/run/ - Running General

Last thread about to die.

Remember to keep a steady pace, keep hydrated (WATER), check your form, and eat proper.

Noob? google search 2C5K

Wellcome brehs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6BmtGNjm7BE
youtube.com/watch?v=yxkQfPhwZt0
breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-sprint-your-way-to-a-6-pack
bodybuilding.com/fun/par46.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=vB1V9iPewE0
coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/136.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

tfw Steve helped out at aths training every Wednesday during high school and I didn't download all of his running wisdom

Anyone feel like sharing their warmup for middle/xc? Would be much appreciated

Should I focus on improving my times or distance after finishing 5k for heart gains?

Need more info - km times, experience etc

Distance will get you farther :)

Warm-up: running drills, (sometimes we'd run 5-10min before our actual run)

Look up running drills though, runnersworld has a good one. You only really need to warm up with drills really, unless you're doing a speed workout then you'd want to run before hand 2-4 miles

Why is C25k always recommended? That shit is a waste of time, it shouldn't take you more than 1-2weeks to run 5k without stopping. Yes even if you're a complete noob

Oh hey look it's that
>i benched 225 a month in
faggot everyone hates.

Because fat people who can't run that far exist

thanks m8!

I've been running for about 2-3months and did biking before that.
Currently I'm at about 30min 5km run and 1hour 45min 41km for biking .

I try to run 3 to 4 times a week and bike twice a week.
I'm also on a small cut trying to reach 10% bf

I'd say increase your mileage but decrease speed a bit - 40-50 runs at a reasonable pace are good to build up base, work in some cheeky intervals and you'll improve a lot

Any flats you'd suggest for xc? I had some lunarspiders in high school and they were simply fantastic but they don't make them anymore

reposting the sprint guide some user posted

>How to sprint

>Sprint Drills for Speed, Run Faster, Plyometrics, Jump Higher

>How to Sprint Your Way to a 6-Pack

>Sprinting: The Purest, Most Powerful Physique-Shaper In An Athlete's Arsenal: Part I

Overweight people, and people that never jogged in their entire life struggle with running even 1k. Absolutelly nothing wrong with that.

What do you wear to not do the helicopter?

Y'all talking about 30min 5k times are a fucking joke. Fucking weak genes or a weak soul. Fucking weakness tho. Try harder.

I'm surprised you're asking, microdick

I run a 13.53 5km so I don't share this

kys fag I always have that bulge that I am self concious about

My dick sorts of adapt to the enviroment so not my problem. When I'm running it retracts like a tongue in a dentists chair, but it lets itself go around when I'm just walking. It rests at my left thight when I'm seated.

I hate it when my weak soul makes me vomit uncontrollably

Thanks lad

sounds sensible, thanks user

I'm reading "Daniel's Running formula" at the moment to learn about programming and general running. But the book "only" talks about 800m to a marathon.
Do you guys know a book/website or whatever similar to learn about sprinting and how to train for the 100m, 400m, etc?

Join an aths club pls

Not possible, at the moment i'm studying and working, my schedule only allows me to train/go to the gym because i can manage to go in small free gaps.

At any aths club there will be people with expertise, that can help you and give you workouts to do in your own time.

Running isn't lifting...
I speak truth and you know it, btw i can only bench 1pl8, I ain't even ashamed

you're still a faggot,reaching the point of running a 30min 5k without injuring yourself takes atleast two months

Your first 5k shouldn't take longer than 30mins desu...

how to improve my half time? I want to go faster but it feels like my legs do not simply manage to move faster.

I play video games 8 hours a day
so 30 min feels pretty good to me

Why is your HR so low

My bpm stays at around 183 after 30 mins of a half, what is wrong with you no offence

my heart is big from all the feels I have

All that endurance training has had some effect on my heart.

this was 3 days ago, did some HIIT, but my heartrate still manages to stay quite low.
Enough endurance, too little muscle power... strong heart, shitty legs?
I don't know what's wrong with me, might be about some kind of sleep deprivation.

then again I have years of distance running behind me, so I don't know.

Have you tried plyometrics?

will i become good runner if i just go running freely n fast without measuring or pacing anything

i dont like equipment when im doing sports and the only stuff i use are running shoes

Have a ping, but if you don't have a watch how will you know your time ie if you're good.

