I sometimes wonder why I pushed myself so relentlessly in weight lifting. My motive, I think...

>I sometimes wonder why I pushed myself so relentlessly in weight lifting. My motive, I think, was not an uncommon one; I was not the ninety-eight-pound weakling of bodybuilding advertisements, but I was timid, diffident, insecure, submissive. I became strong—very strong—with all my weight lifting but found that this did nothing for my character, which remained exactly the same. And, like many excesses, weight lifting exacted a price. I had pushed my quadriceps, in squat- ting, far beyond their natural limits, and this predisposed them to injury, and it was surely not unrelated to my mad squatting that I ruptured one quadriceps tendon in 1974 and the other in 1984. While I was in hospital in 1984, feeling sorry for myself, with a long cast on my leg, I had a visit from Dave Sheppard, mighty Dave, from Muscle Beach days. He hobbled into my room slowly and painfully; he had very severe arthritis in both hips and was awaiting total hip replacements. We looked at each other, our bodies half-destroyed by lifting.
>“What fools we were,” Dave said. I nodded and agreed.

Is lifting really worth it?
Stronger and wiser men don't think so. Why do you still lift?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw
youtube.com/watch?v=vS_byPGx6q4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

good motivation to skip leg day

Because I can. Kill yourself you gains goblin OP. Twice.

You can actually lift without destroying yourself.

It's called having a brain

>falling for squat meme

Top zozz

If you enjoy lifting for it's own sake the bodily improvement then go for it.
If you have to sacrifice your health for some peace of mind then so be it; but you need to accept the consequences.

If you lift because you think it will change you as a person - LOL YOU'RE AN IDIOT.

it helped my personality a lot

maybe the guy from op story forgot about something - changes dont just happen. you change yourself

>Roid and overtrain
>Wahh dont squat it will cripple you

These are the same guys who drink every weekend and then show up to the gym or work, pat their belly, and tell you you're going to look like them one day.

Excess in any thing is destruction in some form.

You can lift heavy ass weights, and become stronger for it in your later years. You simply have to remain in control - not go overboard

Oliver Sacks didn't roid himself

What is overboard?

I think it's a safe bet that ego lifting your max squat weight and, in fact, training SPECIFICALLY to increase one rep max numbers in general is always overboard.

>live a 'safe' life
>do as I say, not as I do

Ok.

The guy did 5x5 sets of 250+kg. That's candito-tier shit right there, and he did it every 5 days.

That's a little excessive.

well first, dont do squats if you are looking to just build leg muscles, there are better alternative leg workouts with machines

second, dont put so much weight and instead take it slow and steady

third, focus mostly on upper body because thats where it counts

>Stronger
by lfting
>wiser
by lifting

>Why do you still lift?
>

not if you are homosexual

>I had pushed my quadriceps, in squat- ting, far beyond their natural limits
Solution: Don't go past the natty limit aka don't roid to squat 300kg everyday.

is that the gradma from rippetoe's gym?

just stop squating after getting big legs
not reason to squat more than 2plates

Nah, Rippetoe grandma is 92

>he fell for the powerlifting meme

I'll stop at 405 thank you very much

Not a single solitary pro or former pro lifter is without injury.
Rippletoes joints are completely screwed.

I disagree. A 200kg squat and 300kgs deadlift is where I'd consider someone strong.

He's been in a few motorcycle accidents and he's been bucked from his horses a few times. He's had knee replacements on each leg and he blames it from a foolish programming method he followed when he was younger

Aka like the top 0.0001% of people seriously not an exaggeration. If you took 10,000 people I'm not even sure one of them could hit those numbers.

Literally every powerlifter on YouTube can lift that.

Yeah, so...he fucked his body up lifting heavily and often.

You see, this is something every lifter who's not living in some fucking fantasy world or has something to sell will tell you.

The stronger you get
The heavier the weight you will have to use
The higher your chance to get injured

This is a fact, this is reality. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying or has their head up their ass.

