Who /calisthenics/ here?

Bodyweight exercises are underrated as fuck especially for absolute beginners who can get a lot of basic strength in a short amount of time from it. This is anecdotal but it really worked out well for me

>start of June 2016, summer vacation between freshman and sophomore year of college
>be super Auschwitz mode skeleton (5'10" 110lbs), been called "the skinniest person I've ever seen" by a friend at college while at the pool
>decide enough is enough
>start calisthenics routine with friend
>go every other day without fail, maybe two-day break if major DOMS
>chin ups (could initially only manage with a lot of kipping), push ups (half or bad form), rows, bench dips, squats, step ups, planks
>oh my fucking god the DOMS hurts so bad I can't move
>still keep going
>eventually get strength to start doing pull-ups without kipping, military pushups and parallel bar dips
>tfw those chest gainz
>tfw noticing the v-shape upper body slowly appear
>tfw I have the absolute fastest noob gainz out of anyone I know who started exercising

When I came back to college in August (only a short 2.5 months later, now weighing 130lbs) even 6'+ big guys were commenting on how I looked like I lifted and literally everyone said I look "swole as fuck" now, (although that's complete hyperbole, I'm not swole at all and still on the skinny side).
The truth is people saying this stems from just how stark the difference was for just one summer considering everyone had an image of me as a skelly. I almost feel like I've found a cheat code, because from what I've read other people whether they're Auschwitz mode or fat usually take at least 6 months of work before anyone starts to notice a difference.

I've seen posters on Veeky Forums who say they've been lifting for 3-4 months and post pictures, but they only have a small bump on their biceps without any other aspect of their body looking fit.

Anyone else here started with bodyweight instead of hitting the iron right away? How did it work out for you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FnWrvWZDJTo
youtube.com/watch?v=hCpz8QW1O3w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nice blog, where do i subscribe?

will this exercise help me get my first pull up?

I am 6'1 95 kg and can do 60 kg 3x10 without a problem

when I try to make even one pull up I fail.

how difficult can it be to lift 95 kg once when you can do 3x10 of 60?

Try a narrower grip on the bar. Wide grip pull ups are pretty damn hard. You may have more success if you start around shoulder width and then try to widen your grip over the next few times you exercise

I like slow negative pullups, got to pullups within a couple weeks from auschwitz

Doing bodyweight with dumbbell accessories here, don't really get DOM's though. I get them if I go awhile without working out but after the 1st 2 or so workouts I just stop getting them... What did your routine look like? Currently I try to split up different body parts, such as.
>day 1: chest, triceps, shoulders,
Different types of pushups, dips and various types of tricep extensions, dumbbell presses
>day 2: biceps and back
Usually just a bunch of curls and pull ups
>day 3: legs
Basically just lunge's and squats with added weight by holding a 30lb dumbbell

Then I'll add in some accessories like neck and abs, usually on day 2 and 3. I always make sure to go to failure or close to it and do a minimum of 3 sets of each excersise. I do this 7 days a week and will sometimes take a day off when I'm not feeling up to it. Do you think this is enough to make gains? Should I try to cram all of this shit into 1 day and just do full body or what?

I did
3 sets to failure pull ups (could manage 5-8), then chin ups after a 10 second break
3x8 dips (bench dips before I attained the strength to do parallel bar dips)
3x8 squats (ass-to-grass)
3x8 step ups
2x 50sec 1-leg l-sits
3x8 inverted rows
3x8 pushups

all in one day, every other day, so it was a full body workout. Since they're compound exercises and I was a beginner I figured full-body was the only way to go.
Full body exercises are a must for starting off; way later on when you're doing significantly more taxing exercises like hueg deadlifts that's when it's good to have separate days for each muscle group to have peak performance.

also always try to progress when it comes to bodyweight. Keep correcting your pushup form until your elbows are totally in; after that try a diamond pushup. Keep trying to go lower and have a better angle with your dips. Try a wider grip on pull ups to make them harder once you master regular ones.

>3x8 squats
Jesus, 3x8 with bodyweight? Did you go all the way up? Did you go till failure?

