>manage to do one set, but fail on second set
>bring weight down to 185
>fuck up form BADLY
>lower back hurt so much that I had to immediately go home
>mfw
FUCK
HOW AM I GOING TO GET GAINS IF I CAN'T LEARN THIS FUCKING EXERCISE

I'VE BASICALLY WASTED AN ENTIRE MONTH OF MY LIFE DOING NOTHING BUT SHIT FORM

ALL MY LIFTS ARE STILL TRASH, DESPITE MY EFFORTS TO EAT MORE AND GO TO THE GYM EVERY MWF

FUCK FUCK FUCK

Height and weight?
Also don't stress it so hard bro jesus. First month is mainly getting from down really.
The number doesnt matter, it takes time, get form down solid first. The gains will come in time.
As long as you stick to your routine you'll keep making gains.
If you're skellie don't expect almost lmao 2 plate squat in first month.

I feel this. I'm even only 1 month in like you are.

I can never do bent over rows correctly. Today I felt so light headed from them I ran to the locker room and puked.

5'5" (yeah, manlet, I get it)

It's just that the same shit happened to me in highschool, and I got so demotivated I stopped going to the gym. It's kind of hitting me in the psyche

Also update : my back stopped hurting horribly so I decided to go back since I just had to do bench. At least I got fixed my form for that (took me a couple weeks though....)

It's a marathon, not a race m8, take it easy.

I'm still weak as fuck but getting there.
My bench stalled at 115, i don't know what it was but i got it under control.
I really paid attention to form, and made sure I ate a full meal a couple hours before going to the gym.
Days where I didn't eat before going I couldn't lift for shit.
Squats are one you really want your form down, snapcity is not good.
What do you feel is your struggle with them? Flexibility? Keeping back straight?
For me it was flexibility, i just use a wider stance and feet flared out a bit, it works fine.

>ego

start small

highly doubt a newbie at 5'5 could squat 185

I'm not sure honestly. At lower weights my form is good, and I've asked for many form checks from various people confirming this. But I guess at higher weights, I have trouble sticking my butt out, and when I fail at that it results in a fucked up squat.

No need to rush things breh. You'll only end up with another injury. Take your time and your noobgains will come eventually.

When ego lifting goes wrong.

You're an uneducated idiot that's expecting different results by doing the same thing.

Rather than keep trying until the squat is right, why don't you fucking read about how to squat correctly and understand the physics and biomechanics of squatting?

How stupid are you?

Get a copy of SS and supplement with maybe Greg Everett or Tommy Kono or someone if you're doing high bar.

Film every set you do and critique it according to the principles in these texts.

That's what I did. I'm squatting 202 kg x 5 on Wednesday. That's more than you squat in lbs, but in kg. Clearly an effective approach compared to your retarded bullshitting around.

I literally have the book, and I've read the squatting chapter a million times. I'm trying man, it's just that I'm an unathletic nerd so this shit doesn't come naturally to me. I'll check those videos out though, and you're honestly probably right, it's no one's fault but mine.

Are you filming your sets?

No, I'm not sure how'd I do that.

However, I know one of my friends is a real gym rat who I sometimes work out with , so I'll ask him.

Ask him to film, don't ask him for form advice. No one knows anything.

You have to film your sets. If you actually read the book closely, you'd know that it's stated repeatedly how bad humans are at knowing where our bodies are in space.

You cannot "feel" what is right and what is wrong. You need to film your sets and then critique them according to the text.

And it's easy to film. Just prop your phone up against something. I've used things like boxes for jumping, or a railing, etc. Just anything to prop your phone against. Or ask someone.

I filmed every single set I did when I started out. And now I film occasionally still just to make sure things are in order.

It's been really effective: I'm a stronger squatter than 99.9% of people on here and in real life.

Alright, will do man, I probably should've done it from the get go.

Hahahaha I haven't squatted in 6monthd and today I did 245 for 10 reps ATG
Gitgud

>squats

theres your problem

245 x 10 is a weak squat you fucking plebe

are you fucking retarded OP? Why would you attempt to lift an amount of weight you can't handle? ESPECIALLY as a beginner? If you're tweaking your lower back at 185 lbs, then FUCKING LOWER THE WEIGHT to an amount you can safely handle and SLOWLY work your way up.

Fucking impatient people.

>started hitting the gym a month ago
>trying to get squat to 190
>5'5" (yeah, manlet, I get it)

How fat are you? If you're anyway near a healthy BMI, 190lbs for a set of 5 is crazy good after a month. Try 1pl8 and work your way back up.

> this thread

I'm not sure if OP is real or bait (you got me). Squatting 185lb could take a solid 6-12 of focused lifting.

Starting out with that height OP you shouldn't be surprised if it takes you a little over a year and a half to reach a 190lb squat.

I'm the same guy as
And this is complete bullshit and wrong. 1.5 years for a 190 lbs squat as a healthy male? Are you insane?

Any male with reasonable genetics at that height could quite conceivably attain around a 120-130 kg x 5 squat.

Veeky Forums is full of a bunch of idiots who don't know how to squat and have absurdly stupid training programs and have no idea what they're talking about.

I did soccer in highschool so I'm not exactly a "fresh" newbie. And I'm sorry for the ego lifting, I guess I'm getting disillusioned with my gym rat friend, who told me about his fast progress. I'm also obsessed with following SS and "doing the program", and I feel if I'm not progressing I'm doing it wrong. Next time I will lower the weight and film myself to correct my form (also I'm 140 lbs for anyone asking).

It's likely you started too heavy. But at the same time almost everyone replying to this thread is retarded and doesnt understand the SS progression model and how rapid the progression can be.

Say you start at 90 lbs. You progress 5 lbs/session 3 times a week. As long as you don't fail and continue to maintain good form, you continue progressing like this. That's 60 lbs a month. In two months you've progressed to 210 lbs.

And people will go "well you wouldn't be linear for that long". But that's total bullshit and staying in that linear regime could easily continue to the 3rd or even 4th months, especially if squatting frequency is reduced to 2x a week as it's done in the intermediate novice programming.

I'm a bit of a genetic frequent, but I went from 135 to 450 x 5, 100% linear in a span of 7 months. It's absolutely possible.

perfecting squat takes time
leave your ego at home, lower weight and concentrate on form