Is this the biggest lie ever put forth in the world of cardio training?

Is this the biggest lie ever put forth in the world of cardio training?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QrDqWbBMA9o
youtube.com/watch?v=RiHhc7eLpQY
cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5528a1.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If by lie you mean accurate then yes

marathons are strictly endurance based. why would you wanna carry around all those heavy ass gains.

Not really.
A sprinter is never going to skip leg day, because gym training of leg muscles will do three things for an endurance athlete:
1. Cause Type-II muscle fibers to take on some of the characteristics of Type-I muscle fibers, in that they'll get bigger and become more resistant to fatiguing quickly
2. Cause Type-I muscle fibers to take on some of the characteristics of Type-II muscle fibers, in that they'll get better at producing larger amounts of force in a short period of time.
3. Train your CNS to recruit a higher percentage of total muscle fibers on demand, facilitating greater overall production of force.

That plus the speed-skills training that a sprinter does when doing sprint intervals means fast, high-force strides that make a sprinter successful.

It's also the most diffcult, demanding form of endurance training, requiring a high degree of personal discipline and mental toughness; it's not for everyone.

The only way this isn't true is if marathon runners eat nonstop while running. Consume an entire turkey over the course of the marathon and you'll almost be alright.

>sprinter
>endurance athlete
Uh?

not really. it's kind of like comparing an olympic lifter to a calisthenics lifter.
the olympic athlete needs to exert as much power as possible in a very intense, explosive way.
the calisthenics lifter only needs to be as strong as they need to move their body around according to the movement they practice.
So it benefits an oly lifter to have a lot of muscle to exert the high force rapidly. The calisthenics lifter is not as benefited by having more muscle if the muscle doesn't contribute to moving their body.
Like comparing Klokov to Medrano

>What is speed endurance

>what is correlation and causation

why would you think it's a lie if it makes perfect sense

explosive short distance exercise = thick/gains
sustained endurance exercise = slim/nogains

Even a sprinter still has to have a solid aerobic base, or they'll be a really poor sprinter. I wouldn't expect someone who is not an endurance athlete to know this.

how the fuck is anyone supposed to pull sub 3 hour marathons without having insane leg muscle power?

elite marathoners have as optimally sized muscles as simply possible, it's the peak of human evolution.

>bought the cardio meme for the first year I worked out
>saw little to no gains
>nearly quit
>held it together but cut cardio
>suddenly made great gains
fuck cardio man. It's a gains goblin

>peak of human evolution
enjoy perma skelly mode. I'll be feasting and beasting as a sprinter

Why the fuck would you need power to run for three hours? No you idiot you need endurance. Funnily enough training for endurance makes you look like a fucking twig

i'd say top sprinters can pull an easy sub 18-minute 5K.

how about you try running marathons first? the amount of dedication and training you need to reach 3 hours and below is insane. you are pushing your body to its limits in various ways that normal non-runners cannot even fathom.
a top tier marathoner is something that is truly admirable.

>training for endurance makes you look like a fucking twig
No it doesn't you moron. Guess what? They do that shit on purpose by eating less than they should. Less mass = less energy needed.

>a top tier _______ is something that is truly admirable.

Fill in that blank with anything that's not a felony or sexual deviation and it holds true.

Sprinting is much harder than marathon running.
Way more things to be good at and learn.

Long distance requires 3 things
Endurance
Pacing
Willpower

Sprinting requires way more

you're missing the point. Obviously its extremely difficult to hit a sub 3h marathon, no one is arguing that. But you're confusing endurance with strength. A kenyan distance runner would absolutely smoke my ass in any distance at all, but I can squat more than him because my legs weigh more than his entire body.

Nutrition is a form of training

lol wat

are you seriously arguing that sprinting for 100m is harder than running for 42195m?

Endurance is harder to achieve than raw strength. The number of people achieving large leg muscles and squatting large loads is far greater than the number of people running 42km in elite times.

Sprinting it properly is, anyone can plod along for a marathon.

Marathons are full of veterans and old runners. Very few people over 40 sprint (Yes Kim Collins but not many others)

Even 60 year old women can do sub 3 marathons

You guys are fucking retarded
youtube.com/watch?v=QrDqWbBMA9o

>Sprinting it properly is, anyone can plod along for a marathon.

that probably explains why such a large percentage of adult populations complete several marathons during their lifetime

>Marathons are full of veterans and old runners. Very few people over 40 sprint (Yes Kim Collins but not many others)

and once again, the elite who win races tend to be young, of similar age as the winners of sprinting races.
Maybe ask yourself why people lose interest in sprinting over time as they grow older, but marathoners keep running despite growing older?

>Even 60 year old women can do sub 3 marathons

please tell me how many women have achieved this, and how large this is as a percentage of world population?

The elite marathon runner runs at a higher intensity then any of you do sprints at though

saged for poor bait

People tend to lose interest in sprinting as they get much slower, but in long distance running they get comparatively less slower.
For instance in the UK only one sprinter in the top 100 is over 35, for Marathon it's about 30
Also marathon running is less stressful on the body. Injuries you get tend to be less severe.