Whoops, typed 3x8 on accident since that's for everything else.

I did 3x20 and tried to go fast up/slow descent. I do admit while I got some gains on legs they weren't truly noticeable till I started doing squats with weights (2x 20 lbs dumbbells, one in each arm), and started doing single-leg calf raises (off an edge and not on a flat floor) about three weeks ago and now my legs look much better.

Do chin ups. It's easier and is a better compound exercise. Do negatives. In a few weeks you'll be doing chin ups in no time.

try to get one legged squats either pistols or shrimps

the problem with bodyweight is that after you get good with hard exercises its very difficult to advance into harder version
for example after doing pullups its very hard to do one handed pullups or after getting dips/one arm pushup/handstand pushup theres not much you can do(maybe planche p-ups but its less about arms more about core)

and here i am doing 100 pullups 50 dips and some one legged work every second day seeing only nervous system gains at this point

HOLY FUK NICE BLOG OP

WHATS THE TLDR? WHAT ARE YOU SHILLING??

>can't into handstand pushups because 100kg
>OHP 90kg
>suddenly can into handstand pushups
>start doing handstand pushups all day erry day
>shoulder starts hurting

wtf I hate calisthenics now

You're better off doing hill sprints than lunges with a 30lb dumbbell tbqth.

Nice blog

> thinking thats an orginal comment

Ignore them OP I'm interested in your story.
Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

Pistol squats are incredibly hard, it's pretty much impossible to graduate from regular squats to pistol without using some weights in between

also doing pullups/calisthenics in general long after they're done making gains for you still is worth it because it keeps you flexible right?

Here.

>tfw you can do your workouts in 15 minutes
>tfw you don't need much equipment to do calisthenics

Maybe hanging rings is so-called great investment.

So far calisthenics has been working out for me a lot better than hitting the iron.

>tfw you progress from one move to a harder one

The feeling of accomplishment when you manage your first set of one-hand pull-up.

>Buys door pull up bar
>it pulls door frame from wall
Good bye security deposit

That is weird. Did you buy an iron gym or what? I can't even imagine how this happened.

Any tips on progressing? Do I simply just lift when I hit a bodyweight ceiling until I have enough strength to try the next milestone e.g. pullups -> muscle ups?

Thanks user, we're all going to make it

Nice sub blog

So far I've been using following progression chart.
Worked for me quite well.

They are not underrated, they just take massive amounts of time and effort compared to weights. You can dig a hole with a spoon, most people using shovels does not make spoons "underrated", it makes it an objectively worst choice based on time to results ratio.

Bodyweight exercises has tons of positives that regular lifting doesn't, especially for beginners

+body develops in perfect proportion
+increases flexibility
+guaranteed to look lean
+low risk of injury compared to lifting
+++functional strength. What's the point of lifting huge barbells if you can't lift yourself?

just because you can't do a pullup user doesn't mean it has no benefits

Been doing this hsit for 2 years but I really need to develop legs for rugby, should constantly cycling help?

Aren't you supposed to be at school?

>+body develops in perfect proportion
Subjective. Compared to the first humans only squatting will give you their aesthetics. People today have severely unbalanced bodies and underdeveloped legs. That's why strong legs look so "weird" and like t-rex legs to people when in fact they're actually balanced to match the rest.
>+increases flexibility
So does weightlifting. A2g squats did wonders for my kickboxing for example.
>+guaranteed to look lean
Uwotm8. Bodyweight training follows the same thermodynamic laws as lifting.
>+low risk of injury
[citation needed] If you exhaust yourself in the same way you do when lifting, the risk becomes the same. And vice versa, if you never actually lift heavy, the risk becomes almost non-existing. Gymnasts have a very high risk of injury.
>+++functional strength
No such thing. If a muscle is strong, it's strong.

I am. I'm not lifting at all, I would rather work on static bodyweight straight arm positions.
Currently trying to get the planche, I can do a tucked planche for about 30 seconds right now.

Veeky Forums hates on calisthenis because its full of delusional fatfucks who think drinking a gallon of milk a day and squatting three times will give them a greek god body. I do calisthenics every other day in addition to running and biking, eating with a fair caloric surplus and so far im noticing awesome changes iny body : bigger and defined legs, bigger back and solid abs.

