Why did lifting literally kill my gaming "addiction" over-night?

Why did lifting literally kill my gaming "addiction" over-night?

It's been 4 years since I started lifting and I haven't touched a video game since. The interest just died over night.

Is it possible that something else in life might end up killing the interest in lifting for me? I fucking hope it doesn't.....please tell me lifting is immune to this...

Lifting improves you constantly, video games hit a threshold after your reading comprehension and fast twitch reflexes hit a certain point.

Most of the benefits associated with video games dry up after your teens when people are all expected to have a baseline of ability. Sans escapism and "just fun"

Lifting will always push you higher. If you care about yourself nothing will entirely replace it with the exception of more specified training.

At least that is my experience with it, and as far as hobby tales, anecdotal is what ya got op

I think video games are still fun. Maybe you just played shitty games like WoW and LoL

>Lifting improves you constantly

No it doesn't. I want this meme to die, it's a fucking myth perpetuated by the fitness industry to keep the money rolling in.

Your gains come to an end after 4-5 years. Anything after that is insanely high diminishing returns, lifting year round for basically a few grams of muscle. At that point you're better off putting lifting in maintenance mode and just focusing on other aspects of life.

I'm in the same boat. I still think games are fun but I have no real desire to pick them up anymore. I think it's a combo of getting older and realizing it's a massive timesink, and the body chemical releases we now get from lifting replaced what we once got from gaming

>Any of these fucktards lifting long enough to know what maintenance mode is
>Believing they aren't actually brainwashed into thinking they can consistently get stronger and bigger and more cut and if they can't they need to get on drugs

Dude, seriously.

I still enjoy playing late night when a good game comes out..whenever that happens, with all the shit games being released.

Right, because continually keeping yourself in peak physical shape as your body deteriorates due to age isn't a gain?

Or for that matter finding new lifts to work on or ways to measure your progression?

You're never "perfect" at all aspects of lifting. It encourages humility and a constant reassessment of capability. It's one of the more honest pursuits in life because you have empirical proof that you're making progress or not, and the only thing to overcome is what you used to do.

Progress is measured in more ways than the kg you can put up.

Tl;dr: not a meme

I regret the countless rounds of Call of Duty matches I'd play. Literally like 300 hours of my life doing the same shit repeatedly

This is true, I bet 95% of this board hasn't even been lifting longer than 1-2 years, so they don't know it yet. They haven't hit the wall yet and don't realize how pointless trying so hard in the gym becomes after you hit the wall. You essentially put in 100x more effort for 100x less results, it's why people quit lifting, they get sick of going from seeing all kinds of gains, to suddenly having no significant changes, despite putting in more effort than they've ever done in their entire lifting career.

how many years to hit a decent body that'll last with maintenance lifts? I'm in my 30s now, cant compete with you buckos

pasta

You can only progress so far with natural lifting alone stupid.
You'd know that if you actually lifted.

Once you hit the peak of safe strength building, any further then that ANY FURTHER and you're in a place where heavy lifting places way too much stress on your body, will completely wreck your recuperative ability, and injuries can be fatal.

Physical culture and activity are good and you can progress and maintain on almost anything.

But the idea that you can continue to gain mass and strength forever is an outright lie.

Hell most people don't even know how to maintain what they have. There are no strategies in the sticky or posted anywhere on the board. It's all about talking complete noobs into shitty powerlifting programs and shilling out of date exercise knowledge.

Tfw 600h on csgo

After I started lifting (and bulking) I quit smoking and drinking for no reason other than I didn't feel like it anymore. For reference, I was a pack-a-day smoker and a 6-pack-a-night drinker.

My theory is that exercising just make you less dependant on other chemicals.

600 hours is nothing.

That's literally 25 days.

I have over 1,000 days played on ONE character on WoW.

Then again I've been lifting since 2004, so it hasn't held me back in the fitness department.

This. I gained 50 lbs as a lanklet skelly from lifting and eating (bitches are like water fountains around me now), but still love cs:go and quake live and still play it a few days a week desu

1000 days? Bullshit

I started to lift 3 months ago and stopped playing videogames altogether

funny think I sank 650 usd into Steam the month before

I lift and still play games pretty regularly. Been lifting 3 years, from experience people who feel the need to go out of their way to tell other that they don't play games are pretentious cunts looking for some other trivial way to feel superior. Play games if you want, they're fun. They've been accepted into the mainstream so much lately anyway that you're no longer an outcast, just another standard personality

Csgo skins?

If you can't lift and game at the same time, you are a casual

This is not debatable

When I started lifting I still enjoyed video games. I still buy each new release and spend all my free time outside the gym and work playing them.

>all this replies for such old pasta

I want bait takers off my Veeky Forums

FUCKING FUCK OFF!