Was that aimed at me? Because it's not even close to being true

>Also marathon running is less stressful on the body. Injuries you get tend to be less severe.

well, you obviously haven't tried one... marathon is about the most stressful sport you can do to your body. (excluding ultras which are even longer and more exhausting)
it takes weeks to recover and some effects last even longer.

>ITT: twigs argue that their useless marathons are "muh most difficult spohrt"
>mfw

I can run a 21 minute 5k and running any further than that is boring as fuck.

why would i do that to myself?

i literally could give a fuck less.

You're an idiot. I could just as easily say only a handful of people are elite powerlifters but any schmo with a pair of nikes can go for a run. You're just a low IQ genetic inferior incapable of giving equal weight to a contrasting opinion.

maybe you want to improve yourself, discover just how much willpower you have and what your body is truly capable of?

>21 minute 5000 meter
>bragging about this

No that's accurate as fuck, stronger people are faster tho they can't go for as long

How could it possibly be harder if it requires less muscle?

Shit video, it could've been compressed into just a couple of minutes and I'm not even sure if he refuted what he wanted to.

>this pic is not biased

???

now why would running 42195 metres be "hard"?

but that's why i enjoy lifting and other pursuits

i really don't like distance running

:-)

The argument should be

Cardio doesn't make you a skelly
But you have to be a skelly to be good at cardio

well, you won't know the joys of finishing a marathon until you try one ;-)

>running an average of 6.5 miles per minute for 3 hours isn't harder than sprinting

That is faster than an airplane

i mean per hour

Here's the difference:

Sometimes you'll overhear a coworker or someone in your apartment or a family member mention how they're going to sign up for such and such marathon, or how they competed in whatever marathon last year.

On the other hand, you don't often hear some random Joe talking about how he's signed up for several sprints a year, let alone one.

Sprinters need to be in peak athletic form in order to compete, because it's such a small window of judgment. You only have a couple hundred meters to prove you're faster than everyone else. In that minute (or less), you have to blast your muscles at full-force and full-speed as hard as you can to try and outrun everyone within that small window of mere seconds. That's basically operating at maximum performance and trying to push yourself even further all the while, a HUGE explosion of force and energy, vs. marathon running, which is a much slower burn that you can break up with slightly slower or slightly faster running to maintain stamina.

Marathons and charity distance runs/walks happen very very often and anyone is able to compete in them. Not so much for sprints.

>running 25 miles per hour isn't harder than jogging

That does sound pretty hard desu

i forgot to convert my units guys. fuck math is hard.

No, strength is a lot harder to gain than endurance. The human body is designed to only gain muscle under luxurious conditions, and to lose excess muscle at the drop of a hat. Humans, by having sweat glands and bipedal movement, are absolutely designed to be endurance runners. Fastest human every to live is too slow to make a difference against most big predators in the wild, can't even outrun a clumsy shambling fucking bear. However tribespeople can routinely run 100+ miles in a day.

Your argument that there are more people that train for strength than for endurance is completely pulled out of your ass and has no evidence.

Strongest men in the world are about as strong as your average chimpanzee. The most enduring men in the world can beat any land animal in distance traversed in an hour, in a day.

Isn't that 390mph?

Where I'm from there are loads of open events around the country for sprints.

But sprinting requires being coaching and more dedication in general if you want to half decent at amateur level. That's why there is a couch to 5k guide but there no couch to 100m

weight lifting IS also aerobics training

when lifting weight intensely, the muscle cells take glycogen and then produce copious amounts of pyruvate that then gets taken by the mitochondria to produce ATP which is the main fuel of the muscles
thing is that the mitochondria (the aerobics machinery) cannot use all that pyruvate quickly enough which then accumulates, the mitochondria doesn't produce enough ATP and you reach failure
all anaerobic work is first and foremost AEROBIC
another thing is that the mitochondria continues to recycle all that pyruvate and its byproduct lactic acid for hours after the anaerobic work has ceased
which means that your muscles cells are in state like if you were walking on a treadmill
which just proves the superiority of weight lifting

if you do high intensity exercise, you don't need aerobics at all
it's called the cori cycle, google it

>weight lifting IS also aerobics training

That's stupid and you should be ashamed of yourself.

of course that one takes a lot of more work in the form of energy than the other
that's not the point, unless you are an idiot
our objective is to do the LEAST amount of exercise to stimulate the MAXIMUM amount of muscle growth and conditioning possible, this is called EFFICIENCY
we want to INCREASE EFFICIENCY and not do copious amounts of useless work that are extremely catabolic and are unable to elicit any kind of positive adaptation stimulus

considering how popular gyms are, compared to how empty running tracks and various popular running routes are... I'd say most people of my age where I live in prefer to hoist things up indoors than run distance outside.

