Depression and Veeky Forums thread

How do you manage to stay in the gym if you've got really bad depression?

Have you ever overcame dealing with your depression and gotten fit? if so any advice?

about me:

>used to be fit at 5'10
>started at 160lb in my wrestling team in hs
>now 215lbs
>always low energy
>try going to the gym
>leave after doing some cardio and doing a couple of sets

I really want to get better but something keeps dragging me down hard

Push through it. Eventually you get a lot more energy and you feel fucking great, wake up earlier in the day feeling awake and ready to do shit. I've been in a similar place. All I can say is if you force yourself, it'll eventually work for you

i use lifting to cope with depression, gives me something to look forward to and feel good about afterwards

I pushed through it and lifting made me feel alot better, i also had school and a good job to support me
Plus i managed to find out the reason i was so depressed was of how much i focused on dating and how shitty it is, those thoughts still pop up every now and again but i manage to supress them now that i know where all my sadness and anger come from

Just push through it and try to find out what makes you depressed user

Teenage depression AKA "a bloo bloo, my white middle class life is torture"? Lifting is one of the best things to do.

Actual clinical depression which requires medication? Go to the doctor, get your meds, then start lifting as well.

I'm feeling somewhat similar. Work out with a gym buddy if you can.

Otherwise, I find I seem to hit a 'wall' after doing a few lifts, and want to leave early. Force yourself to carry on, and you'll feel fantastic after a while. Endorphins will hit ya

Anyone here have any experience with anti-depressants? if so do you believe lifting can be a substitute for those

>things only matter if you're in Africa

>>/reddit/

This. It gets better. It's all about mindset.

You are the only one in charge of your happiness.

I sat around and mopped waiting for someone to fix it waaaaayyyy too long, until I got tired of it and did something.

I still get bouts, but overall I am way better and happier all the time.

I'm actually 23 now

Yes. Lifting (and getting fit in general) helped me more than any other motivation or reasons. I started lifting to have a stress release, then it became a hobby, then I started swimming and running. Eventually it helped keep me sane at work and through my studies. I have pretty bad depression now, but literally the best I feel is in the gym, and directly after. The days I am unable to lift I feel like a worthless scumbag. Not only for looks, but getting into shape and being capable did a lot for self-confidence. If you cannot push yourself to exercise, you are setting yourself up for a harsher depression.

FYI famalam, I'm on Cygen at the moment. Works better for me than SSRIs.

inject testosterone

Have experience with two SSRIs, MAOI and anti-anxiety meds. Lifting is not a substitute. Gurls are not a substitute. Take meds, start lifting, improve your life, feel self-worth. Once you love yourself, you are in a better place for a relationship.

Good luck mate.

I literally only go to the gym because I'm depressed. The endorphins feel good and of my bodies tired enough I can't feel feelings.

i agree for the most part. however, even after improving his circumstances he may still need meds, if he has clinical depression that is. lifting and improving life will definitely curb the symptoms

the pills can have some side-effects that suck

user, give some acupuncture a try - a few sessions - and if you're still thinking about trying anti-depressants go see your doc

buy.fucking.preworkout.

a good routine where you make consistent progress to stay motivated by combined with an assload of stimulant euphora and the resulting sense of accomplishment post workout.

also avoiding all downers/depressant drugs like the plague but weed is ok to relax and sleep at night AFTER GETTING A LOT OF SHIT DONE THAT DAY.

oh yeah, fish oil + sunlight + nofap

I think lifting might help if you can be consistent about it, but in my case medication was the difference between a) exercising every day for a month or two before crashing and b) exercising every day with a minor lapse every few weeks.

Not having suicidal thoughts every day (sometimes every hour of the day) is great, too.

So you're recommending a placebo?

Used to have awful acne and I decided to start lifting and get on accutane. Still hate life idrk what to do anymore it fucking sucks

Acne scars are still a little there that's why I posted this

>>>but I don't WANNA help myself I just want everyone to feel bad for meeeee :((((

It might not work for you, but when I get depressed or I feel out of it, I set up the weight on the bar, turn on my favorite lifting song all the way up, breathe in and out, extremely slowly, and smile like a fucking retard at myself in the mirror. You don't necessarily need to stay in the zone for the entire work out, but push through as many times as you can, until you're lifting out of pure muscle memory.

Please do not wear earrings, they're on their way out as a male fashion accessory, the only people still wearing them are:
Dude bros
Spics
Gays
Drug dealers

If you fall into one of those categories, whatever, but they are seriously not ok anymore man.

Chill im a kid, I'm 19 and I know plenty of people that wear them. I'm not some 40 year man going through a mid life crisis.

I went to a doc and a therapist, got properly diagnosed, took antidepressants, did therapy. They recommended I exercise, started going to gym, mood improved, did more gym, fixed diet, did more gym, fixed diet more.

I wouldn't say lifting or cardio are acceptable substitutes if you've got legitimate chronic depression. However, in my personal experience, I found my overall mood to be much better and the bouts of depression much less crushing once I started taking care of myself and working out.

You do you man, all i'm saying is earrings have been in steady decline in terms of male fashion item and amount of people who use them, hop off before it's too late (which it already kind of is)

Life is suffering, the only cure is to push back and get stronger.

Okay OP here's what you do:

- If you enjoy or once enjoyed going to the gym, definitely continue going.You might want to either find an alternative method of exercise, or change up your routine in the gym.

-Have a cup of coffee before every workout

-Listen to some happy tunes in the gym, I used to listen to Judas Priest and Dio, I now listen to 70s and 80s pop songs that I like. It sounds faggy, but it definitely changed my mood a lot

>How do you manage to stay in the gym if you've got really bad depression?

start thinking in things that will anger you, very easy when you are depressed

when in anger, go and lift

I keep my depression in check but I swear every two months (this is like a clock) it just overwhelms me

today I was reading a greentext story and I started to think in my oneitis and how fucking alone I am and how not any amount of lifting will change this and everything spiraled out of control, I'm 30 years old and I never had any kind of relationship and I'm getting really tired of it, I can feel the pressure in my chest by the impotence that generates me

I will kill myself in one of this lows

Make a habit out of it, like going to work. Good luck man.