>Tfw went to Evo and got completely obliterated

WoW came out 12 years ago. He also probably didn't have much of a life for the first few years of its duration so it's possible

this logic is the exact same as skellies, who are bulking up, get ass-blasted because they can never progress past 5-8 pullups despite the fact they are gaining weight.

yeah, numbers may not rise a whole tier in 6 months like someone going from 135 to 225 but you're constantly fighting against aging. you are keeping your body healthy and fighting against it deteriorating.

plus you are making social gains (which, again, are against aging).

Not good at reading comprehension uh?

was always a causal gamer and still play them casually even when I started lifting

dont hate on the video games senpai

it's not the games.. it's you

Skeles can't do pull ups? I'm fucking obese and do 10 pull ups a night.

>tfw 2600 hours tf2
>tfw 500 hours skyrim
>tfw 300 combined hours of other

can i make it god zyzz

Because of the addictive sense of progression. I still play MMOs though since they are also heavily focused on progression.

you traded one source of endorphins for another.
weight lifting is more mentally rewarding than ###NO SCOPE####ing

if you miss playing video games, maybe give yourself some time to sit down and play one you've missed in the past 4 years.
if you don't miss video games, then that's a clear sign to me your brain was going to them because it had nothing else motivating to work towards

did u even read the post

Because you were one of those faggots playing games to mask depression instead of actually liking them.

Yet people still respond

I only took up lifting seriously a few months ago but my interest in games had been declining for a while before that. I used to be able to play Battlefield all day long in high school but now I get bored of almost every game after an hour or two.

I want to get Space Hulk when it comes out but other than that none of the upcoming games excite me. And haven't done for some time.

Tasty pasta bruv

What do you guys replace games with?
inb4 socializing

you have an addictive personality and you'll lose interest in lifting as soon as you stop seeing progress and something else makes you "happy"

I replaced my addiction with dumb fucking pretentious stuff like reading, music, instruments and gardening after getting fit. This pretty much is a guarantee for pussy if the girl already has positive view about your body
>inb4 lift for girls
Thank god these hobby are not too boring. Girls absolutely hate gaming so never reveal your power level. Don't even make your computer look fancy that makes it suspicious

My niggas. Videogames is just a hobby, do whatever you want as long as you keep making gainz. Love the hell out of them, but Id choose lifting over games anyday.

any activity that doesn't have you create something or compete in something isn't a 'hobby', it's a money-sink, time-waster, and entertainment.

It's largely the same for me. Only Supergiant, CDPR and Firaxis's games remain fun for me. Looking forward to playing the chads Hojo and Gilgamesh in Civ 6.

>1200 hrs in Doto

>they can never progress past 5-8 pullups despite the fact they are gaining weight.
who the fuck works out and doesn't include pull ups as part of their regiment? It's one of the simplest and most effective athletic workouts of all time. Do people seriously skip simple shit like this to pump iron and pound creatine instead?

>Girls absolutely hate gaming so never reveal your power level.
too true. I know some older women (~28) who are just now conscientiously telling themselves not to automatically reject men who play games because it's no less pathetic than watching 5 hours of netflix a day

>300
>normie game
>probably only game you ever played for a long time
>thinks that was video game addiction
jesus christ

so what, you played it 10 hours a week for a year in high school jesus fucking christ that's nothing

Eh maybe a few hours on weekends, not saying getting blasted and banging sluts at a club/bar is better they are both an equal waste of time. You could be doing alot of other shit, like building a business, reading, creating anything actually. People putting in more than 20-30 hrs a week on video games are definitely wasting there life no matter how you look at it.

I'm a girl who games a little bit, but maybe 3 to 5 hours a week. Dark Souls 1 and 2, Dragons Dogma, various indie games. I don't tell guys that I have because I hey hit on by guys who have hundreds of games and they think we're soul mates ....

>3.3k hours in dota
>200 days in WoW when I quit 4 years ago
Time horribly spent. At least dota has a good metric for improvement that makes me feel like I'm improving at something, useless as it may be.

I have seen this thread before.

>tfw when 5,167 hours in gmod and prob 800 hours in all of my other games combined.

Big guy status coming through

>gmod
Top kek.

Ill take entertainment, Im fine with that shit.

Sorry about my autism, dad.

Get back to me when you accrue decent hours in something that's not autism simulator, son.

>People putting in more than 20-30 hrs a week on video games are definitely wasting there life no matter how you look at it.

Replace the words "video games" with some other hobby that well regarded but isn't immediately marketable and realize that your comment is highly ignorant.

I had the same thing happen.

Lifting is the real life grind for actual skill.
You only have so much free time.
Lifting takes time and the results for lifting are more rewarding than those of vidya.

You don't even have to consciously understand this. Your subconscious will MAKE EXCUSES TO LIFT INSTEAD OF GAME.

I had just bought a few new games when I started lifting, and it was bothering me that I wanted money because I didn't make time to play them.