Litterally every powerlifter on youtube is on heavy amounts of gear and are using lifting belts and straps and knee wraps.
That and they won't put stuff they aren't proud of and want to show off on youtube.

that's why form is so important

>thinking there are over 30,000 people in America that can hit these numbers

With bad form*

People can lift ridiculously high weights without ever getting injured because they're performing the lifts in the correct range of motion that the human body can perform it in. Not my fault some fifty year old moron has too much knee flexion in his squats or a rounded lower back when deadlifitng.

>too much knee flexion in his squats
Found the quarter squatter.

Found the wheelchair man

I'm sorry that you're fucking stupid.
But this is a fact of reality.
There is no bullshit BUT THIS thing you can pull out of your ass on this one.

You WILL inevitably get injured if you lift relatively heavily multiple times a week.

This is not up for debate, this is not a guess, this is a fact. You simply have to figure out how to MINIMIZE the damage and heal from it.

I hate you fucking phaggots who have been lifting 3 months and think good form will 100% protect you from injuries.

Come back when you are deadlifting 300kg+

youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw

Me on the classical music
(You) on the edgy powerlifting screamo metal

Feel free to throw some sources our way with data that backs up your claim that heavy weight training correlates with injury

>powerlifters fat and ugly, breaking their joints
>average chads who mix hyper and strength push decent weights and look good, no injuries unless really fucking up form
hmmmm really made me think

This. Have you guys seen the statistics of injuries related to weightlifting? It's very minimal in the short term.

However you can't directly connect weight training to problems you have later on in life...there's too many factors at play

Hey Veeky Forums help me come up with an excuse on how to skip out on leg day

Don't bench. You'll fuck your shoulders

Based Oliver Sacks, perfect combo of brains and gains

You post a single solitary lifter who's completely uninjured.
Just one.

Just fucking one.

Show me the statistics and how they gathered them. I've heard this over and over and over again and I'm honestly curious now.

You see, lifting weights as a noob lifter, if you don't have any physical or health problems that will make lifting dangerous and have someone standing over you telling you what to do and are lifting baby weight? Yeah, negligible or almost no injuries.
Once you get out of the weekend warrior who occasionally bench presses curls and does quarter squats once or twice a week and into "intermediat" lifters and over who lift multiple times a week?
That's where shit gets real.
That's where injury potential shoots through the roof.

Those figures also include people who dl 1 plate

So basically if I deadlift with good form I will never get injured?

I will never get hernia squatting/deadlifting or tear a hamstring?

it's impossible to have perfect form at heavy weights, one time you're gonna slip up and it'll hurt you

You have it completely ass backwards. When you're lifting noob weight you're not capable of knowing if you're doing it with proper form or not because your body is good enough to take the beating.

When you're lifting extremely high weight you're much more experienced and your body has learned to maintain proper form even through the sticking point of a lift which means the better you are at a lift, the less likely you are to get injured. When you're squatting 1pl8 at a bodyweight of 80kgs you can allow form breakdown and deviation from the strict path because you're literally heavier than the weight. When you're squatting 4pl8s at the same weight you better make damn sure you're keeping the bar path straight and your entire body tense and you don't really get to four plates without knowing how to do tha.t

>it's impossible to have perfect form at heavy weights

youtube.com/watch?v=vS_byPGx6q4

Please note the distinct lack of snapped shit.

t. teenagers giving advice

Are you fucking retarded?

Nope but here's one thing you WILL get:

>haemorrhoids

Motherfucking haemorrhoids

>liftin really heavy weights over and over is bad for your joints/muscles/connective tissue

I can believe that.

>gettign strong enough to move that weight didn't affect your character

That's on you, Ollie. I'm much more disciplined than I was two years ago, but I"m still not strong.

I could pretty much squat 2 plates on my first couple of tries though...

>our bodies half-destroyed by lifting.
>destoryed by roids and poor life choices

>liftin really heavy weights over and over is bad for your joints/muscles/connective tissue

>I can believe that.
Don't because it's not

>Blast so hard your tendons and ligaments can't keep up

Rookie mistake of juicing. Fucking moron had it coming.