Are wide lat pull downs a meme?

Are wide lat pull downs a meme?
I don't want to be the autist who does a meme exercise

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/b3nR1lkJDCM?t=4m8s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I dont know but i do them with pullups and chinups. I never feel like my lats are being targetted though. What are some good exercises to get dem wings?

Why do lat pull downs when chinups and pullups exist?

I've never done wide and I have wings.

Also fuck pull downs I got my wings from flying. 100lb weighted pulls @ 180lbs.

yes, can be used to really get in deep at the bottom of the pull to get the lats, but most people go as fast as they can, getting rid of any gains. Better off working on your pullups and muscleups

if you are supposed to put your legs and shoulderwidth during a conventional dl, why should you go wide as fuck during a squat, if you have the mobility to hit depth with a narrow stance?

See bradley martin for example

I like lat pulldowns a lot more than pullups/chinups because I feel em

Because you are to fator to weak to lift yourself up dont lie. Your like 90% of the gym goers.

I didn't feel chins until I could do more than 6, then the back pumps were absurd

They're a reasonable exercise, but the wide grip = wide lats thing is total bullshit.

Because they're different fucking exercises with completely different biomechanics?

No dude, im already doing 3x10 +25lbs pullups but I just don't feel it

You shouldn't go wide as fuck that's a fat powerlifter meme used to reduce rom

Then go heavier retard. I refuse to believe you dont feel it. You are lying.

how so, it's basically a reverse hip hinge

The squat is not primarily a hip hinge movement. If yours looks like that, you're doing it seriously wrong.

you start the squat by hinging at your hips

Only in lowbar. And barely any hinge unless you're using a geared squat form. That's not the same thing as it being predominately a hip-hinge movement.

Bottom line is the squat and deadlift are significantly different movements with very different forms. Asking why people deadlift narrow but don't squat with that width is like asking why people ohp with a narrow grip but don't bench with the same width.

bradley martin squats with a very narrow stance though and he goes upward of 6plates so I'm guessing it's not _wrong_ to do so

>wide grip = wide lats thing is total bullshit.
this, lat pulldowns can be good but you need narrower grip

Martin's stance is by no means as narrow as you'd want a normal deadlift stance to be.

He also squats high as a kite, which is partially related to that stance.

You are wrong for both things you said

youtu.be/b3nR1lkJDCM?t=4m8s

His stance seems wide because he's a big guy but it's not wide if you look at his proportions

Your deadlift stance really should not look like that (it's hip width by default). The only reason you'd pull conventional that wide is if you're too fat to get down without your gut blocking the pull.

the only things that's wide about that is the way he positions his knees outward to get into the hole, his stance is narrow.

lifting is stupid

Its still well outside hip width, which is where you want a deadlift stance to be. It's a relatively narrow stance for squatting but wider than a normal deadlift stance (which is an important difference - trying to hit depth with a hip-width stance without rounding is basically impossible for most people since there's no room to get the hips through. Try it and see. It's one of the major reasons you can't effectively use a deadlift stance for cleaning or snatching).