Honestly I really like having a gps and hr because I can see if I'm being weak, but whatever works I guess

No... I don't know. I'm so addicted to distance I would probably just fuck up my feet doing some weird explosive training. Maybe I'll keep focusing on HIIT, the occasional fast interval is bound to increase muscle power eventually?

It occasionally feels like I'm hitting some sort of plateau, I just have real hard time getting sub 5 min pace, and even then I manage it only for a short while.

I have found that doing gym has helped a lot with my kick and starts, maybe shorten the reps a bit so you can focus on pace?

I mean the reps for HIIT obvs

Tonight was a terrible run. During my first interval felt great. Then the second one I was gassed barely moving my legs above the ground.

Legs hurt as well but not pain just felt depleted. Needless to say I made it through but today felt like a setback.

Did you warm up?

i did 27, 30 , 33 km, 21km in 90 minutes in the last 4 weekends, I want to try 42 km 2 days from now on which i will rest and eat.
Is this possible? my actual first marathon is still 3 month's out. But the weather is changing for the worse, i'm almost at the end of my training schedule that only has a few remaining 32km run's before the taper. So i want to push for the 42 already, take rest and than just go back a few weeks in my schedule and follow it untill the real marathon. I want to do it for psychological reasons so it will feel easier to do those long runs in shittier weather.
Is this possible?

Every training session you complete is progress, never a setback, even if you felt like shit.

That's the great thing about running, you can run 300 metres or 30 miles, both are better for you than not training at all.

>33km in 90 mins
what

no no, only the 21km,
excuse me for my bad englisch

All good, so your km times are pretty darn good, I'd have a go at going for the full 42. You've got plenty of time before your race and it's good to see how it feels to push out to that distance, especially if the race has the possibility to be in bad conditions. Do it but be smart

>he doesn't casually break world records on training runs

DYER?

what app/device is this?

Suunto Movescount for my Suunto sport watch.

The brooks Mach 16. I ran my best times in them and they're cheaper than a similar Nike option

After doing a first marathon, how long before you can attempt a 60 or 120 km ultra?

Heart rate too low? I don't understand. This looks bkrderline fast for an experienced endurance runner, especially on such flat terrain. Low is good. My heart only flutters when I'm completely depleted and going up hill.

Depends on whether the ultra is on a trailand your marathon was on pussy pavement. Go run 20-25 miles, alone, on a trail and you'll be ready for an ultra. The event plus social bump will get you there, assuming you are well rested (go on short hikes to stay loose, stop running before first ultra to refresh).

>GOTTA GO FAST!

explain runner nutrition to me.

If i eat carbonhydrates the run is pleasant.
If i don't then it feels like a slog.

But how does it influnce my progress,i want to run more/faster.Does running slower and feeling much more tired doing it,give me the same results as having finished the run without feeling like killing myself?

Running fast makes you fast. Running fast requires carbs. Running slower uses more fat Running without eating carbs can be used as a way to simulate the end of a long race, but the shit feeling can make your form break down and cause injury.

Just eat carbs a few hours before running, then again within the hour after running.

> that feeling when you let out a long fart in the middle of running

What model do you have?

>tfw you fart and a cyclist passes you two seconds later

Mate just eat. Carb the motherfuck up and harden the motherfuck. Eat like a Kenyan. Rice, potato's, corn. Drink a lot of water. Piss clear every 2 hours.

Suunto Ambit R2, a bit older now, but is good enough for me, all I need is just the GPS and heartrate tracking for running, don't need anything more fancy.

I guess I'll blogpost about my first marathon since some user requested it some time ago.
Goal was 3h30. I went into this with a half PR of 1h42, so I knew it was a long shot from the beginning, but I wanted to believe.

First few km went a bit slower because there were too many people and it was hard to move at the pace I wanted. Ended up losing close to 30 seconds in the first 2k, So I picked up the pace and made it back on schedule by the 10k mark.

So far, the terrain is pretty flat, and it continues that way up to 15k or so. At this point there are a few short (150-200m?) but very steep hills. Followed by a long (500m?) somewhat steep hill. This last one forced me to slow down a bit, and I crossed the half point at 1h46, not too bad all things considered.

After this, the next 5k or so are a gentle but constant uphill, and once I was done with it, my legs started complaining a lot. This was only around the 26k mark or so. Way too early for these kind of things to happen. And from here it all went worse and worse. I lost another 5 minutes or so by the 32k mark.

