Warmups for the first few weeks of 5x5

Hello Veeky Forums

I have read around and I plan to start a 5x5 workout. However I am very very weak and I shall probably have to use the bar in my first workouts. How would I perform warmup sets in my first week if I'm using the bar in my final set of that exercise? Would I just do a similar exercise with dumbells?

I started with the bar too (skelly) and for your warmups just do bodyweight squats.

SL is bad. Do SS instead, including reading the book. It's the same shit, just more efficient. SL will bring you to the same place, but it will take longer to get there.

just get the motion down without any equipment

>SL is bad
wrong
>It's the same shit
wrong

it's a middle ground for hypertrophy and strength, if you want strength then ok do SS, if you want strength and size then do SL
I went from 60 kg squat to 105 kg in less than 3 months on SL
SL has a lot of free information on the site

Also: don't neglect doing stretches after your workout, Esepcially gay but important ones like ankle stretches, wrist stretches, and hip flexor stretches. Having abysmal mobility will fuck up you later.

And there is nothing wrong with doing curls for your arms lol nothing wrong with being a curlbro and getting some nice looking arms. you wan tthem as much as you want strong legs i promise

Just some things people often don't do when starting SS

Do bodyweight (no weight added) or use light dumbbells if you really feel like you need some.

Mehdi is a great marketer. Rip has the experience. It's your choice whom to believe. Neither is bad but ss is certainly better.

Oh and mehdi says once u reach a high enough weight switch to 3x5. No one says to do 5x5, even the reg parks beginner routine has 2 warm-up low weight sets included in the 5x5

Op learn from ss and do either of them. As for warmups follow a pattern like this

I've been doing 5x5 for a month now and man it's a lot of volume. I'm usually totally gassed by my fourth rep and I fail a lot on my 5th. Should I bump it down to a 3x5?

Yes. Then break down to 3x3.

All of my highschool gains were on 3x3, i never did 5x5 or 5x3 until later in life.

I go to 3x3 on bench quick.

No, i would bet all my money you are not eating and sleeping properly. With that i mean:

- eating 0.8-0.9 g of protein/lb of bodyweight (i would go as low as 0.7 if you are overweight) and AT LEAST 100 to 200 calories above maintenance per day. I say AT LEAST, meaning you can go up to 500 if you are skelly without gaining much fat. Also a lot of your calorie intake should come from carbs, not fats, because they are the one fueling you in the gym (and if you are gassed out... the problem is probably here)

- sleep 7 to 8 GOOD hours of sleep a night. If you tend to sleep like shit or need a lot of time to fall asleep: go for 9 hours

And the next thing goes for:
I certainly find that, for a newbie eating and sleeping enough, SL is better than SS, mainly because it has more volume and it lets you practice more the main lifts. 2 more sets of a lift you are mastering (which if you are a newbie you still need to do) really count. I did SS for 4 months and had to stop because i left for a 2month trip, when i came back i started doing SL and i find that I'm getting used to the lifts way better than before. But this is only my personal experience. Plus the increased volume, if recovered correctly (which is completely possible if you are eating andd sleeping enough) will get you gains faster than SS.

That said, it is true that when you start gettting pretty strong for a newbie, cutting down to 3x5 is neccesary or you just die. But several months at 5x5 are really good IMO to get the muscle foundation and for getting used to the main lifts form.

If you want to progress as fast as possible, my advice is that you get your sleep and nutrition in order and do 5x5 as long as possible. And this should not take only one month or two.

But if you don't mind going slower, then yeah you can go to 3x5, but anyway i reccomend you getting your nutrition and sleep on point or you will just be in the same point in 2 or 3 weeks.

And, when you hear people saying to "switch to 3x5 in SL" they mean when you are squating (as a man) 120kg+ for 5 reps to give you an idea. They refer to the point on where you are getting close to an intermediate state and your recovery needs more time, no matter how much you eat or sleep at this point.

Could I warmup with dumbell exercises or machines doing the same exercise?

I agree that 3x5 is better for progress but isn't 5x5 less likely to get your injured.

Also, under the assumption that you switch to 3x5 eventually on Stronglifts, why is it inherently worse?

I understand why SS is so good for building stength, but why risk the additional chances of injury it brings, when you can just switch to 3x5 when you start to stall and get another stretch of fast linear gains?

I do SL only because my gym doesn't allow clean and jerks anymore, and unfortunately it's the only gym that's not some planet fitness or 24 hour fitness crap (more than one squat rack).

should i start with high reps for squats? never squated before so i will be sore as fuck. SRS question im starting tomorrow and im flexed and not atheltic at all despite big musular upperbody

Follow the program man, seriously.

I was thinking maybe doing 5x5s but then doing some arm stuff on the rest days, with some low weight/high rep stuff for calves and forearms too. Is this a bad idea?

bump

>wew

Hey anyone have any good running workout plans or something? I just list 20 pounds and lost most of my gains from the gym. Haven't been to the gym since June. I'm contemplating on moving to more cardio/running exercises. Should I do it or go back to the gains life?
5'8 , 18y/o, 1rep bench=175,squat=275 , power clean =150 in 6months training(stopped in June). What should I expect if I get into running as in calories wise? Because I love me some food but I want to lose bf and tone.

How is SL for weight loss? Fa tfag currently cutting at 500 deficit and just started SL.