ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6758355
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3127426
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1548337
authoritynutrition.com/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting/
youtu.be/l272mz5j0zE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No it works 100%

Living is a meme.

no. IF and fasting in general is about strict control of insulin to make gains or induce lipolysis. it works.

Maximum broscience

stop posting retard

U

It's pure broscience based on flawed or inconclusive """studies"""

there is nothing "inconclusive" about where your body derives energy from in a fasted state you dumb fuck

i have a phd in gastrointestinal health. fasting is not a meme

lmfao

Post proof that definitively proves this shit

Citation needed faggot. Even the ultimate shill leangains says IF is about diet adherence and hunger. The couple of studies about insulin are inconclusive and irrelevant. Meal timing is only taken seriously by roiders, maybe it's relevant to them but not to most people.

Nope, it will reduce your appetite and you'll eat less. Just try it and see if it works for you or not.

This.

Look I even do IF, but pretending it raises iq, test, growth hormone, igf-1, makes ur dick bigger, makes you richer and stronger like every autist does is pure unfounded bs

>The couple of studies about insulin are inconclusive and irrelevant.

what the fuck is this? did medical science somehow forget that food causes an insulin response?

>growth hormone, igf-1

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6758355
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3127426
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1548337

consider suicide.

>is if a meme
/thread

You don't know what shill is referring to or anything else you're talking about

>lower calories and inducing self glycogen consumption and production is proven to increase life span in all studied life forms

KNEW YOU'D LINK THOSE STUDIES

LOL

Read them retard. It's referring to MULTIPLE DAY FASTS, ie not what IF is - usually 8 hour feeding window per day.

LOOOOOL DUMB ASS FUCK TRIPFAG KYS IDIOT LOL

Read ur own links dumb fuck

AT BEST, AT BEST you can claim that since a 5 day fast is beneficial, fasting 16 hrs a day is too, but to a lesser extent. Which is a guess but unfounded on empirical evidenxe.

Retard

Lmfaooo

>>Read them retard. It's referring to MULTIPLE DAY FASTS, ie not what IF is - usually 8 hour feeding window per day.

IF is 16/8, 20/4, 23/1, 5-2 (eat stop eat), alternate day fasting, etc. there are all sorts of variations of fasting and the 18/6 schedule that martin berkham came up with is not the only way to fast.

that aside, i really do not give a shit about any changes in gh secretion, the most important thing we can gather from just about every study on short and long-term fasting is it's ability to maintain healthy insulin sensitivity, reverse long-term insulin resistance, and induce lipolysis if your goal is to burn fat.

A dumb f*** 18 - 24 hour fast are extremely beneficial to your overall health. There are many studies done to conclude that intermittent fasting has many positive effects. Quit being an ignorant f*****.

authoritynutrition.com/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting/

None of those prove it.

Read the links dude, look at them from an unbiased point of view instead of seeing what you want to see.

DISCLAIMER: I DO INTERMITTENT FASTING, IT MIGHT HAVE GREAT BENEFITS. BUT THERES NO PROOF THAT AN 16:8 SCHEDULE IS AS BENEFICIAL AS CLAIMED WIDELY

I think that's a bit of a stretch. It might be true though, but it's a very long stretch to extrapolate

A nonzero response in a statistical test is almost completely meaningless when working with diets because everything is correlated with pretty much everything else, meaning if you do something to somebody's diet, chances are insulin will move up or down. Statistical tests typically test for a non-zero or directional correlation, the practical significance of which is minimal, because it could mean you gain 0.3% more muscle per year, yet that would be plenty to find that p < 0.05.

Furthermore, long as a sample size is large enough p = P(Data|Null Hypothesis) will be lower than the required arbitrary significance of 0.05 and unless you're going into the experiment under the assumption that the null is wrong over 90% of the time P(Null Hypothesis|Data) will be significantly higher than P(Data|Null). Meaning that P-Value of exactly 0.05 is a mathematical guarantee that the probability the null is true is greater than 0.05 unless you calculate the probability under the assumption that the null had a 0% chance of being true going into the experiment.