That's just how it is.
As far as something replacing it: you will change your fitness goals later in life and adapt your training to it.

new space hulk looks really cool
also Battlefleet Gothic: Armada is good and enjoyable, at least from what i heard

why does it have to be one or the other? you guys are so fucking autistic

im usually so tired from work then gym after, that when i finally get home around 9 i just want to eat and go to sleep not sit in a chair and stare at a screen which ive been doing for 9-10 hours already

This didnt happen to me, but my gaming dif def wane, so i work out more, ...but i wana game more. But i think it has to do with the drugs im doing.
Gaming and lifting and eating healthy is a lifestyle: its who i am, so i dont worry about me suddenly stopping and never doing them again.
Im sure u still have a desire to play games.., search for the excitement, browse up some indie games(they usually have better games, but that works both ways)?

>hit on by guys who have hundreds of games and they think we're soul mates ....
smart on you to not say anything then

OMG MAI WAIFU PLS MARRY ME

>all day while working just thinking about getting home and playing vidya
>get home, just sit on Veeky Forums until it's time to sleep

Fuck me

>Replace the words "video games" with some other hobby that well regarded but isn't immediately marketable and realize that your comment is highly ignorant.
no, if you dump 20-30 hours into any hobby you're wasting your time

Instead just get productive hobbies. Lifting one. Performing music is another. Hobbies which are fun to meet new people at. Hobbies which give you skills to use in the professional market.

Video games, board games, listening to music, watching movies, watching tv, etc. These are all passive time wasters. Hell I'm not even saying I'm better than this. I just spent two hours playing games and I'll probably play more tonight. Why? my best friend is on a date right now so he's not free to hang, and he's my connection to literally every single "group friend" that I have. I'm not happy about this. I know I need change my habits so that I don't have to rely on others for social success and fulfillment. I wish I was finishing my homework so I could read and talk to a girl about what I read. That's productive. Winning a round of CS:GO is not productive. Fun? Yes, but if you just shovel fun into your face you very quickly stop being satisfied

nothing wrong with entertainment. it's just people conflate video games as a hobby because they're "active", i.e. not "just sitting".

Any logic I can use to make surfing the internet ("I'm reading, typing, and moving the mouse!") into a hobby is shit logic.

soul mates....i see what you did there

look man all i'm saying is don't treat it like a bad thing when do you something you enjoy

We get 20 years of peak ability on this Earth in all of eternity and you faggots waste them pressing buttons to watch pixels move. It's so unbelievably fucking pathetic.

This desu. I have 1800 hours on WoW across all my accounts, 2400 on league of legends, and 4100 on runescape.

Maybe 1500 across all Xbox games and 2000-3000 across all PS2/N64 games(hard to figure this one out).

Yeah thats understandable. I wouldn't say its a hobby for movement but im thinking like car models could be a hobby. Doesnt require much movement but gives entertainment.

Point is i love videogames.

>start lifting senior year before college
>first year of college
>still came back to dorm and played 5 hours of vidya everyday

It doesn't fix social gains. I changed my second year though after I was a complete chad after gaining 40lbs

And you're using yours to complain about what other people do in their free time, which in no way affects you. On an aboriginal bark painting enthusiasts' forum.

I work manual labor for ten hour shifts faggot

Videogames with my kids are the only escape from my shit life

Well that.. And shitposting

YOU

Am I the only one in Veeky Forums that took games seriously? I never viewed them as some sort of "escape" or fun like all of you talk about. It was always like a sport to me. I have probably spent more time than all of you on like 2 games and achieved some decent results. I think I had the potential to make it big(dota 2) but I gave up sadly, playing for fun nowadays, if life treats me well, I am positive my passion isn't gone and might restart my career.

Anyways, lifting did correlate, as when I began I gradually started losing interest.

What the fuck does it matter unless you make an impact on the earth, which probably less than 1% of the entire human race actually does.

Do whatever the fuck you want, then die and be forgotten

No way, dota is dominated by skinny fat Koreans right now, you'd never compete with them

most ignorant post of the year award goes to you sir

Stop making this thread you fucking shill

I never understood that. Six years lifting and I love video games more than ever.

I still play but much less than before

I think it's more related to growing up rather than lifting though

I lost interest in games but I realised that's because they have in general got much worse and I'm better lifting and sometimes playing ps2/3

Maybe you're a faggot with shitty time management skills??

I easily sank 1000 hours into dark souls 2, probably 2000 into dragons dogma dark arisen. Nothing even close to as good has come out since so I stopped playing. I'm addicted to progress. Progress in lifting, progress in pvp and gear and xp. Once I maxed it out i just quit

I never did gaming my whole life, but instead I watch a ton of TV ;_;

I don't think it is lifting that kills vidya addiction.

Lifting requires discipline. discipline and addiction to vidya don't mesh well. Discipline is always stronger than a mindless sense of 'accomplishment'.

You just clearly see how unfulfilling time with vidya actually is. Literally anything is better.

Except dark souls. Brotha, play that shit.

>tfw you will never have a girl that cute look at you with that much desire/ disappointment, till you relent and then fuck her to satisfaction.
FeelsBadMan.

Dude, just get their fucking numbers when you hang out next. It's great that you want to have your friend group with your best friend, but I would be super annoyed if all my friends required me to hang out with each other