What are power cleans doing in a beginner routine?

What are power cleans doing in a beginner routine?

I know it's an awesome exercise, but most people running the routine will be out-of-shape noobies who don't have access to an OLY coach.
Learning the move by yourself will just result in ingrained bad technique and injury in the long run.

Rows would be superior IMO.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fFc2gL1vgKg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Power cleans don't require an oly coach. Just jerk the weight up as far as possible and get in the quarter squat position. Sure it's a bit more technical than squat, diddly, bench and press but it's still not too difficult, if you look up videos on form.

it says to not do PC until you are familiar with DL.

once you know how to properly DL, learning how to clean is not hard and you don't need a coach.

you can't even compare rows to PC

Why not? They're both supposed to grow your upper and mid traps, except rows also hit your lats, biceps and rear delts.

Rip sells PCs as a diddly accessory, just do speed or snatch grip diddlies if you can't clean
>rows
If you squat, diddly and pull up there is zero point or benefit in rowing

Power cleans are not meant to train any particular muscle as much as they are meant to be a good compound movement that develops your rate of force production.

For the purposes of powerlifting (despite the name), rate of force production is all but irrelevant. Peak power output is around 30-60% 1rm, and the sport does not show a bias towards fast twitch fibers at the highest levels (unlike any sport where RFP is very important).

SS is based off of old linear progression routines that high school kids would do to train for football. For football, RFP is very useful and power cleans are a good exercise to train it with.

PCs are a pretty piss poor deadlift accessory, and I don't think Rippetoe even sells them as such.

>Just jerk the weight up as far as possible
Say farewell to your shoulders and elbows beforehand.

If the weight is heavy enough, you shouldn't be able to do high pull with your power clean weight.

>For football, RFP is very useful and power cleans are a good exercise to train it with.
What about sprints?
>PCs are a pretty piss poor deadlift accessory
True.
>and I don't think Rippetoe even sells them as such.
He actually does, the absolute madman. Read the book.

He doesn't really. They're in there as a combination power movement/light pull for when you can't recover from heavy pulling every session. Not because rip thinks they're the best deadlift builder.

>Rows would be superior IMO
Barbell rows and espacially pendlay rows will be difficult for beginner too.

>jerk the weight up as far as possible
>retard: confirmed

>If you squat, diddly and pull up there is zero point or benefit in rowing

Retarded

Okay let me breath some wisdom onto you guys. Listen up:

>Powercleans are used for developing power. You can squat, bench or press slowly and grind it out but you CANNOT powerclean slowly, because it will not rack.

>SS is based off of old linear progression routines that high school kids would do to train for football. For football, RFP is very useful and power cleans are a good exercise to train it with.
This.
SS is inspired by off-season football routine which is not good GENERAL strength routine FOR EVERYONE.

thats why he says to eat 3 - 6,000 calories brah

Amazing, elaborate reply. I finally know now.

How is developing power not an aspect of building strength? The book isn't called Starting Bodybuilding/Powerlifting

The target audience of Starting Strength seems to be high school football players looking to bulk up in time for the season.

The power clean practices generating explosive movements which helps in sports.

I just want to look good so I don't care.

>How is developing power not an aspect of building strength?
Because Sheiko thinks so. Sheiko > Rippetoe.

youtube.com/watch?v=fFc2gL1vgKg