TL;DR a p value greater than about 0.01 indicates high variance in the actual probability that the null is true and even when the p-value is very low, it doesn't give any indication of the direction, nor magnitude of the effect and further study must be conducted. Hence, any study that concludes a significant effect of practical magnitude based on a null hypothesis statistical test requires further testing to conclude magnitude and direction of result, otherwise the results are by definition, inconclusive.

Specific bastardisations of the scientific process in studies you posted include very small sample size, lack of any kind of long term testing and the fallacious assumption that a statistically significant result is an indication of a practically significant magnitude of a result. I didn't bother reading them either, there's probably more.

Each links to a real study with factual evidence, what are you talking about bro.

I just told you dumbdumb

Low samplesize, not the type of fast most IF followers will do(fasting for 5 days...? Good bye gains), requires more research, etc.

Just read through them.

jesus dude are you 12?

It's a meme in that it is a psychological phenomenon. Like kpop or monster truck rallies.

you just wasted a whole lot of smart words on a tripfag

lmao fuck you asshole

i dont care who you are i will find you and force you to fast 16 hour so you can feel its benefit

lol whos the retard now?
protip:(You)

fuck you faggot this is not copypasta
you will never make it stupid
who do you think you are
never laugh to us fast apprentice
what KYS? no YOU KYS IDIOT
you like to consume everthing 24/7? i'll find you and make you eat every 30 minutes, see the result.. maybe its cancer 4u.. AT BEST you'll become obese.. fuck off kys heavy consumer

iam using it for 2 months now and keeping a caloric deficit has never ever been easier and more enjoyable.

>Insulin
>GH
>Test
>Whippedy-floop-dah factor 11

Meaningless tangential issues.

>Will cutting half of your eating time off allow you to maintain a caloric deficit

Probably.

Same deal with pretty much any structured diet. They all rely to some extent in removing a major food group or food source thus making it easier to maintain a deficit (i.e. the only factor that matters in weight loss). Find one that you can maintain and stick to it.

Im with you, lets find this bastard consumer fag!

WEIGHT (not defining whether fat or muscle) GAIN/LOSS IS ONLY A FUNCTION OF CALORIC SURPLUS/DEFICIT
BODY COMPOSITION (muscle and bf%) IS ONLY A FUNCTION OF HORMONES, AND STRESS/RECOVERY CYCLES

If IF does anything for your hormones it is marginal, and I'm pretty sure there is a trade-off with constantly feeding your body with glycogen and AAs which makes both lifestyles beneficial.

>marginal

Yes. This means that subtracting 50 kcal from your diet or choosing to do dips instead of skullcrushers will have a far greater impact on your fat loss and body comp.

And if you are someone who wants to make the tiniest bit count, you'd better cut out ALL processed sugar and eat only potatoes, beans and green veggies for carbs before even considering IF, because these changes will also benefit you far more.

If you are an extremely busy individual that wants to make every second count, first get off Veeky Forums immediately and then consider saving 20 minutes off your life by not eating breakfast.

If it makes you feel better and more energized, placebo or not, by all means go for it. Feeling good, strong and alert throughout the day is the most important thing in your personal life and the best step towards self-improvement you'll ever make.

Tl;dr: do, or do not. There is no try.

i´ll try it

>BODY COMPOSITION (muscle and bf%) IS ONLY A FUNCTION OF HORMONES, AND STRESS/RECOVERY CYCLES
tell me more

I won't go on about insulin or whatever the bros talk about on here, but I find it easier with my lifestyle to manage my calorie intake by having a reduced feed window. It works for me cause I work 9 to 5, and train at 5pm. Eating at 12, then 3, and then 7 suits me. I'm a fatty on the inside, and it helps me be diligent by having defined times I eat.

This.

The benefit of it is purely structural. Everything else is dubious and not proven.

I like you, Keep it up!

youtu.be/l272mz5j0zE

This video basically debunks all your nonsense. I hate people like you who can't admit they're wrong.

Thanks mang.

Nice to see someone understands statistics.

There's so much bullshit in the fitness/diet world that people think is "scientifically proven" when it's not even close.

