Letting deadlift weight fall?

When deadlifting, are you supposed to let the weight down slowly? I've always maintained my grip on the bar, just I kind of let it fall in a controlled manner. I don't put it down gently. Are you supposed to?

This video made me think of this. I know it's not a deadlift, but the point still stands.

youtube.com/watch?v=P2PYraBSZs8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_DJxMFp3JSg
youtube.com/watch?v=g0KDnaHCOQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=_DJxMFp3JSg&t=2m35s
youtu.be/S7ZZSpSSm68
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you can get banned from the gym for throwing the weights

Technically, the lift isn't complete until it's put back on the floor, so dropping it is stupid and a good way to get kicked out of your gym.

Can someone explain to me what's going on with his mouth - is it some kind of breathing technique? I see oly lifters at my gym doing this.

Set it down gently like his first two reps

I've deadlifted like this for years. It's incorrect?

youtube.com/watch?v=_DJxMFp3JSg

Gotten some of my best gains from letting heavy fucking weight down in the most slow and controlled manner possible(with proper form)

If you drop weight you are a stupid baby gripped weak pussy crossfit faggot just trying to draw attention to yourself in the gym. Knock it off

When you breath in and brace your core, I assume it ensures that you're not holding that air in with your mouth.

Have fun getting a herniated disk while lifting less than 80%. Controlling the negative tears the faschia around your disks

You can lift however the hell you want. Letting it down slowly and gently will build more muscle and test your form/mobility. lol I know a bunch of people into powerlifting who are probably physically incapable of this, and get injured often.

Drop that shit

youtube.com/watch?v=g0KDnaHCOQ0

Forgot to timestamp the video.

youtube.com/watch?v=_DJxMFp3JSg&t=2m35s

literally not doing half a deadlift for years
kek

oh cool, i never thought about it like that.

>blasting it g in the gym

dammit why can't my gym play stupid shit like this.

I wouldn't say it's completely incorrect, but keep in mind, they're on rubberized mats designed for that, unless you go to some specialized gym that has those mats, I wouldn't be doing that. Even at my uni where we have Olympic platforms, my friend who worked there complained constantly about how the platforms would break because if people throwing/dropping the weight.

Show me one person who controls the negative of their deadlift.

If you just drop the weight, still holding the bar or not, you did only the first half of the repetition.

My gym has deadlift platforms.

Then knock yourself out, personally I would try and control it instead of just straight dropping it at lockout because that's usually what a bunch of these crossshit retards do and its annoying to everyone.

If this is the case, then there are more people deadlifting incorrectly than there are people who don't squat to the proper depth. I find that hard to believe.

I bet you'd call this an incomplete lift. You're all talking out of your asses.

youtu.be/S7ZZSpSSm68

What kind of shit "olympic platforms" does your gym have? They're literally made to have weights dropped on them from overhead.
Yup, that's perfectly competition legal.

>Gotten some of my best gains from letting heavy fucking weight down in the most slow and controlled manner possible(with proper form)
I'm pretty sure your muscle tears more (and thus build bigger) during the release portion of a rep. That's why some people will cheat with bicep curls to get it up, and then lower it slowly.
course if you cheat it up, and let gravity take it back down, you may as well just go home cuz you're not making any fuckin gains.

>Lift at home
>Can't drop weights cause it'll crack my cement
>2017 minus 3 months

This looks like a proper olympic gym, people probably wouldn't care too much for dropping the weight and for being as loud as they are.

Anywhere else you should do your best to control the descent. Dropping it wrong could fuck your back and it also is an easy way out. I'd sooner do heavier weight and have to put it down pretty fast, but you SHOULD be able to put it down whether sloppy or not.

Don't try to lower it slowly, you're just increasing the chance of injury and reducing the amount of weight you can lift. If you keep your hands on the bar, but don't try to control the fall (or maybe control it just a little bit), that's probably the best option, both for PL competitions and less possibility of back injury. If your gym doesn't allow you to do this, you need to find a better gym. As far as dropping it from the top completely, I'd actually say that's acceptable (if you have bumper plates/platform and aren't a powerlifter). Most of the people here will disagree, but they don't have any good arguments for this, it's either macho bullshit ("you're a pussy if you drop the weight") or trying to argue the definition of what a deadlift is (if you're not a powerlifter, you shouldn't care, if an exercise works, it works, regardless of how it's called). If these people think that dropping deadlifts makes one a pussy, tell that to the Olympic weightlifters who pull more weight than you can ever dream of in your entire life.

it's not about a controlled eccentric. it's about not dropping it from the top.

plenty of people who want a big deadlift. if you control it the on the way down you might be surprised you can deadlift more.

it's the same logic as any lift, really. you're just cheating yourself.

but the video is people going for 1RM, so it kinda doesn't apply.

>fucking playing that stupid it g ma shit

god, why do gyms always have the worst fucking taste in music

This thread was never about dropping weights. How did you guys misinterpret the op? Even I'm confused now.