Veeky Forums hates calisthenics because they're useless. Doing freeweights is a lot more efficient for both building mass and strength, so unless you're a ghetto nigga that can't afford a gym membership there is literally no reason to do calisthenics

>Anyone else here started with bodyweight instead of hitting the iron right away? How did it work out for you?
I did calisthenics for about three years before switching to weights in january of this year. I'm 6'3, and I gained roughly 40 pounds from calisthenics. I don't understand why so many people shit on calisthenics. If you're not an absolute idiot, you can make decent gains with it.

Chinups isn't a 'better' exercise, it's a different one. Optimally, one should do both.

>it's pretty much impossible to graduate from regular squats to pistol without using some weights in between
Nonsense, you just have to know how to progress.

>thinking that something is useless because something else is more efficient
Not everybody has the same goals, you nitwit.

Sprint cyclist here. Cycling isn't going to build strong legs. It will build resilient legs, especially with low cadence work.

If you want to build stronger legs for rugby, ya gonna have ta squat.

lololololol

why not just lift AND do calisthenics
there's no shame in doing pull ups and bench press. and who the hell does squats without weight

This is the best chart known to man kind

Me too, mate. Just do both

>5.11 130
>swole as fuck
Go hang yourself m80
Once you get below 15%bf with an "overweight" BMI, then you can be considered to lift.
>t. Lifting+calisthenics

>Not everybody has the same goals, you nitwit.

Yes, but calisthenics achieves no goal optimally. If you want aesthetics and/or strength, weightlifting is the optimal route. If you want endurance, aerobic training with a monitored heart rate is the optimal route. Everything else is pointless, unless you're training for a specific sport.

They shit on it because they think getting fit on something so simple means all of the effort they put forth in DA GYM is meaningless.

Their entire sense of self revolves around the iron game and lifting weights.

Or their shills pushing a crappy powerlifting program, supps, steroids, and gym life to absolute noobs who don't know any better.

Yeah, cause people who do calisthenics don't get aesthetic or strong.

Cause people who've only done calisthenics and never touched a weight can't out squat people in an ass to grass squat with minimum training?

Yeah nah. The average slightly advanced calisthenics person can get strength "aesthetics" and have that transfer EASILY to lifting.

Chinups activate the same amount of lats than pullups. Pullups moreso isolate lats whereas Chinups make it a more compound movement because of added biceps.

>assisted squate
Are these somehow better/different from regular squats or are there people somewhere who can't do an unassisted bodyweight squat before training? Genuinely interested.

No. Pullups/chinups are weird, really the only way to get better at them is to do them.

Do negatives

>doing the 7 weeks to 50 pullup progression
>week 2 right now
>need to do australian pullups
>don't have anything that I can use to do them
>mfw

Smith machine. Or if you don't go to a park near you that has bodyweight equipment. There's always one everywhere I go whether I'm in ohio, North Dakota, Minnesota, or Florida.

Be that weirdo who goes to playgrounds and do them on monkey bars

Lifting with weights is better for gains.
I did calisthenics for years and made all the progress you see on the left. 3 years ago I switched to lifting and right is current.

If you ask me, it was the lifting.
Also legs. Legs need weight training to be trained properly. Pic related.

pullups gives additional forearm work though
do both and more (neutral grip, horizontal bw rows etc)

how tall are you?

Yeah must feel AMAZING doing calisthenics when you weigh 130lbs....

I literally weigh 1.75X as much as you at the same height.

>MFW I do weighted chins

did you ever do weighted pullups or dips?

>Yeah, cause people who do calisthenics don't get aesthetic or strong

they do get "aesthetic", if by aesthetic you mean ottermode, but the mass and strength you achieve with freeweights is a lot bigger and the progression a lot faster.

>Cause people who've only done calisthenics and never touched a weight can't out squat people in an ass to grass squat with minimum training

yes but what's the point of that comparison? if you take someone that lifted a year and someone that did bodyweight exercises for a year, the results aren't even comparable.

