 month long low carb periods during my PhD, I don't know if I could take much more than that

>mfw physics master student
>tfw doing research on grapgene
>tfw got invited to a conference next month due to an article me and my supervisor put up on arXiv
>tfw easily acing grad courses since I read Springer books while doing cardio
>tfw getting paid to read and write journal articles
>tfw taking 1 to 1.5 hours out of every other day to lift literally has no detrimental effects on my productivity
>tfw OP is just a lanky DYEL who's never lifted weights nor homotopies
Downside is that I literally have no social life.

>what are differential forms
>he has to write out dF = J in local coordinates
>calling others brainlets

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations

Kek. Math PhD reporting in.

kek

you believe that user

Sounds pretty perf to me. When/if all those new female grads start moving into the field those conferences are basically going to be like Comic-con.

>female grads
>in theoretical physics
Rofl consider some other field if your goal is to bag bitches, my sweet summer child.
Nice. What was/is your thesis on?

One can hope.

Density of rational points on some smooth protective varieties

>Be optical physicist
>Start phd in microscopy
>Working with a lot of biologists
>Suddenly girls, girls everywhere
>Only guy in the whole lab that lifts

Why do I have a gf again?

>algebraic geometry
Wew lad.

Stimulants are your friend. I wouldn't want to be doing academic work at all with the brain fog though, fuck that shit.

>bothering with fucking tensors for maxwell's equations

It's actually more analytic number theory

Does this have any implications for any real applications? Or is it purely abstract?

>asking about applications of number theory
Application to other parts of math maybe.

fuk u nerds

Just defended my dissertation. Congratulations to you and the others here who've started grad school.

I've low-carbed intermittently throughout in order to lose weight. I'll say that the first 1-2 days of fog is the worst, and even that's not so bad. Think of a moderate hangover; more lethargy and distraction than anything.

If you're doing keto, expect the same but with more cravings. At no time was my performance ever really inhibited, but I can't say I'd recommend inducing during a high-workload period. Save it for a [long] weekend or during winter/summer "breaks".

I came down for my program as a 270 lb. fatfuck and I'm 192 now.

Good luck with your studies user.

>Physics PhD checking in. Can't say I've noticed any mental drop when eating low carb, though I do feel pretty shitty all the time and I drink a lot more coffee.

Do you have any good way to measure the energyconsumption of the brain regulary (daily if possible)? One could look at it just like lifting and try to increase it by thinking. Also it would be interesting to find out if the "rest" energy consumption changes if you change your food.

>tfw too intelligent for school
one day the schools will catch up

Thanks for the post. Congrats on completing.

Did you do IF or just low carb?

>tfw finished my Physics Bachelors but realized I am too much of a brainlet to be anyone of importance within Physics

And now I study philosophy :^) Would you like a side with your burger, sirs?

Field? What was your thesis on? Was it masters or PhD?

There's no such thing as varied genetic intelligence between people in the same sense that there's no such thing as varied genetic ability to build muscle (I. E. There's a genetic component but most people can reach pretty great levels).
Problem is "intelligence" is more difficult to program as we age past our childhood / teens (think early onswt low test) and it's much harder to learn how to learn and how to think intelligently and critically.

FUK U NERD

IF almost always. It's just too easy (for me, anyway): Skip breakfast, eat peri-workout, and then have a bit more later? Sign me up.

It's also easier to manage mealprep/timing during the no-life periods around thesis/dissertation/paper/poster/comprehensive exam redzones.

Low-carbed when I was trying to cut. Full-on keto. As a disclaimer I'll say that keto/low carb isn't magic: calories are a function of carbs/fats/protein (yes, I needed a PhD for that). But managing two moving parts is easier than managing three, so it worked better for me. ymmv

If there's an interaction effect between IF and low-carb, I didn't see it. It may only manifest at lower bf levels, and I never dipped beyond 10%.

I'll also say that low-carb keto seemed to work really well for bf loss vs. the weight-loss that I noticed from simple caloric restriction. However, there are too many covariates in play; I'm not comfortable saying that macro distribution was the primary factor resulting in bf loss.