A 10 minute video where he essentially says nothing. What was the point of linking this? He doesn't make a single point besides, "fasting is not anabolic", which, if the only reason to follow IF was to promote anabolism, would be true, but it isn't. Obviously stuffing your face non stop all day long is the most "anabolic" diet, but you'll also turn into a fat shit doing this.

He doesn't address insulin resistance or insulin sensitivity at all, or the potential benefits of IF while cutting. Why not?

>>Nice to see someone understands statistics.

There were a lot of words in his post but again, like the video above, he didn't really say much at all. The same could be said for just about any paper linked here that does not have a long-term follow up study to supplement it's conclusion.

NHST works for some things, for diet it does not.

if it does the job, which it does, it's not a meme

it's supposed to make a low calorie diet easier to maintain by reducing hunger and simplifying your meal plan and that's exactly what it does

Fuck no. I decided to take a rest period on my cut to get an increase in my lifts but stuck to a fasting window while basically eating whatever I felt like.

I gained exactly 0 pounds. Fuck, I may have lost weight.

Well it fucking works for me.

I say only try it, if it works for you good, if not then good too.

i dont really know if it works scientifically or not

but its a god send for fat fucks like me who are constantly hungry and struggle with it. 1 or 2 huge meals in a short space keeps you satisfied and feeling full much longer than drip feeding yourself 6 meals a day

The problem with this thread is the people hating on IF and saying it's unneffective broscience probably look like shit and have never tried it themselves. Just look at CBTs for reference.

All that stuff about IIFYM being all you need? There's a reason those guys end up having to work harder to get a good bf%. You need to watch quality and quantity

IF has NOTHING to do with eating clean. That's something else altogether than can improve any diet.

I do IF. It works in the sense that I 1) don't have to eat breakfast, which I hate doing and 2) only have 2 meals per day, which means I can pig out and still wind up below 1800kcal/day which is great since I'm cutting. I neither believe nor care about the magical properties; it's just another method of hunger management when cutting.

>knows stat
I love you, user.

yes

IF people are cancerous and on the same level of crossfit
/thread

>Calls other people cancerous
>/threads his own post

Wow **** you!!

Wow fart you dude you think I won't come over there and fart you up you dumb farting idiot?

I'm sorry to curse but you just make me so farting angry.

this.

6 months for me and is dead easy.

I am not a scientist but I have been If for like a year and I have noticed more improvement

I'm also lifting alot and eating well though so Idk how much of it is meal timing. 2bh I started it because I was missing breakfast all the time anyways and the IF timing worked better with my lifestyle. Another thing to consider is that I am trying to bulk so I eat huge amounts later on just not before noon or I excersize

no
/thread

An other faggot who /threads his own post.

It has nothing to do with better gains or better insulin or some shit.

It's just a cutting method. Most people skip breakfast and have a big lunch/dinner.

For me I eat a big breakfast, skip lunch, then have a big dinner. I find it works better with my work and school schedule. An example would be

Breakfast at 7am - 500-1100 calories:

Peanut butter and banana sandwich - 500 calories
3-5 eggs, with tuna, spinach, and other veggies - 400 to 600 calories

Skip lunch. During this time I'm at work or school and don't want to bother bringing food with me and worrying about heating it up or keeping it cold.

Dinner at ~8pm - 600-900 calories:
Cucumber and broccoli with cottage cheese dipping - 180-250 calories
Turkey burger, chicken, beans, or whatever main course - 200-600 calories

Total calories: 1600-1800
Each meal is fulfilling and I'm usually busy during the day so I don't think about food. Great cutting technique if you're active throughout the day.

Retard alert

I usually do a long fast until the afternoon or evening once a week and dont eat breakfast if I'm cutting. Doesnt make you eat any less and I can immediately return to bulking the next day

Not that user but another IF:er. It doesn't "reduce your appetite" in the sense that you can't eat lots, but it does get easier and easier to fast. After a few months now I just plain don't feel hungry before the afternoon - I can still eat lots if I want to, I just don't have to.

Source? On the girl I mean

>drip feeding

That's a good way of putting it.