>The average slightly advanced calisthenics person can get strength "aesthetics" and have that transfer EASILY to lifting

and again, there is no reason to do that. calisthenics is like lifting but never raising the weight, yeah sure you will make some gains at first but the weight will become light eventually and you will be able to do most shit for 15-20 reps. after that happens, you're training endurance friend. without progressive overload, you cannot train strength past noobgains

also lets not forget that calisthenics won't train half your body, since there aren't any serious leg exercises you can do without weights

Living in a 3rd world country can't afford common shit like jungle gyms/rails/etc.

Although I already got a pullup bar at home. Would be weird if I went back and forth

>they do get "aesthetic", if by aesthetic you mean ottermode, but the mass and strength you achieve with freeweights is a lot bigger and the progression a lot faster.
By "asethetic" I assume you mean like Zyzz or Seid or Panda correct? That level of "aesthetic" comes from a syringe. And once you do gear it doesn't fucking matter what exercise you do.

>yes but what's the point of that comparison? if you take someone that lifted a year and someone that did bodyweight exercises for a year, the results aren't even comparable.
Results in what?
What are you even saying. Is that just some "LIFTING WEIGHTS IS BETTER JUST BECAUSE" bullshit with no actual thought behind it like the rest of this post is bound to be?

>and again, there is no reason to do that. calisthenics is like lifting but never raising the weight, yeah sure you will make some gains at first but the weight will become light eventually and you will be able to do most shit for 15-20 reps. after that happens, you're training endurance friend. without progressive overload, you cannot train strength past noobgains
Fucking stupid.

>also lets not forget that calisthenics won't train half your body, since there aren't any serious leg exercises you can do without weights
Fucking stupid.

Okay you're fucking stupid.
I regret replying to you.

>and again, there is no reason to do that. calisthenics is like lifting but never raising the weight, yeah sure you will make some gains at first but the weight will become light eventually and you will be able to do most shit for 15-20 reps. after that happens, you're training endurance friend. without progressive overload, you cannot train strength past noobgains
>also lets not forget that calisthenics won't train half your body, since there aren't any serious leg exercises you can do without weights

you've never trained in calisthenics, have you?

You can still "increase the weight" buy altering the leverage.
example: start with a normal push up, progress to diamond push ups, then to pseudo planche push ups, then to tuck planche push ups...

That's a fucking nice chart right there, thanks man

This reminds me of War Thunder vehicle progression.

routine? stats?

>been called "the skinniest person I've ever seen" by a friend at college while at the pool

normies never realize how much those kind of comments affect us do they

>By "asethetic" I assume you mean like Zyzz or Seid or Panda correct? That level of "aesthetic" comes from a syringe. And once you do gear it doesn't fucking matter what exercise you do.

i never said that. by aesthetic i mean something like 6' 80-85kg at 9-10% bf, which isnt achievable with bodyweight exercises unless you're juicing. but even if you are juicing, you'll have better results weightlifting

>Results in what?
strength and muscle mass

>What are you even saying. Is that just some "LIFTING WEIGHTS IS BETTER JUST BECAUSE" bullshit with no actual thought behind it like the rest of this post is bound to be?

No it's not, you compared someone who has been doing calisthenics for some time vs a minimally trained lifter. I asked you what the point of that comparison is, and told you that if you compare 2 people that have trained equal time, one with calisthenics and one with free weights, the second one will have achieved both superior muscle mass gain and strength

>Fucking stupid.

or you're just an idiot that doesn't know about human physiology. your strength increases only when you train at a certain % of your 1rm, after that you aren't training strength anymore. once your 1rm becomes a lot bigger than your bodyweight, you will be training at endurance weights.

and calisthenics do not train your legs, since there is no bodyweight exercise to provide the resistance needed to properly train your legs. but at this point i realize i'm either responding to b8 and an extremely idiotic person. either way, for anyone else besides you that's reading this and was legitimately curious about it, i've explained why it's meme tier training comparable to x-fit.

My view on the benefits of calisthenics is this; the human arm is very close to the arms of our predecessors, chimps & gorillas. The arm evolved with climbing trees, bodyweight calisthenics, as its main use.