PhD is in Psychology; dissertation was in quantitative psychology. Would recommend.

Oh right, dissertation was a Monte Carlo simulation related to problems in mixed/hierarchical linear regression.

Basically I made a program that fabricated data that approximated real-world datasets, and evaluated whether certain statistical assumptions actually mattered.

>evaluated whether certain statistical assumptions actually mattered.
Well did they?

That doesn't sound like psychology rofl. How do models of psychology even be quantitative enough for MC to be applicable? Or do you mean behavioural psychology where you model populations with dynamical systems?
You got any examples of what your model looks like?

>PhD is in Psychology

Literally easy mode bullshit kek

Doing (though really badly) a PhD in Aerospace Engineering. Want to make it with my band.

How do? Tell /fit me

Some did, some didn't. The one I was primarily interested in was whether the distribution of subjects/datapoints (m) per cluster (k) impacted the design effect (i.e. how fucked up your estimates are if you only use simple random sampling on clustered data).

The assumption is that data in clustered datasets follows a uniform distribution (all clusters have 5 people/timepoints/whatever) when most real-world datasets have ranges m per k. Estimates germane to hierarchical models (such as the design effect) usually are presented with caution that unbalanced data may fuck your estimates.

In the end, the estimates don't really seem to be influenced much vis. uniform distribution vs. not. Initially that's kinda depressing for me, since I didn't discover anything amazing, but it's also kinda cool, because it means in practice researchers don't need to fret about unbalanced m-sizes.

>in my 3rd week of intro statistics course we have to take for no good reason
i understood some of those words

This made me laugh stupidly

> Initially that's kinda depressing for me, since I didn't discover anything amazing, but it's also kinda cool, because it means in practice researchers don't need to fret about unbalanced m-sizes.

making life easier for other researchers is always a good thing.

sounds like your dissertation was mostly about statistics and research design rather than psychology. was there something more that related it specifically to psychology?

Grad/actual psychology isn't really what you're presented with in undergrad. It's much less the rote memorization nonsense and much more how to design experiments and consume research.

I'll agree with in that a BA or BS in Psych is easymode (and yet we STILL have undergrads who can't fucking manage it), but again, the magic tricks you're shown in Intro Psych aren't really relevant once you're in grad school. I can't even remember the name of the authors of the initial paper on misattribution of arousal. Fun fact: There was an article in Science not long ago that tried and failed to recreate the results seen in the famous experiments/phenomena we teach everyone about in undergrad. Google "Crisis of replication in psychology".

As for MC, HLMs have so many moving parts that closed-form solutions are either impractical or impossible. So rather than doing it via a proof, I did it (or tried) empirically. It was the datasets themselves that were of interest (the m distribution, k, effect size, ICC, etc.) so I varied them on those factors.

The actual linear model was very simple, only two IVs and an interaction (so three Xs), but since everything's crossed the number of required datasets increases multiplicatively. I ended up with over 6 million datasets for analysis. It took 3 PCs 2 months to sim the data, and another 4 to analyze it (because one of the motherfuckers had a HDD failure midway through).

I'm doing a bad job of explaining, but the dissertation was more about the [statistical] method used in psych (and education, and chemistry, and pretty much everywhere) than it was about one particular instance of that method's usage.

Applied math Pretty huge Dick student here. I have never noticed anything difference while on a low carb diet. In fact I would say I am even more energetic although I suspect that is because I am usually hitting the gym and in a nice routine while I am on a low carb diet (ie correlation not causation).

Also coffeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

cont.

I explain it to my normie friends this way: your cellphone usually works and you don't question it. But unless you're an electrical engineer you don't question it; you don't care about sim cards and resistors and shit unless or until it stops working. It's impractical to buy 6 million cellphones and wait for them to stop working, but it's important to know why any given cellphone might not receive texts or explode (looking at you, Samsung). So I basically simulated 6 million cellphones and then stress-tested them to see if I could make any of them break.