And a lot of people are getting muscular these days, yet the amount of people who can actually run 21km or 42km is quite low. Lifting seems to be the current trend. And it is certainly easier to hit the gym a few hours a week than train similar amounts of time doing exhausting long runs.

dude u dropped a lotta big words, but in terms of efficiency, it's more efficient to not have big muscles to lug around for 3 hours.

efficient in terms of productive exercise

Easy. High school girls run that.

Sprinting is more genetically selective
you need to be a very specific build and have very specific genetics to be a good sprinter, any old cunt can be a good marathon runner if they put the work in. That doesn't mean sprinting requires more effort.

If you actually knew what that meant you'd know it doesn't apply to this.

The amount of technique you have to learn is a lot though, learning how to use blocks can take years to perfect.
That takes a lot of effort.

Normies don't compete in marathons, they merely attend

Everything you said in this post is conjectural and anecdotal. You gotta use some harder facts to convince me

"If you look in a biochemistry textbook, you’ll notice that when glucose is metabolized to pyruvate – the glycolysis cycle – the glycolysis cycle can actually turn much faster than the Krebs Cycle in the mitochondria. So what ends up happening is you end up producing pyruvate at a rate faster than the mitochondria can use it in the presence of oxygen. That pyruvate gets converted to lactate or lactic acid and that’s what produces the “lactic acid burn” that occurs with anaerobic exercise. But only by pushing anaerobic exercise as fast as you can will you be producing pyruvate at a rate that causes the aerobic cycle to cycle as quickly as possible. If you do sub-maximal training you’re not pushing your aerobic cycle as much as it can be pushed. And when you recover from a high intensity set of exercise and that lactate is stacked up, it gets converted back to pyruvate, put into the mitochondria and then metabolized aerobically. So during “recovery” from high intensity exercise, you’re actually getting an up-regulation of the aerobic system equal or greater to than you get from “aerobic” exercise. Now, that’s just talking about the metabolic aspect. True cardiovascular condition comes from peripheral adaptations – and that’s where high intensity strength training really stands out."

It can be, without making it crossfit
I did a yoke/farmers/sled medley not long ago and was blowing out my arse by the end of it
>500lb yoke 50 feet
>bodyweight farmers per hand 50 feet (230, 460 in total)
>250 prowler push with low handles 50 feet
A few rounds of that will put a marathon runner on his backside.

Pretty much /thread.

Marathons are ~20 people racing and thousands running much slower.

the amount of gyms has been increasing over the past decade
obviously the industry is expanding and more services are being provided due to increased demand.

honestly I don't know where to find stats about running vs gym popularity, but at least in my age group more people seem interested about lifting.

Why would you think more run(/do endurance) than lift?

>long distance runners are skinny because they run long distances
>sprinters are muscular because they sprint
>basketball players are tall because they play basketball
>bodybuilders are muscular because they flex on stage in front of judges
Cool logic bro

youtube.com/watch?v=RiHhc7eLpQY
durr

It's because lifting is the meme of the day. From the end of the golden era of bodybuilding til around 2010, the dominant fitness meme was low intensity cardio. Nowadays, 'functional training' and conditioning based on HIIT principles has taken over, partially because it's easier to show off lifts/physique on instagram than it is to show off your ten mile run or 40 mile bike ride. Give it ten-fifteen years and everyone will be jogging again

Except those are not equal.

Sprinting, as it is HIIT, is clearly a form of exercise that stimulates muscle development. Sprinters train primarily by sprinting.

Long distance running is a very strong example of low-intensity cardio. This will usually create a Calorie deficit. Marathon runners train primarily by running long distance.

Unlike those examples, height is not a trainable variable and bodybuilders do not train for the execution of their sport by doing something similar to it. Comparing it to these is like accusing me of saying that, because good marathon runners tend to be shorter than average, long distance running makes you shorter.

Of course, you already know this, right? You can't be this obtuse accidentally.

>Sprinting, as it is HIIT, is clearly a form of exercise that stimulates muscle development. Sprinters train primarily by sprinting.
To be fair, sprinting doesn't create Look at someone like Lemaitre or Gemili in comparison.

While I also have a feeling that the number of gyms has been increasing, that's just my feeling. I am asking you to prove your claim because you made that claim. I haven't necessarily decided one way or another on it, but that's no reason to assume what you said is true just because you say you anecdotally feel it is.

I did find a study that is a little old, but it agrees that the number of people weightlifting has slightly increased from 1998-2004, which is a long time ago, but it's more evidence that what you said is true than that it isn't.

cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5528a1.htm

But even if more people are hitting the gym, how does that mean that gaining strength is easier than gaining endurance?

Yeah bro but look at Harry Aikines-Aryeetey

The other thing is that there are basically just more curlbros who maybe squat once a month and share leg day memes on facebook
i.e not people who actually lift

you cheeky little tyke

cardio is important

There are loads of normies on my Strava doing little 5k jogs and 20k rides, few friends are lifting often.

>getting perfect scores on the MCAT is easy because you only have to pick up a pencil

a true nig

There's a reason they can run the Olympic 100m semi and final within hours
I would say the 400m is the most difficult distance. Plenty more people could train for a marathon than a 400

>clumsy shambling bear