The last 10k were definitely a blur of pain and mental fight. It was a fight to keep going fast enough but right below the threshold that would make my muscles cramp.

I actually did cramp in the last km, but made it to the end, right under 3h45.

We're all gonna make it :)

I'm going for a run again today.

I mostly now do 6 km 2-3 times a week. I can up it to 10 km but I'm always too lazy.

how many long runs (around 20mile/30km) did you do before your first marathon?

I did 4 or 5 30k+ runs. Most I did was 35k. All these runs were in completely flat terrain though.

And how much time did you need before you where in normal shape again?

I'm not in normal shape yet (marathon was this past weekend)
I went for a very short run yesterday to see what's the status, and I think i'll need a few more days. But to be completely recovered, it looks like it will be a least a week and a half more.

Is it possible to combine running with lifting? I want to run 2/3x a week for about 5-10k and lift 2/3x a week with an upper/lower split. Can I do both 3x a week or should I compromise (e.g. run 3x, lift 2x or something)?
Any experiences/advice?

Yes it's possible. Runners lift lie this all the time.

As a part of my college track team. We ran everyday and went to the gym twice a week on hard days, circuits twice a week on easy days. Long run Saturday. Light or no running Sunday.

It was always compound lifts for sets of ~10

I run 30 miles a week (two 15 mile runs) in minimalist shoes and my legs are strong as fuck but it's making them super skinny and hurting my aesthetics

what to do?

How long do shin splints last? It's been 3 weeks since I took up actual running again and every time I do it, my shins kill me for the next day or two.

your shoes suck, so as long as you keep trying to run in them

Are running shoes important?
My talon's been hurting for like half a year ever since i started running again afer 1 year of sedentarism, maybe its my running form or my extra weight (gained 20 kilos already lost 10), so i was thinking about buying running shoes.

Any brand better than the rest?
Whats a good price range i should be looking for?
Should they fit tight or a little loose?

Slow down speed racer, invest in some good quality shoes that suit your running style, and ease off the mileage until they're gone. Can take a week, or a month. Depends on you

No try all brands, don't buy anything under $75 on principle, if you're running more than once a week

look for low drops (

Hoka Clayton

Where can I check my running form?

your local running store

I would rather do it online

So lifting 3x a week is perfectly doable? Would it be OK to run in the morning and lift in the evening?
Also, is an alternating upper/lower split decent in this combination?

Post a video and hope someone who knows sees it

Make a vid and post it and we will tell you

Run on upper days. But running in the morning after working legs the past evening might be a little too much. Try it tho, maybe it works for you

I've been running about 20 miles a week for a little while now and manage to combine it with 3 days of compound lifts. Though I need to start adding calisthenics for my recruitment test in a few months so I might have to compromise on the lifting, I'll see how I go.

A lot of it depends on time too. I would admire anyone who manages to combine lifting and running with 40 hour work weeks. I'm fortunate to be in a position where I only do 3/4 day weeks.

thanks m8s

> He doesn't utilise runner's dick to shrink his pecker.

It's mother nature's jockstrap breh

>How to sprint

>Sprint Drills for Speed, Run Faster, Plyometrics, Jump Higher

>How to Sprint Your Way to a 6-Pack

>Sprinting: The Purest, Most Powerful Physique-Shaper In An Athlete's Arsenal: Part I

>Asafa Powell Strength and Conditioning Training
youtube.com/watch?v=vB1V9iPewE0

bump

Is this just for sprint?

In the "complete Running and marathon book" are some of those but will they be useful for long distance?

Also I’m training for a 10k, currently in the 3rd week of this program.

coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/136.shtml

Fridays its suppose to be hills but there is none where i live. how much stairs should i do instead?

The guy who designed it designed it for his 50+ mom who had never done anything athletic. It's a great starting point for 90% of the population. It's only 9 weeks, but that's long enough to hook noobs, where shorter programs can be both too hard and not long enough to make people develop a lasting habit.

Does your gym not have a treadmill with incline? Running on stairs seems dangerous.

30 days. You'll be running like 12 minute miles + in an ultra. Just need fresh legs/joints, no specialized training. If you can finish a marathon and if you go out slow in an ultra, you can finish an ultra.