Researchers use HLM all the time and because it's arcane [not really, but they don't have the time or training to understand it in depth] they expect it to work without question. So the dissertation was simply to test whether that was wise and, if not, when not.

get off your high horse

I can't be productive enough to get good grades unless I eat at least a bit above maintenance. As result I slowly gained fat from october to july and had to spend the summer cutting as quickly as I could.
How do I stay aware and focused enough during the day without eating too much? When I'm trying to study hungry or on a cutting diet it's just so inefficient I'd never get anything done like that.
Am I just a brainlet?

New computer science PhD student here.

> but the dissertation was more about the [statistical] method used in psych (and education, and chemistry, and pretty much everywhere)

so you could've done that dissertation in any other field?

Pharmacy PhD here!

Eh. It depends what level you're talking about. I agree that most people, with the proper early intellectual stimulation, can do great in high school and even in most colleges. However, few people have the neurological wiring to be truly successful at STEM grad work. It's like anything else where a fraction of a percent survive: they're all genetically gifted.

keto is known to improve mental clarity.

and you say you're a phd student lol

I forgot to mention that there's actually a lot of work involving this in relation to success at top colleges. I think the cutoff for success at these schools is determined to be an IQ of 120 or 125. Fact is, the majority of people probably couldn't have tacked on 20+ IQ points even with a great upbringing.

For a particularly depressing perspective on this, see Charles Murray's "Belmont & Fishtown".

here's a (You)

I'm an engineer and on keto. Didn't really notice anything after the keto flu mentally but I do more project management than calculations. I do enjoy the higher energy level I seem to be getting and feel like sleep is better than before (more energy, less hours). Also feel more motivated.

I work as an engineer for a defense contractor, and I'm working on my master's

My lifts are shit though so I don't count

>tfw one more year of math BS to go and want to go into grad school
>almost all math people are lanklets or S^2
>had one professor who lifted, my inspiration

Can't wait to try help break the stereotype.

Well, it's not impossible, I suppose. Usually other fields focus more on solely the "applied" or the "statistics" portions of applied statistics though; stressing internships on one side, or only deterministic models on the other.

But it's certainly applicable to several fields. My references section has journals from stats, biostats, education, business, psych, and a mishmash of others.

the commonly referred to application of number theory is cryptography.

In short.

1. Implies that the electrical fields behave like water in a sense that the total flux through a given closed imaginary area around a source is equal to the passing charge or a charge accumulated within.

The integral formulation of this equation would imply that at least. The differential form, which is given, implies that the spatial density of the charge is proportional to how much the field radiates outwards or inwards relative to the source.

2. No magnetic monopoles. Lines of magnetic fields are closed, even if you were to stretch them infinitely.

3. Changing magnetic flux induces EMF in a circuit.
Obvious use in electrical engines.

4. The speed of light can be derived out of this, implies a thing similar to 3, but the other way around. Useful for calculating magnetic fields.

That's the gist of it, without getting into anything complicated.

I did my dissertation on a ridiculously niche topic of CFD applications within the aerospace industry. I slow bulked through the entirety of my undergrad and started keto the first year of my doctorate. You will feel super sluggish for the first couple of days and may struggle a bit with feeling motivated to actually get shit done but after that you'll be back to normal or even better.

this is the most ridiculously wordy thread of pseudointellectualism I've ever seen.

While a few of you might be legitimately bright and well rounded I hope to god a few personalities are being shrouded by some sort of online autism.
>phd thread
>not being in the club

pic extremely related

>tfw mirin my real analysis professor's sik forearms and weird brazilian accent

I'm a phd student.
Cutting has never been an issue for me, the main problem is finding the time to go to the gym while putting in enough hours in the lab.

>talking about dissertations and graduate level research topics
>psuedointellectual
Are you just a salty undergrad that never got into grad school or something? Being verbose comes with getting a doctorate since the things you are trying to explain can't really be dumbed down into laymans terms.