Chimps and gorillas are in general pretty muscular and the movements used the most by them, while climbing trees, are most similiar to one and two handed variants of regular pull ups and neutral grip pull ups.

You don't really understand do you.

They don't WANT to get as swole as possible Many people don't want to follow the pied piper of bullshit natty gains to gear town.

Efficiency?
Better?
For a goal they don't want or care for?

Who're you trying sell that shit too.

>or you're just an idiot that doesn't know about human physiology. your strength increases only when you train at a certain % of your 1rm, after that you aren't training strength anymore. once your 1rm becomes a lot bigger than your bodyweight, you will be training at endurance weights.
>and calisthenics do not train your legs, since there is no bodyweight exercise to provide the resistance needed to properly train your legs.

What do you mean by properly train your legs?
Do squats?
You can do pistol squats and glute ham raises.
You don't really have to ever do a squat or deadlift ever.

By the way, disadvantagous leverage makes certain movements very hard.
Unless you are stating that you can do multiple one arm chinups or one legged squats.
I mean calisthenics is really really easy.

>Calisthenics only on the left
Looks like you did literally nothing and on the right it looks like you did babbys first cycle and squats.

When I started training pre-enlistment I got stuck at about 70 push ups in 2 minutes, still a skeleton faggot, but once i started adding lifting to my routine i broke through my wall to 90 pushups. In my experience it made more since to supplement one with the other to achieve my specific goal.

Fucking kill me
*sense not since

>>+++functional strength
>No such thing. If a muscle is strong, it's strong.

Unassisted Pistol Squats are a bitch...

>Evolution
>Believing in jewish fairytales

Poorfag here.

This took $5 to build.
If you want a bar, Just use a broom stick.

The cat is an essential part of this apparatus. Should you fail to get the last minimum rep, you get the look of pity.
Should you surpass rep till muscle failure, you get the look of pity.

Until you evolve from DYEL Status, Calisthenics Cat only rewards you with the loo of pity.

thank you willow

>Chinups activate the same amount of lats than pullups.
No, they don't, because the biceps take over more on chinups, compared with pullups. Pullups hit lats better because of the disadvantaged position of the biceps.

youtube.com/watch?v=FnWrvWZDJTo

and legs?

Pistol squats... pistol squats for days.

youtube.com/watch?v=hCpz8QW1O3w

or see here.

>Fatasfatass who can't even do handstand let alone hold it for 5 seconds

Calisthenics is impressive on the advanced level. I think it would be cool if I could do handstand pushups anywhere or do muscle ups anywhere to impress people.

They are entry level for anyone that has walked in the past 5 years and isn't morbidly obese

>pistol squats are for fat people

Lol wut? No. This is where calisthenics is misunderstood. It’s one thing to be able to complete a rep, it’s another thing to be able to complete a PROPER rep. it's usually hard to make it gain in such a way that allows you to build up progressive overload. Once a exercise becomes easy at 20 reps, you have to change leverage or add weight.
If it's easy, your doing it wrong. Proper form and equal time under tension per leg is not an easy thing to do. It's the last two reps that matter, doing 15-20-20 gets your legs pumped up like a balloon. Once that gets easy, then you will have no choice but to add weight,

I believe the calisthenics community uses weights for lunges or goblet squats. Scooby is a big calisthenics/home workout supporter but he says he still goes to the gym for legs typically.

What's a good routine? Is this ok?

Little bit of running to warm up my body
5x5 pull-ups
5x5 pushups
5x5 squats

full one legged squats fuck my knees up real good, due to the range of motion and the leverage required, i think. i have no problem doing them, but god help me if i try to do them 3x a week: my knees had this perma soreness that i thought would go away after i got used to the level of exertion. it wasn't exactly painful, but it was bothersome, and to make it go away entirely i had to stop doing anything for an entire month.

i went back to shrimps.

If your just going to do calisthenics you might as well go /fraud/ so youll gain more

>i'd throw in dips, body rows, and some form of ab work. Also work into single leg squats, bulgarian split or deep step ups then shrimps or pistols