Fighting

Does Veeky Forums actually know how to fight?

What kind of martial arts do you guys do and what types of lifts help in that martial arts training?

started mma last week, this far body have been wrecked, been combining first bb routine then mma, on a cut..

Zercher squats
Olympic lifts
Plyometrics (jumping back squats, box jumps, etc)

Imo just do a basic bitch strength program like gslp or ss until your noob gains run our, then focus on sport-specific training

muay thai twice a week for two hours and standard lifting the other three days

it's fun

wrestled since kids club till senior in highschool, will still spar with my friend atleast once a week. if i was actually in a fight would just try to get in close as quick as i could and take them down, feel like it would work on most normal people, any one trained in striking would fuck my shit up tho probably

Since this thread is new, What type of fighting should I go into(Or whats the most beneficial in your opinion)? Any good starting recommendations?

Neato, thank you friend.

Been training in MMA for almost 2 years everyday best thing in my life

Literally just got out of my MMA class

How much is it?

Muay thai for 2 years after watching the UFC since 2009. The reason I mention the UFC is that I actually tried to learn from the fighters, not just for entertainment.

no I'm getting big so I can intimidate people without fighting, play stupid games win stupid prizes

fighting physique is often unaesthetic

also just get a gun

been thinking about joining a bjj gym but it seems like a pretty meme martial art for self-defense.

maybe just take up boxing.

Beginner at boxing, guys, plz tell me how to block body shots and find openings in my opponent's defense to hit their body. Our sparring sessions consist of no headshots and only body shots, but they don't all go easy on me.

Btw, how often should I go jogging a week?

Boxing and bjj are both good for learning to fight but boxing covers a wider range of fighting aspects.

It teaches you to punch, block and how to move (footwork), three most basic and common aspects of fighting.

Start off in boxing, the cardio is amazing for low stamina dyels like me.

Then take up a second martial art that brings something new, like muay thai for kicks, wrestling or bjj for groundfighting and stand up grappling.

Best way is to know many techniques that you are good at, but begin with one, any one.

>ameridote

Is this like rex-kwon-do?

I'm a broke college kid. Is boxing the cheapest fighting style to take? I'm not trying to be a pro or go around fighting crazy fuckers. I just want to learn something to do with my bros.

I think so. Depends on your country. Here in Australia, it's pretty cheap to do it in the university boxing clubs.

Prepared for some smartasses and people going a little too rough on you, and of course prepared to get hit.

All in all, it's good though.

Both those comments were by me.

What kind of lift should I be doing? I know I'll be running a lot so I'll probably be a lot more lean, which I'm ok with.

I know a fair amount about American small arms & carry a concealed pistol as necessary...

My idea of fighting is avoid one at all costs, or bring a gun to a knife fight as worst case scenario

If I'm going to get in gunfight - I want a rifle

I'm not too sure since I'm beginner, but what I was told was low weights, high reps, pull ups, push ups and stuff like squats and skipping rope.

Is he right?

I grew up with an older brother. We fought constantly, and I was pleasantly surprised to find myself able to ggez pretty much anybody I ran into in school, since I was used to fighting someone much bigger and older than me.

I've been doing BJJ for about 5 years now. A boxer friend and I traded grappling for boxing training one day a week for about a year, so I know striking basics at least.

That being said, I'm kind of a pussy, so I'd never want to do striking or MMA as a hobby. I wanted to at least learn the basics for self defense though.

For lifts I'd say SS + MA training is fine.

I'm pretty new to martial arts, so forgive my lack of knowledge, but is there any reason to choose boxing over kickboxing other then lack of available kickboxing classes? Wouldn't kickboxing be a complete upgrade over boxing?

Depends on what you want. I'd pick a boxer in a street fight, but a kickboxer in the ring.

They are surprisingly different (in that kickboxing isn't just boxing + kicks.)

In a self-defense situation, most experts say that you want to avoid high kicks, if not kicks all together, so getting really good at hand strikes might be a more efficient use of time (for self defense at least.)

But then, supposedly you also want to avoid punches in favor of slaps, palm strikes, elbows etc. because you are liable to break your hand.

tl;dr depends on what you want to do.

Not really. He's from Dagestan. People from Dagestan train like fuck crazy people.

Sambo training is certainly harder though.

>This
Lift for aesthetics and take the walk of peace with your fellow man. You could still waste normies but leave fighting for the large classless boars whilst having all the women for yourself.

gr8 b8 m8

You should do BJJ
It will expand your mind to another world of grappling
try to out work them
it probably won't work but you will get better at it over time
Boxing and kickboxing are completely different with different spacing.

yeah, i do modern arnis

Not anymore but I used to do oly tkd (I know, not really fighting), muy thai, bjj, oly wrestling. I learned to box a bit too but not from training at a legit gym so I don't claim to know shit about boxing. Oh and in highschool if the party ended up being a sausage fest we would just turn it into fight night. Great times