M'tip

>Being verbose
The grad students here aren't even being particularly verbose.

>thinking "tensor" automatically refers to local coordinate representation
>not realizing "tensor" has invariant meaning as section of a tensor bundle
wew

im an electrical eng PhD candidate and im on steroids fuck off with your pussy shit faggot. lmao

MD/PhD (BME) here. Had a hard time working out MS 1-2, but it has become easier now that I'm in lab full time and on a stipend. My work is clinical TBI research so its a day or 2 of data collection, followed by 2 weeks of analysis and modeling in matlab. Plus the hospital gym is just down the block.

a look at these undergrads might put things in perspective

youtube.com/watch?v=akbJIH8FAoo

I really hope you people start taking shit here more seriously, this thread reminded me how important it is to shitpost.

Fuckin go shove a thesarus up your verbose asses.

>start taking shit here more seriously
>it is important to shitpost
pick one

I found this thread interesting (though my stat background is shabby to put it nicely)
You bros find your phd's rewarding? How's finding work?
I'd love to go back and do a phd but when I was a senior in college it looked like a sunk investment

Have a pity (You)

Lol. So much effort for nothing. You should have just consulted with an actual statistician that specializes in non parametric statistics, and they probably could have saved you a lot of time.

What did you expect from a pseudoscience /x/-tier graduate who's trying this hard to pretend as if he's doing actual math?

Combined MD/PhD programs are extremely difficult to get into, from what i've seen. Congrats

CAFFEINE
A
F
E
I
N
E

>phd/masters programs
>not just getting a bach in engineering then getting straight into the work force to make dosh

enjoy the extra debt and not getting hired fot being overqualified

Some people get bored working out sums all day

work isn't supposed to be fun

that's why it's called work

What setting?

Maybe engineering isnt

Not all work is like that, I love programming work. There's some programming work you can only get with a Masters/PhD like Computer Vision/Machine Learning that looks even more fun

>extra debt
>this brainlet can't get into grad school without full stipend and funding so he thinks that's the case for everyone else as well
Confirmed never even looked into grad school due to hopelessly low GPA.

I'm having serious issues with staying focused in classes, I don't know why this is happening but it started probably around the time I started undergrad E&M, senior year. Now I'm in my first year of grad school and it's driving me mad that my mind goes other places during lecture.

How do I fix this problem, Veeky Forums?

Electrical engineer/Computer Science here :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Anyone have experience with regular amphetamine use & maintaining a bulk + raising lifts???

I've been hitting the addy hard the past week or two and every day after, if I go lift, my joints are stiff and creaky af and my lift is usually terrible and hard. I'm just gonna lay off the shit for a while methinks.

>started undergrad EM
>in senior year
>somehow now in grad school
First of all intro to EM classes are taught to 3rd year classes at the latest. If it took you all the way to senior year to take that then honestly you're not grad school material.
Secondly you're spacing out because you don't enjoy learning the material. Grad school will be extremely stressful and difficult for you since you 1) don't understand the fundamentals that allows you to do research and 2) you don't enjoy doing said research.

Quit now.

If anything, I find that it makes lifting easier. I just have to focus more on eating enough.

My uni's program was set up so you take mathematical physics and modern physics before you take E&M in your final semester. Quantum is 2nd half of junior 1st half of senior year.

Maybe your school is just different. I still understand the concepts, the focusing problem was pretty minor in undergrad, feels worse now.

>you take E&M in your final semester
*final year, not final semester

E&M is two semesters

my lack of sleep is showing, probably time to go to bed.

Talk to your advisor.

Oh yeah if I take it in the morning before a workout, it's like caffeine in that it improves my lift a bit. But I usually take it on my rest days and do homework. So the next day when my adrenals and everything are shot to shit and I'm still recovering from the drugs, I just feel like an anus

wtf I'm a second year and they're giving us E&M why does doing physics have to hurt so much

>paying for graduate school

EM is fun if you know what you're doing. Maybe go back to redo vector calc if you can't keep up.