Anyone have experiences with Alcoholics anonymous...

Anyone have experiences with Alcoholics anonymous? I went on a bender this week and am getting sick of having to check my phone and apologize to people for the things I say and do while I drink.I am so so tired of the decisions I make, please tell me someone else knows tf

Just drink preworkout instead of alcohol, and if you od you get a stroke. Youll stay away from any substance at that point.

9 months sober here. ya I know of it, it's great. go, take a seat, find a sponsor and take the steps. Just do it, it really is magical

>+mad gains

im skimming the handbook or whatever right now and it seems really god-heavy, was yours like that

Isn't it considered a cult?
Find an actual therapist or a science backed strategy. AA is mainly religion backed.
Also avoid the ones run by and filled with hispanics. I've heard plenty of cringe tales thathe they tie people up and beat the "evil" out of them for Jesus to cure your sin, etc.
Ps I've been alcohol free for 8 years

I got a DUI and had to attend a few mandatory meetings. I didn't stick around, as I rarely drink and just made a stupid decision. However some of the people I met in my stint there were extremely nice and caring. Be ready for people to approach you and want to hear your story. They don't judge.

i live in a pretty small mostly white township so Im not too worried about that but thank you

Did people start treating any of you differently after you stopped? thats gonna be the biggest thing for me because Im in grad school and we drink socially multiple times a week

Do it dude. I know this is Veeky Forums and all but I've got 3 years clean and its completely changed my life. Don't listen to people on here, AA can be as simple or as complicated as you want. Also good for social gains.

Don't sweat the god thing so much. It's more about a "higher power" admitting that there is something greater than yourself in the universe. 99% of people that participate have/had hang ups on the higher power thing. Just focus on the pragmatic steps. You'll find your own definition of a higher power as time rolls along.

People don't really treat you that differently, maybe some questions as to why you stopped, you'll get a lot of good for (you)s and some admiration about your will power to be in that situation sans liquor. It took me a bit of time to be my old self in drinking situations, but i'm 100% now, closed the bar the other night, was laughing, joking meeting new people, it's just that I went home sober and woke up feeling great, and spent no money.

Since being sober I've lost fat, gained muscle, dick works better (never had issues, it's just better now), haven't missed a wink of life due to hang over, saved money, made more money, my personal relationships are doing a lot better and I have an inner peace I wouldn't trade for the world. It hasn't always been easy to get to this point, but it's worth it.

It's really trippy to pull yourself out of drinking and see how prevalent it is in society.

Lastly, I've been entirely freed from my desire to drink.

Around here we have young peoples meetings and there are QTs, so that's cool too.

+1 for social gains

This has been experience as well. We only have one YPAA meeting in my city but confrences are lit.

I did it. Yes it is culty but it worked although I also went to rehab. I'm 6 years sober. Don't really do AA anymore but maybe I should.

In the short time i've been around 2 people that I have met have died, one dude had over a year sober a good job, a girl and all this shit he threw away through drugs and alcohol, went out drinking one night and not two weeks later he OD.

Another died drunk driving.

Another thing that happens is you realize the amount of people in the world that are straight up alcoholics and haven't the slightest clue about. They think it's entirely normal. SAD.

Op here, really scared that I might be the guy who dies because its getting more and more dangerous

Im one of the youngest people in my doctorate program and they make a lot of jokes with them about how much I drink, the classic "self-deprecation so they think I'm just joking about my problems" is how I react and last week one of my closer friends there expressed that he was scared I was going to hurt myself through drinking

Dude just go to the damn meetings

If you're recognizing this, you're far ahead of the pack, most people need something traumatic to happen before they realize what's going on.

Clean up, get off the sauce, and win at life.

I'm just scared that whatever's left of my normie mask will fall away if I give it up

I'm already the "kinda fucked up guy" to my classmates idk if I can risk not being normie in this regard

Binge drank and smoked weed from the age of 15. Started using mdma at 16, broke my arm and started using opiates at 17. Flunked out of school as a degenerate. Date-raped a drunk girl. Started shooting heroin. overdosed several times. went to rehab.

went to a half-way house after and started doing AA. the people in NA were sad and mostly criminals and people in drug-court that just wanted reduced prison sentences. AA really helped me change my life. I moved cities and have two years clean, finally back in school and rent my own apartment, have gf, hit 2/3/4/5, and raise two dogs. feelsgoodman.jpeg

the whole "god" thing in AA is irrelevant. the steps helped a lot. i dont really pray or anything, it just changed my lifestyle and i met like 50+ people in my new city and became good friends with them really fast.

shit works brah, just dont cry like a bitch about "religons blah blah blah" cuz 99% of the people in AA hate church and dont like people quoting the bible and what not. Find a meeting with people you like and go regularly. Get a sponsor, and listen to him/her. Dont fuck girls that have 2days sober it will fuck yours and their sobriety up. fuck girls with some sobriety time if ur gonna fuck AA chicks. theyre all mental.

Don't make a big deal out of it to them, just tell them you're making fitness gains or something.

1)stop drinking
2)perhaps physical withdrawal period
3)Feel like a million bucks
4)cravings come
5)feel uncomfortable with no escaping reality
6)start to feel like yourself again
7)start filling your time with things you love or are productive
8)STOP CARING WHAT NORMIES THINK AT ALL THEYRE FUCKING LOSERS ANYWAYS
9)Find QT that understands and supports you and live a great life not giving a fuck about what other people think.

Not necessarily
I always say I don't drink and no one makes a fuss. When asked, I say I just don't find alcohol to have any appeal to me, which it doesn't. I find smoking weed or doing shrooms to be more productive and revitalizing to me than any form of Alcohol

Yes. Helped me stay sober in the beginning. I don't go anymore but I have 5 years dry this month. Worth it senpai

Lol, I'm waiting for a meeting at 7 rn

lol faggot that post workout beer is something I'd never quit. Just have some modicum of self control and don't drink yourself blind you pussy

I never did meetings. Just worked with a therapist one on one. In his waiting room now.

It took me reaching a pretty low point to get completely sober. You have to really want it and knoe that sobriety is what you need.

Basically, there is more than one way to skin this cat. Just get at it. Best of luck m8.

>things non-addicts say

>getting addicted in the first place

Just do it. A lot of people online complained about the meetings being too religious etc, and it made me not go for years. I regret it.

The best advice I have for you, is that there are tons of meetings out there, and they're of varying quality. If you hate your first meeting, don't think it's AA, think it's the meeting. Keep going until you find a meeting you like.

I've been to tons of meetings, some i love, some i hate, some are ok. some are large, some are small. Some are full of old people, some are full of people my age. Some are full of preachey people, some aren't. Some are full of people with drug and alcohol issues, some are just full of people with alcohol issues.

Just go until you find a meeting you like, then find a sponsor, and keep going. You won't regret it.

you're 100% right. I avoided going for years because people complaina bout that "higher power" bullshit, and no one in good meetings gave me a problem about it. Just do your thing